The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Exactly Is Ash's Role In The Game?

Ddublu

He's a stealth frame. (at least by description)

While his attacks are decent, he does not have any sort of stealth ability outside of smoke bomb.

Take that away, and he's just another damage dealer.

Shuriken allows for silenced "fire" that does not break stealth.

I call Ash "Newbie trap frame".

How ironic. That is what I call all those Loki starter players who I end up reviving all the time.

Ash is fast, has enough health and shields, and is in general awesome. He's only made "useless" by everything being AOE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE NAO! For regular play, he's a nice allrounder. And he looks cool :<

I do hear he's better than when I played him, I only bash him on his pre-U8 merits, lol. I do plan to give him another spin soon.

For people comparing him to Loki, I don't see the point, they are SO different. Sure, they are both stealth designed, but so is Banshee. I don't see people comparing Ash to her. Ash is still damage based mostly, while Loki is all about redirection/tricks. Ash is cool looking though.

How ironic. That is what I call all those Loki starter players who I end up reviving all the time.

I wouldn't start with Loki, but he's a blast once you get experienced. I find it pretty hard to die as Loki, unless I'm not paying attention. 

Edited by nefrai

Most likely wont and i will list 1 reason why.

1.) loki powers are far superior

Normally I'd agree, but in certain situations Smoke Screen is superior. A good example being infested gameplay. That radial stagger makes it easier to get out of the middle of a swarm.

Smoke Screen w/ Invisibility's duration would leave Invisibility as the inferior ability. So why should Loki be stuck with a redundant and inferior ability while Ash get's to walk around with the best of both worlds? I want that radial stagger, but I do not want to trade. 

I wouldn't start with Loki, but he's a blast once you get experienced. I find it pretty hard to die as Loki, unless I'm not paying attention.

You mean if you forget to press 2 every 40 seconds, yes?

Does it matter if Loki's invisibility lasts longer?

I can press 2 every 20 seconds. We both just end up with infinite invisibility.

Except that I can tackle ancient toxics because I have the health for it, and I won't get accidentally dropped by random fire in my direction because I have the shields for it. I can also withstand infested charger pile-up and napalm hazards.

And I also have damaging abilities at range incase my guns jam or melee bugs out or whatever.

Loki Clown Race What?

That being said, Ash has been left behind for too long. His abilities require revision and betterment.

And once he has it, he'll be a prime frame, without the title prime.

Loki shall stand by the side, realize his futility and weep.

Edited by OriKlein

Ash is my go-to frame for any content in the game. Now that his Teleport actually stuns when you use it, he's even more mobile if you know what you're doing. 

Shuriken is a fast projectile that will stun things when you hit them. Good for interrupting grinner, slowing down toxic ancients, taking down corpus drones & osprey, and killing shield osprey in the void.

Smoke Bomb is a stun as well as an invis. People argue that's it's not as good as Loki's invis, but that's the point. This is meant to be an offensive version of invis that you can drop anytime to bring things around you to a stand-still. Great to use after you teleport into a cluster of mobs. It's great for infested.

Teleport is a really good tool that took me a while to learn to use effectively. You can use this to teleport to team mates, Mobile Defense consoles, override terminals, as well as enemies. If you teleport to an enemy, you will appear behind it and stun it now. It didnt initially do this, so i'm glad this was added. Mainly used for mobility to teleport to teammates in distress or people ahead of you. You can pretty much be where you want to be.

Blade Storm is really good as well, but falls off a bit at higher levels since it stops one shotting stuff. Great tool to use if you need a breather from combat as you are invulnerable for the entire duration of it. I feel this power needs some work and i know DE has mentioned it's in the pipeline. I dont use this too much as I generally feel i can do more pinpoint damage on my own. However this is great for eliminating large groups of osprey and fodder enemies.

Couple all this with his decent shields, armor, health and fast run speed; Ash is extremely hard to kill in the right hands. When in groups, i'm usually behind enemy lines picking off high threat targets. So people that say he brings nothing to group play just dont know how to effectively use him yet. 

Edited by Shin_Ein

Except that I can tackle ancient toxics because I have the health for it, and I won't get accidentally dropped by random fire in my direction because I have the shields for it. I can also withstand infested charger pile-up and napalm hazards.

And I also have damaging abilities at range incase my guns jam or melee bugs out or whatever.

Loki Master Race.

That being said, Ash has been left behind for too long. His abilities require revision and betterment.

Most of your problems can be solved by not being stupid. I've also NEVER had my gun jam, does that actually happen in this game?

FTFY

Ash will stand by the side, realize that he still lacks utility and weep.

Loki Clown Race What?

I'll assume your trolling...why would you only use invisibility on Loki? His 1st and 4th are extremely useful. I admit I never thought I'd like Loki, I usually prefer something like Ember or Mag, but I finally gave Loki a chance and he's just plain fun. His disarm always makes me laugh (watch a napalm grineer become a giant baby), decoy is fantastic (works nicely in ODD as well), and invisibility is just one part that helps make him fun.

As I've said, I only played Ash back when his abilities were crappy. Originally his ninja star was laughable, not sure what it's like now, but it sounds much more useful (I hope), and his 4th was so buggy, you never knew if you were going to be stuck in a wall or under a floor, or wherever when it was over (which I also hear was fixed). So I do recognize I need to give him another try. My point though, is I don't think it's fair to compare Ash and Loki to each other, they are way different. My Loki never dies, not because I spam invisible, but because I just utilize all his abilities carefully. He is meant to be a harder frame to use and to take more thought. If I wanted an easy mode frame, I'd just grab Nova or Rhino. I actually use all the frames - I don't have a favorite, and I try to give them equal play. I will add Ash to that rotation as well.

I agree, Loki should not be played by noobs. Of course they will be dying left and right, it's like hopping on Dark Souls 2 for the first time and choose the level one character with no armor/weapons. You are gonna die.

He's Loki with more Health but less Stealth. That's basically it. Also he has some limited attack power. Whereas Loki is "technically" meant to be the frame that's supposed to avoid everyone, Ash is meant to be stealthy but also meant to get close to the enemies. It's a little complicated, but it can't be denied that Ash has a lot of HP.

Oh gawd that Noble pose - They fixed it at one point then someone with pull at DE insisted that it be brought back. His calves are kissing each other, ffs!

Honestly, the kak that some people think is cool...

Edited by psyanide

ASH is a good frame if you know how to use. I can teleport to a fallen teammate and then been invisible to heal him while the team keep killing. I don't use shuriken bc I got weapons with more dmg than that, so to me it is useless(to me). Blade Storm I think is better than Loki's Disarm, bc with Loki you have to Disarm but the enemies will be alive in melee mode and then you have to kill them, how about to use disarm on Inffested? lol. I rather kill everything once while my shield reloads. People without skills complain about ASH. That's it.

Ash isn't mean to be as stealthy as Loki ("O' Master of Deception/Crowd Control"), I don't get why people can't figure this out.

Ash is meant to pop in, pop out, kill quickly, and keep it moving. Using his stealth to his combat advantage, not hiding the for the entire mission. He's a killer, flat out.

If you mod Ash's smoke screen properly it can actually stun the enemy in a huge radius, opening up all sorts of possibilities for retaliaton. If you can do switch teleport, you can do Ash's teleport. Use your melee, or your shuriken, or teleport>smokescreen stun>kill fest>teleport out. He's best for Survival/Defense/High level Extermination missions honestly, as that gives him the greatest chance to put his AOE, and speed to use.

If you can't figure out how to be NINJA, with THE Ninja frame, perhaps you belong in LoL, guzzling Wizard juice.

Edited by Gurzil

Shuriken allows for silenced "fire" that does not break stealth.

I've used Shuriken in stealth, and enemies that were not attacked by the shuriken (note: targets were killed) had been alerted.

And no, they were not adjacent to the dead targets. The unharmed enemies were a fair distance away.

So unless Shuriken was tweaked with the most recent patch/fixes, that's isn't entirely true.

*I've heard some say they don't alert enemies who weren't targeted. Might be the distance Ash is when he makes a toss?*

Ash isn't mean to be as stealthy as Loki ("O' Master of Deception/Crowd Control"), I don't get why people can't figure this out.

Ash is meant to pop in, pop out, kill quickly, and keep it moving. Using his stealth to his combat advantage, not hiding the for the entire mission. He's a killer, flat out.

If you mod Ash's smoke screen properly it can actually stun the enemy in a huge radius, opening up all sorts of possibilities for retaliaton. If you can do switch teleport, you can do Ash's teleport. Use your melee, or your shuriken, or teleport>smokescreen stun>kill fest>teleport out. He's best for Survival/Defense/High level Extermination missions honestly, as that gives him the greatest chance to put his AOE, and speed to use.

If you can't figure out how to be NINJA, with THE Ninja frame, perhaps you belong in LoL, guzzling Wizard juice.

DAT

ASH is a good frame if you know how to use. I can teleport to a fallen teammate and then been invisible to heal him while the team keep killing. I don't use shuriken bc I got weapons with more dmg than that, so to me it is useless(to me). Blade Storm I think is better than Loki's Disarm, bc with Loki you have to Disarm but the enemies will be alive in melee mode and then you have to kill them, how about to use disarm on Inffested? lol. I rather kill everything once while my shield reloads. People without skills complain about ASH. That's it.

Have you played any higher level content? Once Blade Storm stops oneshotting enemies it decreases sharply in usefulness.

Yeah I play in higher level. If it don't kill in the first time, I use it again. When I'm using Blade Storm, the death marked enemies stop to shoot  and start to move arround  or to a cover untill they get killed or attacked. It's like the same conccept of disarm from Loki, but in a Aggressive version. But I guess that you know about that already, huh?

Yeah I play in higher level. If it don't kill in the first time, I use it again. When I'm using Blade Storm, the death marked enemies stop to shoot  and start to move arround  or to a cover untill they get killed or attacked. It's like the same conccept of disarm from Loki, but in a Aggressive version. But I guess that you know about that already, huh?

I can oneshot a crowd of enemies (numbering higher than 15) by simply disarming them, grouping them with Decoy on box, and shooting them with my penta/ogris. This works quite well (until I get to the point where that damage falls off).