Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Stalker And Tenno: An Indepth Lore Speculation

ToxicTroublermaker

For 2 1/2 years the Stalker has plagued us with his dark and judgemental presence, exacting vengeance upon us for our crimes both past and present.

We have known his purpose for hunting us across the stars since the codex was introduced. We have known that his wrath is full of his hate for those that destroyed his people, the Orokin, He knows that his enemies Dread that they have provoked his punishment on them, and He knows that all have and will Despair his ruthless and precision justice that is wrought upon those that he deems deserve it.

What we DO NOT know is how he is able to harm us and present himself as such a threat to us when he himself is not a Tenno, or Warrior God as we are called. In fact he is a Low Guardian, essentially inferior to us. The question is HOW can he do this?

I have some speculative answers to that question:

HIS ARMOR/ABILITIES:

He possesses and uses, as appears to be an Excalibur Warframe yet uses multiple abilities in addition to his own strength even though he is not Tenno and would not have these powers.

The Tenno were originally beings of physical matter, humans(possibly) sent into the void and changed and also infected with the Technocyte Virus. These things gave them abilities not capable of mortal beings.

These days it isnt confirmed whether we are ONE tenno or Multiple, I think I know the answer: We are 1 Tenno... that has transcended the physical realm to a higher existence(Vor says we are energy inside shells).

You wonder why there are multiple warframes and multiple of the same type don't you? Well I believe that we all had our own Warframes at some point early in our creation and that once we transcended the frames were put into mass production. But not originally. Now we can use multiple frames because it is now the Warframes that hold our power, not us and that each frame's abilities are those of the original tenno and original frame now imprinted to the frames not the Tenno.

We are now the power for the frames that have our power and abilities, whereas before they simply conducted the chaotic nature of our powers.

Now back to the Stalker and how he ties into this.

He has a warframe that has power and abilities, the only problem is HOW he powers it whether its powered by orokin dna or the Technocyte Virus, all we known is it is not Tenno powered.

Now for his helmet.

It is not a helmet familiar to any warframe, however he once held the rank of Low Guardian and was part of the Orokin Empire now exacting vengeance.

Perhaps his helmet is his old Guardian Helmet or an old Orokin warriors helmet that, instead of gold, has been bathed in the blood his enemies as has his warframe.

Is there anything else that any one of you reading this can shed light on and explain?

I have the funny feeling he in fact trained with the Tenno, mainly Excalibur (Prime) and after the betrayal, he in fact froze himself or was frozen (perhaps by Excalibur to save him due to a friendship thing) <-- not my fan cannon at all ^^ He was then awoken by Sargent Nef as he was using the Solar Rails to recover the pods. Now he wants revenge.

We all secretly want Stalker and Excalibur together *screams like fan girl*

[size=4] But on a serious note, Ordis has kind of confirmed that we are at least able to change Frame with the Limbo quest, meaning we may actually still be 'human' or at least humanoid, which I hope. [/size]

Edited by Omega114

ordis said so in the mirage quest to

EDIT: nevermind, it was in the limbo quest

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/334786-mono-tenno-theory-confirmed/

I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again:

TENNO AREN'T ENERGY BEINGS. Vor doesn't say that Tenno are energy; he's just using a METAPHOR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Edited by (PS4)eatengeese

I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again:

TENNO AREN'T ENERGY BEINGS. Vor doesn't say that Tenno are energy; he's just using a METAPHOR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor

Then give me an explanation for how we move between frames if we arent multiple tenno. Unless you believe we are multiple tenno of course. Im open ears, not trying to push peoples buttons.

I have the funny feeling he in fact trained with the Tenno, mainly Excalibur (Prime) and after the betrayal, he in fact froze himself or was frozen (perhaps by Excalibur to save him due to a friendship thing) 

I don't understand why people are being rude about the 'energy' thing. Just because it's been mentioned multiple times doesn't mean every person's immediately going to see it.

Anyway, whether this holds possibility or not, I actually love this theory. I think we can all agree that The Stalker (of whom I've fondly nicknamed 'Shadow') has had his lore woefully neglected despite the presense of sidequests/actions you must complete if other assassins like the Harvester Zanuka or the Grustrag 3. I really hope they come up with something for Shadow. He's got a lot of potential for something side-quest-like when it comes to his codex.

He's easily become my favorite character, with Darvo and Ordis following afterwards.

Shadow deserves some love too! More lore on Shadow, please, Devs!

(For anyone questioning my whole 'Shadow' thing, well, think about it. Not only is he a smokey, ominous figure that many fear to confront, but there's no way to hide from the shadows, shadows follow you everywhere you go, and given the right moment, they'll scare ya good. ;P)

Then give me an explanation for how we move between frames if we arent multiple tenno. Unless you believe we are multiple tenno of course. Im open ears, not trying to push peoples buttons.

It has been confirmed by Ordis that we play as a single Tenno with multiple Warframes. 

My best guess as to how this is achieved is either:

A: Tenno can shapeshift.

B: Warframes have bigger-on-the-inside technology.

It has been confirmed by Ordis that we play as a single Tenno with multiple Warframes. 

My best guess as to how this is achieved is either:

A: Tenno can shapeshift.

B: Warframes have bigger-on-the-inside technology.

Ok but has it been said if we are flesh or not? I think the shapeshifting would fit with properties of the technocyte perfectly if officially confirmed I whether were flesh or spirit. And yes I know we bleed and all but still

Ok but has it been said if we are flesh or not? I think the shapeshifting would fit with properties of the technocyte perfectly if officially confirmed I whether were flesh or spirit. And yes I know we bleed and all but still

It's been hinted by various bosses that we're flesh-based beings.

"Beneath those suits exist flesh. Flesh bleeds. (User) bleeds." -Lech Kril

No such thing has been confirmed.

Ordis doesn't care who is actually in the Liset. One tenno is the same as another as far as he's concerned. He serves the tenno. He pilots the Liset for tenno. That's all he does and all he cares about. He's a limited construct. Whether it's Saryn or Trinity means nothing to him.

We DO know that the Liset is only a stealthed assault shuttle. The actual ship the tenno (your tenno and mine) dwell on is a very large spacecraft. We've seen concept art several times of this vehicle. Again, the Liset is simply there for whoever is leaving the ship to go on a mission. Nothing more and nothing less.

Nadia Sudek in Dark Sector (which is now confirmed as canon) could shapeshift into Nemesis. 

"Operator, I think I know why we're finding Limbo parts scattered throughout the system. His final rift walk was a miscal... disaster. Well, perhaps when you occupy this frame, you will use more... caution."

Yes, it has been confirmed.

Steve said that line would be changed, and more pertinent information would be provided in the upcoming Rhino Prime lore.

That combination of words means literally nothing to me.

It was the dev interview that they did on reddit. Here's the pertinent text, and a link to a recap thread

"Q: When creating dialogue for the various characters in the game, what is your general stance on breaking the 4th wall and addressing the player directly? Is it something you avoid, something that needs a good reason, or do you have no issue having NPC's speak to the player in ways that have no real meaning in-world? Here is an example, in the recent Limbo quest Ordis tells us: Operator, I think I know why we're finding Limbo parts scattered throughout the system. His final rift walk was a miscalc... disaster. Well, perhaps when you occupy the frame, you will use more... caution It's been suggested that this is intended to be a 4th wall break addressing the player and has no meaning in-world, whats your opinion on that?

A: I don't like doing this at all but I know there are some lines have slipped in that do this. That line example might get an edit to remove that ambiguity. - SS"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/338347-the-devs-answer-community-questions-lore-answers-future-plans-next-warframe-events-etc/

It was the dev interview that they did on reddit. Here's the pertinent text, and a link to a recap thread

"Q: When creating dialogue for the various characters in the game, what is your general stance on breaking the 4th wall and addressing the player directly? Is it something you avoid, something that needs a good reason, or do you have no issue having NPC's speak to the player in ways that have no real meaning in-world? Here is an example, in the recent Limbo quest Ordis tells us: Operator, I think I know why we're finding Limbo parts scattered throughout the system. His final rift walk was a miscalc... disaster. Well, perhaps when you occupy the frame, you will use more... caution It's been suggested that this is intended to be a 4th wall break addressing the player and has no meaning in-world, whats your opinion on that?

A: I don't like doing this at all but I know there are some lines have slipped in that do this. That line example might get an edit to remove that ambiguity. - SS"

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/338347-the-devs-answer-community-questions-lore-answers-future-plans-next-warframe-events-etc/

Thank you for providing a link.

As for the response from DE... that can be taken several ways. As it is now, though, the evidence points very sharply towards us being a single organic Tenno who wears multiple 'frames. That opinion may or may not change depending on how that such lines are altered.

Edited by fishworshipper

There is just as much or more material pointing to tenno as individual as a the single tenno theory.

At the lore stands presently, you always run into gameplay vs. narrative issues. This is unavoidable since we are playing a game. Also, when looking at this stuff as the player constructing your own "head canon" you MUST use Occam's Razor when evaluating what you read. If it seems excessively complex or makes no sense, then you should reserve judgement until more information is available.

This is what keep that idiot "tenno is energy" thing going and it's blatantly ridiculous one the surface. Until we see some evidence that the Orokin could morph physical forms on demand or, worse, transubstantiate (using Latin root here) to energy and back it can be safely dismissed--at least for now. It's a huge reach and there are simpler explanations.

There is just as much or more material pointing to tenno as individual as a the single tenno theory.

At the lore stands presently, you always run into gameplay vs. narrative issues. This is unavoidable since we are playing a game. Also, when looking at this stuff as the player constructing your own "head canon" you MUST use Occam's Razor when evaluating what you read. If it seems excessively complex or makes no sense, then you should reserve judgement until more information is available.

This is what keep that idiot "tenno is energy" thing going and it's blatantly ridiculous one the surface. Until we see some evidence that the Orokin could morph physical forms on demand or, worse, transubstantiate (using Latin root here) to energy and back it can be safely dismissed--at least for now. It's a huge reach and there are simpler explanations.

Why is it ridiculous?