Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Metal Auger And Seeker

Genoscythe

So,

I think Metal Auger and Seeker could use a reduction in mod cost, 15 mod points for some punch-through is a bit much in my opinion. Also, for rifles, there is Shred already, which also increases firerate and makes Metal Auger quite useless.

I suggest reducing their mod cost to a maximum of 11.

One day I actually want to try putting Shred and Metal Auger on my Lanka, just for the absurdity of having eight meters of punch-through.

As for the mod point costs, Metal Auger could stand to be a bit cheaper, maybe.  It would make it an attractive enough option to compete with the usual suspects in weapon modding.

Edited by AhziDahaka

One day I actually want to try putting Shred and Metal Auger on my Lanka, just for the absurdity of having eight meters of punch-through.

As for the mod point costs, Metal Auger could stand to be a bit cheaper, maybe.  It would make it an attractive enough option to compete with the usual suspects in weapon modding.

Does the lanka projectile go off at an angle like other non-hitscan stuff though? Cause that would make hitting stuff through 8m of shizz a little hard :P 

Considering the number of nerf/buff threads, I was about to go off, but reading the topic, changes my overall attitude.

I'm...reluctant to want a reduction in cost for the punch-through mods. You're effectively paying for dealing the same damage to all targets lined up up to a certain combined thickness. Basically, if you have a weapon that deals 1 damage, and punch-through that can go through at least 10 targets, that's 10 damage in total being dealt to all targets, subbing out resistances and weaknesses. Now, scale that up to a Strun Wraith or Soma. Overall that tallies up to potentially 2k per bullet going through several targets. That adds up to maybe 5k+ damage to all targets affected, depending on where the enemy was hit and how thick their bodypart is. Even more-so with weapons like the Lanka and its already innate punch-through.

You could kill a group of Ancient infested in a matter of seconds instead of having to waste more ammo to kill each individually. That's ammo saved, and less of a potential need for an ammo mutation mod, and dealing mass damage over a line or an area. Weapon depending, of course.

Just tack on a forma to compensate for the cost. It's well worth the trouble to add, especially for high fire-rate weapons to deal chip-damage to targets over a range.

Less potential need for an ammo mutation mod? Erm... mutations are cheaper than punch-through by far.

Thing is, Metal Auger seems far overpriced by comparison to the much more useful Shred. Shouldn't they be more or less balanced? It is in the end an extremely expensive mod.

Considering the number of nerf/buff threads, I was about to go off, but reading the topic, changes my overall attitude.

I'm...reluctant to want a reduction in cost for the punch-through mods. You're effectively paying for dealing the same damage to all targets lined up up to a certain combined thickness. Basically, if you have a weapon that deals 1 damage, and punch-through that can go through at least 10 targets, that's 10 damage in total being dealt to all targets, subbing out resistances and weaknesses. Now, scale that up to a Strun Wraith or Soma. Overall that tallies up to potentially 2k per bullet going through several targets. That adds up to maybe 5k+ damage to all targets affected, depending on where the enemy was hit and how thick their bodypart is. Even more-so with weapons like the Lanka and its already innate punch-through.

You could kill a group of Ancient infested in a matter of seconds instead of having to waste more ammo to kill each individually. That's ammo saved, and less of a potential need for an ammo mutation mod, and dealing mass damage over a line or an area. Weapon depending, of course.

Just tack on a forma to compensate for the cost. It's well worth the trouble to add, especially for high fire-rate weapons to deal chip-damage to targets over a range.

Its not really worth the trouble imo, especially on rifles i have shred, 1 meter punch through already penetrates all enemies, so why invest more than 11 points if I can even get more firerate?

Also, on normal missions its not quite often that I get so many enemies lined up, potential does not equal practical use. In defense I have my ogris/penta/ignis/whatever that fill the niche of multi-hit weapons already without such mods(and more damage!). Shotguns have too much damage falloff to be useful at mid-high distances with punch-through, rather invest those mods in more damage. The only exceptions might be phage (which is generally not the best weapon) and Drakgoon (which looses its funny bounce by punch through)

Man, you guys think punch through is costly now, you should've seen it back when it cost 15 for 0.6 METERS of it. That was barely enough to go through one enemy, and it cost 15. Shotguns and pistols had it even worse, with only 0.35 meters for the same cost. I'm just glad they buffed the hell out of all of them. They desperately needed it.

Punchthrough is actually much, much more valuable than people think. 

First off, it can multiply your damage easily by hitting several targets. It can punchthrough through cover, which is an incredibly valuable tool when soloing. And paired up with enemy sense/radar, you can pretty much shoot anything in your minimap with the correct prediction. I believe punchthrough is more valuable than the damage corrupted mods and even elementals, so even if the extra mod cost, I'd rather take that, than just simple damage +. 

It does need some creativity to be able to use on its full glory but sure is worth it.