Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Now That We Know That Warframe And Dark Sector Is Linked, How Are The Tenno And Hayden Linked?

Post your theories here. 

In my opinion, we are infectees, or perhaps the children of infectees of his Technocyte virus, which lay dormant in our bodies until we were exposed to the Void to catalyze it.  I like to call his strain "TennoCyte".  This gave us powers, and those of us who honed them became Tenno, masters of our affliction.  Nadia couldn't be considered a Tenno, since she is slave to her affliction.  Hayden was the first to overcome it, and make it his tool.  Hence why we are called Tenno and not Sulek.

We Learn from his example.

Warframe Lore

It’s without surprise that the Proto Armor has raised questions about the Lore of Warframe. For many players, Dark Sector was the beginning. The Proto Armor has indicated that yes, Dark Sector and Warframe are inextricably linked. Stay tuned for more!

As if all of the Aesthetic similarities(Jackal, Excalibur, Grineer Armor), our names, and the Glaive werent proof enough, lol. 

Edited by Gaminus

My thoughts:

I'm of the mind that the relationship between Hayden Tenno and the Warframe Tenno is similar to the relationship between the Generation 1 and Generation 2 Death Knights in Warcraft - they share a theme and some powers, but their powers come from two separate sources entirely and Generation 2 was not spawned out of Generation 1.

Or at least something to that effect, but for the moment it IS confirmed that Hayden's actions in Dark Sector had some sort of effect on the world that is at least part of the reason things are the way they are now.

Along with that, I think we DEFINITELY have some previous origins in Technocyte Mezner (from Dark Sector) created, given that Hayden was unable to shut down the transmission that was gathering the Infected (or whatever it was doing).

My thoughts:

Along with that, I think we DEFINITELY have some previous origins in Technocyte Mezner (from Dark Sector) created, given that Hayden was unable to shut down the transmission that was gathering the Infected (or whatever it was doing).

It's why some infested bosses call us "Their Flesh".  Because we are. 

I personally think the Orokin are technocyte entities. 

Hundreds of thousands of years difference at the very least.

Even if DE said, without any beating around the bush, that yes - Dark Sector happened in the same universe - it doesn't really matter when said by itself. 

The connection is behind the scenes. Dark Sector isn't supposed to have a direct or important connection - if we were supposed to see such a thing it'd probably be more obvious in the way the world is structured.

My theory is that the story of the released Dark Sector (and not DE's original creative vision) and the story of Warframe (which was DE's sort of 'intended' vision for Dark Sector) is linked in the same way that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is linked.

Spiritual successor, tons of similar elements, homages and similarities, but canonically separate.

It's why some infested bosses call us "Their Flesh".  Because we are. 

I personally think the Orokin are technocyte entities. 

Let me dig up my connection post...

Here we go:

Just finished watching a Dark Sector playthrough, and here's what I've pieced together:

SPOILER WARNINGS ARE G0D:

and cookies are Jesus

Mezner's attempt to activate/collect all the Infected went through successfully, partially due to the fact that the Technocyte developed its own sentience somewhere along the way because of his tampering (hence how Mezner was seemingly reanimated after Hayden killed him) and it was able to continue the transmission. For whatever reason, Hayden was able to resist it, so he was able to go on to do whatever he did while it spread across the rest of the world - I base this off of the final line being "that was how it started"; SOMETHING began that day, and without a strong indication that Hayden was able to STOP the transmission from collecting the Infested I think we can assume that it was whatever Mezner (or, perhaps, more appropriately: the Technocyte Virus) was out to do.

So what we then have are the humans of earth fighting against a new breed of monster. Millions were likely wiped out, leaving only a handful (comparatively speaking) that, like Hayden, were able to resist the greater infection to some extent (maybe not have powers as well, but were at least not consumed by it). They grew, and over time they became strong enough to forge and Empire (the Orokin Empire) - humanity was changed in its coming, now they were the Orokin (which is why it could be said, by them looking back and thinking of the previous humans not as a separate thing but as Orokin as well to some degree, the Orokin (humans) developed the Technocyte - that or it was later rediscovered by them). Around this time you also had the formation of the original Tenno Order, in whatever form it came in.

THEN enter the Sentients, and whatever they are, to wage war against the Orokin. The war goes HORRIBLY wrong for the Orokin, and so they turn to the Tenno order, take children with the highest concentration of Technocyte in them (and, by extension, the most likely to develop some sort of powers) and sent them into the Void to try and supercharge those powers or get them to mature to some degree - or perhaps this all happened BEFORE the Sentients showed up and they were simply looking to test out a few theories with Orokin test subjects? We'll have to see.

Either way: the war rages, the Tenno and their Orokin-created Warframes fight back. It rages for years, and in that time the Tenno develop their own society within the Orokin, which leads to the production of new Tenno with different powers (via Sci Fi genetics) and to the Tenno design of Warframes (the regular frames, in contrast to the Orokin Prime). The Tenno are victorious, they then turn against the Orokin for whatever reason, and then lock themselves into cryosleep.

Fast forward thousands upon thousands of years into the future: the Tenno begin to awake, their memories damages/completely wiped by the extended Cryosleep (versus the in-out sort of sleep the Stalker presumably had that allowed him to last this long), and find themselves where we are now. Making the decisions that we make now.

It will take more lore to fully determine what adds up and what needs alteration, but I think this is as good a place as any to start with a chronological progression.

Edited by Morec0

My theory is that the story of the released Dark Sector (and not DE's original creative vision) and the story of Warframe (which was DE's sort of 'intended' vision for Dark Sector) is linked in the same way that Demon's Souls and Dark Souls is linked.

Spiritual successor, tons of similar elements, homages and similarities, but canonically separate.

Basically this.

Even if DE said, without any beating around the bush, that yes - Dark Sector happened in the same universe - it doesn't really matter. 

The connection is behind the scenes. Dark Sector isn't supposed to have a direct or important connection - if we were supposed to see such a thing it'd probably be more obvious in the way the world is structured.

Still, I want to know what happened to Hayden, and how he affected the world.  I wonder, is he sleeping in a cryopod somewhere....

Could we awake him, one day?

Still, I want to know what happened to Hayden, and how he affected the world.  I wonder, is he sleeping in a cryopod somewhere....

Probably not. Can you think of any non-completely lame ways to justify Hayden Tenno being put on ice that lone?

There is no reason for any part of Hayden Tenno's legacy to still exist.

The sharing of so many names and symbols is because Warframe is the type of game world that Dark Sector was supposed to be originally.

Even if DE said, without any beating around the bush, that yes - Dark Sector happened in the same universe - it doesn't really matter when said by itself. 

A single drop of water in a pond, ripples for ages.

Let alone a bucket.

Pretty sure the message is that the Hayden Tenno of Dark Sector and the Hayden Tenno of Warframe are two different dudes. Canonically separate. 

Basically this.

EXCEPT that Megan uses the word "inextricably"

Inextricable: not permitting extrication; incapable of being the act of releasing from a snarled or tangled condition
Extrication: the act of releasing from a snarled or tangled condition

The wording suggests that they are INDEED connected in a way that cannot be loosely defined by separation of a conological nature.

Probably not. Can you think of any non-completely lame ways to justify Hayden Tenno being put on ice that lone?

There is no reason for any part of Hayden Tenno's legacy to still exist.

The sharing of so many names and symbols is because Warframe is the type of game world that Dark Sector was supposed to be originally.

This I DO agree with. Unless he did something REALLY AWESOME, there is not real reason to bring him back other than for a pointless cameo (and we've got the Excalibur skin for that, so no need).

Edited by Morec0

A single drop of water in a pond, ripples for ages.

Let alone a bucket.

That is cute and all, but see

Probably not. Can you think of any non-completely lame ways to justify Hayden Tenno being put on ice that long? 

It'd be a huge hole in logic for the people of Hayden's time to just randomly decide "Oh S#&$, we better put this guy in Cryostasis in case someone needs him in the next hundred thousand years or so."

The wording suggests that they are INDEED connected in a way that cannot be loosely defined by separation of a conological nature.

This I DO agree with. Unless he did something REALLY AWESOME, there is not real reason to bring him back other than for a pointless cameo (and we've got the Excalibur skin for that, so no need).

Well, we don't know what he did after Dark Sector.

Did he roam the world, cleaning up monstrosities and protecting?  Seems like that could be the case, looking at our pattern of behavior.

Did he conquer it, in the name of peace?  Probably not.  The Orokin seem more keen on that.

To deny that he is important, is fallacy.

Edited by Gaminus

They've always been linked. Warframe is literally the game that DE wanted to make back when EA meddled and forced them to shift their game into what Dark Sector became.

Hell, I'd even be willing to buy that the Infested are a Void-tainted version of the Technocyte.

But trying to actually link the two in and major way plot-wise is going to be cringe inducing. I'm very, very pessimistic about how that'll go.

Yeah. We've got the skin. We've got the Glaive. That is already about as much of Hayden as this game needs.

They've always been linked. Warframe is literally the game that DE wanted to make back when EA meddled and forced them to shift their game into what Dark Sector became.

Hell, I'd even be willing to buy that the Infested are a Void-tainted version of the Technocyte.

But trying to actually link the two in and major way plot-wise is going to be cringe inducing. I'm very, very pessimistic about how that'll go.

Yeah. We've got the skin. We've got the Glaive. That is already about as much of Hayden as this game needs.

And his last name.

Because we weren't needed.

So, why cant he sleep too then? 

Maybe when we encounter the sentients he will awake and fight along side us.  

As much Hayden as the game needs, or as much Hayden as it has? For the most part, Dark Sector (talking the released one, not the original concept) can exist as a prequel to Warframe because there's nothing in Dark Sector that really affects the lore of Warframe because it happens so far in Warframe's past.

Check my second post on this threat, the big quoted box at the end of it. That's my thoughts on how Dark Sector led to the current universe.

As much Hayden as the game needs, or as much Hayden as it has? For the most part, Dark Sector (talking the released one, not the original concept) can exist as a prequel to Warframe because there's nothing in Dark Sector that really affects the lore of Warframe because it happens so far in Warframe's past.

How different would the real world be if Rome never burned, or if someone never came up with say, Christianity?

Those events happened thousands of years ago.  But they ripple throughout eternity.

And his last name.

So, why cant he sleep too then? 

Maybe when we encounter the sentients he will awake and fight along side us.  

1) Didn't have sufficient technology back then

2) Tenno slept because Lotus directed the Tenno to do so, because the Tenno really existed for one purpose: war. They don't have lives outside of that. And I say that because they are silent ninjas and assassins whose purpose is to fight and bring balance to the system. It's from the leaked pre-U9 datamined ingame text in which the Lotus gives the Tenno the directive to sleep. There is literally no reason that Hayden Tenno would sleep. He is not a Tenno, not in the way the Orokin-engineered/modified Tenno are. He didn't exist to destroy the Sentients, he didn't turn on the Orokin at the directive of the Lotus, and he didn't exist to bring balance to the system.

How different would the real world be if Rome never burned, or if someone never came up with say, Christianity?

Those events happened thousands of years ago.  But they ripple throughout eternity.

"came up with Christianity" I'd have to disagree on the phrasing of that statement, but that's a conversation for another forum. I'm saying that Dark Sector does exist within Warframe's lore, and that the events of Dark Sector do ripple throughout Warframe's story. By affect the proper word should have been contradict, as in there's nothing in Dark Sector to really contradict Warframe's lore. Even the ingame lore mentions that there may have been a similar Infested outbreak before the "Collapse", which is the Fall, which is the Orokin Fall. That is most likely talking about Dark Sector's story.

1) Didn't have sufficient technology back then

2) Tenno slept because Lotus directed the Tenno to do so, because the Tenno really existed for one purpose: war. They don't have lives outside of that. And I say that because they are silent ninjas and assassins whose purpose is to fight and bring balance to the system. It's from the leaked pre-U9 datamined ingame text in which the Lotus gives the Tenno the directive to sleep. There is literally no reason that Hayden Tenno would sleep. He is not a Tenno, not in the way the Orokin-engineered/modified Tenno are. He didn't exist to destroy the Sentients, he didn't turn on the Orokin at the directive of the Lotus, and he didn't exist to bring balance to the system.

1) Implying that he didn't survive long enough.  After all, he could be immortal owing to Technocyte.

2) Hayden Tenno is a Tenno.  He was the first Tenno, and we are named after him.  He would sleep because like us, he was not needed, or he knew something was coming.