Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Real Life Homing Bullets

CaveCricket48

Cept it'd probably be way more expensive to produce, and as for hitting targets more, anyone skilled enough with the weapon can do the same thing.

I don't see the point, personally.

Would work better for more extreme ranges that would fall out of the effective ranges of sniper rifles. High priority targets that are well-guarded and protected by counter snipers, hit your target a mile away.

Would work better for more extreme ranges that would fall out of the effective ranges of sniper rifles. High priority targets that are well-guarded and protected by counter snipers, hit your target a mile away.

But, Mark Wahlberg can do that now.

Modern Tech > Futuristic Video Game Tech

lolwut

Dera is a functioning plasma repeater, that doesn't have its projectiles rapidly dissipate as they travel.

Despair are a type of throwing knives whose edges are molecules thick.

The Jat Kittag is a hammer with a thruster built in. That's controllable.

The Mutalist Quanta can send out levitating biospheres complete with nascent life, that saturates the environment with radiation when it bursts.

Sorry to tear down your post, that kind of bothered me.

On topic, guided bullets is a pretty interesting step forward in military technology.

Edited by MageMeat

Cept it'd probably be way more expensive to produce, and as for hitting targets more, anyone skilled enough with the weapon can do the same thing.

I don't see the point, personally.

Imagine having a 50 cal rifle that hits. Every. Single. Time. Regardless of wind, distance to target, human error etc. That's the idea behind it I'm guessing.

lolwut

Dera is a functioning plasma repeater, that doesn't have its projectiles rapidly dissipate as they travel.

Despair are a type of throwing knives whose edges are molecules thick.

The Mutalist Quanta can send out levitating biospheres complete with nascent life, that saturates the environment with radiation when it bursts.

Sorry to tear down your post, that kind of bothered me.

On topic, guided bullets is a pretty interesting step forward in military technology.

Dera can't compete with the ranges of real life rifles.

Despair - Same thing.

Jat Kittag - Have fun trying to kill modern infantry with a melee weapon,

Mutalist - Same issue as Dera.

Despair - Same thing.

I don't know, I was just listing the more exotic weapons.

The projectile-based weapons (most Tenno weapons and some Grineer) would probably compete with those.

Despair - Same thing.

Soma? A minigun that has the control-ability of a rifle, and when modded can pierce up to 3m,Which should pierce most armored targets and has pinpoint range at extreme ranges.

Edited by DecapitatingJim

Imagine having a 50 cal rifle that hits. Every. Single. Time. Regardless of wind, distance to target, human error etc. That's the idea behind it I'm guessing.

It looks guided, not automatically homing. It would still need to be controlled.

I'll take rocket-powered hammers over guns any day

I don't know, I was just listing the more exotic weapons.

The projectile-based weapons (most Tenno weapons and some Grineer) would probably compete with those.

The whole not having to clean or sight your weapons thing is nice, but I've fired an AR15 before, and only the fram snipers can really compete in terms of real accuracy, 'cause hitscan and all. And then you have the issue with video game shotguns, but we all know that already.

Warframe pistols though, I'll ahnd it to you, those have accuracy.

Wait.

Just remembered, we're talking about projectile weapons from a fictional universe with many notable differences in terms of physical laws.

Comparison is a bit more difficult when a weapon can at one point feel like a pinprick and at another tear through your chest (I'm looking at you, Soma crits).

It looks guided, not automatically homing. It would still need to be controlled.

I'll take rocket-powered hammers over guns any day

Guided still eliminates a lot of things that can go wrong. And remember, guided can lead to homing.

The less factors a sniper has to calculate, the more efficient the shot will be. 

Soma? A minigun that has the control-ability of a rifle, and when modded can pierce up to 3m,Which should pierce most armored targets and has pinpoint range at extreme ranges.

I wouldn't call Soma a minigun. Going by the looks of the clip, it looks like it's firing something like a pistol cartridge.

Anywho, appearances aside, punch through doesn't actually do any more damage to the thing you shot. Also, apparently you don't realize that overpenetration of the target is actually a bad thing in real life, since you can cause collateral damage, as well as the bullet continuing past the intended target and hitting a civilian far off in the distance.

Also, have fun trying to use that accuracy with the clip in your face.

Edited by CaveCricket48

I wouldn't call Soma a minigun. Going by the looks of the clip, it looks like it's firing something like a pistol cartridge.

Anywho, appearances aside, punch through doesn't actually do anything more damage to the thing you shot. Also, apparently you don't realize that overpenetration of the target is actually a bad thing in real life, since you can cause collateral damage, as well as the bullet continuing past the intended target and hitting a civilian far off in the distance.

Also, have fun trying to use that accuracy with the clip in your face.

I'm thinking more warzone where collateral damage is an accepted factor. I can't see the police rocking up with tech like that :P

And it was just an example. The Soma obviously wouldn't work well design wise irl, but you can't argue with the merit of a gun that can alternate between a normal rifle, something that can penetrate tanks/armored vehicles, buildings etc. Hell imagine trying to take cover against something like that. 

Assuming it would be used in a scenario where collateral damage is acceptable, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Remember, most of the weapons in Warframe are for soldiers, who don't give a crap about damage or civilians. In a real life scenario, the tech in Wf would obliterate most of what is used right now. 

OH

Homing Bullets. yeah, that's been around for a bit. we also now have guns that autoaim for us too.

i thought you meant making your own bullets, which has been around for... forever.

Edited by taiiat

I'm thinking more warzone where collateral damage is an accepted factor. I can't see the police rocking up with tech like that :P

And it was just an example. The Soma obviously wouldn't work well design wise irl, but you can't argue with the merit of a gun that can alternate between a normal rifle, something that can penetrate tanks/armored vehicles, buildings etc. 

Assuming it would be used in a scenario where collateral damage is acceptable, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Remember, most of the weapons in Warframe are for soldiers, who don't give a crap about damage or civilians. In a real life scenario, the tech in Wf would obliterate most of what is used right now. 

Fair point. Though, I don't think most of the corpus weaponry would be of any use, aside from maybe the Angstrum for pocket collateral destruction.

So, to everyone complaining that it's not terribly useful, who gives a crap?
It's a homing bullet. Think about how radical that is. Holy HeII that's nuts.
In the split second it's fired it can not only make the calculations required to re-aim itself, it can also adjust it's flight path with enough time to hit the target moving at what, the speed of sound? That's nuts. I don't care if it's useless, you've got to appreciate the science.

Edit: OH and I forgot to mention, THEY CRAMMED ALL THAT INTO A BULLET.

Edited by Coatduck

OH

Homing Bullets. yeah, that's been around for a bit. we also now have guns that autoaim for us too.

i thought you meant making your own bullets, which has been around for... forever.

I read somewhere about a scope that automatically calculates wind, distance, drop etc and shows the user exactly where to shoot.

Fair point. Though, I don't think most of the corpus weaponry would be of any use, aside from maybe the Angstrum for pocket collateral destruction.

I could see them working well in urban and indoors environments, since we technically don't have armor that can withstand stuff like that.

oh, let's not also forget you can make Firearms in your garage, make Ammunition in your garage, Et Cetera.

there's a lot of 'scary' things out there, people freak out over one thing when things just as bad have been existent forever.

Edit:

I read somewhere about a scope that automatically calculates wind, distance, drop etc and shows the user exactly where to shoot.

mmm. it's so easy to hit what you're aiming that that the gun won't even shoot unless you're spot on. so you tell it where you want to shoot, hold the trigger, and wiggle the gun until it's on point, and it fires once it is.

Edited by taiiat

I could see them working well in urban and indoors environments, since we technically don't have armor that can withstand stuff like that.

Mm, I can see that. Also, since they're energy based, it might make them easier to transport and ready. Instead of having to load rounds one by one into magazines, just slap in a battery.

oh, let's not also forget you can make Firearms in your garage, make Ammunition in your garage, Et Cetera.

there's a lot of 'scary' things out there, people freak out over one thing when things just as bad have been existent forever.

Edit:

mmm. it's so easy to hit what you're aiming that that the gun won't even shoot unless you're spot on. so you tell it where you want to shoot, hold the trigger, and wiggle the gun until it's on point, and it fires once it is.

It was something like that. It worked everything out for you, gave you a little "Shoot here dumbass" prompt on the readout and then the victims brains paint the scenery in merry shades of gray and red.

Mm, I can see that. Also, since they're energy based, it might make them easier to transport and ready. Instead of having to load rounds one by one into magazines, just slap in a battery.

Aye exactly. Also lighter to carry I would imagine, since guns are heavy @(*()$ things. 

It seems that the ammunition used in he Warframe universe is a "one-size-fits-all" type, so that complicates things further.

Though it's really just for gameplay convenience, so...