Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Indie Approach To Procedural Animation - Clever Ways To Animate And How This Relates To Wf

Aure7

• 2 months later...

Most of you must have seen a couple of my enormous animation and parkour threads:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/116872-the-grand-thread-for-animation-improvements-and-fixes-with-gifs/

and

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-parkour-has-been-ignored-for-too-long-its-the-key-element-in-making-warframe-gameplay-unique-and-fresh/

But instead of posting this video there I really wanted more people to see it and more importantly get the attention of the animators of DE (to be exact, the poor guy that does programming for animations) I know they are trained professionals, probably more experienced in animation than the guy in the video but he says some very clever things that perfectly reflect what I was trying to tell in those threads above. So much of my rambling is now efficiently expressed in that video.

Link to the video: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020583/Animation-Bootcamp-An-Indie-Approach

Well first of all he's not just any guy, it's the same genius who is working on overgrowth and I already used a GIF from overgrowth in parkour thread, take him and his game seriously.

this video is pretty great

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ya this video went around the office a month ago or so(animation department anyways)... its very impressive.  I will put it in the hands of the programmers, thanks for the post

if warframe gets animations that smooth I will cry. that is going to be amazing :D

• 2 months later...

*Grabs Necronomicon*

tumblr_mxvlklEl1i1rnrreio1_400.gif

Since Parkour 2.0 is being "looked at", just want everyone to remember this and realize how good our parkour could be...someday. Personally, I'm tired of getting stuck on Corpus buckets and ridiculous Orokin architecture.

I want to be able to run over and through all the things!

Fascinating/instructive video--great to see work from elsewhere in the industry being introduced to Warframe by the community itself.

And to add my voice to the chorus: a system like this would be an excellent addition to an already great game. Hopefully something similar/appropriate for WF's feel might be compatible with the engine as it stands. 

the wall run in overgrowth is overrated, it isnt a wall run actually, its just a face rubb against the wall, the good thing there is the prodecdural animation for his feet during it, hes the one saying it, not me

but that's exactly the point. Making it simply a rub against the wall with minor tweaks to physics and fluid animations actually makes it wonderful, responsive and smooth instead of sticky like we have it in warframe. You could tweak some parameters and have it last for a lot longer.

The main problem of animations similar to warframe's is that every thing is separated into it's own keyframed animation and it's own state that has it's own rules and is often isolated from the rest of environment.

the wall run in overgrowth is overrated, it isnt a wall run actually, its just a face rubb against the wall, the good thing there is the prodecdural animation for his feet during it, hes the one saying it, not me

Still better than what we got, brah.

The iPhone's overrated too, but I still like it much better than this:

original.png

oh, right, this thread!

certainly actually glad this was bumped, as it's important information to reflect on from the rest of the Industry.

i've seen time and time again of people bashing each other saying that we can't talk about other Games when Brainstorming for another game, but that's just not the case.

the Gaming Industry has a lot of information to share with each other. there's so much more you can learn from the Development experiences of hundreds of thousands of people versus just your own team.

this isn't a classroom, looking at what other people is doing is a good idea, even encouraged. if there's a great idea somewhere, it could help out your own game, on both the Development and Consumer side.

which is what David Rosen showed in that Conference. a different way to think about Animation. one that's more open. one that's more connected to the game around it, rather than being created in a vacuum.

best of all, one that looks better, easier to create, more flexible, all of the good stuff.

these are the kinds of things that are why 'looking at everyone else's test' is actually a great part of the Games Industry, that we can share breakthroughs for everyone's benefit.

Edited by taiiat

Ya this video went around the office a month ago or so(animation department anyways)... its very impressive.  I will put it in the hands of the programmers, thanks for the post

Is this video still in the hands of the programmers after 8 MONTHS?

Is this what mr Geoff is working on?

People want answers. They really want answers.

Just look at this thread :

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/119650-parkour-has-been-ignored-for-too-long-and-the-current-directional-melee-is-killing-it-even-further/

This thread is 1 year & 4 months old.

It is 53 pages long.

The original post has 1200 upvotes.

Spy missions are the first steps towards better Stealth. Nice,because the community has been waiting for 8 updates to see Stealth improvements(and is still waiting for more tweaks).

What is the Status of revamped Parkour?! Last devstream, mr Scott was worried about the stuff mr Geoff is planning to add. What is it?!!

Edited by unknow99