Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What We Have Learned From The New Prologue Lore Wise

SchwarzReiter

Grineer use slave labor and the Lotus finds that appalling.

The Grineer are a Race and a Faction while the Corpus are a Faction but not a Race.

A.I. do indeed exist and are fairly common from Darvos comments.

There are independent colonies unaffiliated with any faction.

Mods are things that exist and are not just a gameplay mechanic.

The Grineer seem to think that the power of the Tenno are divine in nature.

The Grineer value their ancestors, what to please their Queens and long to die.

The weapons the Grineer and Corpus use are locked to them explaining why Tenno cant just loot the scores of them they kill.

Some previous action Vor took displeased the Queens and he is trying to atone.

Warframes do not give power but merely shape the innate power of the Tenno, whether this means that every Tenno has the same kind of energy within them and the frames shape it or if each Tenno has a unique power that the frames are compatible with is still unclear.

Thats all i found but im sure i missed something or misunderstood some part of the Lore.

"Warframes do not give power but merely shape the innate power of the Tenno, whether this means that every Tenno has the same kind of energy within them and the frames shape it or if each Tenno has a unique power that the frames are compatible with is still unclear."

The former would make sense. tennos having individual powers made sense at one point, but now we have newly developed frames like zepher it seems less likely, as this would involve creating individual tenno themselves.

"Warframes do not give power but merely shape the innate power of the Tenno, whether this means that every Tenno has the same kind of energy within them and the frames shape it or if each Tenno has a unique power that the frames are compatible with is still unclear."

The former would make sense. tennos having individual powers made sense at one point, but now we have newly developed frames like zepher it seems less likely, as this would involve creating individual tenno themselves.

That's true considering Nova and Valkyr as they explicitly state different origins, but the rest are assumed to be newly discovered rather than recently created. Oberons lore specifically states it

The only Problem though is Embers lore still seems to indicate that the powers are inherent as the flame came without warframe channeling. I reject the idea that the circumstances to create the first archetypes were any different from the subsequent Tenno, so There's conflicting information there that needs to be cleared up with lore but may not be.

Edited by NevanChambers

Kind of like that DE backed themselves into a corner here lorewise, one Tenno, many frames. How exactly do we keep changing genders then DE? Hmm? Seems like you need to find a good way to slip out of it or put in the work to make versions of the frames for both genders.

@SilverBones (I can't quote for some reason)

It also implies the tenno aren't physical beings, this makes the warframes some kind of androids instead of suits of armor. And again, this clashes with Ember's lore.

Edited by Kethus

Kind of like that DE backed themselves into a corner here lorewise, one Tenno, many frames. How exactly do we keep changing genders then DE? Hmm? Seems like you need to find a good way to slip out of it or put in the work to make versions of the frames for both genders.

It doesn't say one tenno to multiple frames.

It can be assumed based on that bit of dialogue alone, but it doesn't say it, and other evidence suggests no.

@SilverBones (I can't quote for some reason)

It also implies the tenno aren't physical beings, this makes the warframes some kind of androids instead of suits of armor. And again, this clashes with Ember's lore.

You really need to play Dark Sector the game and not make assumptions. Yes Dark Sector was the first Warframe game it started in the very beginning and it was made clear from the developers that this is where the Tenno came from and came to be Tenno. Tenno are mutants, once human, but changed by the Virus that makes infested. Only tenno react differently. Instead of mutating into freaks. The tenno mutated into super humans with super human powers. Tenno are evolved humans and some look much different then others as the shape of their frame suggests. Zephyr is a bird girl, Valkyr is a cat girl, Ember is a fire bird girl etc. Some tenno do not even look human.

Ember's lore suggests Tenno are humans brought into the void to be infected by the virus and to absorb or channel the power of the void into them that or the virus from the void gives them all the power they need to be Tenno. This is why Tenno mutate then gain a set of powers. Tenno are living humans, we can see them in pods, and in rescue missions. In Dark Sector we can see the first Tenno was being mutated by the virus but not turning infested, only getting powers, and getting stronger because his body became one with the virus.

You really need to play Dark Sector the game and not make assumptions. Yes Dark Sector was the first Warframe game it started in the very beginning and it was made clear from the developers that this is where the Tenno came from and came to be Tenno. Tenno are mutants, once human, but changed by the Virus that makes infested. Only tenno react differently. Instead of mutating into freaks. The tenno mutated into super humans with super human powers. Tenno are evolved humans and some look much different then others as the shape of their frame suggests. Zephyr is a bird girl, Valkyr is a cat girl, Ember is a fire bird girl etc. Some tenno do not even look human.

Ember's lore suggests Tenno are humans brought into the void to be infected by the virus and to absorb or channel the power of the void into them that or the virus from the void gives them all the power they need to be Tenno. This is why Tenno mutate then gain a set of powers. Tenno are living humans, we can see them in pods, and in rescue missions. In Dark Sector we can see the first Tenno was being mutated by the virus but not turning infested, only getting powers, and getting stronger because his body became one with the virus.

I know a bit about Dark Sector's lore, I even have the game btu I can't play it because the UI is too shy to show up properly. Anyway, it's said the infestation originates from Earth and the tenno's powers originate from the void, so Hayden's suit and the warframes Excalibur are only physically similar - their origins are different. There doesn't seem any link between them except that during the devstream they said "Yeah, sure, he was the first warframe" (not exact quote), doesn't sound like they put much thought in the answer.

I think the quote is "The Warframes you control are just a glass to give shape to your power."

This seems like confirmation of one Tenno to multiple Warframes to me.

Tenno Transhumanism ahoy! Vindication!

I think that single quote may be a liiiiiitle too early to call vindication. I was hoping for some sort of thing like the suit changing in deadspace. For the record I reject the notion of Tenno transhumism (yes I would have liked to have been proven wrong at least then the matter would be settled) as no one has yet provided a plausible reason for why suits that are built in modern times for transhuman Tenno maintain completely unnecessary secondary sexual characteristics. Alas U14 didn't bring us anything unarguable, well except we woke up because of the grineer.

I know a bit about Dark Sector's lore, I even have the game btu I can't play it because the UI is too shy to show up properly. Anyway, it's said the infestation originates from Earth and the tenno's powers originate from the void, so Hayden's suit and the warframes Excalibur are only physically similar - their origins are different. There doesn't seem any link between them except that during the devstream they said "Yeah, sure, he was the first warframe" (not exact quote), doesn't sound like they put much thought in the answer.

I agree it was a throwaway comment by DE but just to be slightly more accurate it was stated he was the first "Tenno" not Warframe, the Warframe is the armour the Tenno is the being inside.

Alas U14 didn't bring us anything unarguable, well except we woke up because of the grineer.

I would say that it's unarguable that the Tenno doesn't create the effects, they provide the power and the Warframe shapes the effects.

The Ember codex illustrates that at least some Tenno can create some effects outside the Warframe. But IMHO this confirms that for the majority of Tenno the Warframe is the source of the effect (Which mirrors the gameplay mechanic nicely)

I agree that the question of mono/poly Tenno is still arguable though.

That's true considering Nova and Valkyr as they explicitly state different origins, but the rest are assumed to be newly discovered rather than recently created. Oberons lore specifically states it

The only Problem though is Embers lore still seems to indicate that the powers are inherent as the flame came without warframe channeling. I reject the idea that the circumstances to create the first archetypes were any different from the subsequent Tenno, so There's conflicting information there that needs to be cleared up with lore but may not be.

I had considered that. However its likely that the unsuited tenno have access to a wide range of power, possibly elemental, but have little control over it (i assume this as the burned officer in the lore strip seemed to harbor no ill feelings towards the children, instead seeming to express concern). Pure speculation though.

I would say that it's unarguable that the Tenno doesn't create the effects, they provide the power and the Warframe shapes the effects.

The Ember codex illustrates that at least some Tenno can create some effects outside the Warframe. But IMHO this confirms that for the majority of Tenno the Warframe is the source of the effect (Which mirrors the gameplay mechanic nicely)

I agree that the question of mono/poly Tenno is still arguable though.

Well there was some earlier lore where it was mentioned the grineer pulled the Tenno from the frames and couldn't make them work. It played out basically the same way but it was a communication with the queens. I think it may have been removed with the codex so I just viewed that as a reintroduction or reiteration as that lore may still be in the game. You are right though that is unarguable now.

I see some people have already unlocked Mirage, so they might shed some light on the quest if it reveals more about the nature of the warframes.

I agree it was a throwaway comment by DE but just to be slightly more accurate it was stated he was the first "Tenno" not Warframe, the Warframe is the armour the Tenno is the being inside.

I know that, but I explicitly remember they said warframe.

Well there was some earlier lore where it was mentioned the grineer pulled the Tenno from the frames and couldn't make them work. It played out basically the same way but it was a communication with the queens. I think it may have been removed with the codex so I just viewed that as a reintroduction or reiteration as that lore may still be in the game. You are right though that is unarguable now.

Indeed the arid fear victory pre-codex entry. However that entry also allowed for both the power and the effect to reside in the Tenno (Counter to the game mechanic and implying that the Ember codex entry was a generic statement for all Tenno) This confirms that while in a Warframe it is the Warframe that produces the effect.