Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Cat Weighs 18 Pounds.

SquirmyBurrito

I just got around to weighing the three of them. And my heaviest cat is 18 lbs. He is heavier than the other two cats combined (an 11 pound female, and a 6 pound male who is just as long as the 18 pound cat in the picture).

Two low-quality cellphone pics for your eye-irritationentertainment:

pGQ936w.jpg

LYK9oKX.jpg

Edited by SquirmyBurrito

Depending on it's overall build, and how much of that weight is fat (due to poor diet, high calorie treats, lack of exercise), it'll definitely cause joint issues down the road. Best to try to tackle that now before you have to get into supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin) , and then eventually veterinary aid.. Ingredient panel wise, veterinary foods are S#&$, and will generally lend to a host of other problems.

Laser pointers for the win.. Also foods containing potato, or pumpkin will allow the cat to feel full longer.

Portioning foods also helps.. When a cat is a kitten they should be free to eat to their content, once they are in adulthood they should be portioned if possible.. Life stage based foods exist as well and can help.

Depending on it's overall build, and how much of that weight is fat (due to poor diet, high calorie treats, lack of exercise), it'll definitely cause joint issues down the road. Best to try to tackle that now before you have to get into supplements (glucosamine, chondroitin) , and then eventually veterinary aid.. Ingredient panel wise, veterinary foods are S#&$, and will generally lend to a host of other problems.

Laser pointers for the win.. Also foods containing potato, or pumpkin will allow the cat to feel full longer.

Portioning foods also helps.. When a cat is a kitten they should be free to eat to their content, once they are in adulthood they should be portioned if possible.. Life stage based foods exist as well and can help.

Thanks for the advice. I have been considering getting a laser pointer for a while now, I just don't know where I can get one that is worth spending money on (the gas station ones are usually so weak that they only work in darker areas). 

I would attempt the portioning thing if it wasn't for one of our cats being severely underweight (6 lbs, but just as long as the fatty). We aren't sure why he did, but a while back he just started shedding weight and he now just looks like skin and bones. So we keep food out at all times and encourage him to eat whenever he wants. Because of this Murphy (the 18 pounder) is never without a source of food.

My cat weighs 13 pounds, and that's minus a leg.  He's not fat, he's just muscular, he'll move someones arm or grab a foot as someone walks by and trip them so he can lay on them and demand attention.  It's hilarious to watch.

Thanks for the advice. I have been considering getting a laser pointer for a while now, I just don't know where I can get one that is worth spending money on (the gas station ones are usually so weak that they only work in darker areas). 

I would attempt the portioning thing if it wasn't for one of our cats being severely underweight (6 lbs, but just as long as the fatty). We aren't sure why he did, but a while back he just started shedding weight and he now just looks like skin and bones. So we keep food out at all times and encourage him to eat whenever he wants. Because of this Murphy (the 18 pounder) is never without a source of food.

If your little cat is losing weight like that, you might consider getting him checked for worms.  One of the things the vet suggested for my cat, Tank, after his amputation was to give him canned cat food.  
Edited by Noamuth

My cat weighs 13 pounds, and that's minus a leg.  He's not fat, he's just muscular, he'll move someones arm or grab a foot as someone walks by and trip them so he can lay on them and demand attention.  It's hilarious to watch.

If your little cat is losing weight like that, you might consider getting him checked for worms.  One of the things the vet suggested for my cat, Tank, after his amputation was to give him canned cat food.  

My cat (the skinny one) used to be super muscular. And it just sorta disappeared after we moved him to a different house. Since then we have brought him and the other cat that was with him to our main house where he will receive more attention and (hopefully) put on some weight. If his weight doesn't change soon enough a trip to the vet will definitely be scheduled.

Was it a front or back leg that was amputated?

My cat (the skinny one) used to be super muscular. And it just sorta disappeared after we moved him to a different house. Since then we have brought him and the other cat that was with him to our main house where he will receive more attention and (hopefully) put on some weight. If his weight doesn't change soon enough a trip to the vet will definitely be scheduled.

Was it a front or back leg that was amputated?

Front right.  He lost a fight with a roommates dog. : /

Edited by Noamuth

Yeah.  Doesn't slow him down though, he still opens all kinds of doors, drags stuff around the house and picks fights with the neighborhood cats.  When he's not stuck in a tree.  

All three of my current cats aren't smart enough to open our doors, not even our pocket doors lol. I don't let any of my cats outdoors anymore. All our outdoor cats ended up never coming back. I'm fairly certain people in our neighborhood 'adopted' them, but I have no way to prove they're mine (with one exception, but I haven't seen her around). I don't trust these people or their dogs.

All three of my current cats aren't smart enough to open our doors, not even our pocket doors lol. I don't let any of my cats outdoors anymore. All our outdoor cats ended up never coming back. I'm fairly certain people in our neighborhood 'adopted' them, but I have no way to prove they're mine (with one exception, but I haven't seen her around). I don't trust these people or their dogs.

I don't usually let Tank out, but my roommates aren't as concerned with him getting out as I am.  : /  That and he knows how to open the screen door now.  

It's scary how smart my cat is, he used to ring a bell to go outside.  I never taught him that!

I don't usually let Tank out, but my roommates aren't as concerned with him getting out as I am.  : /  That and he knows how to open the screen door now.  

It's scary how smart my cat is, he used to ring a bell to go outside.  I never taught him that!

I've noticed that cats seem to vary wildly in intelligence. I've had cats that were smart enough to open doors, and I've had cats that were too stupid to lay on the brakes, resulting in many head on collisions with a wall. The bell thing is amazing. None of my cats have ever been on that level.