The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

6 Reason Why Melee Need A Bit More Work

Doforcash

1/wall attack maneuver is hard to hit thing

it's too hard, when someone actually hit a AI with wall attack, the other was like "DAYUM, DAT SKILL".

2/Stealth attack is not a good choice in high lever mission

because breaking a lv40 AI neck= giving away your position on a spaceship full of baddy, is NOT a good move.

3/Counter attack can only use while channeling 

honestly, i can only do this after use Ash Teleport. =.=

4/Channeling-related mod (beside Life Strike) got 1st price in "the top useless mod set"

2nd place goes to melee Crit-related mod, 3rd place are melee proc-related mod.

5/some stance combo are OP then the rest

for example Cleaving Whirlwind have 4 different attack at it disposal, but sooner or later you'll fingure out EEpauseEEEEEEpause *repeat * are ALWAYS the winning code.

6/some of bosses are melee-immunity/anti-melee 

G3, Lephatis, Stalker, Raptor, Ruk and Void Vor 

and do people care about such thing ?

yes there are

--and that's all i can said, what do you guy think ?

4/Channeling-related mod (beside Life Strike) got 1st price in "the top useless mod set"

Have you used quickening on the fang prime? Or zoren?  Have you used crit mods on the ichor, cleavers or zoren? Have you used the event mods?

Also can confirm all of those bosses can be hit by melee

I do think that lephantis, raptor, and ruk should all have take downs if you get close that let you use your melee.

Not to sound rude, but Bosses arent supposed to be able to be taken down by everything. They require planning and adeptivity. And Tyl Regor is getting a revamp to be more melee focused.

Edited by Senketsu_

Have you ever seen what Quickening+Fury+Proc'd Berserker can do on an Amphis? That's nowhere close to useless. Not sure about the other ones as I don't use them.

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

The biggest mistake DE made with melee 2.0 was naming it 'THE SWORD ALONE'. The game is not, and as far as I know will never be, balanced for melee only. It's just a player's choice to gimp themselves and use a bad strategy. They are working to give melee more territory, the Tyl Regor update will be a melee boss that's made to fight players who use melee for example, but I think it's unrealistic to expect a third person shooter to have melee be a good strategy at all times.

The other five are reasons why you need to get better. Sorry if that makes me sound like an elitist but you're using stances for the wrong thing, building poorly, missing your target and using stealth attacks in plain view of other enemies... If the game made sense playing at that level it would be a very boring game. Keep playing and keep getting better. If you're having trouble then ask around in players helping players for better strategies or look through some guides / watch some guide videos.

I don't agree with all that OP says, but I also don't agree with some arguments here.

They require planning and adeptivity.

Emptying my Boltor Prime without effort nor alternative strategies on them isn't what I call planning and adaptivity. Bosses and enemies should be designed correctly so they can be taken down creatively with both ways, not make it so that it's a walk in the park with guns, but a challenge (against the system itself, not the boss) to use melee against them.

That's not balancing, and I feel your reasoning doesn't stand strong due to how gunplay is against most enemies/bosses, currently. Surprisingly enough, the first Vor and Jackal are actually really well designed, both working well with melee and gunplay.

And Tyl Regor is getting a revamp to be more melee focused.

I will admit I'm very excited by Tyl Regor, but the direction they take, and their lack of activity in polishing/adding better core elements in Melee 2.0 even though there's still lots of depth to be made (I will say, current stage of Melee 2.0 is still very shallow, despite being better than 1.0), it really worries me.

It actually feels like the attempt with Tyl Regor is yet another band aid (no matter how awesome it may be) to melee users, so that DE won't need to polish the system better overall in its coreThe feeling I got is almost like this: "We didn't make the melee system compatible with most bosses and various enemies/traps in the game, so here's a boss that you need to melee to win. By the way, the Void Vor is also mostly incompatible with melee 2.0 except a few stances. Sorry."

Giving restrictions is good when done right, but the restrictions in this game, especially in relation to bosses, aren't balanced currently. A good enemy design will allow you to use everything in your arsenal accordingly, but still challenge you inside your sphere of control. Bosses should give that thrill, but right now, it's arguably a no-brainer to use guns instead of melee for the most part, and for good reasons.

Making the new Tyl Regor won't do anything with the issue against pretty much all the other bosses, especially when the placeholders will get revisions. It will most likely reveal even more about what melee is lacking. It still won't do anything good for "sword alone" outside of a single boss battle. The core issues will still be present, and I personally believe they will always remain so long as DE doesn't focus on melee, like they planned to do with U13 at first.

Edited by Casardis

You forgot that jump attacks (coptering notwithstanding) make it hard to hit many standard flying enemies, like drones.

But yeah, I largely agree - the work of melee 2.0 is should not be considered done. The wall running attacks ought to be as seamless as they are as in Ninja Gaiden, not so frickin hard to execute that they are almost never seen used in real missions.

Same

But, you're just not trying hard enough to melee them. And stalker's fun to melee.

Really? Last time I tested, it's all about mashing E until he dies, or you die if you're unlucky. His melee attacks doesn't seem to be parry-able either, so he's still stuck in the melee 1.0 system instead of being updated for the new one in all gameplay aspects.

5/some stance combo are OP then the rest

for example Cleaving Whirlwind have 4 different attack at it disposal, but sooner or later you'll fingure out EEpauseEEEEEEpause *repeat * are ALWAYS the winning code.

The thing whit the  stance combo its right  foe example Crimson Dervish on Dakra Prime 2k-4kper hit 7k-15k crit or more  Rank 6 sword now Dragon Nikana Tranquil Cleave 800-2k dmg per hit 3k-10k crit  rank 8  in this way a rank 6 weapon whit a good stance can be very good on high level mision comparet to dragon nikana that can be  let say userfull ......

Edited by Flyghter

Really? Last time I tested, it's all about mashing E until he dies, or you die if you're unlucky. His melee attacks doesn't seem to be parry-able either, so he's still stuck in the melee 1.0 system instead of being updated for the new one in all gameplay aspects.

I play like a Gentleman, thank you. Blocking, dodgings.

you tangle with him and dance with him, you dont leave yourself vulnerable point black at him. You know stalker doesnt play fair.

Melee is weak.

There is not raeson to not chose a ranged weapon instead of melee.

I use my melee only to life drain.

If melee is so good ....try it on high level enemies like lvl 50 60.

Ranged weapons work on them too, melee, not so much towards not at all.

Switching to melee should ALWAYS parry bullet like projectiles the way you are facing, without usig stamina. The parry function has to be needed only to parry heavy attacks like rockets, arrows, shotgun and special knockdown attacks.

AND ..... melee should hit hard ..... We are masters of GUN and BLADE.

People will say ..... but, I saw 90k damages on infested. That is because : Slash, corrosive and blast which are multiplied on infested and their lack of armor. The moment you go against an armored unit ....your damage falls drasticly.

Melee is weak.

There is not raeson to not chose a ranged weapon instead of melee.

I use my melee only to life drain.

If melee is so good ....try it on high level enemies like lvl 50 60.

Ranged weapons work on them too, melee, not so much towards not at all.

Switching to melee should ALWAYS parry bullet like projectiles the way you are facing, without usig stamina. The parry function has to be needed only to parry heavy attacks like rockets, arrows, shotgun and special knockdown attacks.

AND ..... melee should hit hard ..... We are masters of GUN and BLADE.

People will say ..... but, I saw 90k damages on infested. That is because : Slash, corrosive and blast which are multiplied on infested and their lack of armor. The moment you go against an armored unit ....your damage falls drasticly.

Then don't use slash. There's plenty of good elemental melee weapons out there that are quite effective against armor.

Not to sound rude, but Bosses arent supposed to be able to be taken down by everything. They require planning and adeptivity. And Tyl Regor is getting a revamp to be more melee focused.

Most bosses require waiting for their invincible shield to drop and then shooting them a many times as you can with your boltor prime or soma in their tiny weak spot. And then repeating that process until they die. That is not "planning and activity" a good fight that uses planning and adaptivity" is the mr freeze fight in arkham city. It requires you to use your various gadgets and skills and yet he adapts and you cant get away with the same thing twice.