The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Katana In The "warframe - The Sword Alone" Video

Seij

Is everyone posting here except me playing Warframe while reading?

... And if you are, have you noticed Grate Prime yet?

Yes!

Also ....com/GrineerSystems is updated again. 

Although I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the new melee-focused enemy type.

Edited by RawGritz

On a semi-related note, will we be able to use the scabbard itself in combat? I've always rather enjoyed that style, would be a shame if we don't.

... Maybe as a defensive tool? Even owning blunt replicas is illegal here without a bleeding $50 license per item afaik, so I'm relying on what someone said regarding the scabbard being made of rather fragile material.

... Heck, I had a hypothetical discussion about using a katana's scabbard for an ukenagashi as opposed to a hard block last week.

Ninja use Katana Leonardo from TMNT DUh and is it possible to have them equipted either way?

I hope they but this as an option for players with different opinions

You... Are not entirely incorrect, but being polite would be nice.

Also, I have some very long videos from people I subscribed to on Youtube who can tell you why having a longsword on your back is stupid in combat sits.

Lindybeige's video lecture: 

And... Now I can't be bothered to find the rest.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Also, I have some very long videos from people I subscribed to on Youtube who can tell you why having a longsword on your back is stupid in combat sits.

Every single sword teacher I have asked about using the saya to block with in regular techniques has replied the same way. 'Only in anime'. It is a LAST resort.

ONE ninjitsu instructor said that there were tales of specially reinforced saya for ninja style swords (NOT katana, carrying one was an automatic death sentence if caught) that could be used for multiple purposes, (blowguns, ladder rungs, blackjacks, etc.) but then he said that if you tried to block a katana strike with it, you would be left holding a VERY short hollow tube. Not all that useful.

As for having the sword on the back? Out of the way while moving quietly. Not that great to roll on. (Tried it once. OUCH)

Edited by Kalenath

Lindybeige's video lecture: 

And... Now I can't be bothered to find the rest.

I wasnt trying to be rude the way i said duh in my head sounded silly in a funny way buh im just saying a katana for a ninja is usually depicted with a sword on their backs buh regardless i hope they can intergrate both sheithing stlyes into the sword as 2 different options

Every single sword teacher I have asked about using the saya to block with in regular techniques has replied the same way. 'Only in anime'. It is a LAST resort.

ONE ninjitsu instructor said that there were tales of specially reinforced saya for ninja style swords that could be used for multiple purposes, (blowguns, ladder rungs, blackjacks, etc.) but then he said that if you tried to block a katana strike with it, you would be left holding a VERY short hollow tube. Not all that useful.

As for having the sword on the back? Out of the way while moving quietly. Not that great to roll on. (Tried it once. OUCH)

Yeah buh no ones else complained about any other weapon on their back while rolling, you guys are forgeting that there are other weapons that are wielded on our backs and besides i basically said i dont care i just would like it if there was a way to have to different options for people who want different ways

On a semi-related note, will we be able to use the scabbard itself in combat? I've always rather enjoyed that style, would be a shame if we don't.

If we take away comparison with real life scabbards which aren't the best tool to use for defense and combat, then yeah. Tenno scabbard can be made of super Oxium or something so that they are both light and resistant, and can be used to block or attack targets. I can imagine some timed combo where the Tenno would take their scabbard to do a few hits, but only for one type of stance.

ONE ninjitsu instructor said that there were tales of specially reinforced saya for ninja style swords that could be used for multiple purposes, (blowguns, ladder rungs, blackjacks, etc.) but then he said that if you tried to block a katana strike with it, you would be left holding a VERY short hollow tube. Not all that useful.

Yes, my teacher made the exact same point about blocking with the sheath. //StartJoke I do bother to learn about what I'm interested about and have the extremely damaged liver to prove it!//EndJoke. Sparring with a guy who knows how to use a claymore is rather suicidal even with padded simulators and helmets. It was a discussion about using a soft block as opposed to a hard one, by the way.

And rolling with anything on your back kind of hurts. Busted one of my laptops trying to survive getting my shoe eaten by an escalator.

Yes, my teacher made the exact same point about blocking with the sheath. //StartJoke I do bother to learn about what I'm interested about and have the extremely damaged liver to prove it!//EndJoke. Sparring with a guy who knows how to use a claymore is rather suicidal even with padded simulators and helmets. It was a discussion about using a soft block as opposed to a hard one, by the way.

And rolling with anything on your back kind of hurts. Busted one of my laptops trying to survive getting my shoe eaten by an escalator.

Try fighting a guy with an axe and shield with a sword sometime if he knows what he is doing with it. Talk about OUCH! Good point about hard versus soft blocks. But still, one solid cut and you have half a saya... Hard to parry with 4 inches of wood... POSSIBLE, mind you, I have seen it done. But HARD.

Didn't think you were one of the people who play anime style games and figure they are 9th dan masters of Kenjutsu. If I implied that I did not mean to.

That said, since this is far future, I guess the saya would be made of super hard dense metal. Gallium maybe? (snicker)

Edited by Kalenath

Yeah buh no ones else complained about any other weapon on their back while rolling, you guys are forgeting that there are other weapons that are wielded on our backs and besides i basically said i dont care i just would like it if there was a way to have to different options for people who want different ways

To have a point in your favour, the Tenno ARE wearing armour that is theoretically capable of stopping Grineer Lancer rifle bullets.

If we take away comparison with real life scabbards which aren't the best tool to use for defense and combat, then yeah. Tenno scabbard can be made of super Oxium or something so that they are both light and resistant, and can be used to block or attack targets. I can imagine some timed combo where the Tenno would take their scabbard to do a few hits, but only for one type of stance.

Make them sheaths out of rubidium like those Prime weapons. That would be funny. Especially if thought of in realistic chemistry theory.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Try fighting a guy with an axe and shield with a sword sometime. Talk about OUCH! Good point about hard versus soft blocks. But still, one solid cut and you have half a saya.

Didn't think you were one of the people who play anime style games and figure they are 9th dan masters of Kenjutsu.

Ever fought a guy who stops you by half-swording a claymore, twisting your sword out of your grip and then hitting you with the hilt in the liver? Been hurting since 1st March.

Also, classic Shinkage-Ryu, 6th kyu. I swear my teacher makes up the ranks as he goes along, though. He pretty much asked me how the grading system for aikido went. His skills are real, though. My jaw hurt for a week after he did kiri-age on me with a padded sim.  Have to go shuttle run-style 2.5km while doing maedzuki, kesa-giri, gyaku-kesa, etc. in under an hour for the next rank up.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Make them sheaths out of rubidium like those Prime weapons. That would be funny. Especially if thought of in realistic chemistry theory.

"Reinforced Rubidium," only half as soft/reactive as regular rubidium!

Edited by Casardis

Ever fought a guy who stops you by half-swording a claymore, twisting your sword out of your grip and then hitting you with the hilt in the liver? Been hurting since 1st March.

Also, classic Shinkage-Ryu, 6th kyu. I swear my teacher makes up the ranks as he goes along, though. He pretty much asked me how the grading system for aikido went. His skills are real, though. My jaw hurt for a week after he did kiri-age on me with a padded sim.  Have to go shuttle run-style 2.5km while doing maedzuki, kesa-giri, gyaku-kesa, etc. in under an hour for the next rank up.

Yes, I have. *Shudder* Took me COMPLETELY by surprise and laid me out good. Was a Danish axe though. Wood is NOT softer than metal when swung by a guy who is 6' 4" and weighs 260 lbs, most of it muscle. And I am NEVER going to fight him when he has a halberd. *shivers* NEVER!

*scared laugh* That sounds like MY first sword teacher. His name isn't Williams, is it? He is likely gone by now, was 30 years ago, but still... One SERIOUSLY scary old man.

Edited by Kalenath

"Reinforced Rubidium," only half as soft/reactive as regular rubidium!

They better make a big explosion every time Frost stands next to Ember or I want my credits back!

Completely off topic, but it would be kind of fun to see the Prime rubidium melee weapons having Blast added. Cut something and explode at the same time!

Yes, I have. *Shudder* Took me COMPLETELY by surprise and laid me out good. Was a Danish axe though. Wood is NOT softer than metal when swung by a guy who is 6' 4" and weighs 260 lbs, most of it muscle. And I am NEVER going to fight him when he has a halberd. *shivers* NEVER!

*scared laugh* That sounds like MY first sword teacher. His name isn't Williams, is it? He is likely gone by now, was 30 years ago, but still... One SERIOUSLY scary old man.

I always inch backwards while yelling "I'M NOT RETREATING! I'M ADVANCING BACKWARDS!!!" when facing anyone above my caliber. Doesn't help that the guys in the group I go to can cover ten metres in a few seconds from a dead stop.

Considering I'm prolly half the planet away since it's 1AM here, definitely not a guy named Williams. My teacher's only about ten or so years older than I am. Says he went straight to Japan about twelve years ago to learn from a master and didn't come back till he hit the highest he could advance. Which took ten years. We're all also a lot shorter than 6'4", but that doesn't stop claymore guy from packing some serious power.

Edited by Sadwyrm

I always inch backwards while yelling "I'M NOT RETREATING! I'M ADVANCING BACKWARDS!!!" when facing anyone above my caliber. Doesn't help that the guys in the group I go to can cover ten metres in a few seconds from a dead stop.

Considering I'm prolly half the planet away since it's 1AM here, definitely not a guy named Williams. My teacher's only about ten or so years older than I am  Says he went straight to Japan about twelve years ago to learn from Kuroda Tetsuzan and didn't come back till he hit the highest he could advance. Which took ten years. We're all also a lot shorter than 6'4", but that doesn't stop claymore guy from packing some serious power.

Well, when you swing a weapon that is 6 FEET long... yes... If I face them? I am getting my crossbow! lol

Size may not matter but REACH does...

(edit- why do you think I like the Glaive and Kestrel in game?)

Edited by Kalenath

Well, when you swing a weapon that is 6 FEET long... yes... If I face them? I am getting my crossbow! lol

Size may not matter but REACH does...

(edit- why do you think I like the Glaive and Kestrel in game?)

Kestrel... Lovely weapon, that. I can't aim worth anything so I can't use it, though. Reach is a wonderful and terrifying thing, no?

On a side note, I have a friend who loves swinging halberds. Lives in Illinois, iirc.

EDIT: We have completely derailed this thread. Prolly a bad idea to do that too much.

Edited by Sadwyrm

All i wanna add to this thread is. Please DE Katana is highly requested and highly anticipated Weapon, So Please don't **** it up

Edit: Oh and Nunchaku Next Please

This game Clearly deserves (Ak)Nunchaku...(and Aksai )

Edited by unknow99