Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rebecca Needs Some Acting Lessons...

Kyotra

I'd be happy to do some voice work for Warframe, as I'm rather well with manipulating my voice but I live in another freakin' continent. (And I don't have any past projects that I have worked on to use as experience.. Because I need experience. Because I need to find a position somewhere. With experience.)

Lotus is fine, it's Sargus Ruk however that needs some patching.

"WHERE.... IS... THIS... SO.... CALLED..... TENNNNNNO........ HONOOOOOOOOOR?"

Edited by Stanley64

Actually, I have a little more to say about Lotus. I strongly favor leaving Rebecca's voice, without the audio post-processing, for Lotus. It's a beautiful voice. The fact that Rebecca has not put a lot of emotion into the voice is consistent with the name, Lotus, which is also a position used in meditation. It's not supposed to be emotional. Also, I like the possibility that Lotus in not necessarily a 'good guy' or even a friend. The voice of Lotus is one of the few things in this game that I feel is just right.

As to Rebecca herself, when you deal with her you need to bear the following in mind:

- She's busy; she may not have assimilated the entirety of the fact pattern

- She's intensely loyal to DE. If you construe your issue as being you vs. DE, you lose.

- She's just a normal person. Don't expect to be dealing with Lotus when you deal with her.

None of this is to be construed as criticism, not even constructive. It just is. I was not successful in my dealings with her. But she is still a really awesome voice for Lotus.

Well said. Pretty much this.

Leave the Lotus alone.

People want things to be as they imagine them to be. AIs are not supposed to be fully emotional and totally human sounding.

Rebecca does a GREAT job as Lotus. And when she is not BEING the Lotus?

She is a person.

I know, I know. She cannot be both. But I had the privilege of meeting Jennifer Hale once. (Voice of Female Commander Shepard from Mass Effect and Female Trooper from SWTOR) She sounds almost NOTHING like that in real life, but she is a WONDERFUL person.

Edited by Kalenath

All the OP really critiques is the actual scenario where maybe the nuance could be different. 

While I have not heard this particular line, it suffices to say that the lines fit very well within the universe. I like how they do the lotus, as a cold machine. It makes me feel like she is really connected to every tenno, and has traded her "humanity" to help us. 

As for the post processing, it is done very well. I am an audio engineer with very well trained ears, and personally I have not heard many post processing effects that can pull off what this does. 

Really, the issue with your "critique" is more about one line, but you jump straight to "Get lessons!" which is not really the issue. It would have been better to just suggest the line be re-recorded. 

Edited by Skullriot

AIs are not supposed to be fully emotional and totally human sounding.

1.) Ordis begs to differ.

2.) We have no idea if the Lotus is even an AI.

3.) Emotional or not, she still sounds like a highschool drama student who has to read straight from the script.

1.) Ordis begs to differ.

2.) We have no idea if the Lotus is even an AI.

3.) Emotional or not, she still sounds like a highschool drama student who has to read straight from the script.

1.) Ordis is not Lotus

2.) Wouldn't matter, different characters can have different temperaments and styles

3.) Now you are just making personal insults instead of real critiques. Grow up.

I know, I know. She cannot be both. But I had the privilege of meeting Jennifer Hale once. (Voice of Female Commander Shepard from Mass Effect and Female Trooper from SWTOR) She sounds almost NOTHING like that in real life, but she is a WONDERFUL person.

Wendee Lee (Faye Valentine - Cowboy Bebop, Haruhi - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya) also sounds nothing like her characters in her relaxed voice. Generally voice actors that have many many credits under their belt have very varied character voices. She actually sounds more similar to her Faye voice, but far less sultry. 

Edited by Skullriot

Reb Ford is good as she is. Period.

I like the Lotus voice. The way it's all solemn . And upto the point. Thank god it isnt any male guy who's leading us with the Demonic-robotic huff voice...

Lotus is love Lotus is life.

Lotus_logo.png

She protects us from the sun:

613ckAp9nTL._SL1500_.jpg

And whats best, her voice is so sweet, that she even made a chocolate company from it.

logo_new1.jpg

Site: http://www.lotuschocolate.com

With that said, I like dat voice.

Okay, I need to make a list, there is a lot to address in this thread:

1.) Despite my disclaimer, you guys are still taking this as a personal attack. Well guess what? Professional critique can be brutal in it's honesty, and it hurts. If you can't suck it up and deal with it, you'll never improve.

I hate [insert race] people. Disclaimer: I am not being racist.

See the problem? Obviously that was a more extreme example, but it has the exact same problems as you being upset that people don't find your response respectful just because you said it wasn't disrespectful. Personally, I don't think your post was that bad, although I think the title could be edited to seem less aggressive. Maybe "Rebecca Would Benefit From Acting Lessons" or something that doesn't make what she's done sound awful otherwise. Same goes for the initial line, which is what people see when they are still coming up with opinions on your post.

On point, I think those Mirage Quest lines would've been hard for most actors to do. Rebecca seemed to be trying to play an emotionless character suddenly connected to an emotional past. Since most people aren't emotionless ever, I imagine it would be hard for Rebecca to draw a reference point to that situation. I'm sure acting lessons would help, however, especially if DE intends on going back to the past of the Lotus.

Edited by (PS4)WiiConquered

I hate to be picky but... the new record lines aren't as good as old ones.

Ex: When she tells you Boss Lore.

"General Sargas Ruk has become problematic...." vs "Watch yourself, foot-soldier are on their way"

Sometimes in Mission with Flame Hyenna I disliked one line VERY MUCH. It was with bad tone "Watch yourself!".

Other than that Rebbeca, you're doing a good job being Lotus.

It makes sense for Ordis, your Tsundere Cephalon, to be all emotional for you, but the Lotus has probably seen hundreds of Tenno die before she could even warn them of the Roller coming for their face - I doubt it affects her as much as it does Ordis that you get hurt.

Ordis is supposed to be your caretaker, the Lotus, your Director.

-snip-

Revenge of the Sith is perfect proof of bad acting + poor dialogue.

The only gripe I have with the voice acting in the game is how much it changes. Look at older Warframe Profiles and listen to Lotus' voice, or compare Ordis now to the Ordis in the Archwing teaser.

They're all fine, just inconsistent.

Odd.  I thought the voice acting in that scene was absolutely perfect.

Even if we were to assume lotus is an emotional human, it's still not a scene she should be having a lot of emotion in her voice in. 

It's a memory from hundreds of years ago, of one soldier, by an entity who's been dealing with death over and over again across centuries, which she is recounting to her current soldiers.  This shouldn't be an emotional breakdown.  It's a painful memory that's been dulled by hundreds of years.  There shouldn't me much emotion left it.

It should have that cold distance that time grants to bad memories, and a very subtle undertone of loss.  And that's it.

That's exactly what she did.

Whether or not this could be classified as a personal attack fades in light of the fact that's it's simply wrong.

• Like 1

Yeah gonna have to agree with the general consensus about the OP not having much manners.

While it's good to critique, talking down in such a way is not good at all; especially when you're in no position to be a critic.

That said: The Lotus sounds perfectly fine to me. She's not SUPPOSED to sound extremely emotional. We're not entirely sure WHAT she is, but it's pretty obvious that she's been around for many, many, many years - ever since the Orokin era. What's cool is that certain things she says truly does show emotion; like when you're attacked by G3 and escaped. However her voice on its own is not supposed to directly show such emotion. Notice how Alad V and Sargas Ruk and so on all are VERY emotional. The Grineer are loud, pompous, powerful, rage-filled. Corpus are a bit more subtle, mechanical, yet at the same time Alad V's performance shows very, VERY little restraint. Very condescending and in some moments, pitiful and almost screaming at the Tenno for their transgressions.

The Lotus shows Balance. She doesn't rage; doesn't complain, doesn't even crack a smile voice-wise. Her voice shows a Balance between the voices we hear from the other factions. Sure, it'd be interesting to hear her frantic or depressed. But that's not what she represents, and not what DE wanted to convey. Though, if you had done the Mirage quest, you'd eat your words, OP. That was some great voice acting on Rebecca's part. Even when the Lotus is supposed to be even toned, there was a feeling of true sadness underneath those monotone vocals.

I'd be happy to do some voice work for Warframe, as I'm rather well with manipulating my voice but I live in another freakin' continent. (And I don't have any past projects that I have worked on to use as experience.. Because I need experience. Because I need to find a position somewhere. With experience.)

Lotus is fine, it's Sargus Ruk however that needs some patching.

"WHERE.... IS... THIS... SO.... CALLED..... TENNNNNNO........ HONOOOOOOOOOR?"

Nah Sargas was awesome. He talked like that because the Grineer are practically mutations of their former selves, and they both A: don't use English as their first language anymore (or ever?) and B: their minds and bodies have undergone so many cloning experiments and cyborg-like implants/changes that eventually it would effect their breathing, their vocal chords, their way of thinking, etc. I believe Sargas was one of the Grineer that did a TON of battle-oriented augmentations to his body, thus his voice probably wasn't on his mind when he did them.

But hey that's just my opinion.

Edited by SoulEchelon

Thought aside that OP is quite being rude against rebecca...

Lotus doesnt need to be emotional in such a situation, in all the decades, how many tenno you think she had seen fade away? how many she had lost. She might cant get used to it (Akame ga Kill reference^^) but I think after the 100 ( or maybe 1000th? who knows how many of us have died just in the old war)do you really think she wouldnt have build up an ,,emotional wall'' or that she wouldnt have trained herself to stay serious?

Rebecca did a great job, period.

OP, prepare to be the most hated man in the Origin System.

Peter Dinklage gets a bunch of flak for a sub-par performance as the A.I. in Destiny, but "oh no don't pick on Rebecca she's trying her hardest youresomean".

Peter Dinklage gets a bunch of flak for a sub-par performance as the A.I. in Destiny, but "oh no don't pick on Rebecca she's trying her hardest youresomean".

Wow.... or you could just say "My bad" and move on... 

Criticism is something constructive, and your criticism was more opinionated. To offer real criticism you must provide objective views instead of what you think it should be. 

Take in, for a moment, the game's setting and environment place. Warframe takes place in a solar system that is being ripped several new ones by the participating warring factions. Lotus, to me, seems like the type of person who has lost a lot during this war: friends, family, allies, etc., and has likely gotten used to it without it affecting her personality. She's all business, no pleasure, and I think that's fine. She doesn't want any attachments, but only to get the job done as efficiently as possible. If she loses more Tenno in the field, it sucks but that's the life of a soldier; you can't have attachments without risk. People die in the field, and the ones emotionally attached to the diseased take a heavy blow each time.

When you repetitively lose someone important in life, it leaves a scar. Assuming Lotus is not some AI (her monotone would make some sense if she was) with no feelings or emotions, then her Rebecca's voice fits perfectly. Lotus is there to guide the Tenno, not to cradle them. If they die in a mission, Lotus can't be weeping for days or weeks. She has a job to do, a solar system to save, and there can't be room for tears.

No emotions, no attachments, only results.

this guy or gal nailed it to the T.

lotus strikes me as, a veteran who has simply shut down, and exists simply to play the game as it were,

yes tenno will die, tons even, yes the blood would be on her hands,

but during war of this level,

you  mourn the dead later, right now you have job to do.

emotions affect judgement, some people can shut off emotion to high level to do things.

some cant

leaders cant afford to get to emotional

theirs is a much bigger game