Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Revamp The Parkour

Jumba255

So as all of you may or may not have known a new game called Titanfall has been released for PC (and some other platforms but whatevs) and it has ninja parkour and guns and it feels so fluid and nice it makes warframe's parkour seem like an old man tried to walk up an icy hill in his slippers (it doesn't work so well). 

Titanfall and warframe are far from being the same game, the most obvious reason being the FPS vs. TPS but I feel like the physics could be implemented into warframe and be freakin awesome

Here's a video by someone else (not me, I had nothing to do with this video)

Again this isn't mine its someone's on youtube

So if you haven't played titanfall and need a bit more explaining on the parkour features then:

1. Just have to run at a wall at an angle or hit it and turn to run on the wall (all you hit is the move forward butting and sprint button)

2. to jump you just have to jump and you can also chain wall run's by doing this

3. a feature not seen in that video is the wall hang. When running on the wall you hold the aim button and you stop (automatically, no need to complicate things), stick to the wall and can hip-fire your weapon.

sounds great to me but I'm posting this to see what YOU have to say about it.

Edited by Jumba255

In fairness, Titanfall is tripple A PvP game, with a great dev team responsible for some of the best shooters available.

Warframe, well, isn't.

I hope the DE team give Titanfall a go, if only to steal some good ideas from it.

*Edit* the scary thing is, the guy in that video is by no means the best parkour player right now, some of the higher level player fights are just amazing to see.

Of course, I ruin it by sniping them from a top of a building, but hey, they gotta learn :P

Edited by Keltik0ne

Let's not forget Warframe doesn't have created, orchestrated, missions. We have randomized (Very well made) tilesets. 

I laugh at this due to the size of DE's Warframe team. Seriously, DE made the current system and it works. 

Edited by un1337ninj4

Let's not forget Warframe doesn't have created, orchestrated, missions. We have randomized (Very well made) tilesets. 

I laugh at this due to the size of DE's Warframe team. Seriously, DE made the current system and it works. 

I have been looking at most of the "tiles" (not sure if I'm using that right) and they can easily (well I mean it will work if they get around the fact that it's probably really tough to do with all the animation and whatnot) incorporate the wallrunning and jumping and even wall hanging to be effective in stealth and combat

In fairness, Titanfall is tripple A PvP game, with a great dev team responsible for some of the best shooters available.

Warframe, well, isn't.

I hope the DE team give Titanfall a go, if only to steal some good ideas from it.

*Edit* the scary thing is, the guy in that video is by no means the best parkour player right now, some of the higher level player fights are just amazing to see.

Of course, I ruin it by sniping them from a top of a building, but hey, they gotta learn :P

yea I can see warframe has a smaller and "less experienced" team but I'm not so sure that those other guys that made titanfall made any other games that incorporated that type of parkour into shooters.

Haven't played Titanfall (don't really have any interest in it), but Warframe's movement desperately needs an overhaul.

For a game that is marketed as a "ninja" game, and a game that has movement and parkour as one of its main selling points, Warframe really doesn't do it well.

This is for several reasons. I created a thread a while ago about the movement, here it is - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/149149-movement-20-overhauling-the-clunky-movement-and-acrobatics/

The 2 main things wrong with it are:

1) No fluidity. None at all

2) The tiles in Warframe seem to be anti-movement. 

Give the thread a read (and leave your thoughts if you want) along with the responses to get an idea of what I mean.

*Edit*

For those that don't want to read my thread.

Here are my 4 points to improve parkour.

First - Remove coptering

Second - Remove the ability to launch yourself ridiculous distances after a wallrun.

Third - Give movement a place in the game. Make it something more than a gimmick.

Fourth - Integrate it with gameplay.

Edited by Nugget_

After playing Titanfall and coming back to warframe I keep trying to do some neat tricks with the parkour but I just can't because it feels so "sticky" like I am stuck in the animation and it can't break fast enough or it won't let me run up the wall in the first place because I didn't press the buttons right. 

I know this seems like a personal problem but I think changing the parkour mechanics would make a lot of people happy

Warframe's movement desperately needs an overhaul.

For a game that is marketed as a "ninja" game, and a game that has movement and parkour as one of its main selling points, Warframe really doesn't do it well.

Exactly what I'm saying right there

Looking forward for Parkour 2.0. But first...

Remove copter.

Edit: I don't mind parkour being my endgame. I remember I spent hours in Prototype just doing parkour instead of doing the mission.

Edited by mcKentucky

We already know parkour 2.0 is coming. Soooo...

Also there are even better examples of parkour out there that we've that for longer.

*cought*Mirror's Edge*cough*Prince of Persia*cough*[list intensifies]

Mirror's edge wasn't as fluid as titanfall and you could only run or climb certain walls or objects

never played prince of persia so I can't comment on that

When did they announce parkour 2.0? I havn't been watching the streams for awhile now and I'm kinda in the dark

They didn't. Geoff said he would take a look at the parcour animation and try to smooth them out a little. That is all.

He said that the tiles themselves make it technically difficult to have freely controlled parcour (like changing direction while wallrunning).

Combine everything with the horrible endurance system and parcour is neither worth it nor fun most of the time.

yea I can see warframe has a smaller and "less experienced" team but I'm not so sure that those other guys that made titanfall made any other games that incorporated that type of parkour into shooters.

You actually have it totally wrong, the Titanfall team is smaller than the team they have currently on Warframe.

You should look up how many guys Respawn actually has, its half the size of DE :P

Haven't played Titanfall (don't really have any interest in it), but Warframe's movement desperately needs an overhaul.

This is for several reasons. I created a thread a while ago about the movement, here it is - https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/149149-movement-20-overhauling-the-clunky-movement-and-acrobatics/

Give the thread a read (and leave your thoughts if you want) along with the responses to get an idea of what I mean.

*Edit*

For those that don't want to read my thread.

Here are my 4 points to improve parkour.

First - Remove coptering

Second - Remove the ability to launch yourself ridiculous distances after a wallrun.

Third - Give movement a place in the game. Make it something more than a gimmick.

Fourth - Integrate it with gameplay.

That worries me a bit. 

That probably means a revamp of all the pre phobos tilesets

You actually have it totally wrong, the Titanfall team is smaller than the team they have currently on Warframe.

You should look up how many guys Respawn actually has, its half the size of DE :P

They were made by Activision for one specific franchise. DE has other projects on their hands. And as i have seen, other companies use DE as outsource team.