Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Melee 2.0 Viable On Higher Level Enemies?

It works fine up until the level 40 enemies hit and I have no problems with that.

Mods should get buffed but not weapons. After lvl30 you start to struggle against everyone if you dont have blessing. Also couple of weapons should get buffed like galatine and channelling to be improved in terms of it effect. I noticed that i do less damage when channel sometimes.

Though if you guys really wanted this to go into insane enemy levels, then I don't believe mods are the only thing that should be changed. The hit counter, which dissapears to fast, takes to many hits to scale, needs to be changed as well.

Edited by Darkmoone1

As enemy levels increase, Full AoE CC abilities work much better to protect you than blocking will. 
Which is where the big disparity between guns and melee comes in.
Melee reduces your caster power, requiring all the melee and stamina mods tied to your warframe to be the most effective it can be to be viable in higher levels. Guns require nothing of your warframe. 
Blocking only protects you from the front, drains stamina faster than abilities do energy, and you're still vulnerable while you're attacking enemies. 
AoE CC abilities protect you even while attacking with your guns, drain slower, and cover a more complete area.

It has the potential to be viable at least, but guns+powers will be better.

The game should not be balanced to level 100 enemies.  A nightmare alert on Pluto caps out at around level 60.  To get to level 100, you need to spend more than an hour doing a T3 survival.  I've played this game a lot, and the highest level I've seen is mid 70s.

Guns don't work at that level either, even multiple formaed Brakks and Somas.  The only thing that's going to kill stuff over level 80 is top-tier warframe powers.

Guest Shibboleet

The game should not be balanced to level 100 enemies.  A nightmare alert on Pluto caps out at around level 60.  To get to level 100, you need to spend more than an hour doing a T3 survival.  I've played this game a lot, and the highest level I've seen is mid 70s.

Guns don't work at that level either, even multiple formaed Brakks and Somas.  The only thing that's going to kill stuff over level 80 is top-tier warframe powers.

Guns work well into level 1000. There is falloff, but they aren't completely useless until lvl 2-3kish.

But it is only applicable to 3 frames. 

Loki/Ash/Excalibur.

All which rely on their crutch skills like Invisibility / Smoke screen / Radial Blind to get that 400% melee damage boost.

Outside of these situation, guns are innately superior.

you can also do a combo with loki; radial disarm, clone,and then invisible. That will get you the best chance to destroy enemies with melee.

Is it possible ? yes

Is it viable ? No

I went into some higher survival with a melee focused Volt and Valkyr, didnt do to bad sadly its clearly could have done so much more with any other gun with a charge.

The only thing melee has talking for it is that it costs no ammo. All melee weapons could still use a flat 40% bonus on damage.

You needed an Excalibur focused on maxed range + duration blind, unless you were playing said Excal.  Blind increases DPS from melee but it also acts as perhaps the best CC in the game.  Played well, the Excal and Valkyr alone can easily push through level 70 enemies.  I didn't test to see how high it could be taken.

I did 35+ min (lvl 45-50 enemies)  solo T3 survival with only Ichors and Necros

and hek, I would do 40 if I could kill the freaking drones, you end up with 10 drones that you cant kill and nothing else spawns so you are out of  life support no matter what

Edited by Monolake

The way I see it, against one enemy it's great since you can pretty much stunlock them and the damage multiplier will allow you pick up "momentum" as it were. You may have to some hacking for a bit, but sure, you could probably carve through a level 400 heavy safely (eventually).

It's just his friends that are an issue...

Edited by Paradoxbomb

When you're facing 3 digits level enemies with melee, you shouldn't ask "Can I do enough damage?", you shoukd ask "Can I survive long enough to deal damage?" instead. You can use melee at such high levels, but you HAVE to use (or have in team) Loki/Ash/Excalibur/Trinity/Rhino and maybe Valkyr.

I can deal with level 70+ infested just fine with my Dragon Nikana and to be fair, I wasn't even relying on Invisibility. Getting 2x combo multiplier was just enough to kill them with adequate speed.

Long story short: lvl 200/300/[random ridiculous number] aren't balanced since they can kill you in several seconds. People are bypassing it by abusing Blessing or any other hard crowd control ability. People are also abusing Roar, Molecular Prime, Sonar etc to deal enough damage against such high leveled enemies. Even if you have weapon with 15k+ dps, it'll take a lot of time and ammo to deal with heavy gunners, who have like close to one million health...so yeah.

P.S. I'm not trying to say that people who can do super high level survivals/defences are abusers. You, guys, have much more dedication than I do and I actually commend you for that.
P.P.S. I'd still advice to use guns against such high level enemies. So at least it's easier to revive downed teammates.

Edited by Re6ellion

if you were to forma rhino making absorber with knockdown resist with armour upgrade and the additional health, shield mods to get potencial with most tanky with fire resistant against grineer this 4 - 5 slots will make you prowess against the grineer. so are there for with the rush mod or stamina for melee it will give good outcome til tanking to 50 level grineer with a possibility maybe farther. and rhino skin for just the standard...

If I were to go up against 100+ level enemies would melee 2.0 still be viable or does it have short comings and does blocking or reflection mod make a difference in damage taken in endgame situations? Sword alone is my plan when we get u13

No.

As enemy levels increase, Full AoE CC abilities work much better to protect you than blocking will. 

Which is where the big disparity between guns and melee comes in.

Melee reduces your caster power, requiring all the melee and stamina mods tied to your warframe to be the most effective it can be to be viable in higher levels. Guns require nothing of your warframe. 

Blocking only protects you from the front, drains stamina faster than abilities do energy, and you're still vulnerable while you're attacking enemies. 

AoE CC abilities protect you even while attacking with your guns, drain slower, and cover a more complete area.

It has the potential to be viable at least, but guns+powers will be better.

I feel like this really nails the situation on the head. Melee requiring Stamina plus Energy seems silly. It'd be ridiculous to make guns require Stamina or Energy (though interesting in some rare exceptions). Abilities and Guns synergize really well, why not Abilities and Melee?

I think standard melee damage should be increased. Hell, keep the combo system right where it is. Make the Channeling button bring up special moves that then require Energy (and might only do more damage depending on the attack). Seems inefficient to use Energy just to do more damage with a Sword when you could... just do more damage by equipping your gun, while saving your Energy for Abilities - especially ones that debilitate. Implement something like once Channeling:

Down+Attack to get a large horizontal swipe that staggers enemies in front of you

Forward+Attack to launch an energy wave toward a single target to ragdoll them toward you (or perhaps just a DMC Stinger/maybe just a teleport toward the enemy),

Left/Right+Attack to Auto-Proc a status effect.

All of those could cost energy.  Keep Special Moves varied enough, and suddenly you have another reason outside of 'What weapon does the most damage' to buy new weapons. Guns for raw, safe damage. Melee for crowd control and utility that's worth the risk of getting in so close.

Then there's Melee mods like Reflection and Parry. Reflection takes up a very valuable spot on your Warframe mod list, and reflects very little damage back, while draining your Stamina like crazy at higher levels. Parry provides no real incentive for using it, as doing 'Stealth Attacks' still aren't instant finishers - despite the over-the-top, dramatic throat slices and sword plunges. That stuff not OHKOing an enemy just looks bad. Someone is awfully scared of Melee being too useful, but I'd rather them err on that side, then slowly tweak and pull things back. Right now, the main incentive for running around with a sword is just the novelty of doing so in a game of this ilk.

In general I really like where Melee 2.0 has gone and I think its a step in the right direction... especially in that its helping this game to feel a little bit more interesting for me after playing it for as long as I have. I still have a lot of love for this game! I just hope they keep adjusting and tweaking this foundation without making us wait many more months in the process. Melee weapons and acrobatics are a huge selling point for this game in a sea of over-the-shoulder shooters.

Melee weapons now do enough damage that the weapons themselves are able to stand up to high level foes.

The issue at that point is surviving long enough to close the distance between you and the target, which is unlikely unless you have a Trinity or play a invis frame.