Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

At One Point Or Another, De Is Forcing Me To Buy Outrageously Expensive Platinum. - My Only Feeling As A Freshly New Player.

InForWar

I came to this game just a few weeks ago, and of course i used up my platinum on rubbish because i had no idea about the fact that i have like 8 slots for my weapons.

and after i realized that i thought it'l be alright. as i dig deeper into the game i realize that i simply cannot pick 8 weapons out of the tremendous amount of weapons there are in this game, and the replacement rate of them. 

I find myself not upgrading my weapons to their fullest because i'm afraid of the need to throw them out because the lack of space, which will obviously happen. 

So far all the weapons i got maxed i threw out because i couldn't hold them all. got 1 permanent weapon of each type,

and that's mostly it.

This is just a complete joke, this is what drives me off this game. i don't mind you giving me the possibility to boost 

a head with paying you and using platinum, but i do mind you giving me a teeny weenie storage for my weapons 

that every time i want to get something i need to break my head in order to pick what to trash and limiting my gameplay to a narrow bottle neck of complete annoyance.

Not to talk about 2 damn warframe slots! i got my rhino and now i have to trash my excalibur if i want to get another warframe. i simply cannot enjoy a variety of warframes, i'm stuck in the bottle neck

"Should've used your platinum to buy slots in the beginning" - Well, no body told me about that, did you DE?

"You can easily make a lot of plat off trading" - when you're incapable of going beyond tower 2? not in this life time.

So, please DE, i know you want to make money, but i'm no millionaire and infact i don't even have a job.

17 year olds still go to school, you know.

please, guys, do not let this get out of DE's sight because this is too important as they need to acknowledge that not everyone is capable of paying them, and they're just ruining the gameplay for guys like me that literally can't pay.

A few quotes, that i feel they need to be in the open post. (will add them as they come.)

extremely valid points, that are rarely brought up.

responses which talk about how you can make Platinum through Trading, or saying it's the Players' fault he didn't research a game before playing it - are 100% wrong. not the source of the problem at all. such is explained below (do remember to read a post before directly responding to it).

neither of these things should be necessary in order to have an enjoyable experience throughout a Video Game.

Warframe is heavily dependant on Equipment, new Weapons and Warframes roll out often. that means the Player is expected to spend much of their time experimenting with this Equipment.

so if that's the core of the game.... why does it cost money to be able to do this reasonably.

this isn't the first time slots and other fairly basic things have been talked about.

in the past, there have been many suggestions, such as competing the Solar Map awarding some Slots, Alerts / Invasions that award Slots or perhaps Platinum, Et Cetera. many suggestions in the past.

for a game that revolves around Equipment so much, the mechanics do not support this very well. something that's so close to the core of the game, needs to be supported by the game.

but by no means should extensive exterior research(searching for information outside of the game) and trading be considered a core part of the game, nor should they be required. trading is a community accessory feature, as well as the Wiki or other sources of information are community accessory features, not a gameplay mechanic. the GAME must support itself, not other things supporting the game. other things are a bonus, they are not a replacement for the game being able to hold itself up.

I think it might be fair to say that the number of slots for weapons and warframes was based around a potential maximum volume that is no longer relevant to the current scale of our choice. 

I think the weapon arsenal has doubled since I started playing with the number of primes, event weapons, weekly releases, and big updates which come with two or three new pieces since I started a year ago. And yet, the number of slots has stayed the same. 

It's not only against the core of the game as Taiiat said, it's an outdated measurement. 

I seriously think that something like wep/frame slots should be given to you over time via mastery level. Maybe starting from MR2 or 3, you get 1 frame slot every 2 ranks, while you would get 1 wep slot every rank starting at MR2 or 3.

Are you buying power? Are you skipping large chunks of time that the game is forcing you to endure before you can progress? Yes. its' Pay to win then. If it takes 24 hours to carve out 1 block on Dungeon Keeper ios and I need hundreds of them, then it's going to take me 2,400 hours to do a single room. Or I can pay for it. Pay to win. 

I don't have to buy the Prime access or spend plat in trade to buy the Rhino Chassis, but given that it had less than a 1% chance of dropping, the only way people will be acquiring it is to buy prime access or pick it up in trade, which requires plat and a fairly large sum, because it's that rare (and lets not say anything about DE encrypting drop tables after they cut the drop rate of forma) It's still pay to win.

The later isn't as onerous as the former, but they work on exactly the same basis. Only the most dense of Devs will use a pay walls blocking progress anymore, most now use the pay to wait scheme and make sure you pay by making it obscene. There's little difference between the 2 systems, the only difference is how far the devs go down that line. Dungeon keeper being the worst, Warframe's RNG less so.

What you're doing is quibbling over semantics, so what if it doesn't have a pay wall. if I stick a 10 day timer on something, you're still doing the same thing. It functions in exactly the same way. 

This is probably the most helpful of them.

i  dont think he made this thread for you guys to teach him how to make platinum after wasting his first 50 on rubbish.
i think this post was made asking suggestions on how to prevent waste on the first 50 platinum

this could be easily achieved by putting a message from the lotus saying that the platinum has great worth and should be spent on important things like potatoes/slots BUT can also be spent on least significant things like revives and (insert rubbish here)

i also suffered this when i started warframe, if researching or getting information outside the game is the only solution then that sounds like a bad design. all information/tricks and tips should come from the game itself and be shared out of the game through other media(along with bugs and exploits)

so...OP i give you my feels, i wasted all my first 50 on revives because lotus didnt even tell me about how valuable platinum is

Edited by InForWar

"Should've used your platinum to buy slots in the beginning" - Well, no body told me about that, did you DE?

... Well, if you would have asked anyone around here, we'd all say slots and potatoes.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but your thread DOES present a valid point. But, yeah, they have to earn money too. 

Edited by ConcretePie

rare mods can be traded and you can handle t3 (at least) with even non-supercharged weapons if you're group is working together.

you can also trade event items (for ridiculous returns)

there are plenty of ways to make platinum in trade. but it does take patience.

if you have a supercharged (potatoed) set of items, you should be able to handle t4 even.

best way i've found to make platinum in trade is to get a spare serration (plenty of ways to do that)

run t4s many many times for 5-packs of r5 fusion cores.

trade a maxed serration for platinum. (150-200p)

a few weeks (honestly) isn't enough time to acquire the necessary inventory to trade with. it will take 2-3 months of play.

(unless you're playing A LOT)

"You can easily make a lot of plat off trading" - when you're incapable of going beyond tower 2? not in this life time.

1. Good thing I researched Warframe(gameplay, what's inside WF, newbie guides, etc.) before playing it.

2. Good thing I decided to farm up my Orokin Void mission-busting gears before I care to do trades at the start of my game.

Edited by Uzpian

Ill be honest, your 100% right.

I personally havnt minded paying the odd £4 or so to upgrade my slots, but for a lot of my friends who try to start playing the game, this is a huge issue.

At the beginning of the game, you are truly bottlenecked.

ESPECIALLY since damage 2.0

You need different types of weapons for every faction, plus keep in mind

MASTERY rank!

One of my friends is truly stuck. he has 0 plat, a Boltor with no catalyst, and you expect him to go and farm some T2's or whatever for some 1% chance drop that he'll probaly sell for like 10 P?

Im sorry but its simply not acceptable.

rare mods can be traded and you can handle t3 (at least) with even non-supercharged weapons if you're group is working together.

you can also trade event items (for ridiculous returns)

there are plenty of ways to make platinum in trade. but it does take patience.

if you have a supercharged (potatoed) set of items, you should be able to handle t4 even.

best way i've found to make platinum in trade is to get a spare serration (plenty of ways to do that)

run t4s many many times for 5-packs of r5 fusion cores.

trade a maxed serration for platinum. (150-200p)

a few weeks (honestly) isn't enough time to acquire the necessary inventory to trade with. it will take 2-3 months of play.

(unless you're playing A LOT)

I Actually really do agree with your post, but it isnt good for a new player to be told to wait 2-3 months and grind hard JUST to be able to have 2 more weapons.

You don't need specific weapons for factions - elemental mods can handle that.  And They could simply sell their old weapons.  8 slots is enough to keep 1 'good' weapon of each type, plus still have 5 slots to rotate gear for mastery.

Plat Discounts? 50% off and you can get 170 plat for $5, which is more than enough to expand your arsenal. 

Also, any event, such as Breeding Grounds, that gives out a free weapon will always provide you with a free weapon slot to go along with it. Just max it out, and if you don't care for it, sell it. You now have another slot for free.

However, if you get the Prova Vandal, then you've gotten the Dual Stat Mods. Sell 1-3 of them for 600-800 plat to some lazy Pay-To-Win player who buys everything they can. They'll come back out eventually so you can re-acquire them at a later time.

You could probably supercharge the Paris and get into T4 content if you like bows. (Vor's Cicero Mod drops can also be sold for a good amount of plat if you ever get to T4).

(Also, EDeN153, a casual, has made several hundred plat off of Trade Chat)

These are all just suggestions for you to get plat, though, because I do agree that the game needs to tell players they have limited space for weapons. Hopefully, that comes with U14's tutorial/Quest system/Vor's Prize/Player Ships/Whatever.

I really am sorry that you're having these problems.

Run the following mission types. Don't use keys, just wait in recruiting chat and quickly send a whisper to whoever is hosting. You can get in a few runs an hour, and will make at least 20p a session.

T2 Cap

-ember prime chassis: i sold one for 15P yesterday

-Orthos prime blade: i see these go for 10p regularly

-Loki prime bp: 10p

T1 Def:

-rhino prime systems: 10P +

-paris prime upper limb: 5p +

-wyrm prime carapace: 15p +

Having said that, when you get some $, support Warframe by buying plat. Even if its a little.

Plat Discounts? 50% off and you can get 170 plat for $5, which is more than enough to expand your arsenal. 

Also, any event, such as Breeding Grounds, that gives out a free weapon will always provide you with a free weapon slot to go along with it. Just max it out, and if you don't care for it, sell it. You now have another slot for free.

However, if you get the Prova Vandal, then you've gotten the Dual Stat Mods. Sell 1-3 of them for 600-800 plat to some lazy Pay-To-Win player who buys everything they can. They'll come back out eventually so you can re-acquire them at a later time.

You could probably supercharge the Paris and get into T4 content if you like bows. (Vor's Cicero Mod drops can also be sold for a good amount of plat if you ever get to T4).

(Also, EDeN153, a casual, has made several hundred plat off of Trade Chat)

These are all just suggestions for you to get plat, though, because I do agree that the game needs to tell players they have limited space for weapons. Hopefully, that comes with U14's tutorial/Quest system/Vor's Prize/Player Ships/Whatever.

I really am sorry that you're having these problems.

You see? it makes me completely frustrated that i have to go through all that to get an extra slot for my weapons.

Currently i am a mastery 5 with karak that has like 3 upgrades since they all take like 9+ and recently got the latron to get exp, shooting for latron prime to maybe supercharge or just wait till i get the soma.

Don't get me wrong i'm all in for putting effort into the game, but as i am right now i have like to motivation at all, because i know i will be stuck even more at further progress.

Run the following mission types. Don't use keys, just wait in recruiting chat and quickly send a whisper to whoever is hosting. You can get in a few runs an hour, and will make at least 20p a session.

T2 Cap

-ember prime chassis: i sold one for 15P yesterday

-Orthos prime blade: i see these go for 10p regularly

-Loki prime bp: 10p

T1 Def:

-rhino prime systems: 10P +

-paris prime upper limb: 5p +

-wyrm prime carapace: 15p +

Having said that, when you get some $, support Warframe by buying plat. Even if its a little.

I would totally pay a little money to the company IF I COULD. but i'm at school, i got no money i could "waste" on a game that isn't considered

"stupid" to my parents, actual no ability to pay even if i do have money (no credit card), and for people like me these companies make a living hell out of video games.

This is the reason i generally prefer pay to play games, as i can ask the games as a gift and such.

some pay to play games are outrageous too, though. take for example WoW. i paid with some money i had to buy the game and my dad paid for the monthly fee, and after 3 months he said: this price is unacceptable (16 eu/month) and ever since i don't play it. so here i am playing this free to play

game and being actually tortured in order to play a video game.

One of my friends is truly stuck. he has 0 plat, a Boltor with no catalyst, and you expect him to go and farm some T2's or whatever for some 1% chance drop that he'll probaly sell for like 10 P?

I really do understand the frustration of being stuck in that situation. There's one thing I want to say, even though it doesn't solve the original comment, it's directed at your comment....

Why not help out your friend? Isn't that what friends and clans are for? Once again, it doesn't solve the problem for solo players, or the game in total, but it is an aspect of the game...the social aspect. I do this for my clan mates all the time, and they do it for me as well. We...help each other.

I really do understand the frustration of being stuck in that situation. There's one thing I want to say, even though it doesn't solve the original comment, it's directed at your comment....

Why not help out your friend? Isn't that what friends and clans are for? Once again, it doesn't solve the problem for solo players, or the game in total, but it is an aspect of the game...the social aspect. I do this for my clan mates all the time, and they do it for me as well. We...help each other.

I know very few people that would simply pay money for a guy they don't know irl.

I would totally pay a little money to the company IF I COULD. but i'm at school, i got no money i could "waste" on a game that isn't considered

"stupid" to my parents, actual no ability to pay even if i do have money (no credit card), and for people like me these companies make a living hell out of video games.

This is the reason i generally prefer pay to play games, as i can ask the games as a gift and such.

some pay to play games are outrageous too, though. take for example WoW. i paid with some money i had to buy the game and my dad paid for the monthly fee, and after 3 months he said: this price is unacceptable (16 eu/month) and ever since i don't play it. so here i am playing this free to play

game and being actually tortured in order to play a video game.

Ok so you cannot buy plat due to your circumstance. 

However that should not stop you progressing through the game. If you have one frame try and build a rhino. 

If you need a new gun try and build a karak. 

Once you have these you do not really need more weapons for a long time. If you were getting stuck then you need to grind some mods and cores to level stuff up. Having more slots for frames and guns does not help you progress. Levelling up mods does and this is not based on your platinum.

Still want more slots? Well its the long game for you. You need to level up those mods till you can do tier 3 and maybe 4 void. If yo ucan you have access to most mods and prime parts to sell.

Will it take you a long time to:

1) Level up mods

2) Farm Keys

3) Farm void 

4) Sit in trade chat and spam

5) Get lucky and make some sales

That will take a lot of time but it is an available option to you. That is what DE has created; a game where you pay to save time. 

I don't deny its a much longer journey for you but it is completely possible to get plat through ingame methods. Yes its slow and yes ot takes time but eventually you will get geared up. Then when next new prime stuff is you can farm it and sell it day 1 for the silly plat people like to spend on it. 

DE is not at fault here. Since they have allowed platinum trading there is a clear path to free playing people to still earn everything. 

Also just wait till the events over and sell your fire damage mods. It will be 6 months before they are available in game (based on cicero ones). So there's a quick sell. 

Edited by MDRLOz

Ok so you cannot buy plat due to your circumstance. 

However that should not stop you progressing through the game. If you have one frame try and build a rhino. 

If you need a new gun try and build a karak. 

Once you have these you do not really need more weapons for a long time. If you were getting stuck then you need to grind some mods and cores to level stuff up. Having more slots for frames and guns does not help you progress. Levelling up mods does and this is not based on your platinum.

Still want more slots? Well its the long game for you. You need to level up those mods till you can do tier 3 and maybe 4 void. If yo ucan you have access to most mods and prime parts to sell.

Will it take you a long time to:

1) Level up mods

2) Farm Keys

3) Farm void 

4) Sit in trade chat and spam

5) Get lucky and make some sales

That will take a lot of time but it is an available option to you. That is what DE has created; a game where you pay to save time. 

I don't deny its a much longer journey for you but it is completely possible to get plat through ingame methods. Yes its slow and yes ot takes time but eventually you will get geared up. Then when next new prime stuff is you can farm it and sell it day 1 for the silly plat people like to spend on it. 

DE is not at fault here. Since they have allowed platinum trading there is a clear path to free playing people to still earn everything. 

Also just wait till the events over and sell your fire damage mods. It will be 6 months before they are available in game (based on cicero ones). So there's a quick sell. 

So i have to give up my good findings in order to proceed in the game. interesting method DE.

-snip-

There's plenty of market weapons that can be used to handle T3 void missions, if not T4, even without any forma. You'll probably need a potato, but that's just something you kinda have to wait to see alerts for (or at least, that's what I still do, and I just hit Mastery Rank 12).

The Soma and Penta are high-end weapons that can both get you through T3 and T4 pretty easily, while the Angstrum, Stug, Tysis and Ballistica can all get you through high-end gameplay as long as you have the right mods. Some of them require more mastery than others, but the Karak is a good Soma Lite and there are always other options- each weapon in this game has the potential to get you to T3 with the right mods. There's a ton of melee weapons on the market, so in the end it's really up to you what you like and have fun with for that, because you'll probably be relying on your Primary and Secondary near the beginning of the game. Beyond that, you really don't need Prime warframes or Prime weapons to survive in T3/T4.

Alternatively, try something other than Tower Void missions to make platinum. There's a market out there for Nightmare mods and Corrupted mods, too. If you look up how those mods work on the wiki, and use Warframe trading sites to gauge some of their values, you can make a solid amount of platinum from 'em. Heck, what you don't want to sell, you can keep-- there's very good mods among both the Nightmare and Corrupted mods.

I understand your situation but trust me when I say that the game isn't "forcing" you to pay money for platinum. I've only bought plat twice now, one on a 75% discount and one with a 50% discount, and with both I only bought cosmetics. If you save up right and learn to use the Recruiting and Trading chats, you can definitely earn the plat you need to buy as many warframe slots and weapon slots.

I like to support the game when I can but I'm a college student who's juggling the need for basic necessities and college expenses, while I've been completely unable to get a job over the summer. It's rough, but if you really want to, it's completely possible to play this game to its fullest without paying money.

Edited by CaptainJohnson

You see? it makes me completely frustrated that i have to go through all that to get an extra slot for my weapons.

Not "all that". Just logging in and getting a 50% discount would net you enough plat for 10 weapon slots and enough for a couple of frame slots. $5 isn't much, either.

Selling a couple of Dual Stat mods would get you enough slots for everything you could ever want, and that plat is available to you if you just run the Breeding Grounds event for a couple of days.

There are some pretty cheap weapons that will get you into high level content too, such as the Burston, which has a phenomenal status chance, and with its 3 round bursts and a multi-shot mod, you could dish out radiation procs all over the place in the Void. You would definitely be able to handle T3.

The Cap'n and Phil are also right.

Ammo Mutations. Sells for me for 5p to 10p for each. Acquirable from Apollodorus after 15 minutes. Which even for a lower level player is quite a realistic expectation. If not, grab a friend to play with you. It's really not as bad as you think.

responses which talk about how you can make Platinum through Trading, or saying it's the Players' fault he didn't research a game before playing it - are 100% wrong. not the source of the problem at all. such is explained below (do remember to read a post before directly responding to it).

neither of these things should be necessary in order to have an enjoyable experience throughout a Video Game.

Warframe is heavily dependant on Equipment, new Weapons and Warframes roll out often. that means the Player is expected to spend much of their time experimenting with this Equipment.

so if that's the core of the game.... why does it cost money to be able to do this reasonably.

this isn't the first time slots and other fairly basic things have been talked about.

in the past, there have been many suggestions, such as competing the Solar Map awarding some Slots, Alerts / Invasions that award Slots or perhaps Platinum, Et Cetera. many suggestions in the past.

for a game that revolves around Equipment so much, the mechanics do not support this very well. something that's so close to the core of the game, needs to be supported by the game.

but by no means should extensive exterior research(searching for information outside of the game) and trading be considered a core part of the game, nor should they be required. trading is a community accessory feature, as well as the Wiki or other sources of information are community accessory features, not a gameplay mechanic. the GAME must support itself, not other things supporting the game. other things are a bonus, they are not a replacement for the game being able to hold itself up.

Edited by taiiat

Warframe is heavily dependant on Equipment, new Weapons and Warframes roll out often. that means the Player is expected to spend much of their time experimenting with this Equipment.

Added to main post.

The new player experience is in trouble. This is known. Has been discussed ad-nauseam in countless threads.

This is an aspect of that.

The meta game (advancement) in warframe requires that the player know what is accessible for free and what isn't.

It's a poor method to blame the victim for his own ignorance in a video game. They're here for fun, not to slog through pages and pages of wiki data to understand what they're getting themselves into.

To the OP. Don't concern yourself so much about the loss of items you've already acquired. You can always get them back at a later date once you've advanced a bit and have made the platinum necessary to expand your reserve. It sucks, I understand. But look at it as a learning experience. (it's better than getting frustrated about it)

if you want, you can also have your account reset. (loosing all your gear in the process, but regaining all your platinum)

At that point you can buy slots and make your life easier in the long run. (assuming DE still allows that)

I wouldn't advocate this option however, just keep at it.