Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Shasva Concept] Space-Time Warframe: Asteron

69amz

Me and a mate of mine (D00ms0ldier) have developed and refined the space-time warframe concept I came up with a while ago. Fellow Tenno, I would appreciate your feedback. And to DE, I would hope that you consider this one - it would be a great asset in game-play.

Asteron is a manipulator of the fabric of space and time. His powers can benefit his allies and cripple his enemies. 

EDIT:
* Refined some lines about Asteron's powers affecting enemy hitscan attacks.

Name: Asteron
Theme: Space-Time

Base Stats
* Health: 100 (225)
* Power: 100 (300)
* Shields: 100 (225)
* Armour: 70
* Sprint: 1.2
* Polarities: 4x =, 2x V
* Aura Polarity: -

Abilities
#1 - Rift Blade (Cost 25)
"Asteron hurls a blade-like projectile that passes through any solid matter, damaging enemies in its path."

- The projectile has infinite Punch Through, and travels 50m (the maximum range for abilities).
- Objects it will go through include but are not limited to: terrain, allied players, enemies, shields (Lancers, Volt's shield power).
- Loses speed as it travels through objects, but returns to normal speed when it hits open terrain again.
- Mod enhancement; Strength (damage), Efficiency (cost reduction)

#2 - Dilation (Cost 50)
"Asteron pushes his hands forward, slowing time in an area in front of him. Any enemies and projectile attacks are slowed down for a limited time."

- The faster something moves, the slower it will become during the effect.
- Hitscan attacks, despite not being a visible projectile, are still affected. Rather than being slowed, they will have their accuracy greatly reduced.
- Enemy death animations will execute slower if an enemy is slain during the effect.
- Mod enhancement; Strength (effect of slow-time) Duration (increased slow-time), Efficiency (cost reduction)

#3 - Void Portal (Cost 75)
"Asteron opens a portal in front of himself, which sucks in nearby enemies and projectiles, soon after spitting them back out with great force.

- The portal will remain in effect until it absorbs enough objects to meet its capacity. It will then blast them back out in a cone-like area in front of itself, before dissipating. Only one portal can be generated per cast.
- Attacks come out the same way they came in; eg. hitscan will be hitscan.
- Mod enhancement; Strength (absorption capacity, damage of blast-back), Range (size of portal, absorption radius), Efficiency (cost reduction)

#4 - Stasis Field (Cost 100)
"Asteron stops time, causing all enemies to cease acting for a limited time."

- Projectiles will freeze in place, regardless of their original speed.
- Hitscan attacks cease to exist inside the field's range. Therefore when enemies fire such an attack from the outside, it will register as hitting the field, and then do nothing else.
- Allied players are, of course, unaffected. This also includes Shadows of the Dead clones made by Nekros and Sentinels.
- Enemies that are slain while frozen do not "die" until the effect has expired.
- Mod enhancement; Range (size of field), Duration (field up-time), Efficiency (cost reduction)

Edited by ShasVa

Cool ideas here.

Some of this reminds me of the mind-bending gameplay of Braid

Chronolock and Dilation Field feel very similar though, with a range-boost mod, the field alone would do the same as the directional 'lock?

+1 ... Coincidental I had the same idea this morning and wrote a friend of mine about it :D

Skills 1, 3 and 4 are okay as they are, but the second one is superseded by the 4th one, so that needs to be sorted out, I suppose.

I thought that skill 3 should become to skill 2...

... and respectively skill 4 should become to skill 3, because the Time Dilation field is similar to Frost's snow globe but with the difference it only slows down the enemies and projectiles instead of fully absorbing the damage. I would recommend it even to be a mobile field that sticks to your warframe as it is not as strong as Snow Globe when in comes to defending static objectives like during Defense/Mobile Defense as it does only delay the inevitable instead of preventing. I guess it could make Melee become pretty strong on this Warframe because of how you'd be able to dodge all incoming projectiles and still be able to get close up enemies.

So we would be open again for a much more devasting Ultimate skill.. Something to compete with Nova... And make "Asteron" like a male counterpart to her (like Oberon is to Trinity for example).

The 4th skill should probably be based on both space and/or time effects... Like accelerating all enemies to a speed where they are crushed/ripped apart because of the Inertia or sucking them up into something like a black hole + all projectiles flying around, even phasing the enemies through walls and the floor to do that or probably make them grow old rapidly so they'd die because of aging. The aging thing would be a vast amount of work to show off an effect on the enemies though.

Edited by MeduSalem

I like this, except for void portal.

If the bullets are spat back out in their original paths, then they will most likely MISS, since the enemies move around a fair bit.

Also I could imagine this being a bit glitchy when performed while sliding - do the bullets still eject out of the portal in its final position?

And even if it aims to where it was originally fired from... that's not going along its original pathway and thus it'll still hit obstacles that may obstruct.

Also, #2 and #4 seem the same in effect, just differing by AoE.

And much like rhino stomp.

Perhaps make it like that other guy said about temporal relativity.

+1 ... Coincidental I had the same idea this morning and wrote a friend of mine about it :D

Skills 1, 3 and 4 are okay as they are, but the second one is superseded by the 4th one, so that needs to be sorted out, I suppose.

I thought that skill 3 should become to skill 2 and skill 4 should become to skill 3, because the Time Dilation field is similar to Frost's snow globe but with the difference it only slows down the enemies and projectiles instead of fully absorbing the damage.

So we would be open again for a much more devasting Ultimate skill.. Something to compete with Nova... And make "Asteron" like a male counterpart to her (like Oberon is to Trinity for example).

The 4th skill should probably be based on both space and/or time effects... Like accelerating all enemies to a speed where they are crushed/ripped apart because of the Inertia or sucking them up into something like a black hole, even phasing the enemies through walls and the floor to do that or probably make them grow old rapidly so they'd die because of aging. The later would be a vast amount of work to show off an effect on the enemies.

Alternately, the 4th skill should screw with temporal paradoxes, since those are basically the most devastating thing any being capable of altering time can inflict.

How about an attack that calls forth iterations of Asteron from alternate timelines or prior/later points in time, to replicate your attacks against all enemies within range for a brief period? And if you die while the effect is active, all the damage you dealt enemies is undone? (Since that's about the least cerebral thing you can do with altering cause/effect.)

If the bullets are spat back out in their original paths, then they will most likely MISS, since the enemies move around a fair bit.

Also I could imagine this being a bit glitchy when performed while sliding - do the bullets still eject out of the portal in its final position?

And even if it aims to where it was originally fired from... that's not going along its original pathway and thus it'll still hit obstacles that may obstruct.

I think that's where all the slow/stop effects come in: Timing it properly.

Edited by Archwizard

It would be somewhat tricky but I guess it would work for enemies cowering in cover, because they are not moving. I wouldn't recommend trying to pull off a hip-shot with it xD

Alternately, the 4th skill should screw with temporal paradoxes, since those are basically the most devastating thing any being capable of altering time can inflict.

How about an attack that calls forth iterations of Asteron from alternate timelines or prior/later points in time, to replicate your attacks against all enemies within range for a brief period? (Since that's about the least cerebral thing you can do with altering cause/effect.)

That would be a friggin nightmare off paradoxes. Somebody equip the Soma and then cast like 5 copies of yourself. It would basically depend/scale on what weapon you've equipped to be effective and that's what no other Warframe does at this point with the exception of Zephyr's Vortex adapting to the Elemental damage applied to it. But technically manipulating space-timeflow isn't the same as time travel and timeline alteration. :P

Edited by MeduSalem

That would be a friggin nightmare off paradoxes. Somebody equip the Soma and then cast like 5 copies of yourself. It would basically depend/scale on what weapon you've equipped to be effective and that's what no other Warframe does at this point with the exception of Zephyr's Vortex adapting to the Elemental damage applied to it (which is kind of bullsh*t if you ask me). 

a much more devasting Ultimate skill.. Something to compete with Nova... And make "Asteron" like a male counterpart to her (like Oberon is to Trinity for example).

I fail to see what's wrong with that.

It could be balanced too, so long as it has a limited number of targets during any given attack period. Functionally it could be more like "focus this target, all damage you deal to this target is dealt to X enemies within range; target dies, focus jumps to another; repeat until the duration ends".

Also, pretty sure AMD can scale with weapons better than Tornado.

Edited by Archwizard

I fail to see what's wrong with that.

It could be balanced too, so long as it has a limited number of targets during any given attack period. Functionally it could be more like "focus this target, all damage you deal to this target is dealt to X enemies within range; target dies, focus jumps to another; repeat until the duration ends".

Also, pretty sure AMD can scale with weapons better than Tornado.

You are right, it could be balanced in terms of how many paradox-copies of yourself you are able to summon and how they focus targets. See no problems there...

But the main problem remains on how to deal with the fact that all of your copies would be dependend on the weapon you're carying. So if you take for example certain low DPS, Unranked or weapons that need near to perfect aim because of projectile travel time like Bows, Supra, Boltor etc you are far past screwed because you can be sure that your copies either miss their target or that you'd have to stick to a high DPS hitscan weapon to make the skill reliable.

I would support if there would be a viable solution to that. :S

Edited by MeduSalem

You are right, it could be balanced in terms of how many paradox-copies of yourself you are able to summon and how they focus targets. See no problems there...

But the main problem remains on how to deal with the fact that all of your copies would be dependend on the weapon you're carying. So if you take for example certain low DPS, Unranked or weapons that need near to perfect aim because of projectile travel time like Bows, Supra, Boltor etc you are far past screwed because you can be sure that your copies either miss their target or that you'd have to stick to a high DPS weapon to make the skill reliable.

I would support if there would be a viable solution to that. :S

The simple solution is to treat it like a jumping debuff, rather than a self-buff. Your copies only fire if you hit your target, with guaranteed hit.

The solution already provided is a mass time stop/slow.

The simple solution is to treat it like a jumping debuff, rather than a self-buff. Your copies only fire if you hit your target, with guaranteed hit.

The solution already provided is a mass time stop/slow.

Okay even if they hit for sure when you are hitting, the skill would still be depending on the weapon you are carrying, because they are going to shoot with whatever weapon you have equipped. So eventually the damage output would rely on the weapon you have equipped. Or would you propose them to have a maximum damage output they will always be capped at independent from the weapon you actually have equipped?

Because that would be fair enough.

Having your copies dealing all the same weapon damage as yourself is just too unpredictable to be balanced. It would be unfair while you'd use low ranked weapons as your copies won't do damage either and probably even more powerful than most Warframes if you've got yourself a 6-time forma'd Ogris overnuking the entire place.

Edited by MeduSalem

Okay even if they hit for sure when you are hitting, the skill would still be depending on the weapon you are carying, because they are going to shoot with whatever weapon you have equipped. So eventually the damage output would rely on the weapon you have equipped. Or would you propose them to have a maximum damage output they will always be capped at independend from the weapon you actually have equipped?

Because that would be fair enough.

Having your copies dealing all the same weapon damage as yourself is just too unpredictable to be balanced. It would be unfair while you'd use low ranked weapons as your copies won't do damage either and probably even more powerful than most Warframes if you've got yourself a 6-time forma'd Ogris overnuking the entire place.

This.

independent*

carrying*

Okay. I'l stop now.

What would be a good solution is to have the copies' weapon damage HALVED. It would be a good idea to give these copies their own weapon type that deals a considerable amount of damage. It should be average. Not too high, Not too low.

#4 obv

Inferior PS version, but still. Do we get a damage bonus if we throw Kunai during #2?

Anyway, this is probably one of the better Time Frame concepts I've seen floating around. Its strength is that most of its skills provide utility which, in the current game, is far more exciting and effective than a simple damage nuke because they open up possibilities for weapon-ability synergy.

independent*

carrying*

Okay. I'l stop now.

I'm sorry, but English is not my native language, so unavoidable I'll have some spelling errors here and there. Thanks though, if I see them I'll fix them. That's why most of my posts are edited. But I've to admit that I've never been the best at spelling in German either... xD

As to why I don't post in the German sections... Well... I don't even play any games in German anymore because of the dubbing being ridiculous in most cases and because of most developers simply not giving a damn about it. (Probably not the case with DE, but it has developed into a habit of mine nonetheless to prefer English over German)

Edited by MeduSalem

Loving it-- have wanted to see a matrix style bullet stop power for a while-- in addition i think whatever stops should fall to the ground afterwards... not continue to travel. :). "If you stop a bombard rocket" you can then shoot it while it is in time warp to create a mini mine! Etc etc.