Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Isn't There A Heavy Melee That Is Good For Puncture?

DMan

it should vary depending on the way you´re attacking the mob, if your going to do slash damage swing horizontally..if your going to puncture the enemy, thrust... thats just for melee weps with an edge..but I think i´m talking about melee 2.0?...hope it´s something like that. Cheers

That's actually a good point. I might hold off till Melee 2.0 drops (next week, ideally) before making a suggestion/feedback thread with more detailed examples. Stances, how one attacks, would be a big factor. Of the top of my head, and in an animation context? It'd make sense as:

Swings/Slashing Motions: Slash Damage Emphasis

Hammering/Slamming Motions: Impact Damage Emphasis

Thrusting/Penetrating Motions: Puncture Damage Emphasis

That'd allow you to have 'mutant' weapons pretty easily; blunt-edged swords that do thrust/penetrating motions with mild slash added, or maces that do more hammering/slamming motions for impact with mild puncture, and have it 'make sense' why a sword/mace would do that type of damage emphasis due to how its handled rather than what type of weapon it is. IE; Why Magistar has an impact rather than puncture emphasis despite being a flanged mace, why the Bo staff does impact rather than puncture, etc.

At the end of the day DE might just want puncture damage to be in the realm of guns, however, in terms of major damage # emphasis.

Edited by KoshLovesYou

The Scythes could have various amounts of Puncture imo.

Ether Reaper - 50/50 Slash and Puncture with next to none of Impact (how all Ether weapons should be imo)

Hate and Reaper Prime - One of them could have more Slash and medium Puncture, while the other is the opposite.

Also:

Magistar - Could be Impact+Puncture, considering Fragor already has high Impact

And even though they are not heavy weapons:

Kama / Dual Kama - Should be high in Puncture (and medium in Slash).

More thoroughly - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/142559-more-impact-puncture-slash-distribution-between-weapons/

This issue certainly needs a look at.

Actually I'd like to see something like a horseman's pick added, a heavy hammer with a curved thorn on its head. Though mostly used by cavalry, the English used it as an infantry weapon. It was specifically designed to puncture heavy armor.

Edited by Rule34

maybe they should make a huge bad &#! morning star weapon that got 70/30 puncture/impact damage. :)

You mean the Magistar? >_>

I'll repeat myself here:

The Scythes could have various amounts of Puncture imo.

Ether Reaper - 50/50 Slash and Puncture with next to none of Impact (how all Ether weapons should be imo)

Hate and Reaper Prime - One of them could have more Slash and medium Puncture, while the other is the opposite.

Also:

Magistar - Could be Impact+Puncture, considering Fragor already has high Impact

And even though they are not heavy weapons:

Kama / Dual Kama - Should be high in Puncture (and medium in Slash).

More thoroughly - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/142559-more-impact-puncture-slash-distribution-between-weapons/

This issue certainly needs a look at.

Magistar should be 50 / 50 Impact and SLASH, not Puncture. Weapons with sharp flanges like those are made for cracking armor and bone alike and slicing / cutting exposed flesh, not punching holes in things.

Melee weapons with spiked heads and designed to be swung on the other hand would be good at puncture and impact damage: Morning Stars were designed to send opponents flying with dented / crushed and lethally holed armour.

Edit: A good example of a pure impact weapon would be a mace or a staff.

A Bec de corbin...interesting. The "beak" was largely used to punch through and tear at armour, aided by the counter balancing "hammer" facing opposite the beak. Kind of a long weapon really...reminiscent of the Lucerne Hammer which was a capable puncturing and smashing weapon itself but a bit shorter.

Edited by MirageKnight

Magistar should be 50 / 50 Impact and SLASH, not Puncture. Weapons with sharp flanges like those are made for cracking armor and bone alike and slicing / cutting exposed flesh, not punching holes in things.

Actually that's exactly what those kind of weapons were for:

Swords are no good against knights in plate armour, unless you get lucky to penetrate a joint in the armour.

Weapons like maces/hammers were thus favoured in order to bypass the need of penetrating the armour by simply smashing the platemail to crush/break the bones of the knight inside.

Weapons like morningstars went one step further and added sharp spikes to the heavy head of the mace in order to not only break the bones, but also focus all that kinetic energy into one sharp point in order to puncture the platemail as well.

Imagine adding a nail to the head of a hammer and smashing it against the side of a metal barrel/drum. Its gonna make one neat little hole.

Edited by Brimir

Actually I'd like to see something like a horseman's pick added, a heavy hammer with a curved thorn on its head. Though mostly used by cavalry, the English used it as an infantry weapon. It was specifically designed to puncture heavy armor.

I'd like a Polehammer, doing 40/60 Impact/Puncture.

Weapon_select_polehammer.png