Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Are Accessories So Useless?

Kestral9999

They need money, in the end DE needs to make some cash out of all the work they do.

Also if you play the trading market well you actually can afford a lot of them without having to buy platinum with cash.

With the amount of players I've seen running around with the Misa Prime Syandana and Noru Prime Syandana, I can't even merit that logic. They are making their money in spades mostly off of impatient players who want instant gratification and exclusive items. And trust me, there are more than enough of those to keep their cashflow rolling. 

Stats on cosmetics is a big no-no.

1) Cosmetic design is subject to taste. Some people like the looks of certain items while others hate them. Having stats on them means that players who don't like the look of said item would feel forced into using it because of the statistical gain from it. - This is a feature that causes lots of MMO's to feature some sort of cosmetic changes to the best items, allowing you the look you want with the armour you need.

2) The only way to get cosmetics (Outside a few promotional ones/trading for in-game plat) is through the Market, using a resource that is only generated through paying real money (Note: Generated, not gained. It is possible to trade with others for Plat but that Plat only exists through the use of real money) - Having stats on cosmetics would mean that it is selling power (The stats from the cosmetics) for real money (To buy plat) and is therefore Pay to Win. Which is a horrible business model that actively turns people off a game.

3) Cosmetics have a use already. They're for you to customize and alter the appearance of your Warframes, making them look better and allowing you to show off your style to others.

Why is it that my idea for dynamic Aura Mods, an idea that has been unanimously well received, has only gotten nine comments whilst this one (which was started a bit later) has twice as many? All of which are negative... it shows how easy it is for you guys to jump on the hate wagon.

I've posted bad/stupid ideas before, the best thing to is forget about it and act like it never existed, don't ever reply to it or even read it again, the more you try and bite back the more trolls and flames you'll attract, it's a battle you can't win and will only make you feel worse and bitter the harder you try. If you stop posting it will die out on its own.

Edited by HappyApathy

With the amount of players I've seen running around with the Misa Prime Syandana and Noru Prime Syandana, I can't even merit that logic. They are making their money in spades mostly off of impatient players who want instant gratification and exclusive items. And trust me, there are more than enough of those to keep their cashflow rolling. 

That's how business roll, right? Besides, more money means more resources that could be put for development.

And they don't put a pay-wall on game progression, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

Damn, too much 9crap really robbed my soul...

Personally I liked it when helmets had stat bonuses/etc. because there were drawbacks when equipping arcane helms.

However, months ago so many cried about the injustices of their very existence, so now we have no more stat changing cosmetics.

I don't really have a problem with cosmetics being purely cosmetics since we have the modding system in place.

Edited by sushidubya

Custom armor sets should have base stats added to your Warframe instead of being strictly cosmetic. Same goes for Syandanas and Sugatra. I want to actually use some kind of logic when choosing what accessories go on a Warframe or weapon instead of just "Eh, that looks cool." 

I understand that they are useless by their very nature as Accessories, but renaming them as Attachments immediately breaks that limiting factor for them. If you're a Rhino with a full set of Daedalus Armor, why not give some kind of added benefit to their armor rating or health and shields? If you're a Volt donning full Eos Armor, why not increase your energy regen or energy efficiency etc.? I'm not asking for game breaking enhancements but just a little boost so you don't feel like you got the attachment just because it looked neat. Give some purpose to our purchase.

you want an advantage over the people who maybe dont have money to put in the game.. NO.

Personally I liked it when helmets had stat bonuses/etc. because there were drawbacks when equipping arcane helms.

However, months ago so many cried about the injustices of their very existence, so now we have no more stat changing cosmetics.

I don't really have a problem with cosmetics being purely cosmetics since we have the modding system in place.

I've had the chance to collect all the stat helmets for every Warframe since the PS4 Warframe is Updated very slow.

Moreover, why can't DE just make accessories attainable without using platinum? I think that's the real underlying problem here. I guess if you want to stand out, you'd better pony up.

Why is it that my idea for dynamic Aura Mods, an idea that has been unanimously well received, has only gotten nine comments whilst this one (which was started a bit later) has twice as many? All of which are negative... it shows how easy it is for you guys to jump on the hate wagon.

If you hate this idea maybe, just maybe you'll like this one.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/251575-dynamic-aura-mods/#entry2913763

Don't ask for forgiveness or praise when it's not deserved. Actually, don't ask for it at all. You'll receive it when the time is right.

Well, you don't really need money to acquire platinum nowadays.

yes, true. but still its hard for them obtain something that other people can obtain instantaneously, sounds so p2w...dont you think bro?

a true solution would be making those items obtainables without plat..

Edited by Frenrihr89

yes, true. but still its hard for them obtain something that other people can obtain instantaneously, sounds so p2w...dont you think bro?

THANK YOU!

Just make them a rare reward for alert missions. Or maybe a reward for Dark Sector Defenses.

No, that's pretty much the opposite of p2w. The amount of time it takes to get it doesn't matter. The fact that it is attainable by anyone with absolutely no money spent means it's not pay to win. People throw away the term without really understanding what it means. Lets say that the best gun in the game was released. It made even the previous best guns look like pathetic toys in comparison, but the only way you could obtain it was by giving the company $40. Not $40 worth of platinum, which you could trade for as a long term goal, but a direct $40 purchase. Anyone who spent that $40 was instantly twice as good at the game, and anyone who didn't or couldn't was just left behind. That's what pay to win means. There are actually games out there like that. Warframe isn't one of them. It wasn't one of them before trading was added, and it definitely isn't now.

Don't ask for forgiveness or praise when it's not deserved. Actually, don't ask for it at all. You'll receive it when the time is right.

I asked for forgiveness very sarcastically. I couldn't give two sh!ts less if you all hate my opinions. They're my opinions, I have the right to have them.

@Kestral9999
Making them available through alerts still doesn't solve the issues of:

"I like how X frame looks without armor, but because I'm not using armor I am now just gimping myself and cant perform as well as someone else who is using armor." Or for a default stuff (such as banshee's shoulder, volts arm bands, and prime frames): "I like how the default attachments look, but if I dont swap over to X set I'm far weaker than someone who does."
Or:
"I dont like how the illiac syandana looks.  But if I dont use it I am giving up on 10% efficiency.  Looks like I have to equip it now even if I hate it"

That is honestly the biggest reason why cosmetics should *never* have stats attached to them.

Its just punishing people for either chosing not to use the cosmetics, or for using the cosmetics that they like the look of rather than what has the best stats.
Edited by Tsukinoki

Custom armor sets should have base stats added to your Warframe instead of being strictly cosmetic. Same goes for Syandanas and Sugatra. I want to actually use some kind of logic when choosing what accessories go on a Warframe or weapon instead of just "Eh, that looks cool." 

I understand that they are useless by their very nature as Accessories, but renaming them as Attachments immediately breaks that limiting factor for them. If you're a Rhino with a full set of Daedalus Armor, why not give some kind of added benefit to their armor rating or health and shields? If you're a Volt donning full Eos Armor, why not increase your energy regen or energy efficiency etc.? I'm not asking for game breaking enhancements but just a little boost so you don't feel like you got the attachment just because it looked neat. Give some purpose to our purchase.

Then it would be a pay to win game, where the only way to get the best setup is to drop money into the game or do a ton of trading to get it. This is went they removed stats from the helmets, because they want cosmetic items to be just for looks.

Putting stats on Armor and accessories will make everyone less diverse, forcing people who want the most out of a frame to use items they don't like for stats, or the people who like the look are forced into dealing with stats they don't like.

Y'know, when I started this topic, I was fully aware that there would be a varying degree of opinions, what I wasn't aware of is that literally everyone is 100% against this proposition. Had I possessed a clue that this would have generated waves of hatred and comments saying that "that's pay to win", I woudn't have even bothered. 

Consider this topic closed for discussion, anybody else who posts the same point made 40 times prior to this is beating a dead horse. I concede, you all hate the idea of cosmetic utility.

Is OP serious or good troll?

Now I'll be serious. The whole reason DE went through the trouble of removing stats from helms is they didn't want a character's appearance options decided upon based on the stats they give. I'm glad because otherwise we'd end up having identical looking frames(except for colors) running around as, invariably, the community will settle on an "optimum build." DE further stated future visual accessories will be stat-less, cosmetic only.

Edited by (PS4)GotNUGS

Y'know, when I started this topic, I was fully aware that there would be a varying degree of opinions, what I wasn't aware of is that literally everyone is 100% against this proposition. Had I possessed a clue that this would have generated waves of hatred and comments saying that "that's pay to win", I woudn't have even bothered. 

Consider this topic closed for discussion, anybody else who posts the same point made 40 times prior to this is beating a dead horse. I concede, you all hate the idea of cosmetic utility.

Don't let it get you down, as I mentioned previously they are using the term pay to win incorrectly. It is a bad idea mainly because everybody ends up looking the same at end game, not because it's pay to win. Trust me, I have ALL the old stat helmets, and no matter what my look preference might be, I end up using the one that gives me the most in game benefit. If there were stats on the other attachments it would be the same way. Sure, new players would throw on what ever looked cool, but once you got to the higher tier missions you'd see every warframe decked out in exactly the same theory crafted optimal way.

Don't let it get you down, as I mentioned previously they are using the term pay to win incorrectly. It is a bad idea mainly because everybody ends up looking the same at end game, not because it's pay to win. Trust me, I have ALL the old stat helmets, and no matter what my look preference might be, I end up using the one that gives me the most in game benefit. If there were stats on the other attachments it would be the same way. Sure, new players would throw on what ever looked cool, but once you got to the higher tier missions you'd see every warframe decked out in exactly the same theory crafted optimal way.

I see your point, and I won't lie, I was on a bit of a power trip because one of my other ideas was being very well received and I thought I'd just post another topic that I wanted discussion on. As you can see, "discussion" is not what ensued, instead it was a massive flame war with me as the target. I definitely understand that Warframe isn't pay to win, that's why I put it in quotations. Anybody calling it pay to win doesn't understand the fundamental concept of that kind of game.