Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Private Should Mean Private!

Furyoushounen

Why isn't a private match... private?

Here is a scenario that happened earlier tonight... My friend (who is VERY new to the game) and I were playing earlier tonight and I was on steam voice chat (because the game voice chat is horrid and rarely works) with him explaining the game, showing him some tips and helping him do a mission in a private game where he wouldn't need to rush to keep up, etc. We are about 2 minutes in and a guy from my list comes in, starts killing everything super fast and bolts for the mission end. Meanwhile, I am trying to message him to explain that we aren't speedrunning and we didn't need the assistance but the chat is down and the voice chat isn't working as usual so I can't even express this. I felt ridiculous trying to explain to him that our "private" game was open to anyone on either of our friends lists even if they were NOT invited to the game.

Sometimes you want to take your time on a mission, perhaps you want to try a stealth run or maybe you just want to play with a specific group of friends and this "feature" makes that impossible for people to control who actually have a substantial friends list. My choice seems to be "have a very small friends list" or "play solo." For a game that aims for co-op and has clans, would it not be better to allow us to form the groups we WISH to have as opposed to forcing us to limit our friends to avoid join in-progress players being asked to leave and having to quit.

I suggest adding a /invite [username] feature that works from in-game chat so that you can invite friends who you want access to a private game that is in-progress. This may also help with what appears to be a myriad of lobby bugs that deny people access or disconnect them on join but otherwise allow them to join in-game

Additionally, I believe there should be a "vote to kick" feature added to online games to get rid of players who are intentionally disrupting the play of the others (lokis who teleport teammates into mobs, do other things lokis do... and speedrunners who leave their party behind and get to the objective and deny the others the opportunity to play the mission or get the rewards). The offender would not get a vote and it could be as simple as majority vote since there are only 3 people eligible to vote.

I'd love to hear what other people think about this

Edited by Furyoushounen

I agree that private should only work with people you invite, or even better, anyone from your friends list can attempt to join it, but when they do, you get a small message

"X wants to join this session <Y> <N>"

While I pick and choose my friends wisely, I think this would be welcome, and of course a disable feature for it in options for those who just don't care.

I agree that private should be private, whenever someone wants to join, message pops up asking for permission to go in. As for a kick vote. No, public is public, deal with it. I will however defend a kick right for private games, the host having the kick rights and not on a vote paramenter.

then if you know he's not gonna listen simply take him off your list. freinds can join private you know

There have been times when I have been running the boss solo yet forgot to switch out of private and friends drop in and help. They usually listen after I can send a message to them but lately the chat has been borked. It would be very nice to be able to stay in private with say just one friend and play with just them without having to worry that the rest of your friends will jump in without having to whisper them all telling them not to join the game.

And how can someone listen if the chat doesn't work? You can't kick someone out, you can't make sure that person won't unless you kick everyone off your list just to be able to play only with that player and you can't ingame kick someone. Not everyone plays with voice chat and some friends are just random people you meet playing and ended up adding to the contacts but don't have voice chat with that person.

i support the idea to invite only options, when you can have an option to see if people run a game which allows to ask for joining too, and also, what level and what they are playing.

That would make a definite logic thing out of the whole, as an overview gives you chance to change warframe, to support or whatever...

I feel dumb to tell people (e.g. random experienced players form my friendlist) who are inviting me, that i am on low warframe, or with a new guy from the clan only leveling. same goes for the guys who join in, disturbing a sort of explaining game, like the TO already explained.

Or new guys from my clan join in on a high level defend, same ...

And yes, with the chat bugged its not easy to tell them, whats happening as well, and there the friendlist shrinks.

So...this gets my vote, to make improvements in that direction!

No vote for the kicking, i had several experiences with it. Bad feelings, bad mood, supports more trolling and well, sometimes (mostly) people just need to talk some clear or friendly words.

The "end the mission early"/"rushing" problem could be solved with another sort of vote system, as when one person reaches the end, the others get a vote, if they like to end it. (good for when most are dead or locked up or stuck and one can reach the end, so everyone gets the "mission done" at least).

Edited by Schnecke

The game needs a voting system, and a voting system needs some way for people to quickly vote yes/no, and that second form of notification/control could also be used to handle "Do you want to allow X to enter your session" votes.

Been thinking about this too much (haha) and trying to put some more specifics together (also taking what others here have been suggesting into account) on what I think would be the best match options for the various way people currently and will likely begin to play warframe as clans become more prevalent.

I would love to see the following options available in the future:

"Online" (Functions essentially as it does now with a few added features)

- Vote to end mission "now" feature (This feature should be added to all match types imho)

- Vote starts when the first player makes it to the extraction point

- Requires majority vote

- Feature would be very helpful when players become glitched or are having connection difficulties, etc

"Friends Only"

- Any user on the friends list of any player in-game can join (Essentially the same as current "Private" match settings)

- Host can kick any player

"Invite Only"

- Host can send invites to any player (even those not on their friends list) by using the /invite [username]

- Host can kick any player from the game

- Users can request invite to the game

- Host can accept/deny request with 1 button press (y/n or Ins/Del) on prompt

- Perhaps prompt appears at top of screen as not to interfere with in-game play

"Clan Only"

- Any clan member can join the game freely

- Any clan member can kick a player from the game

- Any player in-game can invite other players to the game (using /invite [username])

- This would be great for testiing out new recruits in a controlled atmosphere before inviting them to the clan officially

Ok. so now that I've let the OCD take the reigns, anyone wanna chime in on these options or alternatives?

Edited by Furyoushounen

Been thinking about this too much (haha) and trying to put some more specifics together on what I think would be the best match options for the various way people currently and will likely begin to play warframe as clans become more prevalent.

I would like to see the following options available in the future:

"Friends Only"

- Any user on the friends list of any player in-game can join (Essentially the same as current "Private" match settings)

- Host can kick any player

"Invite Only"

- Host can send invites to any player (even those not on their friends list) by using the /invite [username]

- Host can kick any player from the game

- Users can request invite to the game

- Host can accept/deny request with 1 button press (y/n or Ins/Del) on prompt

- Perhaps prompt appears at top of screen as not to interfere with in-game play

"Clan Only"

- Any clan member can join the game freely

- Any clan member can kick a player from the game

- Any player in-game can invite other players to the game (using /invite [username])

- This would be great for testiing out new recruits in a controlled atmosphere before inviting them to the clan officially

Ok. so now that I've let the OCD take the reigns, anyone wanna chime in on these options?

Good. Yes, that's my response, but... well, good.

• 2 weeks later...

I found the current system (as of 2013.04.18) to be counter-intuitive. I had to manually type my friend into the contacts interface, and he had to figure out how to right-click my name and choose 'accept' from the drop-down menu. Who'd have thunk? Then he had to start a private game and I had to right-click his name and choose join. What a mess! I agree with the OP and the bulk of this thread. Either there has to be two classes of friends (like fair weather and auld/gold) or there has to be another class of private match (invitation only).

Edited by Derpo

I found the current system (as of 2013.04.18) to be counter-intuitive. I had to manually type my friend into the contacts interface, and he had to figure out how to right-click my name and choose 'accept' from the drop-down menu. Who'd have thunk? Then he had to start a private game and I had to right-click his name and choose join. What a mess! I agree with the OP and the bulk of this thread. Either there has to be two classes of friends (like fair weather and auld/gold) or there has to be another class of private match (invitation only).

It seems like making an Invite Only class of match would be the most simple option. I'm actually kind of surprised it isn't in there already. Whilst I pick friends carefully, even having to explain to someone who is polite and joins that I'm using a match to teach someone something, or taking it slow or whatever would be awkward for all involved, so Invite Only is pretty much needed, long-term. Especially as friends lists inevitably get larger over time, and people's ways of enjoying the game deviate more from each other over time (a friend who likes exploration/slow play may eventually become a rusher - or even vice-versa, and whilst I wouldn't want to un-friend him as I may want to play with him at times, I wouldn't necessarily want him suddenly appearing in a game, either).

I didn't even think that this could be a problem as all of my friends use my teamspeak server when playing with me. But after reading some of the posts I agree that there should be an invite only option. Mayby get rid of the current "private" and add in "friends only" and "invite only" options. Friends only being what the current private is and invite only kind of explains itself. This naming would be more intuitive and would pretty much solve this issue.