Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Early Game Weapons In My Opinion And Why.

CRAFTTHIS

Question

First off before you continue I would like you to know that these are based off my opinions, and play style, weather or not the following weapons are good stat wise compared to other weapons is out of the question and also do remember this is my opinion for earlier gameplay so they are kinda accessible to newer players.

My first choice of sidearm would be the Vasto (when going from the pea shooting lato)

Why: I like the vasto because it feels nice, the fast fire rate and damage compared to the lato made it in my opinion the lato with a lot more kick to it while retaining the accuracy and "clip size feel". Despite having only 6 rounds it reloads FAST, not only that but its a reliable reload, combine with increase overall compared to the lato this was my weapon of choice after the lato.

(i did not choose the mangus, because i personally did not like the increased reload time and noticeable recoil which makes a bit of a hassle to line up headshots compared to the vasto

Melee: galatine

why: That thing is freaking HUGE, also the resources can "easily" be obtained, if you have the cleaving wirlwind you are all set.

Main: Karak, lateron, hek

karak: a nice starting asult rifle, a upgrade from the braton or mk1 braton

Lateron: for the midrange sharp shooter, who likes headshots, its a nice fire rate, think lato ish fire rate, with more damge and better range

Hek, nice starter shotgun

20 answers to this question

for primairy, the hek potential only show if modded and need a mastery of 4 to unlock it. The strun seem a superior choice mostly if you just start, mostly if your modless.

For the secondairy, I would say get the aklato then grab the seer pistol as soon as you can. It should be strong enough to carry you and get the akvasto.

as for melee, I belive the dual heat sword might be a good choice because of heat damage (good against infested early), no mastery requirment and alright stats.

for primairy, the hek potential only show if modded and need a mastery of 4 to unlock it. The strun seem a superior choice mostly if you just start, mostly if your modless.

For the secondairy, I would say get the aklato then grab the seer pistol as soon as you can. It should be strong enough to carry you and get the akvasto.

as for melee, I belive the dual heat sword might be a good choice because of heat damage (good against infested early), no mastery requirment and alright stats.

AkLato is a horrible idea. Ever since U14, the AkLato actually does LESS damage than the Lato (Lato was buffed, AkLato was not). Even if the oversight were fixed, the AkLato wouldn't really offer much over the regular Lato (they fixed AkLato doing double Lato damage per shot a while ago).

AkLato is a horrible idea. Ever since U14, the AkLato actually does LESS damage than the Lato (Lato was buffed, AkLato was not). Even if the oversight were fixed, the AkLato wouldn't really offer much over the regular Lato (they fixed AkLato doing double Lato damage per shot a while ago).

Not at all, maybe is true it slightly do less damage but you have a lot's more ammo capacity, earn mastery rank and should be good enough to get the seer pistol.

I'd suggest Lex and AkLex, when I was on my 2nd weapon mastery test, I failed 2 times with lato, once I got Lex I nailed it, it's a good sharp shooter weapon too, and you can upgrade it with the Lex p when you reach the void level 

Edited by Kenshin98

I don't see how this should be in Players Helping Players if it's based on your opinion. Strange why this wasn't in General Discussion.

I think Karak or Braton is good enough.

Galatine's not suited for lower levelled players because they don't have the mods to make it decent. Maybe Kronen because the stance is fairly easy to get and I've seen tons of MR3 players have it

Edited by izzatuw

My starting weapons set (including frame) is:

Mag frame

Lex sidearm

Strun primary

Nami Solo melee

The Mag is great with the Lex as a ranged weapon and the Strun as the in-yo-face weapon.  The Lex/Strun/Mag combo was good enough to allow me to farm for the Nami Solo resources.

Also: I spent plat on the Glaive and am very happy with it, but I excluded it from my starting weapon set since I figured we were mentioning early-going weapons with blueprints that can be purchased on the market instead of just found.

I did it very differently.  

I bought the braton early, and upgraded to both a boltor and a karak depending on what I was fighting, and from there to sobek (which is my favorite weapon so far) and from there to phage (hard to use but amazing dps) and am now trying other stuff as I can get it.

Melee, I do well with dual swords and bought the dual ether early.  Those worked well for me.  I found a glaive blueprint somewhere and I use that sometimes, mostly for its very hard hitting thrown attack as it stinks in melee.  Currently using nami/skyla but I have  dual heat to craft when I get to it.  But I do a lot of basic melee (press e to one shot the butcher or green corpus or wade thru infested).   If its extra stubbon I do a jump attack on it.  I am not coordinated enough to do the sliding running wall jumping death ninja melee stuff. 

Sidearm, I have yet to beat the seer.  I found vor easy to kill early on and solo farmed him for it.  It suffers from POI issues up close (the point of aim is correct out in the distance but up close it is actually shooting way off to the side.  I use a sword or primary weapon if they get that close).  I use something else if I am going to be hauling a datamass around but mostly I just run seer as a sniper rifle alternative.   I also really like the kunai, though they are hard to make.  The MK1 is a very, very good starter choice -- silent kills, high damage, very fast reload -- only issue is learning to aim a little high; that is what I used at first. 

Early on, your best weapons are the Karak, the Lex, and the Orthos.

These are the weapons that can take you to the outer planets and into the void.

Midgame, there are a lot more options. Also, leveling mastery will dictate constant weapon changes and will (or should) give you a lot of experience with different weapon types. Once you know what you like, you can start farming for the prime weapons that float your particular boat.

As an aside, the Grakata isn't a poor man's anything. Truth be told, it's even more material and mod sensitive than the Soma. They both use the same sorts of mods and both require a fairly deep mod base to hit their stride. In addition, to really push the Grak, you'll need even more forma than the Soma typically requires.

Early on I went from the Lato to the Seer, and then from the Seer to the Bolto. 

The Bolto can be built early having no mastery requirement and is quite good. The two neurodes can be farmed on Earth and the orakin cells from Vor on Mercury. For a new player the Bolto is a definite win which will make short work of mobs on the early planets even with junk mods.

As an added bonus you'll likely get a Cronus blueprint while farming Vor.

For a primary the Braton is a big upgrade over the mk1 version and a decent early gun.

The Latron however is the primary weapon I wish i'd crafted when I was low mastery rank, this imo is a great primary weapon for new players.

Edited by MM209

If you have Cleaving Whirlwind, you probably have access to better melee weapons than the Galatine.

For primaries, your goals should be Karak, Grakata, or Paris. All are fairly easy to obtain and will still perform well. Latron is also an option.

For secondaries, Lex is usually the first upgrade you get.

The first available 'end game worthy' weapon is the Akbolto, but it's rather expensive to craft. I always recommend working towards it steadily, Lato->Bolto->Akbolto. When XP gain outstrips resources/build time for that chain, I swap in to a Lex/AkLex for mastery. All of the above pistols are excellent against Grineer.

Once you have the Akbolto (and assuming you like it) you can start dropping in a catalyst and forma to have a powerful weapon to bring along to challenging content. It also doesn't require any Corrupted mods to build properly, just stuff from Nightmares which aren't too difficult if you're careful.

The Karak is a very solid early game AR; the Grakata is nearly as powerful as the Soma and because it's crit based, you can drop in PS+VS at Rank 4-5 rather than needing to level a higher Serration/HCal like other weapons require to get the same damage. Plus you'll need the mods when you get Soma/LatronP/Sybaris etc anyways. Grakata is especially nice if you have event mods as it gets a significant effectiveness bump from the high proc rate.

I usually go MK1->Karak->Latron (MR)->Strun (OMG this is powerful now) -> Grakata. Maybe Boltor thrown in instead of Latron or Strun, depending on whether I plan to level shotgun mods or not. 

I try to be leveling the Karak and Strun while on the early Corpus planets, as the base Impact helps a lot.

Ever since U14, the AkLato actually does LESS damage than the Lato (Lato was buffed, AkLato was not).

They broke a lot of crap with that update. For example, I can't stand that my Strun Wraith is basically the same as the Strun. On the other hand, the Strun is fairly overpowered now against low level Corpus (with a durable frame ofc).

I think OP needs to clarify 'lower level players', so far his advice is mostly unattainable for MR0-3 players and from MR4 it's unimpressive as by then you should have a proper arsenal to call on.

imo stick with the first gear you get until it's fully levelled, and choose it based on play style.

Bo/Skana

Braton/Paris(only if you are VERY familiar with third person sniping and consider yourself adept, otherwise this thing's a liability)

Furis/Kunai

take it to the top and then buy it's non MK1 counterpart. open planets, farm resources and mods and just deal with your armoury until you've got a couple Mastery Ranks under your belt, you're part of a clan, can trade and have a good amount of resources.

the game is brutally hard on resource management at the start. you'll jump in, check some blueprints and then an hero over the resource cost. well, by the time you've got to MR4 you should have enough planets/nodes unlocked for specific farming, maybe an extractor, and the cost of building a shiny new Latron won't give you nightmares.

so my advice is to choose your starting gear wisely, then focus on creds, resources, opening planets and unlocking bosses and Mastery Rank instead of weapons. the amount of time and energy an MR1 player will have to put into something like a Galatine is HUGE, yet at MR6 you should be able to build 2 a day just for s**ts and giggles.

Edited by d1sc1p1e