Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limbo Makes Me Uneasy; It Feels Uncomfortably Close To Jumping The Shark.

duenor

Another poster said that I had misused "jump the shark". Perhaps, in a specific sense. However, the core of this game (in my humble opinion) is that of a grim struggle against inexorable foes where long sleeping forces (the Tenno) are called upon to restore the "balance". This is a galaxy far, far away, and a long long time ago/in the future. 

In my opinion, it's hard to say Warframe is moving away from this "core", when said core never really existed. 

Even in the original series of frames, we had some goofy ones. Part of Warframe's charm, in my opinion, is that it doesn't seem to try too hard to make things "badass". I think Limbo is a more obvious stand-out than the others, and that may put some people off. But it's definitely not indicative of some sort of grand shift in Warframe's tone. Consider that we got quite a few other new art assets this update, and none of them are under fire for being thematically inappropriate. 

Basically, it comes down to two points: the tone people think we're moving away from never really existed, and one funky frame design does not a tone shift make.

I like how everyone is complaining about Limbo without noticing Nekros or acknowledging him. Theme and look-wise, Nekros is very... dark, edgy and necromancy-y... Everyone's so hung up on Limbo's looking like a silly hat doffing magician when we already have a necromancer frame that couldn't be further from being a space ninja if he tried.

Edited by MetroFallout

Limbo is a wanderer who passes in and out of the rift. Honestly his look fits his abilities: foreign and uncommon with the setting. Don't forget oitside warframe we have the joker, serial killer clowns, and once a crime fighting magician on a saturday morning cartoon.

Actually everytime i pull something into the rift with limbo whith akbolto/magnus/vasto or marelok i think

courtesy-davidszondy.blogspot.com_.jpg

Edited by VengefulFenrir

All I know is I'm not gonna question the outfit of a guy who can throw me flying into the void to die cold and alone, if he's feeling generous.

But that's just me.

Also, guys, let's be real here. When was the last time we actually had a ninja frame? Hell we have frames such as Valkyr that couldn't be further from ninja if they tried.

Edited by Kealani

i got hyped when they say its going to be a magician
and im imagining it would look like this

Sage.jpg

but instead we got

4928.jpg?2

lel, but limbo might get better visual styles when it gets primed
soon. u40

EDIT: O WAIT MAYBE THEY'LL ADD GOLDEN HATS. WAIT WHAT.

Edited by Ritchel

i got hyped when they say its going to be a magician

and im imagining it would look like this

Sage.jpg

but instead we got

4928.jpg?2

lel, but limbo might get better visual styles when it gets primed

soon. u40

That second picture makes me want to wish for a cane blade. Maybe have them stand like rhino here for the standing still position. 

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/468668938055990473/BCA984124B15CD9BAD8194780E553A18C2641AAD/

I just dont like that hes wearing a tuxedo. I find it hard to to take him seriously as a warrior when hes wearing a tux. All of the other designs, even though they arent ninjas, look like something someone would fight in.

Never heard of a battle butler? Kicking &#! and looking like a gentleman is nothing short of pure class.

i think its time to get back to our dark ninja warrior roots 

with mirage and now limbo we have gone full circle and reached the pinnacle of incongruousness themes and borderline goofy novelties 

we are ready now to delve back into the world of the fearsome warrior, the dark horse, the gladiator, the disciplined bushi, the cold blooded assassins and berserking battlebastard 

the players yearn for something a little more direct, more sharp, more violent but most of all a little more tenno 

we are ready DE - we want to feel like warriors again 

The next frame is a confirmed female gunslinger.

Ya know, wild west with a cowboy hat.

Yee haw !

The Warframes are for the tenno inside, Limbo manipulates the planes of existence (i.e the rift), what does it matter how he dresses as he crossed worlds nearly everytime you use him?

So by your logic, you would be completely fine with a fat Warframe with smeared clown makeup and a long sausage shaped nose, just as long as his abilities use his big nose to sniff out enemies or his fat belly to slam into enemies?

It's an extreme example, but you can't really deny that Limbo doesn't thematically fit the theme of the other frames. He is the goose in a circle of ducks.

So by your logic, you would be completely fine with a fat Warframe with smeared clown makeup and a long sausage shaped nose, just as long as his abilities use his big nose to sniff out enemies or his fat belly to slam into enemies?

It's an extreme example, but you can't really deny that Limbo doesn't thematically fit the theme of the other frames. He is the goose in a circle of ducks.

So... Rhino? Just put the nose on his crotch.

Limbo doesn't fit the theme of other frames? Every frame has his/her own unique theme, nobody except DE can exactly say what does and what doesn't fit the game, DE never had some strict theme policy where each frame must be serious or what not.

vaugahn, on 31 Oct 2014 - 04:03 AM, said:

In my opinion, it's hard to say Warframe is moving away from this "core", when said core never really existed. 

Even in the original series of frames, we had some goofy ones. Part of Warframe's charm, in my opinion, is that it doesn't seem to try too hard to make things "badass". I think Limbo is a more obvious stand-out than the others, and that may put some people off. But it's definitely not indicative of some sort of grand shift in Warframe's tone. Consider that we got quite a few other new art assets this update, and none of them are under fire for being thematically inappropriate. 

Basically, it comes down to two points: the tone people think we're moving away from never really existed, and one funky frame design does not a tone shift make.

I just want to point out some DC knowledge: The Opticor was explicitly stated to be moving away from the design trends of Corpus weapons. No-one's complaining about that.

LilithLovett, on 31 Oct 2014 - 06:54 AM, said:

Never heard of a battle butler? Kicking @$$ and looking like a gentleman is nothing short of pure class.

Now I shall forever know Limbo as Mr Deeds.

And Tenno aren't ninjas, get over yourselves. That comparison was made for the sake of marketing alone.

This. I've been saying this for the longest time. The Tenno are Tenno, not Ninjas. What they Tenno look like in their warframes, how they behave, etc. Is all up to the creators of the Tenno; I.E DE.

One thing I never understood was when people complained about hydroids pirate theme being silly and not warrior like, I can see this argument for mirage or limbo but for hydroid I do't see it pirates were fearsome individuals throughout history, and were never to be taken lightly, and pirates were not limited to the Caribbean or the Atlantic region, there were japanese pirates (imagine that horrifying combination a ninja and a pirate)

as for mirage well it is possible theoretically an assassin would dress and act as a jester to get in to a kings court so they are close enough to kill their target, so it is possible for a deadly warrior to be disgized as a fool

One thing I never understood was when people complained about hydroids pirate theme being silly and not warrior like, I can see this argument for mirage or limbo but for hydroid I do't see it pirates were fearsome individuals throughout history, and were never to be taken lightly, and pirates were not limited to the Caribbean or the Atlantic region, there were japanese pirates (imagine that horrifying combination a ninja and a pirate)

as for mirage well it is possible theoretically an assassin would dress and act as a jester to get in to a kings court so they are close enough to kill their target, so it is possible for a deadly warrior to be disgized as a fool

Man, if you think about it. Every single Tenno is a space ninja pirate zombie cyborg psychic.

This starts to get boring.. Ember looks sooo ninja, as does Nekros the Zombie Master, Reindeer Fairy King Oberon and Rhino the Turtle Tank Ninja. The designs of warframes were always varied. The only thing that happened with Limbo is that he can take part of his head off and is inspired by a magician instead of a pirate/fairy king druid/jester/necromancer/phoenix(turkey)/turtle. If you wanted to draw a line of what's acceptable and what's not then now it's waaay past the time. You should have complained like one year ago or more.