The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What People Don't Understand About U14 And Warframe's Design Ethic

U14 is a framework.  One that took a long time to make.

To all of you complaining about no new content, just remember all u14 has actually done.

A new UI
Vor's FREAKIN Prize

A better new user experience

Tamogatchi

The Obligitory addition of weapons and warframes

and last, but not least...

Quests and Lore. 

Basically... Everything we've been whining about for months. 

So... Why are you complaining?

Is it perhaps that you're bored of Warframe?  By all means, stick your Kubrow in the fridge and go play other games.  It's what I do. 

Just because the player count lulls between updates doesnt mean the game is dying.  It means people burn through the content... and is there anything really wrong with that?

Not really.

Are you complaining due to the fact that "DE DONE LIED TO US ABOUT KUBROWS!!!11!1!!eleven!!"

Are you really gonna pull that?

You have to be a damn idiot to let a Kubrow die.  it takes 20 days. 

TWENTY

DAYS

Count.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Twenty.

If you don't take care of your kubrow for twenty days, thats your fault.  Can't access your computer?

Give your account info to a friend.  A trusted friend, of course, and have them put your Kubrow in the freezer.

There you have it.

Twenty.

Days.

Is it because of Kubrows in general?

They're really powerful.  They can eat anything.  There will be drawbacks.  You have to take care of the kubrow and it'll take care of you - and besides, it's not like its difficult.  Need Stabilizers?  Run Sechura(or any other Dark Sector or Void) a few times.  Poof, there you have it.

And then there's the fact that if you don't want a Kubrow there's nothing making you get one.

Is it because nothing has changed?

Because really, not much can at this point.  Warframe is really what it is.  If you're completely burnt out, that's not really anyone's fault.  You get tired of games.  It's a fact.  I've gotten bored of Warframe, having played for about 1200 hours.  It's just life, Warframe isn't a bad game because of it....

DE might be godly, but they can't stop human psychology. 

Upset that RNG is still a thing?

Really, thats just gonna be this game's flaw.  Not a very good excuse, they could fix it, but every game has its crux, its Achilles heel.  Its weakness.  The RNG in this game actually isnt all that bad compared to others.

... Not to mention RNG will be more than mitigated by Quests!  For instance, there is 0% RNG involved in getting Mirage. 

Is it because the game's easy still?

Yeah, I don't like that either.  DE fix pls.

U14 is an amazing update that adds a great foundation for DE to build upon.  I look forward to whatever comes next in this game's development.

And one last thing...  Do take a look at solar rails.  They're quite fun now and I think that they'll be a big part in Warframe's future. 

No, it's because the new UI is objectively more awkward, less informative and less intuitive to use compared to the old one.

It's also immersive and has added a level of involvement to the game that was missing before.

Besides, is it just the UI making you quit Warframe?  I don't see the big fuss....

Edited by Gaminus

It's also immersive and has added a level of involvement to the game that was missing before.

Besides, is it just the UI making you quit Warframe?  I don't see the big fuss....

Visit the UI forum. Half the people are convinced PC players are being victimized, and the other half would prefer a spreadsheet for a menu.

Guest Tehnoobshow

Visit the UI forum. Half the people are convinced PC players are being victimized, and the other half would prefer a spreadsheet for a menu.

This. SO much this.

Immersion doesn't matter a damn if the thing doesn't work properly. And I'm not quitting, I'm just waiting for a way to release my Kubrows so I can get the last two I need for mastery.

The big fuss is, the new UI is just pretty for pretty's sake.

under the old UI, how would you go to the Arsenal? The Foundry? the Inbox? You'd click their respective button at the top of the screen. Now? You have to go through the unnecessarily-nested Escape menu, or spend time walking around the ship (which is fun the first few times but it's not a big ship and the novelty quickly wears off).

A lot of the UI problems, in my opinion, could be fixed in a few simple ways (which would all be contained in a toggleable option so people don't complain that they actually enjoyed the current awkward style):

1) Expand the initial ESC menu to show more things at once.

2) Whenever a screen is entered, ie the Mod panel or the Foundry, quickly fade to black and replace it with the pre-14 fullscreen version.

3) My own personal desire - the ability to change the lighting, background etc in the Arsenal for better colouring of frames and weapons.

But it fails at being a good UI.

a UI's goal should always be efficiency and this one is less efficient than the previous. I never wanted more "immersion" in my menu system, I wanted easy usability.

The railroad track : ---->      ------------

------------

This Thread's future : ------>           -----------  

---------\ \

\ \

\ \

*KABOOM*

AKA.  Just a friendly reminder to keep it Civil guys :-)  TY!

When you're not actually in a mission, immersion isn't really hugely necessary.

Previously, if you wanted to go from buying an item in the market to modding it immediately, you pressed the Arsenal button at the top of the screen. Now you have to close the market and either press Esc > Inventory > Arsenal or walk through your Liset to get to the arsenal manually.

To upgrade a mod that was installed on something, you clicked Mods, then Installed at the top, then you upgraded it. Now when you click Mods, it takes you to a screen with a separate subselector for fusion, selling, transmuting and viewing your collection, and half the time if a mod is installed on a sentinel or kubrow upgrading it forcibly uninstalls the mod and doesn't actually limit the upgrades to your available mod capacity as a result.

I like the style of the new UI, and I have no complaints about the new content, but the new inventory and arsenal management is just less convenient than it used to be. That isn't an arguable point, it objectively takes longer to do things.

No, it's because the new UI is objectively more awkward, less informative and less intuitive to use compared to the old one.

Get a PS4 and enjoy it for a few more days/weeks. That's pretty much your only option because DE has stated the old UI is never coming back.

------------

---------\ \

\ \

\ \

*KABOOM*

You will move this to the UI Feedback soon, as things are going.

Immersion doesn't matter a damn if the thing doesn't work properly. And I'm not quitting, I'm just waiting for a way to release my Kubrows so I can get the last two I need for mastery.

The big fuss is, the new UI is just pretty for pretty's sake.

under the old UI, how would you go to the Arsenal? The Foundry? the Inbox? You'd click their respective button at the top of the screen. Now? You have to go through the unnecessarily-nested Escape menu, or spend time walking around the ship (which is fun the first few times but it's not a big ship and the novelty quickly wears off).

A lot of the UI problems, in my opinion, could be fixed in a few simple ways (which would all be contained in a toggleable option so people don't complain that they actually enjoyed the current awkward style):

1) Expand the initial ESC menu to show more things at once.

2) Whenever a screen is entered, ie the Mod panel or the Foundry, quickly fade to black and replace it with the pre-14 fullscreen version.

3) My own personal desire - the ability to change the lighting, background etc in the Arsenal for better colouring of frames and weapons.

But it fails at being a good UI.

a UI's goal should always be efficiency and this one is less efficient than the previous. I never wanted more "immersion" in my menu system, I wanted easy usability.

Because:

Function>Frivolity

Let me show you the sheer beauty of Warframe's new UI.

User interfaces are meant to be easy to navigate, correct?  They're meant to imitate how you move about rooms in a logical manner, sorting through menus that are -hopefully- well thought out and placed.

DE cut out the middle man.  Need to go to the arsenal?  One step to your right.  Need a Kubrow cuddle?  Dont be daft, man!  Go over there and just cuddle your Kubrow!

Immersive, Simple, and Beautiful.  Everything you could ask from a UI - and it's all in your worldspace, right there in the same space as your character.

------------

---------\ \

\ \

\ \

*KABOOM*

I love the mods on these forums.

When you're not actually in a mission, immersion isn't really hugely necessary.

Previously, if you wanted to go from buying an item in the market to modding it immediately, you pressed the Arsenal button at the top of the screen. Now you have to close the market and either press Esc > Inventory > Arsenal or walk through your Liset to get to the arsenal manually.

To upgrade a mod that was installed on something, you clicked Mods, then Installed at the top, then you upgraded it. Now when you click Mods, it takes you to a screen with a separate subselector for fusion, selling, transmuting and viewing your collection, and half the time if a mod is installed on a sentinel or kubrow upgrading it forcibly uninstalls the mod and doesn't actually limit the upgrades to your available mod capacity as a result.

I like the style of the new UI, and I have no complaints about the new content, but the new inventory and arsenal management is just less convenient than it used to be. That isn't an arguable point, it objectively takes longer to do things.

One point covered earlier, the others are legitimate.  DE fix pls.

Edited by Gaminus

The fact that a developer has the balls to engineer something catered towards a console rather than the pcmasterrace shows so much gumption I can't even be bothered to care about all the whining from these new UI haters.

The funny thing is, Ye Olde UI wasn't suited towards console or controller players. The new one puts everyone on pretty much equal grounds since it's not geared specifically for mouse users anymore.

Personally, I like it. It's not quite as quick as the old one but that's because your immersed in an actual space now rather than kneeling in netherspace. Your mouse controls your view rather than a cursor. If you truly cannot stand that, drop the game from your life. Clearly you are too petty a person to accept change and since this game is constantly changing, it's not going to suit you.

Edited by Kestral9999

its just a few clicks more quit dieing

it just needs a few aspects made more In ur Face  as well as removig the intermediary mods action selection scree. i can see how not having collection fusion and xmute readily avail from one menu could rustle jimmies. other than that i dont see what the big deal is