Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Zephyr Means All Frames Get Passives?

Demon_Mask

@Demon_Mask

As long as they are small and dont affect the core of the game they would be great to add in.

I generally disagree with these ideas because everyone starts going "I want 50% damage reduction from fire on Ember" and not caring that it would be OP against high level grineer, and make Ruk ridiculously easy, because you could stack it with flame repellent and be immune to all fire damage which would make Ember immune to some of the biggest damage dealers (napalms and scorches) while providing absolutely no balancing feature.

Small things such as Mag sticking to metal surfaces instead of sliding down them after a wall run, or even ones that minorly affect combat such as all of Volts skills gaining in power/duration/effect if they pass near electronics (such as making his Shock deal a bit more damage or chain more, or his shield granting extra damage to bullets beyond the 50% it already does, or his speed effect being increased for a short bit if he runs by computers).

Another idea is that Frost could get greater speed boost while sliding than other frames.

If DE ever does include passives in the game they need to be minor, nothing huge.

Otherwise its another aspect of the game that would end up horribly imbalanced.

People talked about damage boosts to certain weapons above and I think thats a horrible idea. Why? Because it means that if you use any other weapon beyond those that they give a boost to you're just gimping yourself. And it lowers the viable weapon pool for a frame.

You want banshee to get +20% damage to bows? Well, now you're pretty much requiring people that want to use bows heavily to use banshee, otherwise they are just actively hurting their damage output. And 20% is a huge boost, for a maxed out DPS build on Dread you're going from ~12K to ~14K dps.

Why would you want to put something in place that would reduce player choice?

@Plasmaface

A 50% reduction would just be too powerful with absolutely no drawback.

Especially because they could then stack on a resistance mod and get to 100% immunity to their element.

Which would lead to cases of Ember being immune to some of the highest damaging enemies in the game: scorches and napalms.

It would just be far too powerful to not have any drawbacks. And please dont bring up "Make her weaker to ice!" because then that would only be the ice missions (and a subsequent restart because it wouldn't be worth it making the problem moot), very rare ice leaders, and lech krill. Overall it wouldn't be a real balancing factor/weakness at all.

@OP

While the idea of passives are interesting, I dont think that they will happen simply because balancing them would be too hard to do. Zephyr's floaty-ness can be nice, but it doesn't really affect gameplay too terribly much. Sure you can jump higher and further, but in the end in normal gameplay what advantage does that offer you?

It can be useful, but it doesn't affect the core of the game too much (that being killing enemies). So I think that if they were to do it they would have to try to think of ways to include them without affecting the core gameplay...which would be fairly challenging.

Got drawbacks of my own to propose:

Ash: When using Smoke Bomb, enemies unaffected by it will still attack at your last known location;

Banshee: Abuse of her sonic abilities may deafen for a while;

Ember: Chance for fire abilites to backfire, thus applying a DoT;

Excalibur: None, since he's the all-rounder;

Frost: All abilities have a small chance of starting a perception-reducing snowstorm;

Loki: If he keeps running while all out of stamina, you will lose health until you stop sprinting;

Mag: Her magnetic abilities are now likely to do the complete opposite (Example: Push instead of Pull);

Nekros: Tenno who forfeited can now be raised using SotD.

Nova: All of her abilities have a random factor;

Nyx: Damage done to her health will cancel her abilities except Absorb;

Oberon: Any abilities that isn't Renewal have a chance to cost health instead of energy;

Rhino: If you're not using Iron Skin, any hard-hitting strikes have a chance to stagger you;

Saryn: Your abilites have a chance to be more poisonous at the price of a bit of health;

Trinity: Abusing health abilities may overheal any ally, but will start healing enemies as well;

Valkyr: Weapons may jam, forcing you into CQC;

Vauban: Your abilities, due to them being grenade-based; may explode in your hands;

Volt: Taking more energy orbs while you are full on energy will damage your shields;

Zephyr: Heavy strikes will knock you around no matter what.

I might have other alternatives, but for now, that's what I got.

Edited by AfroGamerNinja

Zepher is the only frame with its own unique passive ability - being all floaty jumpy.

So isn't it only in the nature of tenno to be balanced and have passives on all frames?

it would certainly be interesting and even.could add a bit of lore for each frame.

I've been saying this for ages. Not necessarily on the forums, but adding passive bonuses to each 'frame would certainly help with making them unique. Making Ember take reduced fire damage, or even go so far as to be healed by fire damage, would probably be among the simplest. After all, since the loss of Overheat she is rather a squishy caster, and it would certainly make her more viable in high level Grineer missions with Napalms and Scorches all over the place, as well as right at home in an environment that's partially destroyed with little fires everywhere, since she's sadly rather pathetic against that faction otherwise.

For Nekros, I think something along the lines of... Bleedout Prevention, where after a certain number of enemy kills, he stocks up a single life-charge that saves him from dying and boosts him back up to half health, with a potential second life-charge that can be stocked up independently of the first by helping to save a teammate from bleeding out.

For Rhino... I figure that he should have inherent knockdown and stagger resistance, instead of tying it directly into Iron Skin, and that Iron Skin instead has the ability to force melee attackers back on their &#! when they hit him.

For Vauban, I'm thinking... the ability to download a map of the area directly to everyone instead of having it be discovered as they go, as well as being able to bypass hacking and just instantly undo lockdowns as well as uniquely the ability to hack the terminal to broadcast a "Crisis Averted" message, reducing enemy awareness and forcing them to no longer hunt you down until they rediscover your presence.

For Frost, I'm figuring that he would actually get doubled shields in a cold environment, rather than halved, and that, apart from the shield buff, all weapons are guaranteed to proc the Cold/Slow status whenever they proc whatever else status effect they've got on them. The shield buff could actually be in all snowy environments or cold planets rather than just frozen over areas, but including those as well.

Basically, make things interesting and unique rather than simple stat boosts.

i despise or rather dislike the idea of frames give buffs completely adherent to their them like resistances, as they would just be way to niche, but the degenerative aura or buff aura seems like a good idea, as trinity giving regen of health or energy.

the buffs would be on all frames in a radius, both encouraging frame choice for passive synergy and keeping together by not being a hallway hero

The problem is that this is exactly what Aura Mods are for in the first place. It is the reason they exist. Sure, maybe a handful of 'frames could have radial buffs, but I don't think that it should be all of them.

Edited by Ardhanarishvara

how about frost with a ice aura? Or, ember with a fire aura? These would make logical sense and add flavor than some bland, frost gets immunity to ice level mission? Really how many times do you encounter a ice mission really? Useless aura whoever suggested that. made laugh uncontrollably.

Edited by BloodArmoredApostle

My idea of passives:

Ash:

Passive: Reduced chances of being detected.

Drawback: When using Smoke Bomb, enemies unaffected by it will still attack at your last known location.

Banshee:

Passive: A sound reducing aura.

Drawback: Abuse of her sonic abilities may deafen Banshee and her fellow neighboring Tenno for a while.

Ember:

Passive: Thermal vision.

Drawback: A chance for her fire abilites to backfire, thus applying a DoT.

Excalibur: Nothing, since he's the all-rounder.

Frost:

Passive: Avalanche have a chance to create a perception-reducing snowstorm.

Drawback: Not only does it work only outdoors, but everyone, Tenno included, will be affected.

Loki: 

Passive: A speed boost for his teammates. Loki himself is unaffected, but he can keep sprinting even without stamina.

Drawback: If he keeps running while all out of stamina, you will lose health until you stop sprinting.

Mag: 

Passive: A shield regenerating aura.

Drawback: Her magnetic abilities are now likely to do the complete opposite (Example: Push instead of Pull).

Nekros: 

Passive: An aura that debuffs enemy armor and stacks with Terrify.

Drawback: Tenno who forfeited can now be raised using SotD. It may be good, not so much when the 20th enemy you killed is a heavy gunner. And said Tenno scales with your Nekros' level, not the enemy's.

Nova: 

Passive: She attracts the enemies towards her.

Drawback: All of her abilities have a random factor. Wormhole might not lead to the desired destination, MPrime might just slow down the enemies instead of having a insta-kill mechanic...

Nyx: 

Passive: Nyx is able to mark a heavy unit.

Drawback: Taking health damage will cancel any ability that isn't Absorb.

Oberon: 

Passive: An armor aura.

Drawback: Any abilities that isn't Renewal have a chance to cost health instead of energy.

Rhino: 

Passive: A perfectly-timed Iron Skin will allow you to take even less damage when it goes off.

Drawback: Unless you use Shade, you are automatically detected the moment you start the mission.

Saryn:

Passive: A poisonous aura which can deal damage to anyone around her.

Drawback: I did say anyone, right? Poisons don't discriminate, after all.

Trinity: 

Passive: Trinity sports a HoT aura, which allows to overheal everyone.

Drawback: While her powers can do the same as the aura, it will also feature the risk of healing the enemy.

Valkyr: 

Passive: Power Strength mods boost your overall melee damage.

Drawback: Weapons may jam, forcing you into CQC.

Vauban: 

Passive: You can hold out the ability button (1/2/3/4) to cook your grenade-based skills if you deem the spot unfit to use them on.

Drawback: Your abilities, due to them being grenade-based; may explode in your hands.

Volt: 

Passive: If Volt takes electric damage, he takes half of it: the rest go to his energy.

Drawback: Taking more energy orbs while you are full on energy will damage your shields.

Zephyr:

Passive: Floaty jumps.

Drawback: Heavy strikes (charged heavy melee weapon attacks, rocket launchers) will knock you around no matter what. 

Your thoughts?

Edited by AfroGamerNinja

Passives are tricky, for pretty much all elemental frames you could give them a specific resist, everything else will probably need to be thought out carefully, passives for everyone is a real possibility though.

Loki passive = more base speed.

Excal passive = faster block / faster melee swings ?

Mag passive = Takes 25% less damage from Magnetic attacks (making her shields stronk)

I'm sure it's been pointed out that Zephyr's passive is buggy as hell.

Maybe it adds that extra layer of RNG we all demanded ! Think about it, randomly working passives on all Warframes, passives that start off working then suddly decide not to, passives that can't quite make up their minds as to what they really want to be doing !

Mmmmm, RNGy.