The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De's (Small) Step Toward Pw-Like Business Strategy

fractal_magnets

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally I don't want to put any work into playing games.

I play games for fun, it seems DE is loosing sight of that with each update.

So you don't like to earn anything? Wheres the sense of accomplishment? 

And that is what the scramble box promotes.

Agreed.  In all seriousness, I've seen this kind of model before.  They're called gachapons for terrible Korean MMOs and they're a disgusting practice.  The idea that you pay real money for a chance at what you want is terrible rather than having us buy exactly what we want.  It's been said a thousand times, but I'll say it again- give us color palettes for the kubrows that we purchase just like for the warframes.  Same with patterns, same with body structure.

So you don't like to earn anything? Wheres the sense of accomplishment? 

Welcome to the casual gamer generation. This is why CoD became so bad, and keeps getting worse, from CoD2 on.  Casual gamers basically want everything handed to them with no effort or thought required while the game continuously praises them for it. 

What does being F2P have to do with cosmetics? Especially in the example I brought up. 'Customizing' is a HUGE factor in CS:GO, or are you not aware of just how much money people will shell out for certain skins? CS:GO features pretty much exactly what Warframe is now trying to do with Kubrow cosmetics, and it is massively successful. I'm not saying it is going to be exactly the same, but that at least proves that the idea isn't an instant failure like some people seem to think. I'm not pro-gambling (well, not much), I just haven't deluded myself into thinking that DE has to do everything the way I want it when it comes to cosmetics. That is how frame and sentinel customization works, DE does not have to make Kubrow work that way. You think that, DE seems to disagree. A glitch does not warrant them changing their system so that it falls in line with what you want. Especially if what you want would cause a decrease in their profits (the very thing that keep this game afloat.

If a glitch causes your patterns to disappear, contact support. Make sure you have a screenshot of your kubrow with the fur pattern you're claiming to have had. Maybe they can help. Now, that is how it COULD be. Your opinion does not decide how the game SHOULD be. I have already suggested a modification to the system that would allow you to retain what you have already purchased, but without potentially negatively impacting DE's profits.

By changing the scrambler to purchasing skins rather then RNG wouldn't ruin DE's profits. Infact, with enough people not wanting to spend would alter its purchasing amounts. Not that it would change DE's income but seriously? Why would this system work better when purchasing all those skins seperately would profit DE more? 10plat for a generated skin that could easily be a 40 plat skin? Permanently having the option on whatever Kubrow type you can apply it too. The only lottery besides this is the login reward which is free. Honestly why defend such a nasty behavior that mimics other games when Warframe is already benefitting in many other ways? There's no reason to do what other companies do when DE is already an outstanding successful and healthy company?

Yes I want to pay for cosmetics, but i can't pick and choose what color and pattern I want my pet to be, even tho I'm paying for it. A pretty silly backwards system that can easily be changed to a more simple and benefitting remedy. If DE released seperate patterns for 40 plat each, I'd buy it. Say there's 5 skins. That's 200 plat easy. Is that not profit? No doubt spending 10 plat 20 times is good but not as benefitting. No one is going to want to scrambler their pets that many times....

If people want to spend money on cosmetics the way they originally do with frames and sentinels, this thread wouldn't exist. It's sort of a similar issue when the first Prime Access(ember prime) was released. After DE seeing the community complaints about cosmetics, they made a separate tier for the next Access Prime to purchase those items only. That said, this can be altered and changed for the better. DE listens. There are soo many other purchases, that making this scrambler a one step to an anti-impulse buyer. If a bundle for mirage is well worth more then Kubrow scrambler, something is obviously wrong with this system.

Edited by Magnagar

Welcome to the casual gamer generation. This is why CoD became so bad, and keeps getting worse, from CoD2 on.  Casual gamers basically want everything handed to them with no effort or thought required while the game continuously praises them for it. 

Here comes the "casual" argument...

Paying to roll the dice isn't effort. It isn't thought.

Agreed.  In all seriousness, I've seen this kind of model before.  They're called gachapons for terrible Korean MMOs and they're a disgusting practice.  The idea that you pay real money for a chance at what you want is terrible rather than having us buy exactly what we want.  It's been said a thousand times, but I'll say it again- give us color palettes for the kubrows that we purchase just like for the warframes.  Same with patterns, same with body structure.

I would actually be fine with breed, sex and build to be decided by the egg and prints. And maybe add some other things that can change to the prints. But i want to control the fur and patterns at the very least. I mean, its not like it would change the way kubrows play right? ;)

so now it's casual vs hardcore... just great. That is just playing a whole different ballgame that has nothing to do here.

Besides me being innately opposed to the idea of "customizing" a dog's color --

Because DE has more important things (like bug fixes) to do? You're asking them to abandon the imprint system (which took a lot of work to implement in the first place) and replace it, all the while they could have used their time and effort to do something better. 

Also I like the idea of imprint trading. If you can customize kubros however you want, imprint trading would be of no use. And I don't want that. 

First, what evidence is there that the imprint system "took a lot of work?". Even then, nobody's asking them to abandon the imprint system, even though it's of questionable use as-is. As noted by myself and others, you can only get two imprints per mutt, and you need two imprints to maximize chances (not even guarantee) the traits'll carry over to the next one... meaning you can't even really selectively breed since a trait can magically go extinct by the very next generation (since I highly doubt the imprint system models recessive, heterozygous, etc. genes).

It also demonstrates that the trading system we have simply isn't up to the task, considering it's a quagmire of spam. Particularly since people have reported they can't even see the pattern of the mutt on a given imprint, so scams ahoy.

So, I have an important question: 

does the imprint that you trade from other player also give you completely random results? 

Or is it semi-certain that you'll get a particular fur color if you get the imprint from a kubro with the color you want? 

I'm going to give an example from my earlier mentioned Breeding change.

In the way I meant you could litteritly change how your pet looks by raising it. I litteritly meant you can change it completely.

This, is what a baby Chao looks like:

OB0okpq.jpg

THIS. Is what it looks like if you feed it enough Hero fruit, or Dark fruit.

Bg2MJLv.jpg

AND THIS is MANY VARIATIONS it could POSSIBLY look like, by RAISING it even further.

BIVttW3.jpg

7efJHbT.jpg

DTBDIiC.jpg

FINALLY. Looks that you can only get by breeding it multiple times (as in, chao can rebirth, possibly have Kubrows use forma on their collars or..something? Or maybe super duper loyalty points over positive 100% loyalty)

4P9LsUg.png

With this kind of breeding system. It would have players take the initiative to raise and customize their Kubrows to their own liking. You could have the option to feed it certain foods, or do certain activities or actions, so your Kubrow would be raised differently. You could even possibly even buy Eggs from the market to have a pre determined color that will stay permanently on your Kubrow. Be it mono-tone or two-tone.

Example:

Shiny Gold like Egg would make your pet always look Shiny gold, no matter what evolution route you take.

p44NHUQ.jpg

Now. I'm not asking DE to drop everything they're absolutely doing and focus on this. No. I am simply pointing out there are possible, and fair systems for raising and breeding pets. This particular one, is my favorite, and I think is the most rewarding.

You could also take my other mentioned idea of the quest system to allow us to get a fully upgraded Orokin Incubator for the ability to choose colors/patterns.

Edit: Meant Collars. Not Colors. Oops.

Edited by Shuuro

does the imprint that you trade from other player also give you completely random results? 

Or is it semi-certain that you'll get a particular fur color if you get the imprint from a kubro with the color you want? 

everything on the imprint is left to chance. people used 2 black/white sahasa prints and get a white raksa.

EDIT: maybe it would have been better with breeding... if it worked.

Edited by Airwolfen

No. It only increases your chance. You can STILL get something random. It does not help that after that certain Kubrow uses up it's 2 imprints. You can't use it anymore for breeding.

First, what evidence is there that the imprint system "took a lot of work?". Even then, nobody's asking them to abandon the imprint system, even though it's of questionable use as-is. As noted by myself and others, you can only get two imprints per mutt, and you need two imprints to maximize chances (not even guarantee) the traits'll carry over to the next one... meaning you can't even really selectively breed since a trait can magically go extinct by the very next generation (since I highly doubt the imprint system models recessive, heterozygous, etc. genes).

It also demonstrates that the trading system we have simply isn't up to the task, considering it's a quagmire of spam. Particularly since people have reported they can't even see the pattern of the mutt on a given imprint, so scams ahoy.

First, what evidence is there that the imprint system doesn't model recessive, heterozygous, etc. genes?

Even in real life, it takes many generations of breeding to come up with a new and consistent result in a new breed of animal.

The Kubrow scrambler is nothing like what PWE does. The best and closest comparison to the Kubrow scrambler are the CS:GO weapon cases. You people are letting fear and slippery slope blind you to what is actually going on and just how much people don't mind the option when it is featured in other non-PWE associated games. If not for the whole PWE thing you guys probably wouldn't be saying anything about this. Because you guys wouldn't be associating DE with PWE when the thing that you guys are comparing the scrambler to functions very differently. It's times like these that I wish downvotes existed on this forum.

It is just Kubrows today. I fear that it won't be just Kubrows in the days to come.

That's a slippery slope with nothing to support the fear that this will branch into things that aren't cosmetic in nature. Your fear is based on PWE's practices and your assumption that that has anything to do with DE and Warframe.