The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

Oh so you're the other small crowd that never bothered to use two button combos in DMC. In that case, you should play it again and experience the game in a different light.

Oh wait, I got DMC confused with Metal Gear Rising. My mistake.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dmc-devil-may-cry/Eryx - Here's the fighting system I refer to.

Edited by SirAuron

Oh wait, I got DMC confused with Metal Gear Rising. My mistake.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/dmc-devil-may-cry/Eryx - Here's the fighting system I refer to.

D'oh now I feel like a jerk. Sorry, still not sure that DmC will help your arguement still. It still worked a lot like the old ones with the addition of a dedicated launch button.

Since the other comparable is vindictus and I don't know what that is like I can't really make a good comparison.

D'oh now I feel like a jerk. Sorry, still not sure that DmC will help your arguement still. It still worked a lot like the old ones with the addition of a dedicated launch button.

Since the other comparable is vindictus and I don't know what that is like I can't really make a good comparison.

Fuggedaboutit

No big deal. Mistakes happen.

Here's my favorite DMC3 combo video, quite old:

There is so much going on behind the scenes, but it's mainly the use of a series of jump-cancels to rapidly chain aerial attacks together to juggle enemies. There's a whole community of combo-video makers and an annual tournaments called "True Style Tournaments" that happened through the active life of DMC. Amazing stuff, and you get some ambitiously skillful play.

DMC3 was definitely the prime of the series.

Edit: Bonus Vindictus boss solo video; this video uses a series of "Heavy Stand Cancels" as a Sword and Shield class to obtain ultimate mobility against one of the raid bosses of the game. A Heavy Stand Cancel or HSC is achieved by cancelling certain frames in attack moves to a light block, then cancelling the light block into a heavy block (aka Heavy Stander), then letting go of the heavy block all in the span of mere fractions of a second to cut animations down. The boss was intended for 5 people, his name is Keaghan:

As a fighter game player by nature, I freaking love exploiting gameplay mechanics to make the impossible a single step closer, perfection in gameplay and deft hands will make any well-designed combat system a spectacle to behold. Edited by Aishi

I'd prefer something similar to Vindictus over something making use of timing.

yes.

Vindictus has one of my favorite melee systems, but I am also comfortable with a timing system, as well as the Ninja Gaiden combo system.

Honestly, melee orientated action/brawler games are my strongest forte` (Mortal Kombat and Ninja Gaiden 2 being my top favorites) so I'm really good with anything, as long as it's complex enough to keep me entertained and I actually have to learn something and practice it, not just mashbuttonstowin approach.

Edited by Instinction

Are There Going To Be Any Melee Combos That Require Two Buttons(Light > Heavy And Heavy > Light) Instead Of One Button?

According to this thread:

Which Melee System Would You Prefer? Time Focused Or With 2 Buttons In Sequence? <---------------------------------This thread

The majority love the combos system found in DMC, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Rising and some would actually use that more than the DC Universe timed attack combo system that comes with stances.

So can players press two buttons to activate combos(Light > Heavy and Heavy > Light)?

it would be better for warframe to have both systems like DMC has so players get the best of both worlds and not be forced to one combat system and end up finding new combat system uncomfortable. So this would open melee to everyone. It's really about comfort and having a wide variety of ways to do combos and not stuck getting killed trying a combos system many may not be familiar with as opposed to a combos system found in the mass majority of games.

I don't disagree with your general sentiment I just so want to make something clear.

The original DMC had timed combo attacks long before DC universe went online.

In terms of the Timing style. As long the results of the Client Simulation are accepted over the Server, then its all good. Most of the animations play out Client side, and unless there are two Tenno engaging a single target it should be fine.

====

Did anyone ever play Kengo: Master of Bushido? You got 4 stances to customize with 3 moves in Combo set. Some moves were based on the weapon, some had to be learned. You also got a "special" attack purely based on the weapon. You had about 3 functional buttons: Attack, Block, Parry.

I know that's not what we're getting but since we're talking about melee combat systems....

Edited by Brasten

I think I missed something. We know that Melee 2.0 is coming in U13, but were we given any indication on their progress on U13? The last update release-related information pertains to last week.

Am I totally off the ball on this, or are we in for a big surprise?

I'm hoping that we can get some type of "rising strike". If knocked to the ground we could hold E or something to do an uninteruptable spinning strike, with à chance of knockdown/stagger as we got back up. The damage might not be there but it could help us getting away from constant knockdown crowds.

i think the fact they are calling it U13 doesnt really need to mean that it is going to be far away. they have skipped and rounded up updates before and did state they wanted to release it by the end of march. 

i think its just being dubbed U13 because of the scale of what they are releasing. one of the biggest changes made to the game to date.

i think the fact they are calling it U13 doesnt really need to mean that it is going to be far away. they have skipped and rounded up updates before and did state they wanted to release it by the end of march. 

i think its just being dubbed U13 because of the scale of what they are releasing. one of the biggest changes made to the game to date.

Moreover, the open beta's anniversary happened this week : a good opportunity to release it maybe? :)

Anyway, I guess that the best thing would be to wait till the least buggy version comes out. But people aren't very patient these days...

Quick history of update naming conventions:

u7(escape from CB): went to u7.11. Lasted 7 weeks, used very large increments.

u8(first OB update): went to u8.3. Lasted 6 weeks, used very tiny increments.

u9(modern production schedule): went to u9.8.5. Lasted 8 weeks, used the normalized #.x.# where X was incremented weekly for all but 1 week.

u10(mps): went to u10.8. Lasted 9 weeks, used the weekly increment for all but 1 week--difference came from the move from friday to wednesday.

u11(mps): went to u11.8.3. Lasted 8 weeks, used the weekly increment.

u12(current): up to 12.5.3 so far. Lasted 6 weeks so far. used the weekly increments except for 1 week.

So, if melee 8.0 is u13, and we can expect it to take an average of 7-8 weeks to increment a full digit, melee 8.0 is somewhere between now and Easter, most likely next month, but definitely before Easter....

That is, if they don't change it again.(Which they might, but they seem to be getting the idea narrowed down now)

Oh boy.. here we go.

Excalibur prime is gone forever. I was just PM'ing Rebecca about all of the wonderful PS4 feedback on the topic. They have plans to atleast remove the founders items from our  codexes (not sure if it is the same for non pc founders) Other than that, they have something planned. 

There are numerous other threads discussing both topics, do we need another?

Edited by (PS4)MyTagForHalo