Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Barrel Diffusion... Or Polarizations. I'm Not Sure...

(PSN)theelix

I'm not sure if it's barrel diffusion that does something special or something about polarizations that no one oculd have seen coming. Ok, look at the status chance on your Magnus. Put a fully upgraded Barrel diffusion OR lethal torrent, IDGAF. Then, put one of them in the corresponding polarization spot. Your Status chance just goes up randomly. Making the Magnus go up to like sixty percent status chance. I'm not stupid and I'm quite capable of holding my own in math, I understand that shooting three bullets at the same time would mean you'd have to triple your status chance and blah blah blah. But, I'm more confused as to why putting it in a corresponding polarization affects it at all. Don't polarization just decrease the drain... Or is that not all they do? Someone should also report this to the Wikia team, so they can do some testing. That's if I'm not late to this whole thing and everyone knows about it already and I'm just buggin' out 'cause I thought I found out something new when I didn't. 

Are you absolutely sure that the polarized slot is increasing the status chance? Try equipping it in a non-polarized slot, write down the status chance, then equip it in the polarized slot and get back to us. Naturally the most obvious explanation is that multi-shot is increasing your proc rate dramatically, and putting it in the polarized slot is just a coincidence, so I'd like to be sure that isn't what is happening. 

Akmagnus...   1 V polarity slot

No mods: 25% status chance

Pistol Pestilence in non-polarized slot: 40%  (0.25*(1+0.6)) Correct.

Pistol pestilence in V polarized slot: 40%  No change.

Barrel Diffusion in non-polarized slot: 46.9% (I'm weak on statistics, but with 2 projectiles it should be 44% so this seems reasonable for "2.2" projectiles)

Barrel Diffusion in polarized slot: 46.9% No change.

PP + BD (both non-polar): 67.5%. Seems reasonable.

PP (polar) + BD: 67.5% No change.

PP + BD (polar): 67.5% No change.

I can't see the polarization making any difference to the status chance.

Are you absolutely sure that the polarized slot is increasing the status chance? Try equipping it in a non-polarized slot, write down the status chance, then equip it in the polarized slot and get back to us. Naturally the most obvious explanation is that multi-shot is increasing your proc rate dramatically, and putting it in the polarized slot is just a coincidence, so I'd like to be sure that isn't what is happening. 

This is an 80% Barrel Diffusion Mod.

No Barrel Diffusion Magnus: 20% Status

Barrel Diffusion Magnus, Unpolarized slot: 33.1%

Barrel Diffusion Magnus, Polarized slot: 36.2% 

Maybe it's just a glitch on me. I'll restart my system and come back with new results.

This is an 80% Barrel Diffusion Mod.

No Barrel Diffusion Magnus: 20% Status

Barrel Diffusion Magnus, Unpolarized slot: 33.1%

Barrel Diffusion Magnus, Polarized slot: 36.2% 

Maybe it's just a glitch on me. I'll restart my system and come back with new results.

I suppose it was a glitch on me. Restarting the system seemed to have fixed it and I have not been able to replicate it, switching the lethal torrent and Barrel Diffusion in and out of every slot yielded the same results and putting either of them back into the polarization slot yielded the same results of 33.1%, the correct amount (don't feel like checking or arguing with DE's math.). Sorry for wasting your time. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

Every time you mouse over a weapon to look at its stats on your arsenal page, it recalculates all the stats. So, if you have an 80% multishot mod on your weapon, 80% of the time when you mouse over it it will show stats as if a second bullet is fired. The other 20% is as if only a single bullet is fired. Try it out: Slap that multishot on, and mouse over the weapon a few times and watch the numbers change!

Every time you mouse over a weapon to look at its stats on your arsenal page, it recalculates all the stats. So, if you have an 80% multishot mod on your weapon, 80% of the time when you mouse over it it will show stats as if a second bullet is fired. The other 20% is as if only a single bullet is fired. Try it out: Slap that multishot on, and mouse over the weapon a few times and watch the numbers change!

Not true.  Or, it's true that it apparently recalculates stats each time you look, but multishot chance is not part of this. You can test this for yourself with Lethal Torrent, which if you were right should give you a 50/50 chance of showing either single projectiles or multiple projections with each mouseover.  But that is not the case.

I'm not sure where you're getting your chance. In my example, I pointed to a multishot mod ranked to give 80%.

Barrel Diffusion maxes at 120%, giving a 100% chance of firing a second bullet, and a 20% of firing a third. Thus with a maxed Barrel Diffusion and no Lethal Torrent, you would see higher numbers 20% of the time you mouse over your weapon.  Statistically 20%, given a large enough pool of data. Your mileage may vary, anecdotally.

Edit:
I just went in-game to confirm this is still happening, using Despair with ONLY Barrel Diffusion installed, and it does not appear to be happening. Stats are remaining unchanged in the arsenal screen despite ~100 mouse overs. I last checked this sometime in early U12, so I suppose something has been changed in how stats are displayed. It's a mystery, I guess!

Edited by Symbols

Edit:

I just went in-game to confirm this is still happening, using Despair with ONLY Barrel Diffusion installed, and it does not appear to be happening. Stats are remaining unchanged in the arsenal screen despite ~100 mouse overs. I last checked this sometime in early U12, so I suppose something has been changed in how stats are displayed. It's a mystery, I guess!

:)  Yay for actually going in there to verify for yourself.  Science!

Yes the arsenal screen is derpy sometimes.  Less so recently than it has been in the past.

Akmagnus...   1 V polarity slot

No mods: 25% status chance

Pistol Pestilence in non-polarized slot: 40%  (0.25*(1+0.6)) Correct.

Pistol pestilence in V polarized slot: 40%  No change.

Barrel Diffusion in non-polarized slot: 46.9% (I'm weak on statistics, but with 2 projectiles it should be 44% so this seems reasonable for "2.2" projectiles)

Barrel Diffusion in polarized slot: 46.9% No change.

PP + BD (both non-polar): 67.5%. Seems reasonable.

PP (polar) + BD: 67.5% No change.

PP + BD (polar): 67.5% No change.

I can't see the polarization making any difference to the status chance.

How would you find the math for how much barrel diffusion is increasing it? I understand that I did say I can hold my own in math, but I am terrible at figuring out the equation. I could solve it, I can't find it, though. Hah...

Just out of pure curiosity. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

How would you find the math for how much barrel diffusion is increasing it? I understand that I did say I can hold my own in math, but I am terrible at figuring out the equation. I could solve it, I can't find it, though. Hah...

Just out of pure curiosity. 

Each fired projectile has the same status and crit chance as the original, so if there's only a chance of firing an extra bullet, you multiply the status/crit chance per projectile by the chance of firing an extra. so if you have something with base 10% proc chance and a 60% chance of firing an extra bullet, you add 60% of the base, which should come out to 16%, unless I'm doing this horribly wrong.

Each fired projectile has the same status and crit chance as the original, so if there's only a chance of firing an extra bullet, you multiply the status/crit chance per projectile by the chance of firing an extra. so if you have something with base 10% proc chance and a 60% chance of firing an extra bullet, you add 60% of the base, which should come out to 16%, unless I'm doing this horribly wrong.

That's wrong. But not horribly. I have no idea why, though, since that seem like it would be right. I didn't have a 60% chance, I had and 80% so I used that and factored it into what you said, replacing 60% with 80%. It, strangely, comes out to 17.3%.

That's wrong. But not horribly. I have no idea why, though, since that seem like it would be right. I didn't have a 60% chance, I had and 80% so I used that and factored it into what you said, replacing 60% with 80%. It, strangely, comes out to 17.3%.

I'm gonna be honest, I hated stats. But as long as I can fire 2.8 bullets per bullet and my carrier keeps me supplied with ammo, everything dies anyway.

I'm gonna be honest, I hated stats. But as long as I can fire 2.8 bullets per bullet and my carrier keeps me supplied with ammo, everything dies anyway.

Lol, I agree sort of. I love math, just knowing the equation would make me happy, though. I'll keep searching around, thanks for the help.

Lol, I agree sort of. I love math, just knowing the equation would make me happy, though. I'll keep searching around, thanks for the help.

Math is fantastic, I just get really peeved by stats. And no problem, we're all Tenno.