The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Auction System

Liquidushime

People typically don't like them, but spamming sales in the trade chat is annoying, and it's the only way to do things. I think an auction system accessed from a clan kiosk would be the best thing to do; lores-wise Darvo could have his hands in the pot and be the "lore" behind the system. Players put up things for sale, pay a little tax (clan tax based) and people can browse to find the best price.

Nice thing is, gold sellers would need to make a clan, and a kiosk to even try to sale something. Trade chat could still be there, but more business could be accomplished, this chat system is slow and time consuming. An auction set up (with the same rules as the chat would be eons better than one guy sitting for hours, spamming MASSIVE selling messages and washing the chat away with noise and bad deals.

The Limit of Mastery would still be there as well, MEANING: Gold Sellers would have to rank up and make a clan to even trade, and the regular dojo based clan trade can remain the same with this added system. More platinum moving, more people buying platinum for shopping in the auction house, and trading will still be normal.

DE gets money, players get a better, non spammy way to sell and buy.

Edited by Liquidushime

EverQuest Players: "Back in my day, we didn't have your fancy smancy auction houses! We actually had to converse and barter with each other! Face to face!

I actually like that though. An auction house miiight be better for the game, but not yet. Not until sky rail hubs are added. We need to social aspect of trading until we have those hubs. Even though the face to face trading might be even better with those hubs.

We'll see.

EverQuest Players: "Back in my day, we didn't have your fancy smancy auction houses! We actually had to converse and barter with each other! Face to face!

I actually like that though. An auction house miiight be better for the game, but not yet. Not until sky rail hubs are added. We need to social aspect of trading until we have those hubs. Even though the face to face trading might be even better with those hubs.

We'll see.

Wasn't it East Karana? or something like that?

When did he ever mention a real money auction house?

Well, we can trade for platinum, so it kinda is, BUT platinum can't be flipped into cash, so gold sellers wouldn't be a thing. It would be a slightly cleaner system overall. I want to sell 30 plat worth of stuff, but spamming that chat for 5 minutes made me angry. I'm just going to farm one day at a time.

Platinum trading is the same thing almost the same.

No really.

Platinum is still just a currency for the game. You might use real money to get it, but it doesn't come out as real money (easily). Otherwise you'd might as well just use real money.

Which brings us to real money auction houses, where the barrier of entry to make real life money from the game in completely gone. Gold farming? It's now called Money farming. And EVERYONE is a money farmer. You can treat the game like work if you wished. The game's economy mixes with our own at that point.

Edited by SolidSp33d

auction houses are a terrible idea they Always wind up getting abused and send the economy of game into an out of control spiral.  unless the devs are going to put some sort of price control on items which in its self tick people off too

Edited by Cargan2015

No really.

Platinum is still just a currency for the game. You might use real money to get it, but it doesn't come out as real money (easily). Otherwise you'd might as well just use real money.

Which brings us to real money auction houses, where the barrier of entry to make real life money from the game in completely gone. Gold farming? It's now called Money farming. And EVERYONE is a money farmer. You can treat the game like work if you wished. The game's economy mixes with our own at that point.

Whenever you introduce an auction house in a game, the wolves show up. If you're fine with players making it their life goal to control the prices of auctioned goods in their favor, then feel free to support the suggestion.

However, scalping is bad enough now without adding an express line to bend players over. But it doesn't bother me one bit because I'll never use it either way.

I'm just trying to warn others based on the experience I've had in every single game that has ever had an auction house.

auction houses are a terrible idea they Always wind up getting abused and send the economy of game into an out of control spiral.  unless the devs are going to put some sort of price control on items which in its self &!$$ people off too

It doesn't ALWAYS spiral out of control. It just requires a lot of maintenance in terms of preventing exploits, and not introducing anything that would disrupt the market too much. Granted it does happen often. It'd be a lot of work and they'd probably need to hire an economist. With the oversights of things like the invasion system I don't think it would be a good idea for them to watch the economy themselves do you? XD

Yeah, it would be tricky. But in general I think the trading face to face will be WAY better when you can actually do it face to face in the hubs. A whole section set aside for that with cool features would be sweet.

auction houses are a terrible idea they Always wind up getting abused and send the economy of game into an out of control spiral.  unless the devs are going to put some sort of price control on items which in its self &!$$ people off too

The selling/buying economy are player responsibility; if people want to buy Ammo Drums for 1000plat, they can. I surely won't buy anything for that much. I haven't even sold or bought anything since the chat came out. Now a simple price cap based on rarity would work. Ammo Drum vs Hells Chamber = Not even worth it vs I have ONE since the closed beta, EVER; I've never even seen one drop, I'd shell out 2-8 plat for it in a hearbeat.

Whenever you introduce an auction house in a game, the wolves show up. If you're fine with players making it their life goal to control the prices of auctioned goods in their favor, then feel free to support the suggestion.

However, scalping is bad enough now without adding an express line to bend players over. But it doesn't bother me one bit because I'll never use it either way.

I'm just trying to warn others based on the experience I've had in every single game that has ever had an auction house.

exactly all an auction house will do is draw the gold/credit farming people to the game and have them drive prices of AH up so high because there will always be the gullible players out there living with mommie and daddie so no expenses that throw thier money into a game.  

Oh I know about the struggles of auction houses in general. I wasn't saying that, I was setting the distinction between those types of auction houses. Real money ones are just WAAAY worse.

That aside, yeah I'm not so sure about adding an AH to the game. I agree, it's going to be a little too cut throat. They can be pretty fun and healthy in some cases. But again, it's tricky. I think we should see how things go with the current system once the hubs are introduced. Man I hole those hubs come soon. Not soon tm.

Edited by SolidSp33d