Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Melee 2.0 Anticipation Megathread

gaurdianaq

Wait....you hate katanas?....You will never be able to recover from how lame you are right now.

Bleh, if it bad, it is bad. If Nikana will be bad, i will use it only for mastery.

Also, looks like reskinned Dakra Prime to me. Or Skana.

As you all know melee 2.0 is amazing. But, I think everyone has had those moments when you ask yourself what ninjas are doing with guns. Guns have ruined gameplay. We should have only had melee 2.0 from the start.

I fail to see the point of melee even when melee 2.0 coming out. I know that I will use melee but I still don't see the point except for the cool factor.

Let's take for example the Penta (favorite weapon). Why would you charge into a horde of enemies with melee when you could just shoot one grenade at them and kill them all? Or how about the worst offenders? SNIPER RIFLES! You can just kill everything in one hit and not take a bit of damage.

I don't see the point of ninjas with guns...grenade launchers...sniper rifles(I guess assassin type ninjas is ok...idk)...rocket launchers...and so many more. If we had to have guns we should have only had pistols. There are decent pistols in this game and some are good enough to be a primary.

But the point of this thread is to ask the question we all know is coming sooner or later. WHY USE MELEE? Sure it's fun but at some point what's fun is the exact opposite of what's going to keep you alive.

We all saw the livestream. Poor Excalibur rushes into the heavies and just dies(doesn't die because of dev super powers). He could've easily one shotted them with a sniper rifle or bow or penta or ogris...so many guns...

And what about melee immune bosses? I don't see what you can do about that...

Oh and those pesky Corpus ospreys and cameras that can't be killed with melee. Sometimes I can kill an osprey with melee because they are either going up stairs, gonna kamikaze me, or just fly low.

I know I will use melee even if guns could be better but what about everyone else?

its a game, and in games the player chooses what he or she wants, if that is shooting enemies or going into head to head combat well that is their choice. Melee 2.0 adds another dimension of game play and choice.

I didn't say it didn't...but the problem isn't whether or not melee is fun, it's if it's even effective.

i'll be using melee, but i already do here in melee 1.0.

as for what would make it worth it besides player preference, working blocking mechanics. hopefully, now that blocking seems to work, it'll be able to mitigate damage by larger margins if properly modded and be able to fulfill a utility role in upping general survivability if you bother to keep your melee weapon out.

i'll be using melee, but i already do here in melee 1.0.

as for what would make it worth it besides player preference, working blocking mechanics. hopefully, now that blocking seems to work, it'll be able to mitigate damage by larger margins if properly modded and be able to fulfill a utility role in upping general survivability if you bother to keep your melee weapon out.

Guess it does pretty much come down to blocking.

The point of Melee 2.0 is not to have melee be good enough to replace guns but to have them viable as a second option. It's intended as another way to kill things your way. If you want to shoot them, fine, if you want to use melee, fine. The point is so that you can use other methods with out it being so weak that you might as well not try.

The point of Melee 2.0 is not to have melee be good enough to replace guns but to have them viable as a second option. It's intended as another way to kill things your way. If you want to shoot them, fine, if you want to use melee, fine. The point is so that you can use other methods with out it being so weak that you might as well not try.

I always thought that a sword going through your body should be more effective than a small bullet...

You know how ive been doing since U10 and 11?

*walks in room with an Orthos Prime*

*Radial Disarm*

*processed to discect the room occupants*

Ive also wormholed to get into melee, and i have:

Riplined

Speed (which is awesome because then i turn into a whirlling dervish)

Charged

Slashdashed

Teleport

Switch Teleport

Copter'd

Pulled enemies towards me

Bounced into the fray

Linked and hugged toxic ancients

and waiting inside of a Globe

So yeah... there are absolutely no methods that i can use to get into close quarters. And no reason to even use melee. I mean, all the AI does is STOP SHOOTING YOU TO RIFLE BUTT YOU when you try to melee them.

I dont suppose that shade sentinal would help either, with all the cloaking. And there is Djinn, but fatal attaction just makes you a bullet magnet

You know how ive been doing since U10 and 11?

*walks in room with an Orthos Prime*

*Radial Disarm*

*processed to discect the room occupants*

Ive also wormholed to get into melee, and i have:

Riplined

Speed (which is awesome because then i turn into a whirlling dervish)

Charged

Slashdashed

Teleport

Switch Teleport

Copter'd

Pulled enemies towards me

Bounced into the fray

Linked and hugged toxic ancients

and waiting inside of a Globe

So yeah... there are absolutely no methods that i can use to get into close quarters. And no reason to even use melee. I mean, all the AI does is STOP SHOOTING YOU TO RIFLE BUTT YOU when you try to melee them.

I dont suppose that shade sentinal would help either, with all the cloaking. And there is Djinn, but fatal attaction just makes you a bullet magnet

Um...are you trying to be sarcastic...or serious...because if you are being sarcastic you are so good at it that you have really confused me...

We are not Ninjas, we are Warriors, Samari, marines, Mercenaries, and ofcourse we are Ninjas. We are whatever the hell we want to be, Equipe Ogris, or penta and BOOM your a Demiman, Equipe the ignis or the Synthesis, BOOM your a... Element thrower..... Equipe a sniper, BOOM your a sniper! 

You can be whatever you want to be... FOR YOU ARE THE TENNO!

The game was never intended to have melee until Mynki drew a sword in one of his images of Excalibur (you can see that image to the right of your screen I believe). It was always intended as a third person shooter, that's why we have guns.

Um...are you trying to be sarcastic...or serious...because if you are being sarcastic you are so good at it that you have really confused me...

Rofl, another point for Loki.

I was being sarcastic. Even with my 4 forma Straith (And Braton Prime, Vectis, Dread, Soma, Akmagnus....etc.) I've found methods with the current system to get into close quarters to make good use of the range of my Orthos. There are TONS of methods in game to use to close that gap. And with current melee attacks, groundslams still are really useful when you focus on heavy units (yeah, knockdown the thing that knocked you down). I find Napalmers and Eviscerators are a LOT less scary when they are laying down and trying to get up.

Not to mention, we already have the new stamina changes so Parrying is actually useful when running around. Its nice to charge a Heavy gunner and take 0 damage while not being a rhino (or a trinity)

Edited by ensignvidiot

Rofl, another point for Loki.

I was being sarcastic. Even with my 4 forma Straith (And Braton Prime, Vectis, Dread, Soma, Akmagnus....etc.) I've found methods with the current system to get into close quarters to make good use of the range of my Orthos. There are TONS in game to use to close that gap. And with current melee attacks, groundslams still are really useful when you focus on heavy units (yeah, knockdown the thing that knocked you down). I find Napalmers and Eviscerators are a LOT less scary when they are laying down and trying to get up.

Not to mention, we already have the new stamina changes so Parrying is actually useful when running around. Its nice to charge a Heavy gunner and take 0 damage while not being a rhino (or a trinity)

Ok...good to know...