Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

When Will We Get A Rail Gun?

(PSN)lll-URBAN-III

Well, it could be cool to have heavy weaponry.

Imagine a very heavy railgun which requieres charging before firing and would be very inacurate (due to its weight) unless you took the time to mount it on railing or put some sort of platform in the ground to hold the railgun trought magnets.

It would be kind of tradeoff. sacrifice your agility for the absolute best in firepower, accept no substitutes.

Depends. Railguns basically propel projectiles at high velocities using magnetic force and when that projectile hits his target, that can cause an explosion based on speed and material composition of the projectile and target. Higher speed=higher friction.

Well the Navy built a real one and the only explosion is the sonic boom as it gets up to speed. The whole benefit is a long range near zero recoil weapon with no explosive ordinance required. It's a magnetic propulsion sling shot.

wouldn't there be so much recoil it would knock a tenno of his/her feet .O.

Even if railguns can be extremely powerfull they use magnets and thus have NO RECOIL at all as the recoil from regular ballistic guns come from the gunpowder that detonates in order to propell the bullet.

Well the Navy built a real one and the only explosion is the sonic boom as it gets up to speed. The whole benefit is a long range near zero recoil weapon with no explosive ordinance required. It's a magnetic propulsion sling shot.

Arent projectiles of that one creating explosions on hit? Similar to the launches of Space Shuttle launches.

I read article about that weapon some time ago. Weapon is around 300 meters long and propels 200 kg projectile ( or something like that ).

Arent projectiles of that one creating explosions on hit? Similar to the launches of Space Shuttle launches.

I read article about that weapon some time ago. Weapon is around 300 meters long and propels 200 kg projectile ( or something like that ).

Depends how you define explosion lol. It moves at mach 15 if I read correctly so you are looking at a ridiculous amount of force hitting something. Things are going to fly. In game mechanics it would be something akin to soul punch. It has no explosive components but if anything on the receiving end has a tendency to explode it probably is.

The projectile from a railgun isn't creating an explosion. What is happening is the projectile which is moving at super sonic speeds is suddenly coming to a stop. It may seem like an explosion but what it actually is more like the fallout of tons of extra kinetic energy

I kind of suggested this a while ago....basically a heavy gun that cripples your movement but the trade off .........heavy damage (hopefully damage geared towards heavy units..bosses..etc)......and also a high rnaking heavy gun..probably m rank 12ish

made this railgun concept before,isnt exactly good looking enough to drive people crazy to start clicking the upvote like no tomorrow so that it gets in game.but well its quite old and i guess i have no use keeping this in my abandoned folders.

TxVMffX.png

That looks pretty darn good.  It's nice that it looks very corpus too!  Great work!  =)

EDIT:  Thinking about it a bit more that very same design looks a teeny bit too similar to the Dera.  If you however keep the same exact side profile, but when looking from the front you have it 4 "barrel/rail guides" shaped like an "X" instead of it being 2 that are flat like the dera, It would be amazing.  To clarify when staring down the barrel of this gun, you'd see an "X" shape, etc.

Edited by sushidubya

I would like to see a weapon that shoots out a charged beam that explodes on contact

Kind of like the ogris but an energy based beam

Will we ever see anything like this

Fweeze wifle.

Pls.

Edited by Noxonion

Based on the weapon's description the Lanka is a Coilgun or Gauss Rifle.  From the game: "The Lanka fires a high velocity projectile through magnetic induction." 

A railgun is a device that propels an electrically conductive projectile through generation of a Lorentz force.  The projectile must maintain contact with the rails until leaving the weapon for maximum acceleration, therefore robust construction of the rails is required to provide sufficient normal force at velocity.

A coilgun propels a magnetically conductive projectile through induction using multiple coils and is in effect an uncaptured solenoid.  In contrast with a railgun, it is preferable that the projectile not make contact with the coils.

The main selling point of electromagnetic projectile weapon systems is that railguns and coilguns are not subject to the gas expansion limitation inherent to chemical slug throwers.  Traditional firearms rely upon expanding gas produced by a chemical reaction.  Because the gas molecules have mass and therefore inertia, higher and higher pressures are required to see appreciable gains in velocity.  Increasing pressures quickly becomes impractical as the breach and barrel must be constructed out of material of sufficient strength, toughness, and thickness to resist the pressure without failing catastrophically (otherwise you build a really awesome one-shot cannon).

In the case of gunpowder (a low explosive), the reaction is considered a deflagration, which means the chemical reaction is propagated subsonically through the bulk propellant by the flame front as it burns.

In larger bore weapons such as those found in armored fighting vehicles, very high projectile velocity is desired, especially when kinetic penetrators are employed.  To achieve higher muzzle velocity, engineers began doping propellant charges with high explosive, where the reaction is propagated supersonically via overpressure.

Muzzle velocity of 1.5km/s+ is attainable with doped propellants, but any weapon capable of such energy would not be man-portable.

The magnets inside the gun do all the work so it doesn't have a lot of kick. The magnets pull the projectile and then push it so you increase its speed like mad. There is no explosive involved and so you don't have normal recoil.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

Recoil from a gun comes from the fact that the explosion that propels the projectile is not just pushing on the bullet, but also on the gun. Same with a magnetic accelerator, the projectile is being pushed down the barrel, and the barrel is being pushed away from the projectile. The reason the bullet goes flying, but the gun stays relatively still is because of the relative mass of each object.

There would still be some recoil in a magnetic accelerator, but it would not be as severe as a standard bullet weapon of comparable size and muzzle velocity. A chemical explosion creates all the force required to propel the projectile in a very small timeframe. The magnetic acceleration of a coilgun or railgun happens over a comparatively longer period. Its like comparing getting knocked over by being hit in the chest with a sledgehammer, or getting pushed over. One will shatter your ribcage, while the other will just knock you over.

Magnetic acceleration is also more efficient than the chemical propellant. The excess gasses of the explosion escaping from the barrel after the projectile leaves adds more force to the recoil without adding any more energy to the projectile. But the magnetic accelerator puts all its energy into the projectile.

Actually the Lanka is a Coil gun, aka Gauss rifle.

Also, it really makes no sense that the weapon fires a slow laser projectile instead of being hitscan.

Ok agree with the second part.

Edit: found the difference between the two re writing to incorporate new info

Lots of people make this claim but no one has to my knowledge explained how you can tell the Lanka belongs to one category or another. We can't examine the workings, niether would really be distinguishable from a results standpoint, both fit the lore description. I don't get it.

Edited by NevanChambers

^

I need dis

I really would like to see a portable rail gun in the game, and yeah i know there is per definition already one. What I want a real railgun to focus on is the charge of the projectile and maybe cripple the speed of a tenno in exchange to be a viable damage dealer against bosses or large crowds.

Edited by MihawkDulacr1

The RC-3000 man portable rail cannon:

Fires six inch long, half inch wide tungsten coated nickel-iron spikes at several hundred times the speed of sound.

Damage:

Impact - LOTS

Slash -  MORE LOTS

Puncture - ITS OVER 9000!!!!!

In other words, the messes in creates make the steaming piles of meat your sword leaves behind look like a bed of roses. Every janitor in the galaxy will come to loathe your name.

WARNING: Do not discharge this weapon inside any spacecraft hull. You will be sorry. Ear protection is also recommended.

Or how about an even fancier weapon?

The P-22-X Particle Accelerator:

Wraps a tiny packet of protons in a magnetic bubble, and then accelerates it to near the speed of light.

Damage:

Impact - Enough to make even Shiva jealous of your destructive power.

Puncture - x1 Formorian class Dreadnaught.

Slash - Numbers are incapable of describing the relativistic carnage you shall wreak upon thy foes.

What happens when an immovable object is threatened by the P-22-X? IT GETS THE F**K OUT OF THE WAY!

Legal Disclaimer: It is unlawful to possess, sell, or discharge the P-22-X within 900,000 lightyears of any inhabited star system. The manufacturers of the P-22-X are not responsible for any injury or death that may occur from loading the P-22-X with anti-protons. We do not recommend this at all, no matter how pretty the resulting gamma ray bursts may be.

S#&$, now i want that stuff

I don't think you know what a rail gun is bro...

It's simply a piece of iron which is shot out of the cannon with the help of magnets

With respect, I don't think you know what a railgun is bro...

It is two electrified rails which accelerate an object placed so that it touches both rails. The accelerative force is a consequence of the electricity flowing between the rails through the projectile.

If you're thinking of a gun barrel lined with magnets which accelerates a ferrous slug out of the end of it then you are thinking of a gauss gun. A coil gun is the same principal except with electromagnets (typically wire wound into a tube).

One of the reason that railguns aren't really popular right now is because the friction from the slug touching the rails degrades them after a few shots, and produces incredible amounts of heat.

Another reason is that they require a lot of power. If you saw the Arnold Swarzenegger film "Eraser" consider that the rifle-sized railgun would require a capacitor the size of a tower-block to accelerate the aluminium slug to "almost the speed of light" in such a short barrel.

You know... because we really care about realism in this game :-)

I'd like to point out that it gives the illusion of zero-recoil because the battleship it's mounted on it massive so the huge amount of recoil generated by the gun is just absorbed. Railguns themselves generate a reactive force when firing just like anything else.

Energy should be shield To charge it is going to take the player's shield At least 5 phases of charge and the last will Consumed all the shields After the shot player will remain without a shield A few minutes...

With respect, I don't think you know what a railgun is bro...

It is two electrified rails which accelerate an object placed so that it touches both rails. The accelerative force is a consequence of the electricity flowing between the rails through the projectile.

If you're thinking of a gun barrel lined with magnets which accelerates a ferrous slug out of the end of it then you are thinking of a gauss gun. A coil gun is the same principal except with electromagnets (typically wire wound into a tube).

One of the reason that railguns aren't really popular right now is because the friction from the slug touching the rails degrades them after a few shots, and produces incredible amounts of heat.

Another reason is that they require a lot of power. If you saw the Arnold Swarzenegger film "Eraser" consider that the rifle-sized railgun would require a capacitor the size of a tower-block to accelerate the aluminium slug to "almost the speed of light" in such a short barrel.

You know... because we really care about realism in this game :-)

electrified rails are more or less magnets ...

i just simplified it