Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Archwing - Crank The Speed Up To 11

Vargras

Because it just isn't fast enough. I've had situations where I've been running Interception, and a team mate on the far side of the map goes down. Even with Hyperion Thrusters, there's simply no way to get to them in time.

Of course, there's a solution for this: afterburners (or the space equivalent, at least). Some rough ideas below:

-Trigger the afterburners themselves would be accomplished via double-tapping the sprint key (or a new keybind entirely).

-Afterburners would be fueled either by stamina exclusively, or stamina and energy. Regardless of the fuel, it would be rapidly consumed, Probably at a rate of 40 stamina per second (or 20 stamina and 20 energy. If stamina runs out before energy, energy will pick up the slack and drain at a rate of 40 energy per second).

-After a brief pause in which the FOV zooms out (to give the impression of speed, which we've seen before with Volt's uh... Speed) and the sound begins to distort, you'd accelerate at a blistering pace -- so fast, in fact, that all missiles locked onto you will completely miss, and all nearby enemies will be completely unable to hit you. They can certainly try, but it's not going to happen. You're also immune to those pesky Grineer stasis mobs, so no getting slowed down either. I'm talking a rate that could easily cross 1000 meters in maybe 2-3 seconds. Compared to the current Archwing sprint speed, even with Hyperion Thrusters, this is incredibly fast.

-There would, of course, be a downside to this. After coming out of the boost, you'd be unable to regenerate stamina (or stamina and energy) for a little bit. No pickups, no auras, nothing. You're stuck at your base movement speed until then.

Hmm, good idea, but I disagree with your suggested balance.

5 energy/second for a boost to take 5-10 seconds between towers, which are between 1000-2000 meters apart normally.

Not sure what the multiplier is, but I think that's around 2-2.5x current maximum speed.

Hmm, good idea, but I disagree with your suggested balance.

5 energy/second for a boost to take 5-10 seconds between towers, which are between 1000-2000 meters apart normally.

Not sure what the multiplier is, but I think that's around 2-2.5x current maximum speed.

I stated 40 stamina (or 20 stamina and 20 energy) per second, not 5.

It needs to be expensive if it's going to be such a massive speed boost.

I stated 40 stamina (or 20 stamina and 20 energy) per second, not 5.

It needs to be expensive if it's going to be such a massive speed boost.

20-40/second stamina is fine, but 40/second energy drain is a bit steep.

Disabling pickups is also a bit much, but I am entirely for disabling energy regeneration for the duration of the effect, and stamina regeneration for the duration and a short while after.

We need a fast-break button too. I watched a guy fly past me 3 times trying to revive me.

Requires skill. Players should watch the distance in meters as they approach. Slide and then hold back when you are getting close. Press X to stop yourself and immediately go into healing. 

watch here at about 1:32/:33. Just requires Tenno to pay attention.

Edited by RawGritz

Interesting proposition, I'm going to think on this a bit more before commenting.

We need a fast-break button too. I watched a guy fly past me 3 times trying to revive me.

you can sort of brake by using the opposite directional button of the direction you are currently flying. I would say that it's more a problem of SEEING the downed tenno and recognizing that you are X distance away and need to slow down in order not to overshoot. Sometimes... the perspective seems really off, and that makes perceiving the actual distance and adjusting reaction times accordingly very difficult.

Erm, why not just reduce the size of the maps? As it stands now moving much faster than you already do in Trench Run would make navigation impossible, so why not just shrink the scale of open space missions down by 25% or something so that the distances aren't so insanely vast? 

Erm, why not just reduce the size of the maps? As it stands now moving much faster than you already do in Trench Run would make navigation impossible, so why not just shrink the scale of open space missions down by 25% or something so that the distances aren't so insanely vast? 

This isn't a problem. You obviously wouldn't use afterburners in Trench Run missions.

Shrinking the maps would stifle the scale of Free Space missions.