The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Makes Me Uneasy; It Feels Uncomfortably Close To Jumping The Shark.

duenor

I've been asking for you to list how Mr. Peanut matches whatever example you are using at the moment and all you reply with is, "It matches just because."

The fact that you cant list anything shows how solid your argument is. 

Mr. Peanut is a silly magician, he is Mandrake the Magician inserted into the game.

Arguing opinions goes nowhere.

As both of you have no solid proof. Ember being a pheonix is as subjective as Limbo being  badass gentleman.

Trying to shove down the notion that he's a gimicky magician is futile as his abilities don't even involve magic, they're centered around rift walking. Could it be done by using Magic? Perhaps, but then again, i can use that excuse for every other frame.

Edited by cozzi21

@ cozzi21 ... you are touching on a really important point about Limbo, namely his Lore

His quest is called a "theorem" and it consists of a jumble of "equations"

If we are to take that literally then what DE is saying is that Limbo's real ability wasn't "magic" in the traditional sense - it only appeared to be magic

Making what seems to be one thing "appear" to be another thing is a legitimate form of "magic"

What Limbo's true ability was his understanding of the fundamental structure of reality - it's physical underpinnings - the governing equations

In that regard I REALLY LIKE this character because Limbo is now a homage to Arthur C. Clarke as much as anyone/anything else

I've been asking for you to list how Mr. Peanut matches whatever example you are using at the moment and all you reply with is, "It matches just because."

The fact that you cant list anything shows how solid your argument is. 

Mr. Peanut is a silly magician, he is Mandrake the Magician inserted into the game.

The above poster covered all points.

You can't prove he's a gimmicky magician any more than I can prove he's a badass gentleman. 

And I've already listed plenty of things he could be, to which you responded "lol no". So yeah, try again.

I don't have Limbo so I speak only from what I've seen when others use it and media. So take everything I say with grain of salt.

Limbo looks great. After Oberon and Hydroin it's nice to see less bulky and buisy design. And victorian-esque design looks pretty cool. In short I think Limbo's design is good. (Exept feet. I see something is attached to his feet. It's allways feet.)

But, what I think is a problem, his theme is implemented lazily. When I saw Limbo for the first time, my immediate reactin was: warframe themed stage magician and not stage magician themed warframe. At least likes of Mirage, Hydroid and Oberon feel like warframes first and foremost no matter how overwhelming their themes are. With Limbo there doesn't seem to be that very special somethin that makes warframe a warframe. Like artists took silhouette of victorian era gentleman and painted it in. No real effort went in to it.

I dunno. I'll wait and judge properly when I get him. Four days left.

And just as an aside, the frames are characters. 

Source plz!

Source plz!

I recall on one of the devstreams, they referred to each warframe as a "character" when talking about the gender option, how they gave each one a unique personality through design and animation. Not sure if that counts anymore given we can swap idles, but still.

Arguing opinions goes nowhere.

As both of you have no solid proof. Ember being a pheonix is as subjective as Limbo being  badass gentleman.

Trying to shove down the notion that he's a gimicky magician is futile as his abilities don't even involve magic, they're centered around rift walking. Could it be done by using Magic? Perhaps, but then again, i can use that excuse for every other frame.

Stage magician have tricks where they make people disappear and appear again, they have tricks where they have people disappear and appear somewhere else. What does Mr. Peanut does? He make people disappear! He is a freaking magician!

Stage magicians use the rift just like Mr.Peanut does if you want to get silly about it.

And Ember's first alt helmet is called, guess what? Pheonix!

The above poster covered all points.

You can't prove he's a gimmicky magician any more than I can prove he's a badass gentleman. 

And I've already listed plenty of things he could be, to which you responded "lol no". So yeah, try again.

Im asking for a detailed list of attributes that matches the examples you name.

You listed Jack the Ripper..... and i ask you to explain how he matched a serial killer and you didnt.

Gentleman badass describes how a character acts, read your link. Mr.Peanut is a piece of equipment, it is not THE character. The Tenno using it it is THE character.

I was very excited when the thread on the Void sorcerer came up on DC, all that time discussing on what a sorcerer entailed, I can´t help but feel my expectations betrayed a little bit, as a see sorcerers as a different concept than magicians; i do like the void magic theme, and the powers Limbo has, but I´m in general for any media not a fan of the gentleman features.

I don´t take the word ninja seriously, but warframe are still tactical combat exoskeletons.

Zephyr is not a bird, I know they don´t mean it literal, but on closer inspection some of her parts resemble more a fish, as someone who studied design for a while I know inspiration often comes from nature in this case even for flight mechanic purposes as such I see Zephyr as a congruent design that integrates the movement of fish and bird into a flying frame in a interesting package that screams of an alien design.

Also know Oberon is not literally a goat, and he doesn´t have literal hoves, he has normal feet cleverly design to give the semblance of goat legs, and the armor on the back of his hands not only gives the semblance of hoves but also reminds of ninja gauntles that were made to hide the intention of the hands. 

In general warframes themes are well integrated in a discreet and clever manner, while Limbos has more obvious features and what could be seen as a literal hat the way he tips it and plays with it.

I´m not raging about this, but I do feel a bit put off about it.

Im asking for a detailed list of attributes that matches the examples you name.

You listed Jack the Ripper..... and i ask you to explain how he matched a serial killer and you didnt.

Gentleman badass describes how a character acts, read your link. Mr.Peanut is a piece of equipment, it is not THE character. The Tenno using it it is THE character.

Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Badass, Jack the Ripper, Hatfield.

A cultured individual, almost always depicted wearing a top hat and suit. They are dangerous, always proficient in violence when they choose to use it. 

That's the stereotype we're talking about here. I'm not saying he's exactly Jack the Ripper, as you seem to misunderstand. Jack the Ripper is simply one example of a dangerous person in a top hat. You fixate on that one example, obviously to try and prove me wrong somehow, completely missing the reason I gave it.

And if you're saying that the theme of a frame and the personality it displays are unrelated, then your whole argument falls apart too. A warframe is not a weapon like a gun or a sword, for all intents and purposes it is an extension of the tenno underneath. 

Edited by vaugahn

I don´t take the word ninja seriously, but warframe are still tactical combat exoskeletons.

Zephyr is not a bird, I know they don´t mean it literal, but on closer inspection some of her parts resemble more a fish, as someone who studied design for a while I know inspiration often comes from nature in this case even for flight mechanic purposes as such I see Zephyr as a congruent design that integrates the movement of fish and bird into a flying frame in a interesting package that screams of an alien design.

Also know Oberon is not literally a goat, and he doesn´t have literal hoves, he has normal feet cleverly design to give the semblance of goat legs, and the armor on the back of his hands not only gives the semblance of hoves but also reminds of ninja gauntles that were made to hide the intention of the hands. 

In general warframes themes are well integrated in a discreet and clever manner

So a warframe that has bird like features(Yes, those layers are to resemble feathers) and has air like abilities including flight is discreet, but you have a problem with a warframe that has a trench coat and a top-hat that is nearly mistakable as a part of the whole warframe unless you see his idle animation?

Stage magician have tricks where they make people disappear and appear again, they have tricks where they have people disappear and appear somewhere else. What does Mr. Peanut does? He make people disappear! He is a freaking magician!

Stage magicians use the rift just like Mr.Peanut does if you want to get silly about it.

And Ember's first alt helmet is called, guess what? Pheonix!

Using your logic, he is not a magician as he as he performs parkour, weilds massive weaponry, because i'm fairly certain magicians don't do that. He doesn't even make the enemies disappear, you can still see them.

Stage magicians also use the rift? You mean their acts go into another dimension during their act? By all means i don't even see how something that cool is a joke.

And also using the alt helmet logic

608bca76c4.png

Limbo IS based around the image of a void sorcerer. I mean, if embers pheonix helmet proves she was based around a pheonix, then I guess the same would apply to that wizarding hat.

And also

2cdvqk2.png

I'm certain, it was just a coincidence. Certainly

Edited by cozzi21

Arsene Lupin, Gentleman Badass, Jack the Ripper, Hatfield.

A cultured individual, almost always depicted wearing a top hat and suit. They are dangerous, always proficient in violence when they choose to use it. 

That's the stereotype we're talking about here. I'm not saying he's exactly Jack the Ripper, as you seem to misunderstand. Jack the Ripper is simply one example of a dangerous person in a top hat. You fixate on that one example, obviously to try and prove me wrong somehow, completely missing the reason I gave it.

You are using completely unrelated things.

The first is a thief... dont see how this matches this frame.

The second is a character concept which has nothing to do with equipment.

The Jack the Ripper example is a caricature. 

And the last is.... a cowboy?

You are essentially talking about the clothing pieces and lumping them together for i dont know what.

And none of these people are warriors. Was the last one the cowboys?

And if you're saying that the theme of a frame and the personality it displays are unrelated, then your whole argument falls apart too. A warframe is not a weapon like a gun or a sword, for all intents and purposes it is an extension of the tenno underneath.

And when you learn TaeKwondo you move in a different way than you did when you use Karate.

When a Tenno puts on a Rhino he will, of course, not use his Mag-fu style he will use his Rhino-fu.

BTW, if you know TaeKwondo or Karate you dont magically turn into a Korean or a Japanese person.

You are using completely unrelated things.

The first is a thief... dont see how this matches this frame.

The second is a character concept which has nothing to do with equipment.

The Jack the Ripper example is a caricature. 

And the last is.... a cowboy?

You are essentially talking about the clothing pieces and lumping them together for i dont know what.

And none of these people are warriors. Was the last one the cowboys?

Hey, a phoenix isn't a warrior either. Guess Ember doesn't belong in the game.

Oh wait, almost every frame theme is, by your definition, totally unrelated!

Wow, it almost seems like your critiques are totally arbitrary and meaningless. 

So a warframe that has bird like features(Yes, those layers are to resemble feathers) and has air like abilities including flight is discreet, but you have a problem with a warframe that has a trench coat and a top-hat that is nearly mistakable as a part of the whole warframe unless you see his idle animation?

My problem is with gentleman or magician features in actions heroes and all games, comics, movies; I find them a bit silly, I understand that  is my opinion and won´t force it on others but I´m still free to give it. 

But here I was mostly pointing out what I think is a slight difference in the conceptualization of the frame.

But here I was mostly pointing out what I think is a slight difference in the conceptualization of the frame.

I respect your opinion, but I think the themes of the frames you mentioned are just as, if not more obvious than what Limbo implies based on appearance alone.

Using your logic, he is not a magician as he as he performs parkour, weilds massive weaponry, because i'm fairly certain magicians don't do that.

That's why there are folks that dont like him, a magician running around as a soldier is stoooooooopid.

He doesn't even make the enemies disappear, you can still see them.

I didnt say he was a good magician.

And also using the alt helmet logic

608bca76c4.png

Limbo IS based around the image of a void sorcerer. I mean, if embers pheonix helmet proves she was based around a pheonix, then I guess the same would apply to that wizarding hat.

The alt helmet doesnt prove this, this was further proof for you folks now trying to say that the frame with bird feet all of a sudden didnt really match the profile of a bird on fire.

BTW, do you know the name of the helm? It's called Aristeas. Do you know who that is? A Greek dude that kept disappearing.

And i guess this Greek dude wore a pileus from time to time. What's a pileus, you say? A pointed hat used by the Greeks ! PLADAOH!

And what the hell is a "void sorcerer"?

And also

2cdvqk2.png

I'm certain, it was just a coincidence. Certainly

Indeed, pure chance.

Hey, a phoenix isn't a warrior either. Guess Ember doesn't belong in the game.

Oh wait, almost every frame theme is, by your definition, totally unrelated!

Wow, it almost seems like your critiques are totally arbitrary and meaningless. 

Of course a Phoenix isnt a warrior, that's a term that stands for a human combatant. Phoenix arent humans. 

But warriors often take the appearance of animals in the hope to take in the animal's kick &#! attributes.

What kick &#! attributes is some one trying to take in dressed as a stage magician?

The attribute to mindfreak you?

I respect your opinion, but I think the themes of the frames you mentioned are just as, if not more obvious than what Limbo implies based on appearance alone.

The line of tought i followed is that Zephyr and Oberon don´t have literal wings, feathers or hoves but abstractions of those concepts made into pieces of armor while Limbo sports his literally as a hat even if it actually has a function contrary to Vauban¨s so called beret.

The line of tought i followed is that Zephyr and Oberon don´t have literal wings, feathers or hoves but abstractions of those concepts made into pieces of armor while Limbo sports his literally as a hat even if it actually has a function contrary to Vauban¨s so called beret.

Yeah, this I understand. His theme is a little more literal than previous frames. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is subjective I guess.

What kick @$$ attributes is some one trying to take in dressed as a stage magician?

The attribute to mindfreak you?

Wow, all those examples were totally lost on you, weren't they?

I'm done. There's only so many times I'll bang my head against a brick wall.