The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Iron Skin-A Review

YashiroSora

Now i been seeing that, Iron Skin is close to borderline useless on the high lvl content, namely 40min+ T3 Survival being the most common example pointed out. How about Rhino's Iron Skin being revamped?

Here is an idea, which i will quote, as it is not mine originally:

I've played Rhino since I was very new to the game. He was my most played for a long time. My impression of him was always that he had a very strong kit on a frame with very strong stats, but was balanced by horrible power consumption. High costs, diverse needs, low maximum power pool. I liked that very much because it went against the spammy spam spam play style most people used back then.

To get back to that I would make Iron Skin a choice rather than an expenditure by making it a toggle that drains energy quickly. You would have to actively decide when it was worth using and not using rather than making it fire-and-forget or reactive by just refreshing it when you stop being shiny.

Iron Skin being a toggle-able is a nice idea on saving you life and allow you to tank, at the cost of energy. This would not be Rage(mod) exploitable as you don't take damage to your Hp. I have seen something similar, in the Crysis game series, where you have an 'Armor Mode' where energy is drained to damage received, and is, i emphasize, toggle-able. Now it wouldn't work with 'energy drain-damage taken' ratio, due to large damages done by high levels, and become a permanent tank for low levels, which isn't different to the current Iron Skin in theory anyway. Have it drain a constant energy/second would work fine, like other toggles.

EDIT- Alternative energy usage-Or It could work like the way Quick Thinking(mod) does, but not hp based, solely energy, with 350% efficiency at max rank. This is a way to make Damage/Energy drain work, without making it broken. 

Additional info- It would work as per a post below on 2eng/sec, the drain cancels when taking damage, switching to Damage/energy consumption instead, if no longer taking damage it resumes the eng/sec consumption.

EDIT- Iron Skin should be an ability where you toggle when there are a large number of enemies, whose damage cannot be faced by your Hp/shield pools alone. This was how it was used in Crysis, and would work here.

Edited by YashiroSora

If you place this in the feeddback section, it has a chance of being read by more people.

Also, less chance of "Grumpy in Green" text people aooearing to move it.

Reworking Rhino is a tough sell, since the (high) numbers of people that play him go rabid at even the slightest perception of nerf.

Now it wouldn't work with 'energy drain-damage taken' ratio, due to large damages done by high levels, and become a permanent tank for low levels, which isn't different to the current Iron Skin in theory anyway. Have it drain a constant energy/second would work fine, like other toggles.

What does this mean?

What does this mean?

As in, the duration of iron skin, is no longer hitpoint-based, but durability is drawn from your energy pool. The cost of energy/second ratio would be a high number, as you gain an immunity to damage. Something like 10-15eng/second may be fine, but it is a concept, where the actually balancing of it is unable to be decided by me.

EDIT-Or it could work like the way Quick Thinking(mod) does, but not hp based, solely energy, with 350% efficiency at max rank.

Edited by YashiroSora

If you place this in the feeddback section, it has a chance of being read by more people.

Also, less chance of "Grumpy in Green" text people aooearing to move it.

Reworking Rhino is a tough sell, since the (high) numbers of people that play him go rabid at even the slightest perception of nerf.

Ah no, i am not suggesting a nerf, i am suggesting a revamp that allows him to actually find use as a Tank on high levels without being too extreme.

40min+ T3 Survival isn't focused by DE, the main balance target they said is approx lvl40 monsters only.

For that target, the current IronSkin is very powerfull. Also keep in mind, Iron Skins protects (maybe a bug and not a feature) against Alpha Strikes.

The combination of Rhinos skillset "in compare is overpowered" anyway, thats why so many play this (easymode) frame, same with Loki.

I actually think making Rhino Skin togglable is a fantastic idea. You want damage mitigation? Better pay attention to your surroundings and get your timing straight son! Heaven forbid most Rhino Players would have to think a little bit more. 

Does Roar affect Iron Skin?  Because it would affect whether or not this is a good idea.

Roar only works on damage abilities, not just anything that uses power strength. If an ability does no damage, it gets no benefit from Roar. 

Well it could have, energy drain on damage received and about 2eng/sec for leaving it on. It shouldn't be like, as the starter of this idea stated, a 'put on and forget' skill, it should be like a panic or 'oh $#&@'button. The damage/eng consumption could be like the current one where it is affected by Power Strength. You should be reactive to use it and not use it a 'I-dont-care-if-im-hit' mission rush skill. It is also to help support to make it viable for high levels as many claim it near useless there.

Edited by YashiroSora

if this makes rhino/rhino skin even stronger - then no, most definitely he does NOT need this 

at this point rhino should be last on the list for any type of changes or improvements, he is the golden child and is completely undeserving while other warframes and weapon systems etc etc need attention 

if this makes rhino/rhino skin even stronger - then no, most definitely he does NOT need this 

at this point rhino should be last on the list for any type of changes or improvements, he is the golden child and is completely undeserving while other warframes and weapon systems etc etc need attention 

Iron Skin is extremely fragile once you play beyond the low lvl content. try playing lvl 40+ and you will understand. Many frames are getting looked at so every frame deserves a fair review. I'm not sure if your post is bias of hate to Rhino or not, but it is not needed here.

40min+ T3 Survival isn't focused by DE, the main balance target they said is approx lvl40 monsters only.

Unfortunately people forget this fact that DE stated and because you can play mobs beyond that level, your comment will go ignored.

I've got no "fix" for this, but I can say that Rhino within the solar system is definitely the most noob friendly frame. Maybe he should replace Excal in the line up...

Hi.

I play rhino.

His rhino skin is not useless.

Currently, it absorbs some amounts of damage. While it is up, it makes him immune to knockdowns and poison. This immunity is heavenly, and is not useless at all.

Changing Iron Skin to work like quick thinking has the same problems as quick thinking, namely that at high levels, even a 350% efficiency will cause your energy to drain instantly. As was already stated, this is beyond the scope of the developer balancing consideration. When they do expand their consideration, they will probably look again at iron skin and decide whether it is worth tweaking or allowing it to stay the same.

On sufficiently high enemies (estimated level 200), one bullet will deplete 1000 shields, 900 health, and 500 energy through trinity's link, which is a 75% damage reduction. If you want to make rhino able to tank those things, keep this in mind. It is at this level of enemy that we really start to need something defensive, or some teamwork between frames to survive. So no, I don't think Iron Skin should work like quick thinking. No amount of efficiency will keep you alive at those high levels. Especially when eximus start showing up and saying NO ENERGY FOR YOU.

If you HAVE to change it, then consider the following:

-make it take 25 energy to cast and cover the next 25 hits

-Make it a toggle that costs nothing, and every time you get hit, you loose energy instead of taking damage (suggested 5/hit)

-make it a toggle that has a high upkeep cost (5 energy/second), but you are immune to damage during the activation (DE does not approve this)

-make it a toggle that has a medium upkeep cost (3 energy/second), and every attack it deals with takes additional energy out of the energy pool to greatly reduce (80%+) or completely negate the damage

-Make it a timed ability that multiplies your current armor by 5 and gives the armor bonus to your shields.