Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anyone Worried About The Ebola Disease Wiping Out The Human Race?

zavienh5

In fact, Ebola is almost too lethal for its own good, it can kill in less then 8 hours in many cases.

The danger behind it is that because its causes you to basically liquefy from the inside you and up hemorrhaging and spraying blood everywhere allowing the virus to be more effectively spread. .....

Out of all the virus's out there, I'd be more concerned with the common cold, OP.

Theres more chance you could die from that then there being an outbreak of Ebola.

Not all cases of Eola result in the external blood hemorrhaging, even though it is common.  Which is another reason it tends to spread, people don't always realize that a person died from Ebola and treat the body correctly.  On of the biggest reasons that this outbreak has been worse than others is that it hit in more densely populated areas, unfortunately including some areas that would be considered slums where the level of hygiene is relatively low.

As for areas outside of the affected region, you are more likely to be hit by a car, so I wouldn't even worry about it. 

Edited by ClockworkSpectre

As for areas outside of the affected region, you are more likely to be hit by a car, so I wouldn't even worry about it. 

Like I said earlier, if anything's going to wipe out the human race it's going to be ourselves. Modern medicine has moved way past the point where a human-to-human disease can cause any major damage.

Like I said earlier, if anything's going to wipe out the human race it's going to be ourselves. Modern medicine has moved way past the point where a human-to-human disease can cause any major damage.

Or a really big meteor strike. Very unlikely, but that is still one possibility. 

Or a really big meteor strike. Very unlikely, but that is still one possibility. 

True. Personally, I'd place my bets on nuclear war happening before a big meteor strike. Maybe that's just bias on my part, but it just seems to be the more likely of two equally-unlikely ends.

Yellowstone Park erupting could also lead to worldwide poverty(while coating America in ash). 

More likely, possibly as devestating.

Still not wiping out the human race though. I mean, worldwide poverty could be solved by us, but probably with a very long time (and besides, I am betting that people in the Middle East/Africa would probably have less casualties than other places, based from the distance between it and Yellowstone Park. So definitely not wiping out the human race, but probably setting back quite a few things). 

Still not wiping out the human race though. I mean, worldwide poverty could be solved by us, but probably with a very long time (and besides, I am betting that people in the Middle East/Africa would probably have less casualties than other places, based from the distance between it and Yellowstone Park. So definitely not wiping out the human race, but probably setting back quite a few things).

who knows ;)

I just saw some projections on this recently. The only countries that would get directly affected are the US and Canada, barring direct neighbors everywhere else would be just fine. However, that doesn't take into account the economic aftermath, which could be severe. That's entirely survivable though.

yellowstone-ash-1-jpg.jpg?w=600

I just saw some projections on this recently. The only countries that would get directly affected are the US and Canada, barring direct neighbors everywhere else would be just fine. However, that doesn't take into account the economic aftermath, which could be severe. That's entirely survivable though.

yellowstone-ash-1-jpg.jpg?w=600

Does the map account for wind?

Because if it erupts on a windy day, I will bet that Mexico and a bit of South America would be affected with ash as well. 

Does the map account for wind?

Because if it erupts on a windy day, I will bet that Mexico and a bit of South America would be affected with ash as well. 

According to the thing I read, that's with standard air currents taken into account. On a really windy day you could probably push that out to Mexico, but not down to South America. Ash is too heavy to be carried that far.

Basically, if you're living anywhere but North America you'll be fine.

Ebola can be easily contained as it spreads through bodily fluids. So if nothing goes wrong with containment procedures, it won't spread any further and hopefully (and this gonna sound really dark) the people who are infected with it die off.

As for the super volcano, it can't destroy life entirely but can cause a HUUUGE set back on progress for humanity.

According to the thing I read, that's with standard air currents taken into account. On a really windy day you could probably push that out to Mexico, but not down to South America. Ash is too heavy to be carried that far.

I would think on a windy day, the ash would probably just reach a little tip of Columbia. So still a little bit of South America, but a very little bit. 

I would think on a windy day, the ash would probably just reach a little tip of Columbia. So still a little bit of South America, but a very little bit. 

Considering the vast majority of the world's population would be totally unaffected I wouldn't really put that as a "wipe out the human race" event. 

ok...now Ebola is starting to tie with a erupting volcanoe lol

Nowhere near. This is going to sound horrible, but while Ebola may be a threat in underdeveloped countries, it's pretty much non-threatening in developed ones.

There is China for a cushion for lessening the magnitude of crippling the world economy. 

Eh, losing the US would be a major blow. The midwest has a lot of our industry, all that would get crippled.

Eh, losing the US would be a major blow. The midwest has a lot of our industry, all that would get crippled.

China could sustain itself for a while (and maybe others too), since it does have the industries that Midwest would have (granted, with the food scandals in both China and Taiwan, there is that fear of relying mainly on them for food). 

Then again, China just tends to copy other products and replicate it (but with modifications just to evade lawsuits), but they started to create their own products too, so the world economy would not really be that crippled (but it would have quite a lot of economical problems with the US being tossed around with Yellowstone Park erupting). 

Basically, if you're living anywhere but North America you'll be fine.

Well we do have the Jet stream the circles the earth

In Egypt, that's probably our biggest killer. Hell, crossing the street is our national sport - no traffic lights, no traffic-men-guider-thingies, no nothing.