Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe's Vibe : Is It Really Vanishing?[Megathread Attempt]

unknow99

Old school Dark Sector/early Warframe doesn't appeal to the Pokemon crowd of gamers we got running around today, so they have to brighten everything/put rainbows and flowers everywhere. Old fashioned grittiness just doesn't attract enough customers

I just cut my finger on your edge.

I saw that video, and I'm just amazed. Are people so blinded by nostalgia they can't see what's in front of them?

It's mostly people who think that Warframe is supposed to be unnecessarily dark in all levels, and only have different shades of black and brown.

This isn't Dead Space, people. Even real life isn't that dark.

It's mostly people who think that Warframe is supposed to be unnecessarily dark in all levels, and only have different shades of black and brown.

I have played games with levels that adhered to 'Real is Brown' to that degree. Being colourblind that translated to either needing to faff about with the TV screen's gamma settings or just giving it up there and then. The Library level on Halo 1 was just...unplayable. Halo 2's Flood levels were also unplayable.

Right now, the current changes to the colouring has...made things clearer, which is quite nice. And if people don't need it, there are options to tone stuff down. All I can say at the moment is that it's made it easier for me to pick out my targets at a distance. Seriously, spotting Grineer at range is tricky with that er..Browny green armour Lancers and co wear, when prowling Asteroid tilesets with that Red ambient lighting.

Although, I sincerely find this 'Real is brown' or 'we need it greyscale or it ain't dark enough' utterly strange. The world is full of colour, especially red. If you're going to cut some things to bits bodily, surely some nice red splatter on the nearby wall is appealing? Or the lovely flickering amber of flames? 

Oh well. Each to their own, but the almost disdain people have for colour where it is...perfectly reasonable is...amusing. Really amusing.

Yes and no for me...I like the general direction the game is going (aside from a few kinks that naturally appear every once in a while)...except for the fact that some things like Archwing space missions are just too bright and colorful. 

In a solar system where the Tenno are the last bastion against the 3 (soonish 4) big factions that would all destroy what is left of the sad rest of the solar system...it sure looks like a happy place.

I don't miss the old and clunky game mechanics and systems...I don't miss the very limited amount of things to do...which feels like it has been quintupled by now.
The only thing I miss is literally the darkness and how you always felt like you were this small group of people fighting a nearly hopeless war. 

I don't disagree with the frames mentioned (you forgot cat frame valkyr). Its my opinion that the designers have gone a little overboard with the concepts. If you look at the original frames all very toned down. I think that was important because Prime frames are where they should be going overboard. I don't have a problem with the frame mentioned by the way they all have there role to play and most of them I find very enjoyable to play.

As far as atmospherics of warframe today, I don't think it has changed we're just used to it now. There are still times I catch myself running solo around derelicts and being worried. But after Unreal Tournament no game has ever got my adrenaline pumping and heart racing like it, I am just to used to it and its a shame those moments of shear panic and fear are what made me so addicted to games such as warframe.

I don't disagree with the frames mentioned (you forgot cat frame valkyr). Its my opinion that the designers have gone a little overboard with the concepts. If you look at the original frames all very toned down. 

Some of that was due to creative decisions (the old lead artist was more conservative) and some because of software limitations (engine couldn't viably accommodate more detail at the time.)  I find, however, that games end up being good in novel ways due to limitations keeping creative spread in check and distilling more focused, worked-on designs in the product.  Warframe is going through an awkward growth spurt right now and it remains to be seen whether the end result will remain exceptional.

To put a long rant into short, yes, the grim theme Warframe started it with simply DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE.

Its not less. Its just completely gone. Limbo lookd like ia @(*()$ cheap magician with a @(*()$ top hat and coat tails. Who the F*** goes to battlewearing a top hat and coat tails? WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MYSTERIOUSNESS AWESOMENESS?

We're no longer mysterious, powerful fearful beings. We're idiots running around in monkey suits managing objectives of little to no relevance.

Warframe is an amazing game, with great devs and a fast growth pace, but its not the game I had chosen to play.

I want to say that the game where we were just a few space ninjas running scared, traipsing around Galleons and fearing the righteous wrath of a high level lancer, was a better game. I honestly don't think it was, though. Maybe things are a little too bright and cheesy right now but I'll chalk that up to Warframe having no actual writers besides drunk DE_Steve.

As strange as it may seem you can still emulate that old kind of game in solo missions. It's very fun.