Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Remove Arc Traps. Add Proximity Stun Mines.

Brimir

The biggest issue with these Arc Traps is

a. Their range.

b. Their ability to instantly hit you the second you turn a corner, or enter a new room.

So I suggest we scrap that and instead add Proximity Stun Mines that guarantees the Tenno to be stunned for a few seconds if triggered. These would only react when you get really close to them (to compensate they could be set to spawn along paths where the Tenno is most likely to walk). Give them a slight visual cue but a strong audio cue so that the player knows that they are near.

By having a hazard that relies on the player actually triggering it (i.e making a mistake) rather than it instantly hitting you when you enter it's line of sight, you remove a lot of the anti-fun of the Arc Traps. The cheapness of their design.

Are you seriously suggesting that additional stuns are going to be more fun?

Wow man.  Just wow.

When they are avoidable unless you screw up, then yes. People want more difficulty and challenge in the game, and if you make the traps right (i.e not dirty cheap like these Arc Traps) they can be a healthy addition to the game.

This is why the Corpus Security Lasers are a great example of a "trap" done right: they are annoying if you get caught, but you only get caught if you (or another player) makes the mistake of being spotted by a Security Camera.

If you don't screw it up, you are rewarded with easy access through the door.

Edited by Brimir

You do realize you can see the arc traps through walls with the scanner, right?

And how does that help when they are spawned at such an angle that there is no possible way to take them out without them (unavoidable) hitting you first?

There's just no skill involved on the player's part; it is all luck with these Arc Traps.

The best course of action is (ironically) to just rush through the mission as usual, avoiding the damage by being exposed to their line of sight for as little time as possible.

Edited by Brimir

I wouldn't mind arc traps so much if there werent FIFTY IN EVERY ROOM.

OK, that's hyperbole, but yeah, the damn things are absolutely everywhere.  And, quite frankly, the Grineer have enough advantages over the Corpus without adding a trap that neutralizes any power you have running (say bye-bye to your Rhino,) to leave you exposed to all of their bombards and napalms.

The worst thing the Corpus have is the damn railgun Moa, and that got nerfed because people complained about its knockdown (which isn't nearly as annoying as those goddamn scorpions ziplining me all over the room.)

And how does that help when they are spawned at such an angle that there is no possible way to take them out without them (unavoidable) hitting you first?

There's just no skill involved on the player's part; it is all luck with these Arc Traps.

The best course of action is (ironically) to just rush through the mission as usual, avoiding the damage by being exposed to their line of sight for as little time as possible.

Which voids the whole purpose of their addition in the first place. Exactly.

I agree with this man. +1

I wouldn't mind arc traps so much if there werent FIFTY IN EVERY ROOM.

OK, that's hyperbole, but yeah, the damn things are absolutely everywhere.  And, quite frankly, the Grineer have enough advantages over the Corpus without adding a trap that neutralizes any power you have running (say bye-bye to your Rhino,) to leave you exposed to all of their bombards and napalms.

The worst thing the Corpus have is the damn railgun Moa, and that got nerfed because people complained about its knockdown (which isn't nearly as annoying as those goddamn scorpions ziplining me all over the room.)

Cause the game is so difficult, amirite?

*facepalm*

Only noticed the nerf recently. I still want them to bring back the old Disruptor and Toxic ancients.

Edited by kaboomonme

I dont really like your idea, real mission events and hazard would be much cooler than stuff that makes a fast-paced game go slower.

I would just like those traps to be removed overall without any thing added for it.

Like, we could also add nervos =P

How are you going to prevent this with your proximity mines?  And whatever method you use, why not just use that on the current arc traps?

How are you going to prevent this with your proximity mines?

Audio/visual cues - like a blinking light and a beeping that would get higher the closer you get. You could even add like a second-long delay to the explosion which could give the Tenno with fast reflexes enough time to roll out of the way. In either case, you'd have ample chance to avoid them - unlike the Arc Traps which gives you no time to retaliate.

My mines would not punish you unless you rush through and/or make a careless mistake. Just like the Corpus (and now also) Grineer security doors.

And whatever method you use, why not just use that on the current arc traps?

I'd be totally down with Arc Traps being turned into mines.

Edited by Brimir

Your mines have the exact same problem you've described on the arc trap when I pointed out you could see them with the scanner.  Audio-visual clues make detection easier, but the fact is you still have to go through that door - and you can't do anything about the mine because of the wall.  Only now, instead of dumb luck damaging you, it's stunning you.

You could add a half second long window before the explosion, sure.  But you could much more easily do that with the current arc traps.

Your mines have the exact same problem you've described on the arc trap when I pointed out you could see them with the scanner.  Audio-visual clues make detection easier, but the fact is you still have to go through that door - and you can't do anything about the mine because of the wall.  Only now, instead of dumb luck damaging you, it's stunning you.

Nup.

The key is in the name: Proximity Mines.

Whereas the Arc Traps would zap you as soon as it sees you, from across the room even, you would have to get near and trigger the mine. You can look around the corner and spot the mine without it triggering; you can't do that with the Arc Trap because it would zap you the instant you turn the corner to look for it.

I absolutely love this idea.

Guys, What he is suggesting is you step on these mines, Then you get stunned.

How the current traps are, You walk anywhere even REMOTELY nearby and you get zapped.

This would be quite a bit more nicer.

Are you seriously suggesting that additional stuns are going to be more fun?

Wow man.  Just wow.

^ This

I'll take Arc traps that do double damage over proximity mines that ****ing STUN you any day.  Not sure what the **** the OP is thinking on this one.

^ This

I'll take Arc traps that do double damage over proximity mines that ****ing STUN you any day.  Not sure what the **** the OP is thinking on this one.

Proximity mines.

Proximity.

Ergo, not attacking you from the other end of the room like these freaking Arc Traps.

Proximity mines.

Proximity.

Ergo, not attacking you from the other end of the room like these freaking Arc Traps.

Yes, we all know what PROXIMITY means.  We get it.  After 5 people stressing PROXIMITY I'm pretty sure we're all on board.

Cool beans?

Now that that's out of the way...

The definition still doesn't make the idea any less ****ing stupid.  I repeat:  I will happily take Arc traps with their current range and twice the damage over a proximity mine that stuns.

Capisce?

I've yet to actually die to one of these Arc traps.  In fact, I've yet to actually see anyone in my regular group die from one of these things.  Then again, my group isn't filled to the brim with ding-dongs who think it's a good idea not to run with at least one defensive mod slotted.  But hey, that's just us.  The only people I see complaining about these things in-game are the random puggers that end up filling our last slot who think it's a bright idea to bring Nova or a similarly squishy Warframe to a 30+ survial/defense with 300 health and 200 shields.

Yeah... because that's always a good idea.

/rolleyes

Having a proximity mine, on the other hand, (that you know is not going to be obvious to spot) pop on you when you turn a corner which proceeds to stun you and a team mate whilst the horde of <insert level 50+ mobs of choice here> proceed to **** up your night doesn't exactly sit well with me.

Then again I'm not a noob complaining about getting instagibbed by an Arc trap on Mercury while I was trying to impress random try-hards with my 4 forma'd Nova decked to the nines for DPS and "zomggottagettothebaddiesbeforeanyoneelse" super speed.

/shrug

Nope

nope

NOPE

its already bad enough when I am chained stunned/knocked down by scorpions and lancers maybe a bombard/heavy gunner, now you want to add another stun?

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOOLOOLOOOOLOOO

You do realize you can see the arc traps through walls with the scanner, right?

To paraphrase you, "you do" realize that often times the arc traps are behind objects or clip through walls and there is nothing you can do about them, right? "You do realize" that often times you spawn right into the arc traps and have virtually no time to react?

So what you are saying is that we should all spawn in and crawl around at snail speed with the scanner on, right? Because, who needs to shoot anything, when you have to scan for traps, amirite?

Edited by HansJurgen