Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Dev Jobs Are Like?

PhantasmalWraith

Imagine stress. Just stress. Imagine a lot of stress and dealing with it daily. Now imagine having the time of your life. Sheer unadulterated fun. Now mix the two together. Now you know what a Dev job is like.

Don't forget the droves of players who think they can do your job better than you and spew vitriol and hate at every little thing you do.

Don't forget the droves of players who think they can do your job better than you and spew vitriol and hate at every little thing you do.

For some things, like adjusting numbers (say, on mods and weapons) a good number of people probably are.  Sure shot is still the #2 most worthless mod.  #1 goes to intruder, but a number tweak won't fix this.

I have watched a few. I'm interested in actually having a career like theirs sorta and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak and also how you become one.

#1 advice I hear from developers towards students wanting to get into making games is "make games."   Simple degrees are kind of an after thought to actual experience.  No one really gives a $#!% about an expensive piece of paper, it just says you know how to do stuff, supposedly.  Experience still trumps this.

They don't have to be AAA titles.  Starbound, Minecraft, Braid... indie games will always be a great place to start and can be done with a considerably smaller, low budget team and a hell of a lot of passion.

While I'd like to make a game or games (two: a turn based strategy and a third person competitive shooter,) I want to be in charge of what goes into it and what happens with it because I like to believe I won't make stupid, non-sensible decisions that will in fact be fairly popular.  I knew this was never going to happen if I was so competent, so that career path was out.
Edited by Littleman88

I have watched a few. I'm interested in actually having a career like theirs sorta and was wondering if anyone knew of a way to hear it from the horse's mouth so to speak and also how you become one.

Becoming one is fairly straight forward. Apply your trade and apply for a job, hope you get noticed. However, if you want that extra step, there is one thing you can do. Mod.

Mod, as in making mods for games. It counts as development, and it shows you have experience working on and improving a product. Just look at the guy that made the Falskaar mod for Skyrim. He got a job at Bungie, the guys that made Halo.

Basically, get as much experience as you can, and never stop improving upon what you do. Ever. EVER.

Becoming one is fairly straight forward. Apply your trade and apply for a job, hope you get noticed. However, if you want that extra step, there is one thing you can do. Mod.

Mod, as in making mods for games. It counts as development, and it shows you have experience working on and improving a product. Just look at the guy that made the Falskaar mod for Skyrim. He got a job at Bungie, the guys that made Halo.

Basically, get as much experience as you can, and never stop improving upon what you do. Ever. EVER.

Did'nt think of that but sounds good :-) Do a lot of them get skills solo or actually go to college for that stuff?

There are many good hints and tip shere already and to be found on the web, e.g.: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/164910/sponsored_feature_breaking_into_.php?print=1

Being a game dev is not rocket science or dark, secret unicorn involving magicx. You have to have iron will and resolution and an unwavering will to get S#&$ done, then you'll do fine. Start out "low" (I hate saying this as my brethern and sisteren in QA do a damn fine job but it's commonly referred to as popular entry position) with QA jobs and work your way up. Get into modding, teach yourself programming, etc.

Imagine stress. Just stress. Imagine a lot of stress and dealing with it daily. Now imagine having the time of your life. Sheer unadulterated fun. Now mix the two together. Now you know what a Dev job is like.

This is also very on the mark. ;)

To be fair, I'd have never banned users for spamming (for 3 days on the day of a major update) without a solid server wide warning. A sudden change in rule reinforcement like that was unethical since that kind of behavior (spamming) had been tolerated and expected as part of the hype of every major update. That was cruel and unfair, even if the spammers were being stupid and deserved it. Edited by Sirabot

There are many good hints and tip shere already and to be found on the web, e.g.: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/164910/sponsored_feature_breaking_into_.php?print=1

Being a game dev is not rocket science or dark, secret unicorn involving magicx. You have to have iron will and resolution and an unwavering will to get S#&$ done, then you'll do fine. Start out "low" (I hate saying this as my brethern and sisteren in QA do a damn fine job but it's commonly referred to as popular entry position) with QA jobs and work your way up. Get into modding, teach yourself programming, etc.

the fish knows all!!

I used to be a game layout developer as a hobby... But due to my problems with getting things done within a weeks time, 90% of my layouts are incomplete... But they're very close to finished.

It's really fun to develop layouts and various statistics for games, balancing things, all the math stuff for me... As well as descriptive topics, writing stories, lore, and so on... But it can really be tense if your job is on the line getting it done. I cannot complete anything without help, so that's kinda why I never really finished my stuff.

I used to be a GM for an MMO, I know it can be stressful, and players don't respect you. The same goes for developers. They work hard, and get very little praise for their hard work except from their peers.

Thank you Dev Team, for all you've done, even if mistakes are made, it leaves room for more improvement and development! :)

There are many good hints and tip shere already and to be found on the web, e.g.: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/164910/sponsored_feature_breaking_into_.php?print=1

Being a game dev is not rocket science or dark, secret unicorn involving magicx. You have to have iron will and resolution and an unwavering will to get S#&$ done, then you'll do fine. Start out "low" (I hate saying this as my brethern and sisteren in QA do a damn fine job but it's commonly referred to as popular entry position) with QA jobs and work your way up. Get into modding, teach yourself programming, etc.

But what if I made some nice mods in high school, then studied programming for 7 years, have a university degree in computer science and have a will to get ship done, but can't find a work because every company out there requires official working experience, and to get this experience I need to get a job and to get a job I need official working experience and to get this experience I need to get a job and to get a job I need official working experience and to get this experience I need to get a job and to get a job I need official working experience and to get this experience I need to get a job and to get a job I need official working experience and to get this experience I need to get a job and to get a job I need official working experience?

What do I do?

Edited by SonicSonedit