Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Male/female Tenno

unsiezer

I couldnt find anything hitting on this topic, so I figured I could bring it up. I know with Developer stream #22 there was a lot of talk about personalization of ones character. So is It a reasonable request to allow players to choose if there Tenno is male/female and have there Warframe Look as such. I Dont think this would be easy because they would have to create a second animation set/Model for each warframe but I know its not impossible. I just think It would be a nice custimization option, and it would be cool to see what a male Banshee, or female Necros would look like assuming each warframe could be used by any gender.

I couldnt find anything hitting on this topic, so I figured I could bring it up.

It doesn't seem you looked very hard... this thing is brought up at least once a week. Usually by someone explaining in very broken english that he can't play as a female out of fear of becoming a transvestite or #$$ or something.... (well I made that last part up but it kind of seem like that is what they are trying to say)

Edit: holy censorship batman! The "other word for happiness" is censored? Isn't that a bit excessive?

Edited by igulfast

I believe DE has stated they plan on keeping frames gender-locked, but plan on introducing equivalent frames each of the opposite gender (Oberon as the male version of Trinity, for example).

Who by the way is nothing like Trinity. Which defeats the purpose of character personalization.

That's why the concept DE proposed isn't very good.

Besides, with the addition of the PSO-like hubs, frames will now definitely not be characters, which makes set-gender-frames feel quite limited regarding customization.

I couldnt find anything hitting on this topic, so I figured I could bring it up. I know with Developer stream #22 there was a lot of talk about personalization of ones character. So is It a reasonable request to allow players to choose if there Tenno is male/female and have there Warframe Look as such. I Dont think this would be easy because they would have to create a second animation set/Model for each warframe but I know its not impossible. I just think It would be a nice custimization option, and it would be cool to see what a male Banshee, or female Necros would look like assuming each warframe could be used by any gender.

You didn't search very hard if you couldn't find any threads on the topic. If you had, you would see the same responses in pretty much all of them, both opinions for and against. I guess I could dig up one of my responses. I don't feel like rewriting the paragraph/s.

Here is my quote:

"A quick search will let you find threads about the same exact topic with the same exact responses both for and against. Maybe just necro one of those instead of making yet another one that will soon be lost to the forums. That way all this bickering is kept in one place and everyone can know where it is and jump in if they feel so inclined.

The official statement is they don't plan on gender bending. If DE does go with opposite gender frames they will have the same theme, but different powers. A possibility that was mentioned is that these opposite gender frames and their original counter part might be able to swap powers between them. Until DE says otherwise, this is their public statement on the subject. This, if implemented, will certainly not be now or in the near future.

Again, the search button is there for a reason. Be so kind as to use it."

Edited by ragdollomega

Usually by someone explaining in very broken english that he can't play as a female out of fear of becoming a transvestite or #$$ or something.... (well I made that last part up but it kind of seem like that is what they are trying to say)

That has only been twice as far as I've seen. Generalizing helps no one.

Edit: Though I must clarify that responses in threads that has the contents you described is in quite an abundance.

Edited by ragdollomega

Generalizing helps no one.

Lol.

But, seriously, I've seen this thread dozens(hundreds?) of times, and never have I ever seen an even remotely useful explanation as to *why* anyone would want this.

Also, oddly, it's always asked for as "male or female", totally ignoring the people that honestly would rather not have any gender at all on their warframe if they're forced to pick one. Nobody ever asks for neutral or ambiguous genders when demanding frame gender changes. I think that says a LOT about the actual problem that inspires people to ask.

Lol.

But, seriously, I've seen this thread dozens(hundreds?) of times, and never have I ever seen an even remotely useful explanation as to *why* anyone would want this.

Also, oddly, it's always asked for as "male or female", totally ignoring the people that honestly would rather not have any gender at all on their warframe if they're forced to pick one. Nobody ever asks for neutral or ambiguous genders when demanding frame gender changes. I think that says a LOT about the actual problem that inspires people to ask.

I'm just saying that the OPs of these threads bring up a small varying degree of reasons. There isn't just one type of posted OPs put up on the subject. There are, like, 5 different OP posts (though maybe I'm being generous with 5).

Like I said, I've only seen 2 OPs that give the qualities Igulfast described. Others bring up: because choices, because wondering (since they didn't use the search feature at all), and because anyone against this has gender identity issues. Though I guess that last one would go along with the previous 2 and not seperate. So 3 types. Close enough.

I'm just saying that the OPs of these threads bring up a small varying degree of reasons. There isn't just one type of posted OPs put up on the subject. There are, like, 5 different OP posts (though maybe I'm being generous with 5).

Like I said, I've only seen 2 OPs that give the qualities Igulfast described. Others bring up: because choices, because wondering (since they didn't use the search feature at all), and because anyone against this has gender identity issues. Though I guess that last one would go along with the previous 2 and not seperate. So 3 types. Close enough.

Er, okay, you're way-over-analyzing the fact I responded to you.

Let's try this again: Take your quote out of context entirely, ignore EVERYTHING you meant:

"Generalizing helps no one."

That's a generalization.

Think about it very carefully. Then laugh.

Er, okay, you're way-over-analyzing the fact I responded to you.

Let's try this again: Take your quote out of context entirely, ignore EVERYTHING you meant:

That's a generalization.

I got it now. I can be slow on the uptake sometimes. And I do laugh. Thank you.

Well one way to look at it is the art team can spend their time rehashing a alternate gender for a warframe that basically only has different 'bumps' here or there or spend their time making new and different looking warframes.  I personally know which I'd prefer (the latter obviously)

Quite honetly though, as an example swap oberon and trinities powers and bam, male trinity/ female oberon.  It's that little of a difference for gender swap effect once you have unique frames (frames really dont play out all that differently if they are similar).

That has only been twice as far as I've seen. Generalizing helps no one.

Edit: Though I must clarify that responses in threads that has the contents you described is in quite an abundance.

I find that normally the situation is someone saying that they don't LIKE playing as the opposite sex, and then it devolves into some sort of liberal screamfest of people saying they're &*$$phobic, anti-trans, and intolerant.

I would just like to apologize to the world for my generation of Americans....lots of idiots :(

They preach for freedom of speech until they don't like it, then they whine about how people with different opinions should shut the hell up.

Edited by Thaumatos

I find that normally the situation is someone saying that they don't LIKE playing as the opposite sex, and then it devolves into some sort of liberal screamfest of people saying they're &*$$phobic, anti-trans, and intolerant.

I would just like to apologize to the world for my generation of Americans....lots of idiots :(

They preach for freedom of speech until they don't like it, then they whine about how people with different opinions should shut the hell up.

Those types of insults are being tossed from both sides of the argument, which I find kind of funny actually.

That's a generalization.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

Quite honetly though, as an example swap oberon and trinities powers and bam, male trinity/ female oberon.  It's that little of a difference for gender swap effect once you have unique frames (frames really dont play out all that differently if they are similar).

Yes, I would find that acceptable (and I'm sure many others would too), but they'd need to have the same stats and they have to be able to exchange their powers. Otherwise they do not fulfill the player's expectations to be able to play "a male Ash" or a "female Rhino".

This particular topic has been discussed time and time again, but it will always return as there is a sizable number of players who understandably prefer to play as the gender they identify as. No complaints about it though.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/179314-suggestion-male-and-female-models-for-every-warframe/?hl=%2Bgender+%2Bwarframes#entry2090793

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/171732-warframe-genders/?hl=%2Bgender+%2Bwarframes

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/153650-changable-warframe-genders-and-parts-from-other-warframes/?hl=%2Bgender+%2Bwarframes#entry1807521

At some point long ago, DE did say that if alternate gender versions of Warframes were to happen, they'd have different design/functions within the same theme. Though I'm not sure at this point if DE is going to do this soon... I think it's still well within DE's power to create them, given the amount of frames there are now.

Lore wise, I'd see alt-gendered Warframes are created from their originals; they're "modern", along with Valkyr and Nova. I assume those won't have Prime variations, but can have Prime stylization? Hm.

Edited by DSMK2

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

this is the greatest reply i have seen yet on these forums... you sir rock!

Me i wouldn't mind a male version of zeph simply for role play purposes, but i see some of where the devs are coming from and some of where the players are coming from. though i do rather like the idea of a similar frame with some minor variances for the oposite gender would be great. As long as it keeps the general principle behind the original model it would add a great variance to playstyle.