Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"required Mods"

Snixpix

I've noticed the term "required mods" appear on the Livestreams before and was thinking about how you could make those mods not required. If you do not know what I mean by "required mods", I am talking about Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point and that fact that in order to increase your base damage of anything you need these mods.

But what if you were to able lose those mods and still keep the damage? That would give you one more slot to use on your weapon, which I know I sure could use. For instance, right now I'm doing a Grakata build that I have to either choose between Hammershot and Shred, but If I did not need to equip Serration I could keep both of those mods.

So I propose taking Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure point out and scaling damage with the rank of the weapon. I do not know if they would give us a Legendary item like they gave us the Legendary Core for Steel Charge, but freeing up a mod slot on a weapon would be enough for me. 

What do you think? Do you think that those damage upgrade mods should be left alone and giving anybody even the newer players access to maxed Serration just for leveling a weapon to 30 would be too much? OR, do you think that this is a good idea and you would love to ditch a "required" mod in favor of freeing up a slot?

If you disagree with my idea, please leave your suggestion of how you would implement this.

I suppose, as long as damage reaches max at r4 of 30, this is a great idea. Otherwise, no.

EDIT: For clarity sake: If you have a potato and a v slot, every max ranked "required" mod can be installed at r4. Anything less is unfair in the face of this.

Edited by Llyssa

I support this, and have actually proposed such an idea before; not for the extra mod slot, but for the new players that have trouble finding the "mandatory mods".

The problem with this idea is leaving empty slot, which will indirectly buff all guns especially biggest buff offender(boltor prime would get extra 6k dps from bane).

Unless we can split it, some base power + weaker dmg mod that will fill that space, this could solve some problems for new players while avoiding increasing power for veterans.

although I support the idea of damage increase as weapons increase in rank, unfortunately it wouldnt fit into the current model of the combat system in this particular game. Mostly because of the amount of increase you gain from a maxed serration and how easily attainable it would be with the little amount of time it takes to level a weapon.

If something like that were implemented, they would have to rework the entire exp system, and/or probably rescale the enemies again to be much harder at a much earlier time when advancing through the solar map, among other things. Plus as "unbalanced" as people say this game is, whatever progress has been made thus far would be mute with this one change. You would be starting from scratch again attempting to rebalance things.

Realistically an easier method to simplify this idea without all the reprogramming, would be to ask for an extra mod slot. Then at least all you have to deal with is balance issues. But really, do we need it? My thought is probably not. There has to be a limit somewhere. I know ive said to myself on a few occasions "man if I only had one more mod slot, I could put on X mod and this thing would be the ultimate OP weapon".  Personally Im glad I dont have that option. It forces people to actually think about what is more important to them and what they are willing to sacrifice in combat. The addition of even one more mod slot would be one step backwards to the old rainbow builds era. I dont think we need to get back to the time where our weapons could fart in the wind and annihilate a planet. Besides, most of everything is OP on the solar map anyways given enough forma.

But then if the argument is that it would be better for end game, then I have to ask: what is your end game? Endless defense? Endless survival? Is that one extra mod going to give you an extra 5 waves or 5 min, and after how many to begin with? 40 min? 60 min? As a regular 40+ min survivalist I can tell you one more mod isnt going to give you the extra push. There gets to be a point where its not your weapons that will take you to where you want to go. It comes down to you, the people that are with you, and the collective skill among you to communicate and work effectively. No amount of mods will ever change that.

i like the idea of having situational Mods that increase Damage when you do certain things. we could have dozens of them, all giving a fair increase at a moderate cost. even overall totalling up to more Damage than we have now, but it would be situational, not 'at all times'. 

yes, that's talking about '+50% Damage on Weakpoints' or '+50% Damage for 2 seconds on kill' or '+100% Damage when hitting multiple targets with one shot' - you get the idea. 

dozens of similar power, situational Mods, saturates the player with a lot of choices, and the impossibility of equipping them all. not being able to equip everything at once is actually a good thing.

take the base dmg mods like serration/hornet strike, split their %'s in half, and have the missing half now become a scaling % on the weapons themselves based on their ranks (unranked-30).

IE:

Current serration 15%-165%

New Serration: 15%-90%

Weapon Ranks: 2.5% dmg increase per weapon level

this would be a combined total up to the usual serration values but lets players manage and scale better without actually owning serration.

this way there is "some" damage increase but not too much, gives ranking a weapon meaning, give an immediate benefit to the weapon in the same way that frame ranks give immediate energy/hp/shield increases and makes the actual serration mod a benefit but not a major necessity for starters.

Edited by Methanoid

take the base dmg mods like serration/hornet strike, split their %'s in half, and have the missing half now become a scaling % on the weapons themselves based on their ranks (unranked-30).

IE:

Current serration 15%-165%

New Serration: 15%-90%

Weapon Ranks: 2.5% dmg increase per weapon level

this would be a combined total up to the usual serration values but lets players manage and scale better without actually owning serration.

this way there is "some" damage increase but not too much, gives ranking a weapon meaning, give an immediate benefit to the weapon in the same way that frame ranks give immediate energy/hp/shield increases and makes the actual serration mod a benefit but not a major necessity for starters.

That actually sounds workable without killing balance. I like it.

That actually sounds workable without killing balance. I like it.

aye, end result is pretty much the same once a weapons at 30, no major changes, just something small, serration/etc doesnt get "nerfed" as on a rank30 weapon it would perform as it does now anyways, drop tables wouldnt have to be altered, etc etc etc.