Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Members Dropping Like Flies

LordMidnightX

not to metion dota 2 has 25 ppl working on it.

Warframe - 250+

LMAO?

Let us have a look at what Dota2 is? I could code sprites for DOTA 2. Hell anyone who spent enough time playing M.U.G.E.N. could. Warframe? Not so much... and where did you see that there are 250 people working on warframe. (coding, sound, UI, Environment, concept art/models, and animation teams is what I am referring to...250 people? I doubt it is that much)

I think DE took a risk with releasing a game that doesn't apply at all to the current mainstream of modern warfare, zombie surival and creative games like minecraft.

A risk that was worth it in the end but there were many other developers along with DE risking a lot by doing something new and unfortunately many have failed.

Big AAA publishers like EA rarely fund projects that do not predict a secure income. There are usually 1 to 50 million $ involved in these projects so they are gonna make sure they do not lose any of that.

DE is/was kinda an independent developer that released warframe at an early stage to ensure the project makes it. I don't think they would have made it this far if it was another generic game that is just going to contribute to the oversaturation of modern warfare fps games in the current market.

That being said, DE kinda hit the jackpot by doing something unique that many players happen to enjoy. They are not gonna make a 180° turn now and comply to the main stream pop culture of gaming. They may have found a niche in the market and they gonna gain as much experience in this genre as possible before deciding to start a new project.

So no, I don't think Warframe is going to be more like those games in the top10.

I'm not convinced because:

1)  The forums are full of people telling DE to radically change Warframe's game mechanics to the same old same old.

2)  DE often describes their new features as being like something in another game.

3)  DE has shown tendencies in the past to follow the industry rather than try something new.  Some DE developers in particular seem to strongly favor following old habits or the industry instead of making the most of something new.

Some DE developers are highly creative.  Some are far from creative.  There is a struggle there that I am not sure is productive.

My preference is for Warframe to break with industry standards.  The industry is rotten.

Edited by ThePresident777

A lot of posts. Basically. 

1) Lack of endgame content

2) Environments

3) RNG

4) No story, missions are the same

I'm probably not even 10% done with the game, so the endgame content is not a problem for me yet, but the other 3 are.

1) PvE focused game, was designed from the start to be that. Diablo II. The appeal of Diablo and clones of said game is in no small part due to rerolling characters. There's nothing to reroll in Warframe. Get the warframes, weapons, unlock the nodes. Done. So you'll have to continually and frequently keep the content rolling out, or figure out a way to keep people hooked doing the same thing over and over again while still making it seem like it's new.

2) Environments, are the same. The moment I got to Mars (I think?) and got to one of the relatively huge open areas with those jump platforms, that was a breath of fresh air.... then more of the same. I know it's difficult and requires many hours of work, but some new and varied environments would improve the game, a lot. 

3) RNG. RNG. RNG. A lot of people hate it if it's not done well. You really need to figure the right dosage of juice to give to the monkey (Alex Curelea - Diablo 3 not as addictive)

4) No story. Most missions are fetch quests (apart from defense and survival, my favorite)...  Assassinations themselves feature very little backstory, just some dialogue from the targets. Which compared to normal missions seem like the work of Shakespeare. Here's what you do. 

Mission briefings. Put text in that. Problem solved. You already have the codex, so that's the lore. The story goes in mission briefings. 

I still think it's a great game, and has a lot of potential. But it still needs a lot of work.

Long rant by noob player over.

Edited by TheDudeOfGaming

ZEPHYR: People got their fill of the game hon', like a movie. You watch it, then leave when it's the end-credits.

OBERON: Boredom. Such is another factor of life.

ZEPHYR: Taking a break too?

OBERON: Indeed, the toils your body takes during and after a fight takes it's toll.

ZEPHYR: Where's Val? Thought you guys made-up.

OBERON: Not at all I'm afraid to say, still the usual.

ZEPHYR: Guess I didn't try hard enough to help huh?

OBERON: I'm grateful nonetheless. You're looking unnaturally depressed for someone with an unequivocal personality.

ZEPHYR: It's a long story.

A lot of posts. Basically. 

1) Lack of endgame content

2) Environments

3) RNG

4) No story, missions are the same

I'm probably not even 10% done with the game, so the endgame content is not a problem for me yet, but the other 3 are.

1) PvE focused game, was designed from the start to be that. Diablo II. The appeal of Diablo and clones of said game is in no small part due to rerolling characters. There's nothing to reroll in Warframe. Get the warframes, weapons, unlock the nodes. Done. So you'll have to continually and frequently keep the content rolling out, or figure out a way to keep people hooked doing the same thing over and over again while still making it seem like it's new.

2) Environments, are the same. The moment I got to Mars (I think?) and got to one of the relatively huge open areas with those jump platforms, that was a breath of fresh air.... then more of the same. I know it's difficult and requires many hours of work, but some new and varied environments would improve the game, a lot. 

3) RNG. RNG. RNG. A lot of people hate it if it's not done well. You really need to figure the right dosage of juice to give to the monkey (Alex Curelea - Diablo 3 not as addictive)

4) No story. Most missions are fetch quests, apart from Assassinations...  And Assassinations themselves feature very little backstory, just some dialogue from the targets. Which compared to normal missions seem like the work of Shakespeare. Here's what you do. 

Mission briefings. Put text in that. Problem solved. You already have the codex, so that's the lore. The story goes in mission briefings. 

I still think it's a great game, and has a lot of potential. But it still needs a lot of work.

Long rant by noob player over.

Can you say the same thing about the top ten games on steam?  If so, then there must be another reason.

ZEPHYR: People got their fill of the game hon', like a movie. You watch it, then leave when it's the end-credits.

OBERON: Indeed, the toils your body takes during and after a fight takes it's toll.

OBERON: I'm grateful nonetheless. You're looking unnaturally depressed for someone with an unequivocal personality.

My confusion is only matched by my intrigue...

I picture most of the tenno as slightly crazy. This conversation works for me but zephyr would be saying both parts.

Let us have a look at what Dota2 is? I could code sprites for DOTA 2. Hell anyone who spent enough time playing M.U.G.E.N. could. Warframe? Not so much... and where did you see that there are 250 people working on warframe. (coding, sound, UI, Environment, concept art/models, and animation teams is what I am referring to...250 people? I doubt it is that much)

Models, not sprites.

Anyway carry on.

I'm not convinced because:

1)  The forums are full of people telling DE to radically change Warframe's game mechanics to the same old same old.

2)  DE often describes their new features as being like something in another game.

3)  DE has shown tendencies in the past to follow the industry rather than try something new.  Some DE developers in particular seem to strongly favor following old habits or the industry instead of making the most of something new.

Some DE developers are highly creative.  Some are far from creative.  There is a struggle there that I am not sure is productive.

My preference is for Warframe to break with industry standards.  The industry is rotten.

After reading some of these employer reviews, I have a feeling we have a classic case of creative developers clashing with stodgy old higher-ups. Scott sounds like a stubborn guy from what we've seen and heard, and I can only assume that one review is talking about him as their boss. Can't say for sure though.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

For me it's the lack of one's options to WORK for what he wants.

Examples:

1). I wanted the Hammer Shot mod.

- asked on clan chat

- went to wiki

- decided that I am not strong enough to do Nightmare missions

- worked and became strong enough (warframe + wep)

- did Nightmare missions for 2 weeks (not 23 hours/day, but as much as my RL allowed me to)

- never found one. 

- I gave up.

2).I wanted the boltor BP.

- I had no T3 MD keys. 

- I went to the wiki / forums / youtube / reddit in search of ways to find T3 Keys.

- Wrote down where and how to do it.

- Went and did it.

- 4 days later I have 0 (zero) T3 MD keys that I found.

- I gave up.

3). Heard about Stalker

- went to wiki / forums / etc

- started doing 1 assassination -> 1 normal mission

- he came for me 3 times

- he died 3 times

- he rewarded me with 4-5 Slash Dash mods

- I gave up.

Unlucky me? Buggy drop table? DE wanting me to buy plat? A combination of the previous?

This^. Its just to random to be fun. The grind required to convince lady luck to throw something your way is too frustrating for most people. Combined with little guidance on game mechanics/systems when you first start, there seems to be no point to the game. 

All 3 problem can be solved with farming plat by flipping mods on the market. 

Plat, the biggest problem of all. The game will probably never stop driving people towards buying plat to solve their (perhaps intended?) frustrations with getting the items they want. DE has to make money somehow on this f2p game and I guess skewed loot tables is one of those ways.

The main reason I have been taking huge breaks from warframe is the lack of stuff to do once you get stuff.

To clarify, the game at its core is not a bad concept. Free to play PvE game where you hack n slash (and rooty tooty point and shooty) enemies for resources, and use those resources to build the items you want. The thing that I hate about this game is that... thats ALL there is to do. Collecting is fun to a certain degree, and the game mechanics aren't the worst I've ever seen, but its still boring. 

Even with melee 2.0, it will still be just a new way to slay endless enemies for that shiny new gun. Then you get the gun, level it to 30, then what? I have all the frames I'm interested in, I have all the guns I want, I feel like I've beat the game. Melee 2.0 is like WoW or any other MMO adding a new core mechanic, but adding no new bosses/content to go with it. We can kill stuff differently, but whats the point?

TL;DR: The game is not bad. It really just needs more longevity other than praying to RNGesus that you get that one BP/part you want. Story (as mentioned before), more customization, a less RNG-ish challenging end-game that rewards those who put the time in, not those who get a lucky drop.... maybe all 3? 

The main reason I have been taking huge breaks from warframe is the lack of stuff to do once you get stuff.

To clarify, the game at its core is not a bad concept. Free to play PvE game where you hack n slash (and rooty tooty point and shooty) enemies for resources, and use those resources to build the items you want. The thing that I hate about this game is that... thats ALL there is to do. Collecting is fun to a certain degree, and the game mechanics aren't the worst I've ever seen, but its still boring. 

Even with melee 2.0, it will still be just a new way to slay endless enemies for that shiny new gun. Then you get the gun, level it to 30, then what? I have all the frames I'm interested in, I have all the guns I want, I feel like I've beat the game. Melee 2.0 is like WoW or any other MMO adding a new core mechanic, but adding no new bosses/content to go with it. We can kill stuff differently, but whats the point?

TL;DR: The game is not bad. It really just needs more longevity other than praying to RNGesus that you get that one BP/part you want. Story (as mentioned before), more customization, a less RNG-ish challenging end-game that rewards those who put the time in, not those who get a lucky drop.... maybe all 3? 

Cool we started the same day. What I can tell you is that Melee 2.0 is not the only thing coming... I believe that game play content we crave is getting gussied up something pretty for us as we speak... Give it a week or 3....see what happens...

, yet people couldn't stop playing it.

Just like Warframe. If people was less prone to buy $150 packs for this game then perhaps they would consider some changes.

As long as people keeps playing and swallowing and the cash keeps flowing you can bet they won't change anything.

Change for the best I mean.

I just sit on the forums all day and wait and see what pops up. Waiting for M2.0 is the only thing my life currently has to give me, and my patience can't last forever. I at times I come in and try to help new players or anything of that sort, and since I have nothing better to do I sometimes just do T3 Void missions just for the sake of doing them. I've been thinking of making a fan fic of warframe, trying to explain the origins of the Tenno and what they have come to be. But I have never came to doing it because... well I'm just a tad bit lazy. I'm just here because I like the potential of warframe and I also like the chance to imagine stuff.

Edited by MegaSnail

oh yes must be the grind...everyone will stay when they get all the gear, frames, and mods within a few weeks and can finally do all those missions...for...was it fun?

oh right...grind, its the foundation of this game...if you hate grind you are in the wrong game myfriend. Without grind...theres not much to do, and the overall focus and goal is to acquire loot and the perfect build...

This is the closest game to a TPS version of an ARPG (like diablo) I can think of, hellgate London excluded.

Its ok to realize you are in a type of game you dislike. You either have to love the gamplay so much you don't care, love loot collection, or love build meta gaming...preferably all three...

But I guess like the instant gratification generation always says : games are grindy and grind is bad!

Edited by Cyberdown

There needs to be more to this game than level up gear, getting mods for said gear, then using gear to get more gear to level up. It's an almost never ending cycle of obtaining and leveling up gear. I would look over it if gameplay was more exciting, but I was more into using melee weapons than guns when I was gonna get into this game. So then I realize the games melee isn't all I expected. So I try to look into the background of the games setting and to my surprise there is little of that as well. Just questions with no answers. The potential is all there, but the progress being made is so slow in my perspective that is kinda frustrates me at times which is why I take long breaks.

So here I am waiting for melee 2.0 to give me something that is more enjoyable than emptying a clip into something, or more information about the mysteries of Warframe. Something that makes me feel more like a Tenno and something that will grab me and make me go "Hey, thats pretty cool!", or maybe something that is more than the never ending cycle of kill, loot, craft.

Edited by Darkmoone1

Pure boredom.

Yeah, I love this game, but it's so hard to play for more than 2 weeks then dropping it again for months. It's the same 3 tilesets and 5 missions types OVER and OVER. The main thing I hate actually is the game discouraged progress. All sentinels do is ruin any chance of stealth and they don't do any damage, and the second you max a weapon you never use it again because you need to max another for mastery rank, which you need to max to get another bp, which you need to farm, which you need to play repetitive missions to do, which you then have to wait a day for after all that, then rinse and repeat.

Generic weaponry

Clunky movement

Lack of direction

Lack of story

Lack of fulfilling content

Terrible new user experience

Endgame is nothing more than Defense/Survival

Constant updates that increase RNG

Constant updates that increase Dilution

Marketplace that makes no sense

No sense of player retention

Nothing to drive the player

Need I continue?

it's not just the players that are getting burned out - a quote from ratemyemployer.ca , on digital extremes - 

I can't recommend the place either. The owner has no interest in his people, the only time he will address or take note of you is when he has something negative to say. Suggestions, complaints etc from anyone are dismissed or duly noted. If you're lucky, he will actually look at you while you talk to him. I don't think he's a bad person, just clearly burned out and uninterested. 
Motivational speaks to the team are usually (and i quote!): 'You can either start working, or get the hell out of here'. That is the overall attitude at DE, if you don't like it, leave. 
'Working' equals giving up weekends and working through holidays. 
They do lie constantly about deadlines ie. will say it's monday so people have to come over the weekend only to find out monday, that nothing's going on. 
Poor planning, management and lack of foresight have ruined that place.

sourced - 

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/DI/Digital-Extremes/ON/3416#

To me it is a lot of factors. Been passive active on forums and barely active in the game for a month and a half or close to it now. A lot of things matter. The lack of fixes of old issues, ignorance towards the community, the burning out grind, the lies and stating one thing and then doing the opposite.

And I used to love this game. I used to, it was one of my favorite games of all time but now, well now I just can't go back at least for now. And Melee 2.0 got delayed, yet again is just a cherry on the top of the ice cream desert.

it's not just the players that are getting burned out - a quote from ratemyemployer.ca , on digital extremes - 

I can't recommend the place either. The owner has no interest in his people, the only time he will address or take note of you is when he has something negative to say. Suggestions, complaints etc from anyone are dismissed or duly noted. If you're lucky, he will actually look at you while you talk to him. I don't think he's a bad person, just clearly burned out and uninterested. 

Motivational speaks to the team are usually (and i quote!): 'You can either start working, or get the hell out of here'. That is the overall attitude at DE, if you don't like it, leave. 

'Working' equals giving up weekends and working through holidays. 

They do lie constantly about deadlines ie. will say it's monday so people have to come over the weekend only to find out monday, that nothing's going on. 

Poor planning, management and lack of foresight have ruined that place.

sourced - 

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/DI/Digital-Extremes/ON/3416#

Well, that rating was from '08.

However, the most recent one from July 2013 is probably your best bet

"It was good for a while. But then the management changed for the worse and pretty much everyone there is unhappy. Communism is openly thought of as ideal."