The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Grineer Counter Frame?

Neutralred

So, after playing Mag for a bit, I'm in love pretty sure that she was designed with the express intent to wreck Corpus face. A single Mag on the team turns the highest level Corpus missions into a cakewalk.

This is pretty similar to an effect I've seen when playing with those who were lucky enough to have acquired the elusive Vauban. Vauban's abilities completely trivialise Infested missions. It's almost hilarious how completely Vortex and Bastille can nullify melee.

Now what I'm wondering is, what's the Grineer hard counter? Do they have one? Grineer have such a variety of weaponry that it's hard to imagine anything much working across the spectrum, their armour doesn't seem to have a weakness, and it's difficult to defeat hitscan and knockdowns. Is there such a thing as an anti-Grineer build?

From my point of view there isn't, but by all means prove me wrong. I'm also wondering what it would take to make the other factions less vulnerable to their counters... obviously more ranged units for the Infested, like perhaps a Lephantis-style spitter enemy. Probably armoured mechs/heavy cyborgs for the Corpus - less reliance on shields goes against the Corpus flavour, but would go a long way toward enhancing their flexibility.

Inb4 moved to Players Helping Players. :D

The hard counters to Grineer are the ones that they can't aimbot or stunlock to death. Rhino and Trinity are great since they're immune to both when modded, but a well-modded Loki is effectively immune from being targeted in the first place and can avoid things that Rhino/Trinity can't (e.g. Commander stunlocks, which are unavoidable if you're being targeted). Loki can also strip anything around him of their ranged weapons and abilities, with the exception of Scorpions.

Saryn was originally designed as a counter to the Grineer, but thanks to D2.0, Corrosive (Miasma) no longer ignores armor on Elite Lancers, Eviscerators, Bombards, or Napalms. Viral and Toxin (other abilities) do not ignore any armor at all.

Edited by SortaRandom

I'm going to cast my vote for Oberon. All his powers minus Renewal do Radiation dmg, which is highly effective for all the high-threats in the Grineer army. Smite and Reckoning are your main methods for dmg, and Hallowed Ground for close-quarters, and even better for upcomming Melee 2.0, giving you a pain carpet to fight on.

But bring a weapon that does Corrosive dmg, for Heavy Gunners.

-Jin

Zephyr. Grineer can't track moving targets to save their lives(literally), turbulance makes virtually all of their weapons worthless, their best/most-common crowd-control manuever is a KD stomp which only works on grounded targets, they have hideously(hilariously?) long KD recovery time, and their excessive use of standing still while firing makes them easy tornado fodder.

EDIT: Oh, and as a bonus, grineer typically light tornadoes on fire, which then causes everyone it swallows to proc fire DoT on top of the damage the tornado does directly.

Edited by Llyssa

Zephyr. Grineer can't track moving targets to save their lives(literally), turbulance makes virtually all of their weapons worthless, their best/most-common crowd-control manuever is a KD stomp which only works on grounded targets, they have hideously(hilariously?) long KD recovery time, and their excessive use of standing still while firing makes them easy tornado fodder.

EDIT: Oh, and as a bonus, grineer typically light tornadoes on fire, which then causes everyone it swallows to proc fire DoT on top of the damage the tornado does directly.

That's a good thought. I don't use Zepher that much. This is good to.

-Jin

Saryn certainly used to be able to kill grineer with ease because her attacks ignored armor, dealing static damage.

At least before Dmg2.0 put her beneath a glass ceiling. 

Now we just have those that can "put up" with the grineer's beatings. Rhino, Trinity, Valkyr (with their immunity to CC).

I could also say Nova, but there isn't a faction Nova cant counter.

Loki, Saryn, Nova (AMD deals radiation damage), Frost (cold damage is strong vs alloy armor)... Rhino, Nyx and Trinity can do the job well too : they are useful everywhere, same as Nova btw. Ember seems useful too (heat damage deals +25% damage vs cloned flesh).

Edited by Einde

Nobody's mentioned Frost yet, so here's my 2 cents:

Frost's globe still negates most of the Grineer troops.

Frost's nuke damage isn't penalized horribly by low to mid level Grineer.

The buff to Avalanche's damage allows it to kill Heavy Grineer in at least two casts well into the 30s.

There is no single warframe that gives you a grineer counter similar to Mag or Vauban, but a combination of two or more of Saryn, Loki and Oberon can be devastating. The corrosive proc from Saryn lowers enemy armour making them easier to kill and is lethal to anything with ferrite armour. Oberon's radiation skills are extremely powerful against anything with alloy armour. Loki is able to remove their greatest assets and then group them in a small area just right for a powerful aoe. If you throw a Rhino into the mix as well buffing Saryn's and Oberon's damage output with Roar you will see a lot of very dead grineer in a very short space of time.

There is no single warframe that gives you a grineer counter similar to Mag or Vauban, but a combination of two or more of Saryn, Loki and Oberon can be devastating. The corrosive proc from Saryn lowers enemy armour making them easier to kill and is lethal to anything with ferrite armour. Oberon's radiation skills are extremely powerful against anything with alloy armour. Loki is able to remove their greatest assets and then group them in a small area just right for a powerful aoe. If you throw a Rhino into the mix as well buffing Saryn's and Oberon's damage output with Roar you will see a lot of very dead grineer in a very short space of time.

Miasma doesn't proc consistently enough to make it useful vs alloy armor.  Oberon's radiation skills minus carpet deal half of their damage as impact, which is both weak against and armor mitigated by Grineer. 

The best frames vs Grineer ability-damage-wise are Nova with her Amatter drop (Nova is amazing against everything though) and Ash, who ignores armor with his 4.  That heavy Grineer are difficult enough that team synergy becomes important is obvious. 

Miasma doesn't proc consistently enough to make it useful vs alloy armor.  Oberon's radiation skills minus carpet deal half of their damage as impact, which is both weak against and armor mitigated by Grineer. 

The best frames vs Grineer ability-damage-wise are Nova with her Amatter drop (Nova is amazing against everything though), Oberon with his carpet, and Ash, who ignores armor with his 4.  That heavy Grineer are difficult enough that team synergy becomes important is obvious. 

The best frames vs Grineer ability-damage-wise are Nova with her Amatter drop (Nova is amazing against everything though) and Ash, who ignores armor with his 4.  That heavy Grineer are difficult enough that team synergy becomes important is obvious.

That is why I said a combination is the best. Hallowed Ground is Oberon's best skill, if you know how to use it. To get the most from it requires the use of choke points or agro drawing frames or abilities. I discounted Nova because she is an anti-everything frame, rather than grineer specific.