Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Grineer Boss Concept] Lightning Arm Guy (Art Update 2-4 Zbrush Body Blockout)

Syncrasis

tumblr_naj757GZld1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_naw3vaO6zN1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpgtumblr_nao90q4Vxh1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbe0rtMAIg1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

His left arm is a lightning cannon. It spins up slowly at the base, where it meets the black part (which is the character’s forearm right before the elbow). It would be spinning pretty quick in its open stage. Two parts are shown, but there would be three if I were to 3D model this.

Sometimes he stabs you with his little stabby-stab that’s attached to the hinge joint on his wrist (he can flip it back when he’s not using it) and electrocute you that way if you get too close. He has three giant capacitors on his back (they’re shaded darker). He can run pretty quick.

Personality-wise, he’s kind of twitchy like an insect. He’s missing half his brain, which has been augmented by machinery, and often has digital artifacts in his voice. Because he has no lower lip, he has trouble with certain sounds, like F and M, and has a slight tendency to spit.

The lightning arm can function as a cannon and as an area of effect weapon, electrifying everything in the room. He’s a bit over-zealous with this weapon because of his high energy levels (ha-ha), paranoia, and thinly-veiled fear of the Tenno. 

Primary weapon: Lightning cannon. Can fire large blasts or area of effect. Relatively long charge-up and spin-down time.

Secondary weapon: Electric wrist dagger. Connected via hose to capacitors on his back. 

Movement: Relatively quick for a boss. Tends to jump, has erratic motions, can sprint short distances. Must stand still for area of effect blast from lightning cannon. Twitchy, runs away often.

May plunge into fits of hysterics when hit with powerful attacks. Explodes upon death.

Additional ideas or changes welcome! 
Edited by Syncrasis

Ah yes. Lightening arm guy.

The grineer names pale in comparison to lightening arm guy.

Vor. 

Vay Hek.

Lech Kril 

Kela De Thaym 

Tyl Regor

Lightening arm guy

Lol going from grineer language, wouldn't it be closer to

"Litnen Ar Gy" since they tend to 'stupify' common English?

XD yes! I can see it now, the lotus introducing this boss to us...

"Tenno, the grineer have built up a new weapon, there is no information yet for what it could be, we only know that it has the ability to conduct electricity,  I have placed the maker of it's location on your map, go there and destroy it..."

*tenno engage into cutscene"

"Tenno you have located the weap- wait what is that...The weapon... is that... LIGHTNING ARM GUY?!?"

Lightning Arm Guy: "It appears you have found me Tenno... Welcome to my labratory... You shall all face your death eventually... it just so happens it is today! *shoots lightning bolt into the air* "

Lotus: "Tenno, be cautious, that lightning arm guy looks really dangerous..."

Edited by oPANDAFRAMEo

/disgusting laughter

Oh my god you guys are awful. You're right: In my inability to name this character, I have accidentally stumbled upon the best name of all!!!!

In all seriousness though, I was considering the name Veskar, the "ves" being part of "vespine" for wasp. I am not sure it sounds Grineer enough though. What do you guys think? Leskar sounds good to me too. idk

I like it. I think I would like to see more ideas possibly? Maybe some variations on the elctro-cannon and his capacitor. He is looking good though. Maybe you could do some colours too?

Yeah, I'd like to revisit the gun. I have a few more ideas about a more interesting, more complex unfolding mechanism that might look much cooler. And I'd like to see what I can do to make the elements on his back look more like wasp wings. Originally I wanted a lot of the elements to look a bit like paper wasp structures, very organic, layered, some of it mimicking paper tubules etc. In my head, his colors consist of brick reds, bright goldenrod yellows, and probably at least two tones of gunmetal. Bit of olive green or tan here and there. 

I wonder if there is something I could do with additional weapons to make him more wasp-like...? He already has a stinger, but maybe some sort of swarming device, an infested pistol or something?

I think I'll do a third pass before I consider modeling him and definitely get the weapon nailed down because I never do weapons and it makes me nervous hahaha.

Glad you guys find him intimidating! How exciting!!!

Ok, so I've had a revisit of the gun and started playing around with ideas about how it might be animated. Here is the new silhouette

tumblr_naisuddHfK1qdt0m6o2_500.jpg

...And the animation.

tumblr_naisuddHfK1qdt0m6o1_500.gif

I am not an animator so it's a bit... squishy. I'm trying to bring in a few more insect elements by making the arms of this weapon move like insect legs. What do you guys think? 

I am thinking about possibly making the "legs" twitch a bit during full charge instead of spinning at the base, just to drive the theme home. Maybe have it only spin up right before a cannon shot or something?

Maybe he would be a random boss, like sometimes on Grineer ships you just run into him, and he is just called Lightning Arm Guy because you do not know his name, so you name him after the most obvious feature.

Also +1, dude is awesome and I would love to farm him.

Updated the lightning cannon with final detailing, I'll have to make a few more orthographic views before I jump into Zbrush with it though. Looking forward to making my first shooty-shoot pew pew weapon!

Well, maybe more like zappy-zap. 

tumblr_nao90q4Vxh1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Still debating on how many iterations it should have. Three is fun because as soon as you add that, you start being able to move them like fingers, but two is nice because of the symmetry and pincer motions. I'll make sure to try a bunch of configurations when I get the model put together.

My goal is to get the character and weapons as functional as possible to throw into Unreal Engine 4, so I'll continue updating this thread with my progress.