Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Is There So Much Oberon Hate?

(PSN)Joshuaalt

Continue, explain how does he get that good. I'm curious

no problem

e.g playing with this build

63014,2014071100002SJRP9.jpg

if u play with it u realy have problems to die (amazing for solo or longer play against high enemys)

u have a strong ult(max dmg 3-5k) which is a good cc too and which stags nicely with other ult´s

oberon is a tactical frame imo and if u can handle it it seems to be rly strong and helpfull

Edited by Vernoc-EGT-

no problem

if u play with it u realy have problems to die (amazing for solo or longer play against high enemys)

u have a strong ult(max dmg) which is a good cc too and which stags nicely with other ult´s

You realize that since you have no health or armor high level enemies will just oneshot you, right? Even quick thinking won't save you from being insta-gibbed by high level heavy gunners and napalms.

Oberon actually is pretty good with the right build (I should know I am able to keep up with other players at end game with him hell in many casses out perform them) ideally you should ignore the healing aspect all together and focus for a build that lets you spam his ult, reason being is its his most useful skill, while it might not do the same damage as other skills it does have the benefit of having a faster cast time than quite a few skills, making it actually rather spam-able.

First let me start off by saying that Loki is trash. I wouldn't waste anything else on it, unless you just wanna joke around with him. All it's good for.

thanks - very funny - laugh long time =P

Edited by eprstt

I've never understood why Oberon gets so much flak. The only thing that really gives me any issues is T4 Void stuff, and the damage in that is dealt with easily enough through blocking or taking cover to heal. The only flaw in Renewal is that people expect to be able to continue headbutting walls of fire whilst it's working the way you can with Blessing. If you work with the powers rather than trying to play like you're using another frame, his only real letdown is Hallowed Ground.

I don't see why people call reckoning weak, either. I still one-shot anything that's not a heavy unit up to about 15 minutes into T4 Survival, and I have guns for those. You know, the big things we carry that make things explode when you fire them at enemies. No, he isn't perfect, but he's not half as bad in practice as he's made out to be.

You realize that since you have no health or armor high level enemies will just oneshot you, right? Even quick thinking won't save you from being insta-gibbed by high level heavy gunners and napalms.

u realized that oneshot only happens after lv 100-300 enemys?

My exact thoughts.

And your build is only Rage + QT + *random healing* combo + a terrible ult.

You can achieve this combo with any frame and enough Heal restore, with having much better other skills to use.

I am not convinced, sorry

My exact thoughts.

You can achieve this combo with any frame and enough Heal restore, with having much better other skills to use.

like u said-> and enough heal restore

oberon has this all

his ult is not as bad as u think

he´s probably not the best frame , true, but probably one of the best solo frames

Oberon's pretty decent.

His heal is quite useful - It doesn't allow your team to jump in front of a level 250 Heavy Gunner and sit there outhealing it (Which it sounds like some people expect it to be) but it means the chip damage that gets through your shields and any toxin damage can be taken care of without requiring team heal boosts (In fact, it can be combined with them to enhance the effectiveness)

His #4 does decent damage (On par with most #4's) and provides CC through ragdolling as well as the lift duration (About 2-3 seconds of not being hit. That's better than the Freeze effect from Avalanche and the tiny stun from Miasma) all the while having a good range.

What gets him hate is his #1 is bad. It has fairly low damage and no utility. Comparable skill is Embers Fireball which the AoE hits all targets in range, has 100% proc chance providing single target CC and can be buffed by over 500% damage with accelerant.

His #2 is also kind of unwieldy to use - 3/4 enemy types will not group up or stay in it long enough for it to do enough damage, while Infested are more easily taken out with melee weapons or other AoE (That said using a max efficiency build and stacking bunches of them on the pod in DSD is pretty fun)

So essentially - 2 good abilities, 2 bad abilities. The good abilities are either misunderstood (People thinking that a heal should mean they can go rambo without a concern) or the wrong part of the skill is the only thing focused on (People only look at the damage from his #4 or the healing orbs. Meanwhile it does provide pretty decent CC for a large area spammable skill that has no target limit)

My exact thoughts.

Well problem is you only say heis a horrible frame because he isnt the "best" frame, no frame really is the best frame and of course everyone will play favorites as well as least favorites in the process of doing so they tend to say their least favorites are horrible frames, in my case I happen to dislike saryn and rhino the most, rhino cause I simply hate rhino with a passion and saryn because I dislike her look and personally feel her powers are underwhelming (I am well aware they are good when used right, I simply don't use them right and don't care to) anyways that digression aside, oberon is a good frame just not the best frame.

Well problem is you only say heis a horrible frame because he isnt the "best" frame, no frame really is the best frame and of course everyone will play favorites as well as least favorites in the process of doing so they tend to say their least favorites are horrible frames, in my case I happen to dislike saryn and rhino the most, rhino cause I simply hate rhino with a passion and saryn because I dislike her look and personally feel her powers are underwhelming (I am well aware they are good when used right, I simply don't use them right and don't care to) anyways that digression aside, oberon is a good frame just not the best frame.

The reason why we're saying he's bad is because he doesn't bring anything to the table other frames can't do better. There's really no reason to use him once you get other frames. In essence he's a direct upgrade to excalibur: ok at everything, but good at nothing

In essence he's a direct upgrade to excalibur: ok at everything, but good at nothing

ähm..u ever played excalibur? excalibur is unreachabel ;)

36 jewlins a 5-15k dmg and blind build stuns enemys

Edited by Vernoc-EGT-

ähm..u ever played excalibur? excalibur is unreachabel ;)

Everyone's played excalibur...decent mobility, decent CC, decent damage. None of them are particularly good, just enough to get by. Other frames have better abilities in all those categories.

I don't expect him to be the best, just to be good at anything.

I have enjoyed every other frame, even Zephyr, Hydroid or the ones you don't like, Saryn and Rhino (ok I don't really like Rhino either in fact) ... Even excal which recieves some hate too.

I wish I could find a way to make him enjoyable, that's why he is still in my inentory but that is not the case at the moment

Everyone's played excalibur...decent mobility, decent CC, decent damage. None of them are particularly good, just enough to get by. Other frames have better abilities in all those categories.

well those are for the people who depend more on game mechanics than personal skill I guess, a person with the right skill and whit could take an oberon or even an excalibur and out perform most players out there.

i hope that u are now trolling

decent mobility and decent dmg? u tryed a super jump/ jewlin build? 5-15k each jewlin and 36 jewlins at all, and jumping all the time arround. thats decent?

decent cc? 40 sec cc is decent?

Edited by Vernoc-EGT-

I don't expect him to be the best, just to be good at anything.

I have enjoyed every other frame, even Zephyr, Hydroid or the ones you don't like, Saryn and Rhino (ok I don't really like Rhino either in fact) ... Even excal which recieves some hate too.

I wish I could find a way to make him enjoyable, that's why he is still in my inentory but that is not the case at the moment

Well your in luck after valkyr he is getting a nice buff, which as us oberon players over joyed. Oh there is also the fact that if nothing more you can enjoy the spectacle of reckoning (seriously even if it doesnt kill an enemy, which if its not one shotting most of what you come across you need to work on your build, you should be able to enjoy the sensation of being able to raise everything around you in to the air then slamming it down with a single hand gesture, how can no one else see how awesome that is)

i hope that u are now trolling

decent mobility and decent dmg? u tryed a super jump/ jewlin build? 5-15k and jumping all the time arround

decent cc? 40 sec cc is decent?

Zephyr and Volt have better mobility

Nova and Ember have better damage

Vauban and Rhino have better CC

Zephyr and Volt have better mobility

Nova and Ember have better damage

Vauban and Rhino have better CC

now u called 6 frames which get totally different played

zephyr and volt have better mobility if u play them only for one skill (speed or fly)(excal chare his build with a max dmg build)

vauban is normal only good cc against infested (with disarm against the other factions too) but excal can handel without disarm easy grineer and corpus)

rhino..wheres a 8 sec cc better then a 40?

nova and ember can deal bigger dmg but if excal jump and jewlin his headshoots are as powerfull too

Now this got me genuinely curious about something: How does negative power duration affect Oberon's skills? Do they get affected the same way Saryn's ultimate does?(Beside the damage increase that is, so it would make the total damage come out with fewer ticks.) The wiki already says that a max power strength build boosts the total damage up to 8K on hallowed ground, if reducing duration means that damage gets frontloaded into a few ticks then that is some pretty nasty damage for a 2 ability.

Alone it would be too situational, but if you combine it with a Vauban perhaps, or a Loki who'd draw enemies into its range it would make the skill a worthwhile pick, especially for an ability that can be stacked.

Now this got me genuinely curious about something: How does negative power duration affect Oberon's skills? Do they get affected the same way Saryn's ultimate does?(Beside the damage increase that is, so it would make the total damage come out with fewer ticks.) The wiki already says that a max power strength build boosts the total damage up to 8K on hallowed ground, if reducing duration means that damage gets frontloaded into a few ticks then that is some pretty nasty damage for a 2 ability.

Alone it would be too situational, but if you combine it with a Vauban perhaps, or a Loki who'd draw enemies into its range it would make the skill a worthwhile pick, especially for an ability that can be stacked.

Ticks hit every half second, and this is not affected by any stat. Sadly.

Edited by Valfunde

Hallowed Ground's tick frequency is not affected by stats. Meaning reduced duration makes it do less overall damage (Damage per tick is not affected by duration)

Renewal has inverse scaling, making it do the healing in larger ticks and less duration the more Power Duration you have (As such, negative power duration will make it last LONGER and as a result heal LESS damage per tick)

Edited by Tarille