Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Volt Under Powered?

ShadowKaino

Volt's main problem is just alloy armors ridiculous dampener on its damage output. It's not even really a problem with Volt so much as D2.0. 

Other than that his 2 and 3 skills are a little bland and awkward, but he's far from being underpowered.

Volt is strong vs everything but Grineer.  Vs Grineer his skills' damage is reduced heavily by armor and reduced to near irrelevance by the Alloy armor worn by heavy Grineer (elite lancers, napalms, bombards, eviscerators, and all grineer bosses.)  Nonetheless his ability to stunlock large groups with his 1 and 4 is very strong, his 4 is super strong if you break electronics with it, and 2 and 3 are both useful moves.  Volt is also durable due to his 450 base shield.  I would say that, like in most cases, Volt isn't the problem.  Heavy Grineer are the problem. 

I've honestly fallen in love with Volt lately. The only thing he's currently lacking is a larger Electric Shield and some better synergy with certain projectile weapons and his Shield (namely Torid, Ogris, bows). I have yet to even try Overload because I know it'll be just as disappointing as Molecular Prime.

Electric Shield scaling with range mods is a good idea and some interaction with the non-hitscan projectiles you mentioned would be cool. 

Edited by RealPandemonium

I've honestly fallen in love with Volt lately. The only thing he's currently lacking is a larger Electric Shield and some better synergy with certain projectile weapons and his Shield (namely Torid, Ogris, bows). I have yet to even try Overload because I know it'll be just as disappointing as Molecular Prime.

Yeah, it'd be nice if his shield grew with range mods.  Overload doesn't have the same feel as M-Prime or Miasma though, because it isn't one of those "everything instantly falls over dead" type of things.  You use it, and then you shoot while it does its thing.  It's sort of like an area-limited Super Shock.

Honestly, I have to wonder if people that think he sucks do silly things like mod him primarily for duration and range, instead of efficiency and power strength.

Exactly this. Power strength and "efficiency". But I've done the math and if you want to go Flow or Streamline, Flow benefits more since Volt is 150 nrg frame. If he was 225, streamline would be better. I use duration because of: speed, shield. My shields last for almost 30 secs.

Exactly this. Power strength and "efficiency". But I've done the math and if you want to go Flow or Streamline, Flow benefits more since Volt is 150 nrg frame. If he was 225, streamline would be better. I use duration because of: speed, shield. My shields last for almost 30 secs.

Yup, there's definitely different ways you can build.  Mine is focused more on using Shock a lot, with the added benefit of bursts of high speed.  I play Volt aggressively typically.  I tend not to have Shield slotted often.  Pretty much only for Defense, when I'll typically use it in place of Overload or Speed.  With my typical setup, it has a 17s duration, which I find long enough for my purposes.

My setup includes Fleeting Expertise as well, at R5, backed up by an R5 Streamline.  The extra Efficiency is then used to support an R2 Blind Rage for an extra 27% power strength.  Of course, that R5 FE comes with a hefty -60% power duration, but I offset that with Constitution, leaving me at -32%.  And for things I know will be pretty easy, where I wouldn't use Overload anyway, I swap out Overload for Continuity, leaving me with just a 2% penalty to duration.  That's my typical Invasion mission mode.

And there's plenty of room between where I'm at and you're at, for people who want to be somewhere in between.  Dropping Blind Rage frees up a slot and room for Continuity full time, plus reduces the penalty from Fleeing to 50% (since you only need R4 FE and Streamline then), so you could have +40% power (Intensify and hat) and +8% power duration.  Or you could just swap hats, losing 10% power for 10% more duration.  Or swap hats and lose Blind Rage...  Lots of room in the middle to find the right mix between Power, Efficiency, and duration.

On Streamline vs Flow, it depends on how you play.  Streamline benefits you more if you use your powers often.  You might only have an effective tank size of 214, but it effectively jumps Energy Siphon up to 0.85E per second and blue orbs to 35.  That translates into the ability to use more powers per mission.  A larger tank is more useful if you stockpile energy, use a ton in a small time segment, and then stockpile again, as that way, you have deeper reserves if you do need it, and you are less likely to waste potential energy regen when you aren't using it.  Both strategies are viable, depending on how you play.

It's a nice thing that Volt can support different styles.

Thanks for everyones feedback, i have been wondering for a while if he was worth building because i have been told he is the worst and weakest warframe.

He's not, but he's not the best. He's in a reasonable area, but if you're looking to use him as a power based alternative to gunplay, DON'T. Especially vs the Grineer. (Alloy armour gives a 50% damage reduction to electric damage, far too high IMO, should only be 25%) He'll augment your weapons, but his powers aren't nearly strong enough or grant sufficient utility to do the damage required to use them instead.

Shock is cheap and spammable, a great power and does a decent amount for damage to multiple targets, along with AoE and a 100% electric proc chance for CC stun. Personally I'd say it's up there with the best 1st powers like Ember's Fireball and Nyx' Mind control.

Speed, eh I'm not sure on this one, it's certainly nice when increasing speed and melee attack speed.

Electric shield.

Yes it's static, but I think that's fine. You'll hear complaints on how it isn't mobile and doesn't fit with Volt's supposed fluid playstyle. I think getting to hide behind an invulnerable shield which adds 50% electric damage and removes projectile travel time is a good thing, considering Volt will go down faster than you can blink once his shields go down. (He only has 15 armour, he's got high shields, but Electric shield is very useful when you're caught unprepared with low shields) It also serves very well in Defence and Mobile Defence missions. 

Overload. 

Weakest Ult. in the game does 900 damage with the energy pulses, the real damage comes from the arcs of electricity from overloaded lights and electronics, and that only happens once in each area, those can be up to 250 each I believe, now if you can set off 5 or 6, then yep he'll cause a really nice amount of damage, as each one functions in the same way as shock.

It's a power which can potentially do a lot of damage, but you are really going to suffer from diminishing returns after a single use, and it's absolute rubbish vs Grineer and on Defence and MD missions, don't bother. It's not worth the 100 energy price tag, better to spam shock. You'll get the same CC AoE stun mechanic and it's cheaper. 

Currently it's a useful AoE stun. That's it, if you're expecting World on fire lvls of damage etc, you'll be disappointed. It's far to situational and dependent on the environment.

Generally, Volt's decent, just don't expect anything great from him, he's mediocre.

Yup, there's definitely different ways you can build. Mine is focused more on using Shock a lot, with the added benefit of bursts of high speed. I play Volt aggressively typically. I tend not to have Shield slotted often. Pretty much only for Defense, when I'll typically use it in place of Overload or Speed. With my typical setup, it has a 17s duration, which I find long enough for my purposes.

On Streamline vs Flow, it depends on how you play. Streamline benefits you more if you use your powers often. You might only have an effective tank size of 214, but it effectively jumps Energy Siphon up to 0.85E per second and blue orbs to 35. That translates into the ability to use more powers per mission. A larger tank is more useful if you stockpile energy, use a ton in a small time segment, and then stockpile again, as that way, you have deeper reserves if you do need it, and you are less likely to waste potential energy regen when you aren't using it. Both strategies are viable, depending on how you play.

It's a nice thing that Volt can support different styles.

True. I've done the same math, but since I am running corrosive projection (helps a lot for guns, more then rifle amp since you actually more rely on guns then skills on 40+min t3 voids) instead of siphon I run with energy recovery which give 200 per 4 ticks. Anyway... yes shock is his most used utility and as I said it can jump between 5-8 targets.

My build:

Storm helm (aka my avatar helm)

Aura: corrosive projection (1 forma from V to -)

all 4 skills maxed

Vigor + Redir maxed

Intesify maxed

flow maxed

stretch maxed (for those extra long AOE and extra shock range)

Constituion maxed (I tend to Kogake a lot with Volt and am always at front because od 1290 shields, that extra knockdown recovery helps sometimes, especially when blast AOE is in place)

and last but definitly not least continuity maxed.

As you can see this is more with traditional build, with no corrupted mods.

What I run: Gorgon wraith (for corpus with viral, gas for infested) or Boltor prime (puncture/corrosive)

Aklex (crit/puncture/corrosive/multishot) or Gremlins (blast/toxic)

Melee is nothing fixed (still haven't mastered ankyros prime, orthos prime,glavie prime, fang prime, machete wraith, gram and working on that hehe) but mostly Kogake, ichors or kamas for serious stuff.

Edited by ArcLightCRO

He's not, but he's not the best. He's in a reasonable area, but if you're looking to use him as a power based alternative to gunplay, DON'T. Especially vs the Grineer. (Alloy armour gives a 50% damage reduction to electric damage, far too high IMO, should only be 25%) He'll augment your weapons, but his powers aren't nearly strong enough or grant sufficient utility to do the damage required to use them instead.

Shock is cheap and spammable, a great power and does a decent amount for damage to multiple targets, along with AoE and a 100% electric proc chance for CC stun. Personally I'd say it's up there with the best 1st powers like Ember's Fireball and Nyx' Mind control.

Speed, eh I'm not sure on this one, it's certainly nice when increasing speed and melee attack speed.

Electric shield.

Yes it's static, but I think that's fine. You'll hear complaints on how it isn't mobile and doesn't fit with Volt's supposed fluid playstyle. I think getting to hide behind an invulnerable shield which adds 50% electric damage and removes projectile travel time is a good thing, considering Volt will go down faster than you can blink once his shields go down. (He only has 15 armour, he's got high shields, but Electric shield is very useful when you're caught unprepared with low shields) It also serves very well in Defence and Mobile Defence missions. 

Overload. 

Weakest Ult. in the game does 900 damage with the energy pulses, the real damage comes from the arcs of electricity from overloaded lights and electronics, and that only happens once in each area, those can be up to 250 each I believe, now if you can set off 5 or 6, then yep he'll cause a really nice amount of damage, as each one functions in the same way as shock.

It's a power which can potentially do a lot of damage, but you are really going to suffer from diminishing returns after a single use, and it's absolute rubbish vs Grineer and on Defence and MD missions, don't bother. It's not worth the 100 energy price tag, better to spam shock. You'll get the same CC AoE stun mechanic and it's cheaper. 

Currently it's a useful AoE stun. That's it, if you're expecting World on fire lvls of damage etc, you'll be disappointed. It's far to situational and dependent on the environment.

Generally, Volt's decent, just don't expect anything great from him, he's mediocre.

So what you're saying is that Volt's mediocre because his press-4-to-win skill isn't as good as other frames'.  Never mind that it has an excellent stun and is situationally very powerful.  Volt isn't weak, Grineer armor is too limiting.  Overload's damage is fantastic vs unarmored enemies.  You need to keep in mind that in addition to the 900 damage there is an additional pulse of damage that diminishes with range and also the electric procs (which basically cast his 1 on each enemy in the area!)  If you use the skill close up chain the procs among enemies the skill's base damage is something like 1150-1500, which is fine damage without a single power strength mod.  The damage is strong vs Corpus and Infested and possibly decent vs high level Grineer while the CC is good vs all factions.  So why is Volt mediocre again?

Edited by RealPandemonium

Overload. 

Speed is one of the best utility powers in the game.  It'll speed up the completion time of a bunch of mission types by quite a bit, and also helps to keep a team together... the rushers tend not to leave others in the dust as much.  Does take people a bit of time adjusting to the faster speed and camera angle shift though.

On Overload, it isn't the weakest Ultimate, thanks to the electric proc/AoE aspect.  Unless mobs are all standing far apart, that proc will push its damage up decent levels, higher than Mag, Banshee, and for the situations where you'd use Overload, Ember, as WoF is the worst ultimate in those situations, though good in others, but not as high as Frost, Nova, or Saryn (especially Saryn with FE).  Agree though that, since Shock hits multiple targets and is worth using, you wind up using it a lot of the time you'd reach for the ultimate on another frame.  Which is how things should be, in my opinion.

So what you're saying is that Volt's mediocre because his press-4-to-win skill isn't as good as other frames'.  Never mind that it has an excellent stun and is situationally very powerful.  Volt isn't weak, Grineer armor is too limiting.  Overload's damage is fantastic vs unarmored enemies.  You need to keep in mind that in addition to the 900 damage there is an additional pulse of damage that diminishes with range and also the electric procs (which basically cast his 1 on each enemy in the area!)  If you use the skill close up chain the procs among enemies the skill's base damage is something like 1150-1500, which is fine damage without a single power strength mod.  The damage is strong vs Corpus and Infested and possibly decent vs high level Grineer while the CC is good vs all factions.  

Bravo *slow clap*

What I am saying is that Volt's Overload power is situational and dependent on environmental factors too much. Play on Corpus tile sets, it's great, until you have to use it more than once, play on the Grineer or Derelict tiles, not so much, pile on top of that the -50% damage from alloy armour, which is daft, and it's towards the bottom of the pile. 

That original energy pulse is limited to the initial area around Volt, that has 100% Proc chance and stuns, which is as I said good for AoE Stun. The subsequent 3 pulses which is roughly 300 damage, with the focus mod included. So yes it does have mods. You will only get a total of 1200 if you stack a focus mod with Overload, and 300 of that damage is only effective in the limited area round Volt and drops off it's purpose is to set of the electrical arcs from the environment. And the enemies which are proc'd receive 50% damage, but at a diminished capacity based on the range of the pulse which diminishes the further away it gets from Volt. 

So you actually have the 900 based on 3 pulses, plus whatever damage is earned from the original pulse based on enemy range, this fluctuates wildly. 

Then you have the electric arcs which function as shock would, set off by the initial pulse. The problem is here that initially they provide high damage, but then it's pointless as all the electrics have been fried and it's situational. An open plan defence mission? Not going to get the additional damage there. 

Hence you're left with your original AoE stun which is minimal given the decreasing DPS at range and subsequent 50% drop to other enemies when hit in the AoE. Then you have the 3 pulses which generate the 900 and AoE Stun over 4 seconds. Given that the AoE on procc'd enemies will also only have a limited area that 50% damage is applied to. I also believe that the targets can't be hit by a chain damage more than once ie: overlapping AoE secondary damage will not affect an enemy twice, although from a second pulse/ shock it will.

So, Overload isn't actually that great, it's a nice AoE stun, but for 100 energy, don't bother Shock is better. 

Now, if you rolled in the Electric arcs that come from the environment to be generated by Volt himself it removes the diminishing return on the energy you use on overload after one use, and shift it from being locked into what environment you're playing in and whether you've overloaded that room before. Then you really have a very good power which keeps AoE stun and proc chance without being stuck with relying on how many lights you overload in a given corridor. It doesn't need a damage buff, the situational unreliability of the power is what needs addressing. 

(Also Speed, why is Volt so slow? I'm not dropping 50 energy every time I want to catch up with team mates, he's got 15 armour for heaven sake, same with Ember. Maybe this is a hang over from Overheat's ridiculous potential 90% DR)

Edited by (PS4)billy-d-squid

(Also Speed, why is Volt so slow? I'm not dropping 50 energy every time I want to catch up with team mates, he's got 15 armour for heaven sake, same with Ember. Maybe this is a hang over from Overheat's ridiculous potential 90% DR)

Probably because he has Speed as an ability.

I wouldn't mind seeing Speed get a duration buff or an energy reduction though.

Shock is only good against robots... and not really so strong you'd maybe expect, so better use it for stunning.

Shock scales with Power/Range

Speed scales with Power/Duration

Electric Shield scales with Duration only.

Overload... Power/Range/Duration

So it's kinda like Excalibur. If you want to get the most out of every skill, you have to mod for every aspect which makes it difficult.

Take Loki for example... just doesn't need any strength whatsoever (except Chargers and Tenno(PvP)) so Narrow Minded and Overextended become your friends and thus leaving a lot space open for other things.

Nova... If you don't like Antimatter Drop... just leave duration aside. Even the Wormhole holds long enough with reduced Duration. So just equip Fleeting expertise and have fun spamming 4.

What would Volt be without his complete skillset? Speed/Shield without Duration sucks... Volt without Speed/Shield sucks. His damage skills suck without proper Strength and Range and that forces you to build averange builds.

I think that's his real weakness. Maybe not for 80% of the game, but if you have guns for the last 20% and beyond, that's an issue.

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

What would Volt be without his complete skillset? Speed/Shield without Duration sucks... Volt without Speed/Shield sucks. His damage skills suck without proper Strength and Range and that forces you to build averange builds.

I think that's his real weakness. Maybe not for 80% of the game, but if you have guns for the last 20% and beyond, that's an issue.

A Volt with fleeting expertise is perfectly viable. You will in this case use your 2 and 3 at key moments, when it's better to use them.

I run my Volt with 75% efficiency and Constitution (I have mods points for this and it only have 2% less duration than continuity. It's not that expensive for the little +40% knockback recovery thingy) and the Pulse Helmet. My shield last around 20 seconds and Speed last around 7.8 seconds : it's totally fine as it is. If my shield or my speed expire I just use it a second time, it's not a problem.

A Volt with fleeting expertise is perfectly viable. You will in this case use your 2 and 3 at key moments, when it's better to use them.

I run my Volt with 75% efficiency and Constitution (I have mods points for this and it only have 2% less duration than continuity. It's not that expensive for the little +40% knockback recovery thingy) and the Pulse Helmet. My shield last around 20 seconds and Speed last around 7.8 seconds : it's totally fine as it is. If my shield or my speed expire I just use it a second time, it's not a problem.

This.  It's also worth noting that you can forgo some damage from Blind Range and shave your Fleeting Expertise down to 40% and run and keep streamline at max.  This allows you to get +18%  duration overall with Continuity and Constitution equipped while having 70% efficiency.  I feel that people aren't aware that you can mix corrupted mods of varying levels to customize your ability mechanics.  

Not to mention that if you do focus on Power Strength (in addition to Efficiency), you get a faster Speed.  When other Volt's speed, I always feel so slow ;)

Speed without Duration is just fine.  Especially when it only costs 25% of its base cost.  If you use either Constitution or Continuity to offset some of the -60% duration from FE, you're almost as efficient in terms of energy to time as you are with a maxed duration build (one that uses the Corrupt mod as well as Constitution, Continuity, and the helm).  You do have to use it a bit more often, of course, but oh well.

Shield you're typically fine without.  Stunned stuff doesn't damage you.  Dead stuff doesn't damage you.  It is nice for situations where you're defending an objective, but other than that, purely optional.  And even when defending, not really needed until the levels get up there.  And again, with an R5 FE and Constitution or Continuity, you're still looking at a duration of 17s for the shield, which isn't bad at all.

I'd also say it isn't a weakness, but rather that any frame that doesn't care about all four stats and all four powers is the one that needs adjusting.  Players should have a compelling reason to use each of a frame's four powers, and they should have to pay a price when using corrupt mods.  That's the whole point to the negative side.  Or, in other words, Volt doesn't have an issue.  Other frames do, thanks to having powers not worth using and others that are too compelling to use.  So yeah, Volt doesn't have an issue.  He instead has options, with more than one way to build/play him.  He is how frames should be.

Edited by Axterix13

Please post your build. Really, I'm interested, because I'm struggling with my mindset right now.

Sure.

Fleeting expertize : 50% efficiency.

Streamline : 25% efficiency.

Redirection : Maxed.

Vigor : Maxed.

Constitution : Maxed.

-> Can be replaced with Continuity if you want to save a forma and some mod points.

Stretch : Maxed.

-> Can be replaced with anything else if you feel like you don't need power range.

I use all Volt's skills too (maxed).

Edited by Einde

Thanks for posting, but I'm really missing power strength.

I tried using this:

Fleeting Expertise (max)

Blind Rage (7pt)

Narrow Minded (8pt)

Stretch (max)

Flow/Streamline (max)

Redirection (max)

+ all skills and Energy Syphon.

Only downside is not much Health and below averange Range. However that shouldn't be that much of a problem. Problem are the bleed procs, if you get them.

However, I've got another problem...

gUTjZyO.jpg

Back then I used Narrow Minded, Vigor, Redirection and Vitality... Synapse did the damage.

Well, today, that's not so much how it works anymore... xD

In case you are wondering... I didn't even use Shock and Overload. It was all like Speed, placing shield, red crits, speed and so on. So with so much point, I could use other things on two ability slots... I left them in case Volt would get changed... and yeah. Times changed... Volt not so much xD

Edited by SIDESTRE4M

I wouldn't mind seeing Speed get a duration buff or an energy reduction though.

It costs 25

Not to mention that if you do focus on Power Strength (in addition to Efficiency), you get a faster Speed.  When other Volt's speed, I always feel so slow ;)

I feel you :(

That's why storm helmet+intensify give it a really nice boost while constitution and continuity make it last almost 17 sec.

Edited by ArcLightCRO

In case you are wondering... I didn't even use Shock and Overload. It was all like Speed, placing shield, red crits, speed and so on. So with so much point, I could use other things on two ability slots... I left them in case Volt would get changed... and yeah. Times changed... Volt not so much xD

Usually for me, an ability slot is the first thing I replace (well, that or it is second, after the aura).  The reason why is the first abilities for frames.  Those have a drain of three at max rank, which means Polarity saves you all of one point, and the cost of dropping it into a slot with another polarity?  1 point.  So at most, putting it somewhere else costs me 2 points should I want to slot four powers.  Since anything else I use is going to cost four or more anyway, and eight or more if I bother to polarize the slot, it's a no brainer to replace one of those, unless it is a frame where i know I'm going to run all four powers a good chunk of the time, anyway.  I really, really wish frames started out with only three = slots, instead of four.

Anyway, my current build is:

R5 FE, R5 Streamline, R5 Intensify, R3 Constitution, R2 Blind Rage, and then couple that with Redirection and Vitality.  That leaves me room for three powers, which are usually Shock, Speed, and Overload.  Sometimes, Overload or Speed get swapped out for Shield; other times Overload goes for Continuity.  And then I use the Storm Helmet on top of that.  Under normal circumstances, that gives me -32% duration, 75% efficiency, 67% power, and normal range (which suits me fine).  And when Continuity comes in, then the duration goes up to -2%.

For Aura, I use Rejuv, since I don't really have energy issues, and energy is so much more plentiful than health.  There's usually at least one person running Siphon, and there's alternate ways to refill energy if needed.  I find it handy to have a Rejuv on the team, as it takes care of things like those bleeds and the damage people take when their shields drop for a bit.  Those things add up over time, but Rejuv takes care of it.  If only it worked on Sentinels (like it really should!).

Two formas used.  One on the aura slot and the other changed an = to a D.

Edited by Axterix13

The only complaint I have about Volt is the consistency of damage on Overload, in the right place it will lay waste to everything in the room/stun everything for like 30 seconds, while others is does is standard 900 shock damage and stuns for 3 seconds.

I'd much rather it do something more in the middle all the time rather than be awesome one time and than be more worth it to cast shock twice to do the same thing.

Shock is awesome its consistent in what it does, ok damage on anything not armored, and always stuns. Speed does what it says, and shield is good for become a turret for a bit.