Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Most Favourite Mathematical Formula?

Renegade343

I was wondering if anyone has his/her favourite mathematical formula from his/her time of doing math, and would like to share it? 

Personally, I like the binomial distribution formula. Easy to use, and a heck of a lot of fun to play with. 

My most favourite formula?

Well that is tough..... How about TOA, CAH and SOH along with all the triangle formulas? Also binomial distribution is fun too =D

Third-order nonlinear partial differential equations.

I lied. It's Pythagoras's theorem. Differential equations, especially third order and up, are positively nightmarish especially when solving by hand.

Liek this if you cry everytim you have to solve a differential equation.

Man off topic is getting wild tonight! (today for some)

Don't have one. Never was good at maths. terrible at it.

Although graphs and such was about as fun as it could get for me.

Hmmm dem exponential curves.

If ya know what I mean. *wiggles eyebrows at a comically absurd speed*

I'll see myself out.

Edited by StinkyPygmy

Just for the amount of time it has saved me I have to go with the Quadratic Formula. I wrote a program in my calculator to solve it for me given the constants in an equation and it has saved me from so much factoring. I hate factoring. 

I lied. It's Pythagoras's theorem. Differential equations, especially third order and up, are positively nightmarish especially when solving by hand.

Pythagoras theorm eh?

I can actually manage that!

I am not a numbers man.

Really? Differential equations are really easy to play with though. 

Mine is the simpler ones I think

The more complex ones are fun and such but this one just appeals to me ^^

pi*r^2   Yeah I know, primary school stuff but hey ho XD

Primary school stuff he says...

Uh.. the one where you take this number.. and this other number.. and then.. uh..

OH! That one is my favorite too!

Liek this if you cry everytim you have to solve a differential equation.

Differentiation is ok, i like doing implicit differentiation but i hate to prove differential equations using limits, those are things i could never get to be honest. 

don't have a question now, but whenever one has to prove that a differential of say sin(x) is equal to -cos(x) using limits, that is where i get stumped.

I remember doing that. Those limit proofs were the bane of my existence.

What are the limits? This would be fun to do when I am bored. 

I am quite bad at my math at the moment, but limits is like allowing x to approach a certain value where f(x) would be infinity if x was that value. Say limit -> x  to 1 where f(x) is equal to (x^2 - 1)/(x - 1). If you let x = 1 you would realize you would get 0/0 which is an undefined number, well it should technically be 1 however any number divided by 0 in mathematical theory is equal to infinity.

So you let x = to any integer value close to 1, an example is 0.5 and the other x value to be greater than 1 at 1.5. The value that f(x) would be if it was 1 using limits should approach 2 but never be 2. Thus you just solved for limit x -> 1 where f(x) is equal to (x^2 - 1)/(x - 1) is 2.

I remember doing that. Those limit proofs were the bane of my existence.

Gah save me from proving dy/dx [sin(x)/Cos(x)] = tan(x) I can't take it anymore!

Edited by Jacate

I am quite bad at my math at the moment, but limits is like allowing x to approach a certain value where f(x) would be infinity if x was that value. Say limit -> x  to 1 where f(x) is equal to (x^2 - 1)/(x - 1). If you let x = 1 you would realize you would get 0/0 which is an undefined number, well it should technically be 1 however any number divided by 0 in mathematical theory is equal to infinity.

So you let x = to any integer value close to 1, an example is 0.5 and the other x value to be greater than 1 at 1.5. The value that f(x) would be if it was 1 using limits should approach 2 but never be 2. As you just solved for limit x -> 1 where f(x) is equal to (x^2 - 1)/(x - 1) is 2.

No. I already know what limits are. What I mean is for that question you gave me, what are the limits?