Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fun's Over De, Remove Broken Lights Already.

Z3ROWOLFHD

Remove the ones that you can't avoid, and I'd happily keep them to watch all the careless rushers being zapped.

Careless rushers?  You mean in a "Space Ninja" game that is based on high mobility?  With mods, like oh say... RUSH! and other as well as equipment that encourage you to go fast?  A game that is not only based on speed but also mobility that has PARKOUR as part of the mobility system.  Yes I can see where going slow fits into the whole scheme of things.  

Just a horrible idea with poor implementation.  A mechanism to stop people from rushing?  So let's get this straight.  DE makes a game about "SPACE NINJAS" that wield incredible powers and weaponry.  The game is based on cover and mobility, parkour, no less and they want us to go SLOW?  Yeah OK that makes all the sense in the world.  I can see the new mods now...  "Wall walk", "Belly Crawl", "Rubber Boots", "Slow Motion" all in the name of avoiding those pesky lights.

"Lighting Rod"

Remove the ones that you can't avoid, and I'd happily keep them to watch all the careless rushers being zapped.

Fully agreed. I'd rebalance it though to increase the likelyhood of rushers getting in trouble by decreasing the amount of broken lights in a level while increasing their damage. If anything needs to be removed from the game its the rushing culture.

Yes, they are located above doorways. 

Let's all remember that, folks!

The point

Your head

'What's so hard about that?"

Can you share your secrets on how you see through walls and disable broken lights on the other side? Those are unavoidable traps. Unavoidable traps are never fun, or challenging. Challenging traps take skill to avoid, and are fun. These take no skill, are unavoidable, and have a history already of randomly killing people and are very much widely disliked.

Fully agreed. I'd rebalance it though to increase the likelyhood of rushers getting in trouble by decreasing the amount of broken lights in a level while increasing their damage. If anything needs to be removed from the game its the rushing culture.

the whole thing about ops, space ninjas, etc, is to GET IT DONE FAST. you don't hang around and wait for reinforcements to arrive, you don't stop and smell the flowers, name ONE military organization in the world who uses special ops that doesn't want them in and out fast. every program for training is centered around getting in, getting the job done, and getting out in the shortest possible time frame.

hanging around sipping tea just leads to causalities, chances for the enemy to be reinforced, ambushes set up etc. this game has enough logic holes already...and you and your kind want to add even more? leave it to the pros of logic flaws, DE does fine on their own without help. 

Edited by DeadX65

The point

Your head

'What's so hard about that?"

Can you share your secrets on how you see through walls and disable broken lights on the other side? Those are unavoidable traps. Unavoidable traps are never fun, or challenging. Challenging traps take skill to avoid, and are fun. These take no skill, are unavoidable, and have a history already of randomly killing people and are very much widely disliked.

Relax with the insults.

You cant stand under it and aim up like you do with the corpus cameras that are in the same exact position?

Just ran a mission, and in an area with a high ceiling I noticed 7 out of 8 lights were broken...

This may just be proof that RNG is FUBAR.

Seriously, they are cheap, annoying, too powerful for new frames, but 7 out of 8?

Really? 1 or 2 per level, hell I would settle for 1 or 2 per room right now.

I recall you saying in a Livestream that you wanted every tileset to feel different, with a different feel to the gameplay.

Well you nailed it, the Galleons feel annoying and play annoying.

Relax with the insults.

You cant stand under it and aim up like you do with the corpus cameras that are in the same exact position?

Ever put that to the test? The broken lights shoot through walls. See screenshot 3, where I'm getting zapped by the bulb on the other side of the doorway.

Why am I mad? Because I can't level up new frames on Grineer maps anymore, because they consistently get one-shotted. Because these aren't challenging or fun traps, they're just annoying. And because supporting these as a means to cull rushing is treating a symptom but ignoring the disease, and that's the fundamental problem right there. Why do people rush in the first place?

Edited by xSapphire

All lightbulb jokes aside, this is definitely a controversial inclusion that has had (almost) unanimous 'removal' feedback. Relaying feedback on this mechanic, even after tweaks have occurred. 

You know, just spitballing here Rebecca, but if instead of a stage hazard, they were like the volatile barrels found all over the levels. If you see a 'faulty light', you shoot it, and you basically get a free volt shock on nearby enemies. Reduce the range to something more reasonable, and it'll move from hair-pulling annoyance to something to be careful of while shooting, while being something to kill things with.

All lightbulb jokes aside, this is definitely a controversial inclusion that has had (almost) unanimous 'removal' feedback. Relaying feedback on this mechanic, even after tweaks have occurred. 

I think we understand the reasoning behind the broken lights and the function they were supposed to serve, it was just implemented incorrectly.

They had a lot of issues on first implementation. It became a sore spot simply because of how unpolished they went in as. 

It's most important that feedback be taken from these lights even with their removal. 
People enjoy the idea of challenge and stage hazards for the most part. But these lights will never bring people the satisfaction they want from them.

I think we understand the reasoning behind the broken lights and the function they were supposed to serve, it was just implemented incorrectly.

I don't.

You don't stop rushing by introducing one of the most idiotic, unfair and badly implemented grief mechanics ever to of been coded into a game.

This broken lights nonsense is even worse than the cheap shots 8 bit platformers used to hit you with.

Edited by atpbx1

Relax with the insults.

If you don't want people to insult you, posting something intelligent that shows you've clearly put some actual thought into what you are writing would be a good way to make it so people won't be so inclined to insult you to begin with.

You can clearly see that the people in those screenshots you are responding to are getting hit while crossing through the doorway or even before even reaching the doorway, and that the lights are located such that you must cross through the door in order to shoot them.

If you aren't even going to take a good look at the post you're responding to, you're probably going to end up looking dumb, which leads to the obvious chain of events.

I don't.

You don't stop rushing by introducing one of the most idiotic, unfair and badly implemented grief mechanics ever to of been coded into a game.

This broken lights nonsense is even worse than the cheap shots 8 bit platformers used to hit you with.

Why would you claim to disagree with a post and then go on to completely agree with it?

Ever put that to the test? The broken lights shoot through walls. See screenshot 3, where I'm getting zapped by the bulb on the other side of the doorway.

Why am I mad? Because I can't level up new frames on Grineer maps anymore, because they consistently get one-shotted. Because these aren't challenging or fun traps, they're just annoying. And because supporting these as a means to cull rushing is treating a symptom but ignoring the disease, and that's the fundamental problem right there. Why do people rush in the first place?

So if it's shooting through walls how about we post in the bug section instead of calling them to be taken away?

Do you see the difference here? Just because something doesnt work perfectly it doesnt mean that it should be scrapped.

And the disease is that people are all min/maxers and everything needs to be done "efficiently." This is video game, this is not a job... relax, folks.

My idea to solve this solution is being able to click on certain parameters before missions so rushers can only party with rushers, low level folks can party with people that around their level, farmers can party with farmers, etc,etc. But this isnt likely to happen because it breaks up the population and that is usually seen as a problem. So this is the next best thing. Which is to make people to look up at doorways.

The concept was an OK one, but the implementation was poor to say the least.  It was great they ditched the big flash of white, that was just horrible.  But I still find myself needing to cast blessing if I come across 2 or more of these. 

If the intention was to stop rushing, it doesn't work, at all.  Ultimately, someone is getting zapped.  I wasn't big on rushing before, but I'm throwing my fellow tenno under the bus here.  If I know there are a few coming up, I'll fall back and let them get zapped, lol.  

If the intention was to simply make the game harder, I'm OK with this idea.  BUT, hazards like that, that you really can't avoid and just cause random death is not something I think should be in game.  I mean, dying in spawn from a broken light?  LOL.  The laser doorways, the Corpus shooting cameras, the Void thingys that turn and aim and shoot, rotating laser balls, etc, those are examples of good in-game ideas to make it harder, but make them avoidable and just an additional challenge.  Randomly getting zapped with that kind of damage, even after the nerf, is just griefing. 

I think DE can still salvage this idea.  I think there is enough feedback that the current implementation should be scrapped, but I trust DE has the ability to save the concept after reworking it. 

There is nothing controversial about it, you wanted to include something that had certain effect on gameplay and the folks that are used to dashing through the game dont like it. The same thing happened with the zapper balls back in the day, you didnt need to read minds to figure this was going to happen. If you werent able to slide through the corpus laser doors this would be the same response, because even with the easiest possible counter by shooting cameras, if people can get that taken away to be able to run through they are going to try get that taken away.

Why would you claim to disagree with a post and then go on to completely agree with it?

It's not the best worded response ever I'll grant you, however:

I don't understand what they were trying to achieve with it, it in no way effects rushing what so ever, it either out right kills a player or debuffs the player so much that enemy fire he would normally be able to withstand kills him out right. You can't avoid them, you can't see them most of the time, and it makes no odds whether you run or walk, or wait for your team mates, one of you gets zapped, and if you are unlucky you stumble across a cluster and you all get zapped, regardless of your speed..

It's included in survival missions, where nobody rushes, it's included in the exits of survival missions, where you sometimes are fighting to extract with low HP, and it kills you walking through the door, no matter what speed you doing.

It zaps you on capture missions, where you HAVE to rush to catch the target, making no sense what so ever if it's supposed to effect rushing.

I don't believe for one second it's intended to prevent rushing, it's a poorly thought out environmental hazard the point of which is lost on me.

Edited by atpbx1