Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Power Creep. Despair Vs Castanas

ItPutsTheLotion

Ok with the release of the castanas today, it seems that it completely outclasses the despair.

Not that I'm jealous or what. I could easily build it once my clan researches it.

However, it makes me uncomfortable to see the trend that the weapons of today are getting more and more powerful.

I can understand this from DEs point of view. However, a balance could he reached in the sense, buff older weapons too.

We all saw that happening to the Latron prime. Great work DE.

So now I ask that you look into the stalker weapons, other than dread cuz it's up to date to the current weapons,

More specifically, the hate and despair.

The despair does about 55 damage and fires at 3.3

If I recall correctly, the castanas do 100 damage and fire much faster.

Now the despair is supposedly harder to get because it's a hidden boss weapon

Can we see a slight buff to it?

I beilive the Castanas also need to be manually detonated, i might be wrong i think i saw that though and frankly that makes them a wholely differnt weapon than despair, more of a secondary form Penta than an actual Kuni, to be judged on thier own terms even if they share animations.

comparing unmodded the castanas should have about 50% more raw DPS than the despair, that's without looking at the damage type and enemy resistances (which pend in favor of the castanas).

Other things we don't know is the arc and the travel speed of the projectile, we don't know the range of the electric explosion, we don't know what happens if a castanas hits an enemy directly and we don't know if the explosion can be triggered before the castanas are planted into the ground. So what I'm saying is there's a lot of factors that may or may not balance out the raw dps.

Edited by CubedOobleck

While power creep may not apply amazingly well with these 2 weapons it's still an issue. Weapons that were once god tier have been in need of a buff. When something like that happens several times you need to rethink things. Take a note from maplestory, they are far too deep into powercreep now. When the game came out you'd be lucky to hit over 500 damage at level 30 now you'd be unlucky if you hit less than 5k at level 30. They have 35 classes that are constantly being buffed as they refuse to nerf anything and it just leads to more work than having everything be balanced within a certain damage frame. 

Enemies have to be buffed, countless weapons have to be buffed, all because they don't want to nerf a few OP weapons and balance things out between that damage range. I fear warframe is going the same way. Remember when the supra was a god but was hard to get? well the soma is leagues better, can be gotten at a lower level, and requires less to make. The penta is easier to obtain than the ogris and is much better than it. Instead of nerfing those guns to be more equal and be in a place where it deserves to be they have just been releasing stronger and stronger guns and been buffing every weapon in the game since pretty much every gun was made obsolete because the game was starting to be designed around the really high tier weaponry making most weapons useless. it's not too late DE, you can save a lot of work by nerfing the few OP weapons instead of buffing every single other weapon that was once considered good or OK.

Edited by theharddrinkingapplejack

I've heard several times that weapons with innate elemental damage aren't effected by other elemental mods unless you create a new one entirely.

So, uh...Whoops.

No. My lecta has only one elemental mod and it deals radiation now.

Even if that were the case, you only need two mods to change it anyway.

Despair and Hate do need an update and buff though.

Hate has being under the Galatine's shadow for waaay too long.

despair is completely fine. i dont have the hate so i wouldnt know, but i do know that the galantine is the best melee at the moment, above anything else.

Single element weapons have poorer versatility since they can only get a maximum of 2 damage types whereas physical and combo element weapons can get 3. Having said that, it's not necessarily new weapons that are stronger; it's random how powerful a weapon ends up. Plus stop complaining about the Galatine; yes it's way too good but Melee 2.0 is coming, and remember how OP the Soma was on release, and that it was only unbalanced because Damage 2.0 was coming and when it came out oh never mind.

The orthos prime is more or less on equal grounds

? Orthos prime is a great weapon, but it does half the base charge/slide/jump damage of the Galatine. It has half the charge time, but when you consider that Galatine has a 25% base crit chance, it is really all Galatine, all day. 

despair is completely fine. i dont have the hate so i wouldnt know, but i do know that the galantine is the best melee at the moment, above anything else.

Despair needs only a magazine size boost. 

Then it's burst and sustained DPS will be a good bit higher without wriggling with other complexities.

Galatine has greater charge damage and a great charged crit rate to boot.

All other melee weapons pale in comparison.

But this doesn't make the Galatine op as melee in general is still piss weak.

Edited by fatpig84

? Orthos prime is a great weapon, but it does half the base charge/slide/jump damage of the Galatine. It has half the charge time, but when you consider that Galatine has a 25% base crit chance, it is really all Galatine, all day. 

I'd rather have DPS. And the numbers prove that the Galatine is sh*t against anything with moderate intelligence. Just ask all the Galatine users I've put on the floor with my Orthos P.

Granted; Against non players and dumb AI's it's decent. But the charge time? Uh-uh, that's a no-go compared to the Orthos P. Consider that the Orthos P. can put out more hits in the time it takes to charge the Galatine. Then factor in stagger while in Melee.

Yeah. I haven't used my Galatine in ages. I ranked it to 12 and decided it wasn't for me. Ranked it to 30 and put it on a shelf for Dakra, Orthos, and Fang primes.

I'd rather have DPS. And the numbers prove that the Galatine is sh*t against anything with moderate intelligence. Just ask all the Galatine users I've put on the floor with my Orthos P.

Granted; Against non players and dumb AI's it's decent. But the charge time? Uh-uh, that's a no-go compared to the Orthos P. Consider that the Orthos P. can put out more hits in the time it takes to charge the Galatine. Then factor in stagger while in Melee.

Yeah. I haven't used my Galatine in ages. I ranked it to 12 and decided it wasn't for me. Ranked it to 30 and put it on a shelf for Dakra, Orthos, and Fang primes.

Are you talking about using the Galatine in PVP? This game isn't in any way, shape or form balanced around PVP. That is a completely pointless comparison. Hell. For that I'll take Zorens as the best melee in the game because it gives me mobility over any other weapon which is a far greater advantage in PVP than DPS is. It's also totally irrelevant to the vast majority of the game.