Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender Of Warframes...

Pugnastyy

I was thinking why are warframes gender locked? I've never liked playing games that have gender locked classes or characters. I've always wanted to play a female rhino or a male ember in my time playing warframe. Just a suggestion

I was thinking why are warframes gender locked? I've never liked playing games that have gender locked classes or characters. I've always wanted to play a female rhino or a male ember in my time playing warframe. Just a suggestion

Because they've already said gender swaps will never happen and the closest you'll ever get is a different gender with a similar theme.

I suppose it's just because DE does not want to design two models for each new Warframe (and many models to fill in the current gaps), which is fair.  Diversity is cool.  Options are too, but at a certain point it's very hard to actually produce those options, especially for the effect they would have.

Because they've already said gender swaps will never happen and the closest you'll ever get is a different gender with a similar theme.

Valkyr/Rhino, Loki/Mirage

Not every frame would look good if suddenly female either. Male and Female have certain aesthetics. 

Edited by Acos

Valkyr/Rhino, Loki/Mirage

Actually Mirage and Vauban are gender swapped, and Nyx and Excalibur are too. It's hard to think of, but probably ember and volt since they're similar as well.

Anyways...

A BIG NOTE: DE has stated officially REPEATEDLY that warframes are gender locked and will NEVER be available for gender switching. Keep this in mind.

Going with the "Tenno are energy beings" theory, it's possible that the Warframes HAVE to be designed what specific way, even if it resembles the opposite gender, to properly be able to focus the Tenno's raw Void power into a more specific tool - i.e. how shining a light through two crystal with different crystalline structures would produce two different patterns in shadow.

Edited by Morec0

Actually Mirage and Vauban are gender swapped, and Nyx and Excalibur are too. It's hard to think of, but probably ember and volt since they're similar as well.

Anyways...

A BIG NOTE: DE has stated officially REPEATEDLY that warframes are gender locked and will NEVER be available for gender switching. Keep this in mind.

Wait.. Mirage and Vauban..?

If gender swaping is a thing Mirage and Loki are probably the most obivious one.

Going with the "Tenno are energy beings" theory, it's possible that the Warframes HAVE to be designed what specific way, even if it resembles the opposite gender, to properly be able to focus the Tenno's raw Void power into a more specific tool - i.e. how shining a light through two crystal with different crystalline structures would produce two different patterns in shadow.

Pretty sure there's a body under there. What little of the story I know states that the people who went to the Void and managed to return were turned into Warframes. Tenno might be able to leave their body or something and use a different frame, but what I read says "We built a frame around them."

Edited by Ceryk

Aside from the muscle fetish of wanting a female Rhino.

I like the Gender lock. I always play fem-chars exclusively, but the gender-lock helps me get more into the feel of USING a frame for its USE. Rather than gender...but everything else is the same. (i.e. most MMOs)

Pretty sure there's a body under there. What little of the story I know states that the people who went to the Void and managed to return were turned into Warframes. Tenno might be able to leave their body or something and use a different frame, but what I read says "We built a frame around them."

There's a lot of speculation - the "energy being" theory gains its support from the fact we're able to seamlessly switch between has such RADICALLY different bodytypes in a setting that very much seems to want to say "yes, YOU are switching Warframes, not characters".

I'd LOVE IT if DE would just confirm "all those Warframes you play as are different Tenno" but they don't seem to want to. With the rise of the ship-based armory, though, it just seems to be the most reasonable, imo. Many disagreements have been had over this.

Edited by Morec0

There's a lot of speculation - the "energy being" theory gains its support from the fact we're able to seamlessly switch between has such RADICALLY different bodytypes in a setting that very much seems to want to say "yes, YOU are switching Warframes, not characters".

I'd LOVE IT if DE would just confirm "all those Warframes you play as are different Tenno" but they don't seem to want to. With the rise of the ship-based armory, though, it just seems to be the most reasonable, imo. Many disagreements have been had over this.

Since Mirage questline we can definitely assume that each Tenno individual.

Since Mirage questline we can definitely assume that each Tenno individual.

Oh, yeah, the Tenno are individuals, but the frames are just exo suits that can be reproduced and then wore by any Tenno. The Mirage itself may not have been unique (leading to speculation that all the other mirage frames were also blown off the face of the system at some point), but the Tenno we learn about through the questline was her own person.

Like I said; a LOT of conflicting points. It's almost like DE WANTS there to be a lot of possibilities and just let us pick and choose what we want as the explination for what the Tenno are. Novel idea, but as a stickler for explination it doesn't sit QUITE right with me :P

Anyways...

yaya sure...

they also said the same thing about trading...

I recall a dev saying back in the day about trading "it just doesn't fit what we are trying to do with warframe."

also the games lore clearly states that a warframe is equipment and that you are playing a tenno not the warframe.

Edited by themovement

Warframe is not that type of game. Gender locks are obvious to why. When it comes down the line, this might be later on in the future, but for now I highly doubt it. The genders of the warframes define them of who they are as "Tenno" 

It is sure a neat idea, but just think of the work they have to put behind what is essentialy extremely much time wasted upon what they could accomplish with that time towards the future of projects and other amazing content. 

I choose more epic updates, tilesets, enemies, weps and all that othet graphical amaze over what is essentially just a gender changer. Best thing they could do in the time being, change "male" status to "female" but still look the same. But knowing it is now a "female" because they said so. It's a lot of work, what you are asking for. 

Switching frames is a gameplay convenience. We obviously have human(ish) bodies from what lore we have.

Because they're characters not avatars.

And answer to getting different genders is a big no, but getting frames with different gender but same theme might happen later. 

They're somewhere between characters and avatars.

See, I'm of the belief since the Mirage Quest that we are wearing frames modeled after the original Tenno who wore it, and in fact while we wear it inherit some of the personality of the person who wore it as long as we do - reminiscent of Eldar Phoenix Warriors from 40k. 

This ties into my Mastery theory.  Whenever you get a new warframe, you yourself are learning how to better use the powers, as well as learning to accept and or work past the personality of the first wearer. 

Edited by Gaminus