Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Oberon Now Worth It Since Update 14.5?

Monybags33

As the topic asks is "Is Oberon Worth It" period? Back in the old days Oberon would be stuck as one of the worst frames of his time simply because his skills lacked the punch and healing power of some other heavy hitting Warframes that did much better then he did (I'm looking at you Rhino and Trinity). I was a fan of Oberon and sadly built him only too be un-impressed by his lack of skills while my other frames could do mountains better than him, so has Oberon improved since then you Tenno think or is their still room for improvements?

What all did they update?  I only saw his armor was updated, which was the least of his problems, imo.  

Don't get me wrong, I never thought Oberon was as bad as the rest of the community (maybe because I know how to play to a Frame's strengths), but I will agree he was in need of some buffing due to being consistently outclassed by other frames.

If you like playing on Oberon, it's obviously worth it.

What all did they update?  I only saw his armor was updated, which was the least of his problems, imo.  

Don't get me wrong, I never thought Oberon was as bad as the rest of the community (maybe because I know how to play to a Frame's strengths), but I will agree he was in need of some buffing due to being consistently outclassed by other frames.

Is it so hard to read the patch notes yourself?

Oberon Changes:
Armor:
• Oberon’s base Armor increased to 150.

Smite:
• Projectiles that are spawned after impact seek-to-target, not just spawned in direction.
• Speed up projectiles by 50%.
• Forced Radiation proc on the initial target.
• Forced Knock-down on initial target instead of stumble.
• Forced Puncture proc on all enemies hit.
Hallowed Ground:
• Allies within Hallowed Ground can not be proc’ed.
• Hallowed Ground will remove all existing procs from Allies.
• Armour boosted by 5/10/15/20% per rank for all Allies on Hallowed Ground, with stacking being explored on multiple casts.
Renewal:
• Switch to toggle ability with smaller base cost and energy per second active drain. All Renewal benefits occur when projectile reaches target ally.
• Boost Heal amount 200/250/300/400 per rank.
• When target is fully healed, remove any active proc effects.
• Allies affected by Renewal have slowed bleedout by 20/25/35/45% per rank. This is affected by duration mods. 
Reckoning:
• Forced Radiation Proc added to damage on targets.
• Small radial blind added to slam impact, but only for enemies that survive the damage of the cast. This radial blind will be applied to enemies that move into range after it’s been cast and are blinded by the impact of those being slammed by Reckoning!
Edited by PeanutMonster

Well... It depends... Goat Simul8ter just got a huge BUFFalo.

P.S. How does the blind work? I've never seen it happen!

Enemies who were pounded AND survive now produce a radial blind which can affect enemies whom weren't pounded in the first place, but only if they wandered into range.

Edited by Dresden_

as someone who plays him alot, i must say i have seen a large change. one most of his moves now apply radiation, which is nice, his smite which was a a crappy one hit projectile not knocks down the target and its extra projectiles lock on, allowing him to irradiate large groups.  hollowed grounds can now remove some things from his friends, his heal gives more time to bleed-out, and removes things from fully healed friends, and smite now apply radiation and a blind effect to those who live

So far I'm not super happy with the buffs. I feel like he needs a proper rework and tacking on a bunch of shiny things isn't going to fix him. I happen to love how he looks though, so I'm going to keep playing with his #3. If I feel like it's useful now I'll forma him into a #3 build just cuz.

1) is OP for leveling him now. Rad + Homing on Apollodorus = easymode XP.

2) Stops procs and buffs armor now if people stand in it, but I don't know that the game is slow enough for that to be valuable to a group. Maybe if you plan to melee a lot on defense or in some specific location, like against infested or with a Radial Disarm Loki around. Armor mods are not used by most people though, certainly not Loki's, and it's hard to stay in once place against infested with their new osprey mobs making toxic clouds.

3) I don't really understand. They say it's a toggle now, but then they say all effects happen when they reach the target... Is it just the bleedout that is the toggle? Supposedly it cleanses procs if it heals past 100%, but procs only last like three seconds and some are instant so with the timing on that, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

If it's actually a toggle that constantly cleanses procs and constantly does a HoT it could be worth it for a lot of content, but it's kind of a catch 22. If you have to micromanage it because of high power cost then it'd be annoying and hard to make useful. If you can leave it on all day, it'd be like playing a frame with no skills. No gameplay and incentive to conserve power.

4) Same as before. It blinds enemies that are slammed and their allies around them if I read it right, but it's inferior CC on inferior damage for inferior power cost. I can't see a way to make a build with it that's competitive with other frames in the same role, and I can't see a way to use such an expensive power with his other skills. Maybe just as an OH SHI- button on a utility build? But an expensive one...

My 2¢ right now, but it's a new change.

Still going to play with it.

Edited by VKhaun

His problem before was that he was a mix between average damage and unreliable healing. He now has all kinds of utility.

Smite procs all the people, while still dealing a decent sum of damage.

Hallowed Ground is now a safesone, which protects you from not only procs, but knockdowns (grapples included) and disruptor auras.

Renewal will keep teammates alive, even if they are receiving sustained damage or are already down.

Reckoning still kicks &#!, while crippling the things it doesn't kill.

Took him into a group mission with no power altering mods on just now.

Looks like the note about 'all done when it reaches the target' is just saying they don't lose HoT time. If someone is right next to you and is healed for 200hp over time before the projectile reaches another person farther way, I think it hits that second person for the 200 when it arrives, then starts the hot on them as well so that everyone gets equal healing regardless of distance. Distance just creates the delay.

The toggle turns itself off if everyone is at 100% with no procs on them.

Hallowed Ground is now a safesone, which protects you from not only procs, but knockdowns (grapples included) and disruptor auras.

If it stops Knockdown, disruption and grapples I will definitely use it.

Need to go to Eris and see if it stops toxic fields... If we're talking about standing in a field to stop knockdown and disruption that's definitely an infested application, but it'd be detrimental to stand in said field if it were a toxic wasteland. Efficiency nightmare mod reduces duration so I would think it'd be hard to run #3 and keep laying fields without running out of power on just Streamline, but I'll check it out.

I keep thinking there's synergy with equilibrium and his 4 (power from hp globes), but you'd need a lot of kills and you'd have to be very hurt to actually see a net gain in power after paying the cost to cast the thing.

Edited by VKhaun

If it stops Knockdown, disruption and grapples I will definitely use it.

It does. Tested it yesterday with a friend on Xini.

The disruption sound still plays but you lose no energy. You're also immune to a bunch of Eximus auras (like the knockback from the Caustic Eximus aura). Parasitic aura still drains though.

As the topic asks is "Is Oberon Worth It" period? Back in the old days Oberon would be stuck as one of the worst frames of his time simply because his skills lacked the punch and healing power of some other heavy hitting Warframes that did much better then he did (I'm looking at you Rhino and Trinity). I was a fan of Oberon and sadly built him only too be un-impressed by his lack of skills while my other frames could do mountains better than him, so has Oberon improved since then you Tenno think or is their still room for improvements?

Biggest changes would be : 

- Smite know force proc a knockdown on your primary target along with radiation proc and faster projectiles

- Hallowed Grounds removes any negative effects from allies, prevents effects from occuring as long as you stand in it and gives a bonus to Armor

- Renewal is a toggle ability which heals over time and removes statues if you're at 100% Health

- Reckoning procs radiation on all targets and blinds anyone close for a short time.

So yeah, I'd say his changes are pretty good

Well... It depends... Goat Simul8ter just got a huge BUFFalo.

P.S. How does the blind work? I've never seen it happen!

+1 well done

and to OP: yes, especially if you want an experience different from the godframes and still want to be useful

It does. Tested it yesterday with a friend on Xini.

The disruption sound still plays but you lose no energy. You're also immune to a bunch of Eximus auras (like the knockback from the Caustic Eximus aura). Parasitic aura still drains though.

Confirm + stops toxic from ospreys. Just tested on an Eris exterminate.

That's a game changer right there. If it stops EVERYTHING then I will consider Oberon with a 2+3 build something worth pulling out for a lot of missions, especially pugs. Over tank the hell out of him with Marathon for blocking VIPs. Give him a utility aura. Yeah... I got sum forma'n to do...

Edited by VKhaun