Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Lets Talk About Bosses

Rollerlane

Boss Battles are extremely important to a game, they should provide a memorable experience to the player, a challenge and yet frustrating AND fun at the same time. Not Warframe. (except for Lephantis, Lephantis is the S#&$.)

Warframes bosses are full of bad design and poor game mechanics are just plain not good, lets go through them one by one, shall we?

Captain Vor / Corrupted Vor: This is the first boss the player must fight, and hes actually not that bad, you shoot him a bit, he goes behind some sort of bubble shield where he cant be hurt and summons more grineer troops to help him, then you shoot him again, repeat untill he is dead. Captain Vor isnt much to talk about, because he is a pretty standard boss and his battle is similar to SO MANY other bosses in video game history that i couldnt list them all. Corrupted Vor is the same story only he appears randomly in the void, and is much stronger.

Gen. Sargus Ruk: OK, this guy isnt that much of a problem but still quite annoying. Gen. Sargas Ruk is only slightly taller than the player (by about 1ft. maybe less) and the only way to damage him is to shoot directly into the open spots on his armor when they are open. The problem is, these spots are really small. so you need to get close, combine that with his cheap attacks, one of which is a knockback with a GIGANTIC radius (literally half of the room) oh, and he takes extremely reduced damage. All these together make for a long, and boring fight. This boss is one of many bosses that arent fun.

Kela De Thaym: This boss is just pathetic because she dies in 20 seconds. Not fun.

Lt. Lech Kril: DE, Fire the person that designed this battles. Lt. Lech Kril is one of the most poorly designed bosses i have ever seen. Let me explain why, when you enter his mission (either on Phobos fighting along side Captain Vor, or on Ceres as his own boss) the fight consists of you having to wait an extremely long period of time before you can even damage him. Yes, you have to WAIT and do NOTHING. Basically, you have to wait for his cryo-pack on his back to break twice before he changes to some @$$ backwards fire form (seriously?) then you may damage him. the thing is, his cryo-pack only breaks after he slams his hammer into the ground and it freezes him solid. (you may also damage him while he is frozen but it only last for less than a second) and guess how often he slams his hammer down? NOT OFTEN ENOUGH. I have tried multiple times to get his battle to speed up faster, but to no avail. also when you can damage him he dies in 10 seconds. NOT FUN NOT FUN NOT FUN!

Tyl Regor: Probably the most normal boss, you just shoot him untill he is dead. not fun.

Councilor Vay Hek: This boss is fine, he has multiple stages and has no rediculously cheap attacks, just a good strong boss thats a challenge and not boring. Fun!

now onto the Corpus bosses;

Alad V. / Zanuka: This one is just.. annoying, BUT you can beat them pretty fast if you have a team that knows what they are doing. So for this boss battle, Alad V. sits in the corner shooting/blinding you, while his pet Zanuka bashes you with all it has. The way to beat this boss is to down Alad V. then as Zanuka goes to revive him, melee the ever lasting S#&$ out of him, then Alad V. automatically dies after you kill Zanuka. while this doesnt seem like it would be annoying, if you are going in alone, its extremely, EXTREMELY difficult, and even if you do have a team, its just plain not that much fun to kill these losers.

Jackal: Shoot him till he's dead not fun. also cheap @$$ attacks like homing rockets that go under the ground to hit you (this is a bug, but is extremely annoying) and a pound attack where he slams his mechanical leg on the ground to create a shockwave, if you fail to dodge the shockwave it will send you flying back down a 5ft insta-kill hole where it will respawn you right next to him, where you will not have enough time to get up again and he will shockwave you right back into the hole, causing you to be stuck in an infinite loop of death unless you have a teammate take his attention away from you. Not Fun. Like, @(*()$ seriously.

Raptor: He's a flying Osprey that you can only damage when his wings are out, hes not that bad but hes also not fun.

Sgt. Nef Anyo: shoot him till hes dead not fun

Ambulas: shoot him till he- ok you get it by now

Hyena Pack: 4 hyenas (basically just 4 smaller jackals) with each own special attacks and auras. honestly these guys are pretty sweet, but disappointing, they are a challange no doubt about it, even with a team, and they are extremely mobile and walk on walls and stuff, this is cool! BUT their attacks are.. ehhhhh. really @(*()$ weak. and they dont really pose a threat at all except for 2, one with an extreme slow aura and hits you with an ice attack that makes you even slower, and another whose fire attack does a lot of damage. but once you take out the ice variant, the fire variant is easy to dodge. i wont say this boss isnt fun just a little disappointing.

now time for the Infested bosses;

Phorid: ... shoot him till hes dead.. not.. fun.

Lephantis: THIS GUY @(*()$. KICKS. @$$. This is one of the coolest and most fun bosses i've ever fought in any video game. He has a @(*()$ F*** TON OF HEALTH and his attacks MAKE ME S#&$ MY PANTS WHEN I BARELY DODGE THEM. the only problem with this boss is that it requires players to craft a special Derelict Assassination key, which requires five Golem Nav Coordinates; items only obtainable though Derelict missions; missions which require regular Nav Coordinates found in normal missions. This is @(*()$ bull. S#&$. one of the coolest and best designed (actually, the only good and not poorly designed) boss in the game and you have to craft S#&$ to get to him. which takes a S#&$ long time to craft.

FINAL VERDICT: Warframes bosses are pathetic and need to be completely reworked, except for Lephantis, who needs to be easier to get to for players to actually have fun.

Edited by Rollerlane

One other issue with most bosses is also the ability to CC them for the entire fight, and how do to poor scaling can be almost one-shot by most "Veterans".

Other issues:

Lephantis: Lephantis is a fun fight to be sure, but the second phase of the fight is a complete downgrade to the first phase. Lephantis's A.I. is a bit wonky when it comes to targeting players, and for a majority of the fight he'll be shambling back and forth around the arena trying to hit you with the Grineer head, while the other two heads try their best to attack the other players who are constantly shifted in and out of their range/view. 

Tyl Regor and Lt. Lech Kril: These guys are slow. Painfully, mind-numbingly slow, which is terrible considering how they're seen as the "Melee" bosses. Tyl Regor has no really big combos, and his one "special attack" is just a Slash Dash that he'll most likely miss or get to use once before dying/being CC'ed. Lech Kril's hammer swings and movement speed are so slow that only the most unattentive of players will ever get hit by them.

Oh and FYI Lech Kril freezes himself whenever he uses any ice powers while his backpack is broken, not just the hammer slam.

Bosses who are not CC-Immune are just absolute jokes who will most likely never get an attack or shot off before being frozen/rendered helpless.

Only bosses that need rework(and trust me, a lot of of the same bosses have been reworked that others are too old) are kela de thaym, ambulas, nef anyo, and phorid, tyl regor is being reworked on now too.

Trust me, you don't want a boss to be stronger than you, it just ruins the whole "Ultimate protector" race idea

Bosses≯You

In all honesty, most bosses could be made better by replacing their invulnerability with about a billion extra health.

Weak spots would do massively increased damage in order for kill time to remain steady.

The killability and time to fight bosses stays much the same, but then you have something to do in the downtime between weak phases and it gives the boss a sense of terror.

Also you don't have to wait for Krils backpack thing to break, you are meant to shoot it yourself causing it to break.

Only bosses that need rework(and trust me, a lot of of the same bosses have been reworked that others are too old) are kela de thaym, ambulas, nef anyo, and phorid, tyl regor is being reworked on now too.

Trust me, you don't want a boss to be stronger than you, it just ruins the whole "Ultimate protector" race idea

Bosses≯You

Well what is the point of having bosses if they arent stronger than you?

I mean if their power is just average they are just regular units with names.

Bosses≯You

You also don't want the bosses, who are either war machines or top-ranking officials in their respective Faction, to be seen as an absolute joke. 

The way I view it if they're in that high of a position they must be quite powerful, and if nothing else outfitted with tech almost rivaling a Warframe's.

In all honesty, most bosses could be made better by replacing their invulnerability with about a billion extra health.

Weak spots would do massively increased damage in order for kill time to remain steady.

The killability and time to fight bosses stays much the same, but then you have something to do in the downtime between weak phases and it gives the boss a sense of terror.

Also you don't have to wait for Krils backpack thing to break, you are meant to shoot it yourself causing it to break.

Thats all well and good till you realise you have to farm that mofo a large amount of times before getting warframe parts you need.

Thats all well and good till you realise you have to farm that mofo a large amount of times before getting warframe parts you need.

It seems you missed the point about weakpoints giving massive dakage in order to keep the killtime the same.

Bosses would be effectively the same as they are now, but if you were so inclined you could bring a Nova/rhino/Banshee/mirage team with boltor primes and wipe said boss out without the fuss of waiting for their phases