Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Prime's Codex

Morec0

Morec0, I simply ask all who have played Dark Sector and know the Lore, if the TC was man-made. I was just wondering *if* Steve might have changed the past by deciding the TC is Alien. And then come full circle in future codexes.

Is it not true in any event that the Void wad introduced as a place the Tenno got their powers from?

this was a direct message that Hayden Tenno had a different affliction, the same virus that spawned the infested if I understand it correctly.

Ever since the Excalibur codex I have thought the Tenno were Void-freaks, mutants kept alive because they were placed in suits.

But still with a sense of honor and nobility.

Now we are talking about energy, posession and brutal beasts.

Sure you might be absolutely right. We are the children of these cloned monsters. We somehow operate these half-alive bionic machines, and are basically bodyless I guess?

Steve said this codex would clear some things up regarding the frame swapping. But it just confuses me to be honest.

Here's a transcription (I copied it from another post, not sure if it's word-for-word):

Sorry for the white, don't know how to fix it. I suggest quoting this post and reading it in the quote.

Edit Yaer: Fixed that for you, Tenno. Use Ctrl+Shift+V to paste without any format.

Here it is without the white: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/346158-rhino-primes-codex/?p=3867968 (or just scroll down a bit, same thread)

Red lights flashing on stark, white walls.  Davis is running ahead of me, dropping his notes.  We're running for our lives.  The fear gives me a strange perspective - I'm out of my body.  I've forgotten how I got here.  I don't recognize this place.

Davis and I slam pinned against a cell door and he shouts at me.  I give him a dumb look.  I can't hear him, the sirens, anything, only the muffled throb of terror in my head.  I turn away from Davis down the hall and I see it.  The hulking mass, flickering red, glinting like steel and fresh blood.  Its skin changes, flowing like mercury when I'm blinded by the sudden muzzle-flashes.  They do no good.  The beast surges forward and the security men become crimson mist and gore.

I'm a statue, a cornered animal.  A gate opens inside me and recognition floods in.  I have seen this monster before.  I have cut its shell and eviscerated its brothers.  I have given it pain and measured its response.  I have crafted then rejected countless like it.  But I've never seen this beast so close, without the shield, without restraints.  I have never seen it... free.

I know I will die so I just watch with curious acceptance.  The beast squats down, shovelling a heap of gore into its mouth.  It is watching me with vague eyes, a sense of recognition, ancestral memory.  It knows who I am and what I've done.  It rears up like a bear and roars, shattering the lights and casting us into darkness.  I can hear it lumbering toward me, its metal fingers rending the walls, but I know I am dead.  I close my eyes stand ready to pay.

I feel the pull on my arm and realize Davis got the cell open.  He tugs me into the cell beyond and I fall on my bacl.  I see Davis standing at the open door, waiting, as the monster tears towards us.

Suddenly I could live through this I shout, Davis, close the goddamn door!" - But he shakes his head eyes wide as moons.  He shouts, "Watch!" over the roaring and rending of metal.

Then silence.  Davis is panting, laughing?  The beast fills the doorway, inches from him, dripping in blood, but still without violence.  It stands there, looking at its hands.  Davis whispers, "No one would have believed me."

I crawl up the wall to stand, opposite the door.  I've never seen this cell, a cold place with an array of shelves.  A morgue?  "Where are we, Davis?"

"This is where they keep them.  The ones from Zariman."  I'm thrown, what was the Zariman?  The ship that never returned?  "Davis, what's going on?"

Davis turns to me, a smile forming - "What's going on is..." he turns back to the beast now silent and calm.

"...big fat promotions."

So... What do we make of this? What is there to make of this?

This settles the Tenno have bodies once and for all - you put bodies in the Morgue, after all, not ghosts -  imo, but other than that... I don't even know what to think. These guys are Orokin (Orokin Davis is my new favorite character, fyi).

Best I can figure: that thing is a Rhino without its frame. It stays out of the morgue because it doesn't want to go near its own dead. The flesh changes, so maybe we are indeed shape shifters of some kind? A living metal?

DISCUSS!

tenno out of warframes.

tenno get infested.

S#&$ gets real.

galaxy dies.

The technocyte virus is involved in all of this--this being tenno encased in warframes, "us" in other words. It's incontrovertible. What we seen in RhinoP's entry here is straight out of Dark Sector.

The new element is the void. The shell is technocyte derived, the core (the part that has the powers) is void exposure derived. Or so it seems at present.

Also, after rereading this a few times, I think it's pretty apparent Davis engineered this incident. He apparently had some ideas about the Zariman children and their experimental technocyte infected proto-soldier. We're not privy to his exact thinking or where the idea came from, but apparently he had some revelation and believed the only way to get anyone to pay serious attention to it was to engineer an event so dramatic it simply couldn't be ignored. Apparently, he succeeded.

This also gives us a glimpse into what the Orokin Empire was like at this juncture. Ethics evidently went out the window a long time ago when you look at this project. It reeks of desperation and unbridled ambition. At best, it's breathtakingly amoral. At worst, it's outright evil.

Corpus weren't around at this time.

The Orokin version of the Corpus probably were, though. Hell, these 2 guys probably ARE Orokin-Era Corpus. I mean, look at it: focusing on technology, research for the sake of research, the parallels to Valkyr (as mentioned earlier in the thread), and, most importantly, "Big, fat, promotions." Profit numbs the feeling, anyone?

It'd also explain why the Corpus sometimes refer to us as "The Betrayers" - they existed in the Orokin Era and witnessed us perform our betrayal against the Orokin, forever passing this down...until we resurfaced, and they once more had an image to put to the name.

They may not have been called the Corpus in the Orokin Era, but I believe that the humans we see in this entry (the survivors) are some of the ones whose descendents would form the faction we see today as the Corpus.

I wonder if tenno look for emotional support from other tenno? Does unstable Rhino talk to stable Vauban when he's feeling particularly monstrous?

There's a lot of subtext here, especially in the "looking at its hands" part. 

Rhino: And then... she told me that she hated me... *sniff* and I roared in her face and blew up all the lights... and she cried and left the house... What I should do...?

Vauban: SHUT UP I'M MAKING PEOPLE BOUNCE LIKE IDIOTS!

((Posting this here as well because it's likely easier to keep track of discussions moving around this ))

Sadly, as I got to this last part I realized "that Rhino used abilities... granted its abilities would be something less that mystical like.. Frost's, but" and this does ruin a lot of the theory. But I can't help but think there is SOMETHING here in this. Mock me if you want, call me and idiot and just say "you just admitted you're wrong, why make this post at all?" but I just have a gut feeling I'm scratching at the surface with this, so maybe someone else could figure it out where I failed.

If not, have a little fodder for your own science fiction stories.

---
---

Probably said (in fact I know it has) already, but I want to write this down real quick before I forget:

That Rhino was a proto-Warframe, not a Tenno. It was running about on its own because those early experiments were Infested - hence the closeness it has to the Dark Sector Colossus in its description. It broke free, it went mad, and it was hungry.

So, Davis and.. we'll call the Narrator Phil - Phil ran from it, and Davis - following a theory he had - headed for a "morgue?" - and yes, the quotation marks are necessary. Davis doesn't close the door because 1) he knows that wont stop it, probably, and 2) he knows (or at least strongly believes) his theory is right.

And what is that theory?

That the Zariman children could connect with the Technocyte monsters.

Why he would believe this is room for a future codex entry, but Davis knew about the children before, probably worked with them before the project was put on ice (literally), and so ran to them because he hoped that whatever psychic connection the children could make with the beast would be enough to save them.

"But they were in a morgue" you say "the children were dead!"

Were they? Recall Phil's uncertainty as to where they are. He'd "never seen this cell" before in his life, and he doesn't recognize it as a morgue, he speculates it as one - hence the ? at the end of the word. I think it wasn't a morgue: I think it was a stasis chamber. The Children from the Zariman were being kept there - probably since they were removed from the ship - and studied, studied by people like Davis.

So while I've very much certain mono-Tenno theory is still a thing (and for those of you who don't know what that is: it's "one Tenno per account that switches frames via arsenal") I believe we still don't know what the Tenno physically look like: only what the Warframes once were and how the earliest connection between them and the Infested were made.

This is supplemented by Lephantis’ “we are your flesh”

This supports Kril’s “second skin just as easily as the first” - which also stems into Vor's talk about ripping the Tenno from their metal womb.

((Posting this here as well because it's likely easier to keep track of discussions moving around this ))

Sadly, as I got to this last part I realized "that Rhino used abilities... granted its abilities would be something less that mystical like.. Frost's, but" and this does ruin a lot of the theory. But I can't help but think there is SOMETHING here in this. Mock me if you want, call me and idiot and just say "you just admitted you're wrong, why make this post at all?" but I just have a gut feeling I'm scratching at the surface with this, so maybe someone else could figure it out where I failed.

---
---

Probably said (in fact I know it has) already, but I want to write this down real quick before I forget:

That Rhino was a proto-Warframe, not a Tenno. It was running about on its own because those early experiments were Infested - hence the closeness it has to the Dark Sector Colossus in its description. It broke free, it went mad, and it was hungry.

So, Davis and.. we'll call the Narrator Phil - Phil ran from it, and Davis - following a theory he had - headed for a "morgue?" - and yes, the quotation marks are necessary. Davis doesn't close the door because 1) he knows that wont stop it, probably, and 2) he knows (or at least strongly believes) his theory is right.

And what is that theory?

Why he would believe this is room for a future codex entry, but Davis knew about the children before, probably worked with them before the project was put on ice (literally), and so ran to them because he hoped that whatever psychic connection the children could make with the beast would be enough to save them.

Were they? Recall Phil's uncertainty as to where they are. He'd "never seen this cell" before in his life, and he doesn't recognize it as a morgue, he speculates it as one - hence the ? at the end of the word. I think it wasn't a morgue: I think it was a stasis chamber. The Children from the Zariman were being kept there - probably since they were removed from the ship - and studied, studied by people like Davis.

So while I've very much certain mono-Tenno theory is still a thing (and for those of you who don't know what that is: it's "one Tenno per account that switches frames via arsenal") I believe we still don't know what the Tenno physically look like: only what the Warframes once were and how the earliest connection between them and the Infested were made.

This supports Kril’s “second skin just as easily as the first” - which also stems into Vor's talk about ripping the Tenno from their metal womb.

and that actually makes a sense... :)

I have to admit that you were faster in posting full theory that is based on that thing with warframes [need to get on writing down the one I promised :P] but I also was considering that only place I can find apropriate for even considering technocyte was a warframe (actually I though that "build around them" frames was made somewhat in a way of mixing somekind of cloned fresh from children with technocyte to get the "armor" - but more on this when I'll write down my theory that I have in mind ^^)

---
---

And what is that theory?

This... makes sense... And a lot...

Sadly the Arid Fear Codex entry about "we find nothing to explain their powers" and "you Tenno are the energy that powers the Warframes" from the opening quest say NOPE the idea. But it just fits TOO well, though! There's SOMETHING in that thought, I just can't grasp at what...

If I'm understanding your current issue, is it possible that the context of 'Arid Fear' is supposedly 'before' Vor's Prize? Ergo, Tenno confound Vor then because he, as yet, had never gotten a chance to study a living Tenno and, going on the whole 'possession' angle, well...A dead body doesn't exactly have much in the way of an animus any more.

Compare this circumstance then with how Vor's use of the Ascaris gives him a chance to see a living Tenno's body in function, which in effect fills the holes in his personal theories, or rather destroys them. It would also work as a nice explanation for why that metaphor struck him so.

Have to admit, were it not for his whole Grineer warrior context, Vor could have made a good scientist. His curiosity is sure there, as is his resourcefulness. Ah well. Suppose I'm partial to being sympathetic to the plight of knowledge seekers. Would be interesting how things could be different, really. Least he makes a good fight in the Void, I guess.

In my opinion this confirms Poly-Tenno theory as this Warframe-less Rhino seems to be specific to being Rhino, not like he can switch frames and be a little Nova.

This confirms nothing, it can literally be interpreted 100 different ways, so stop with that

The only thing that COULD be assumed is that the Orokin were defiantly human, and the Tenno have a darker past than most of us realized. And it rules out things like the Orokin training the Tenno in schools and what not. They were experiments.

If I'm understanding your current issue, is it possible that the context of 'Arid Fear' is supposedly 'before' Vor's Prize? Ergo, Tenno confound Vor then because he, as yet, had never gotten a chance to study a living Tenno and, going on the whole 'possession' angle, well...A dead body doesn't exactly have much in the way of an animus any more.

Compare this circumstance then with how Vor's use of the Ascaris gives him a chance to see a living Tenno's body in function, which in effect fills the holes in his personal theories, or rather destroys them. It would also work as a nice explanation for why that metaphor struck him so.

Have to admit, were it not for his whole Grineer warrior context, Vor could have made a good scientist. His curiosity is sure there, as is his resourcefulness. Ah well. Suppose I'm partial to being sympathetic to the plight of knowledge seekers. Would be interesting how things could be different, really. Least he makes a good fight in the Void, I guess.

Thing is, I don't think those Zariman children were dead - just in stasis, a kiddy cryonap, if you will.

But I'd definitely say that Vor's Prize is after Arid Fear's conclusion - which makes it interesting to see how that'll have to change to accommodate new players, should they reintroduce events like it as a quest.

The Zariman children may have been in stasis, but Grineer policy for Tenno in Cryopods probably involves a significant quantity of lead before they let their scientists at it. In fact that's literally what the Queen's tell Vor in his 'demotion' video; don't wake the vipers, kill the eggs before they hatch.

Course, I might be misunderstanding your point...still, Vor's statements line up with someone finally given the evidence he needs to make sense of what he knows, even if it is transient.

As for later inclusions, I guess it's one of those things that the writing team will deal with when it comes up. Can't beat a good old retcon after all.

The Zariman children may have been in stasis, but Grineer policy for Tenno in Cryopods probably involves a significant quantity of lead before they let their scientists at it. In fact that's literally what the Queen's tell Vor in his 'demotion' video; don't wake the vipers, kill the eggs before they hatch.

Course, I might be misunderstanding your point...still, Vor's statements line up with someone finally given the evidence he needs to make sense of what he knows, even if it is transient.

As for later inclusions, I guess it's one of those things that the writing team will deal with when it comes up. Can't beat a good old retcon after all.

Oooooh, the dead bodies you were talking about were... gotcha. My bad.

I'm gonna call it right here: the next codex entry will be about the Old War - taking place after Mag Prime's Codex entry. And the one following that will be about the kids again.

And that'd be either Nyx, Loki or Frost's entry looking to be next for some lore, wouldn't it?

Should be interesting to see. Although it'd be nice to have some Codex entries from the PoV of the Orokin elite, the Cold and Gold emperors themselves for a change. Even if it just confirms how distinct they are from Davis, Kaleen and the other rank and file subjects of the empire.

Thinking about it, I guess we could argue the Lore is like Forma; every piece we get changes the shape of the narrative a little. Bah, sorry...poetic asides~

So a warframe might be a grown artificial, Infested-symbiot needing a human host in order to function.

Perhaps the whole "built a frame around them" was very litteral and way more gruesome than we thought.

Steve said a brain and spine moved from frame to frame was not entirely wrong. Maby it was more right than he was willing to admit?

And that'd be either Nyx, Loki or Frost's entry looking to be next for some lore, wouldn't it?

Should be interesting to see. Although it'd be nice to have some Codex entries from the PoV of the Orokin elite, the Cold and Gold emperors themselves for a change. Even if it just confirms how distinct they are from Davis, Kaleen and the other rank and file subjects of the empire.

Thinking about it, I guess we could argue the Lore is like Forma; every piece we get changes the shape of the narrative a little. Bah, sorry...poetic asides~

My plat's on Frost.

I think as we get closer to our Eradication of them from our PoV, we'll get something like that. After all, it's not like ANY of the other narrators have been Tenno, and there were only so many types of people people present at that ceremony...

There's been talk of what the Forma is before, I can't recall any of it though.

So a warframe might be a grown artificial, Infested-symbiot needing a human host in order to function.

Perhaps the whole "built a frame around them" was very litteral and way more gruesome than we thought.

Steve said a brain and spine moved from frame to frame was not entirely wrong. Maby it was more right than he was willing to admit?

When on earth did he say that?

On the reddit thing.

He said Rhino P Codex would give more hints to the whole mono vs poly theories.

Could you provide the link? I didn't see that part.

Speaking of that conversation! Has anyone gone back to the Limbo quest to see what's changed? Naturally you'd need to make a second account, but it's for the sake of story!

The Forma comment was just an analogy, for how the Lore changes 'shape' as more of it is revealed.

Otherwise, the day we get a codex entry for the Terminus Incident, is the day that we get the other side to the Stalker's account so we can get a clearer view of what happened that day.

Here's hoping you don't lose your plat now.

I believe that according to the original notice from Vor after the end of Arid Fear, he wasn't the one who examined the dead Tenno. He says that it's the SCIENTISTS who tear them from their metal wombs and gesticulate wildly about rapid diffusion or whatever it was (I can't access them ingame any more and the lore isn't on the wiki, as far as my quick search could tell). The scientists probably don't have anywhere near the same interests as Vor with respect to the Tenno, so they would be more apt to miss something he might not.

Could you provide the link? I didn't see that part.

Speaking of that conversation! Has anyone gone back to the Limbo quest to see what's changed? Naturally you'd need to make a second account, but it's for the sake of story!

I've been trying to dig around some YouTube videos to see if anyone showed the updated quest, no results thus far. Perhaps I can dig up that old account of mine and try to level him up enough to do the quest...

I believe that according to the original notice from Vor after the end of Arid Fear, he wasn't the one who examined the dead Tenno. He says that it's the SCIENTISTS who tear them from their metal wombs and gesticulate wildly about rapid diffusion or whatever it was (I can't access them ingame any more and the lore isn't on the wiki, as far as my quick search could tell). The scientists probably don't have anywhere near the same interests as Vor with respect to the Tenno, so they would be more apt to miss something he might not.

I went digging into the codex again, sadly all the even entries have been removed so I can't provide an answer. I did notice though that there's another unknown quest in the codex on top of the new ones. More lore perhaps in the near future...?

I went digging into the codex again, sadly all the even entries have been removed so I can't provide an answer. I did notice though that there's another unknown quest in the codex on top of the new ones. More lore perhaps in the near future...?

Well they're going to keep adding quests until the game dies, but I think that constant Unknown Quest that's always there is just a placeholder they keep in to make the coding process easier - sort of a quick "this is how you code it in" reference guide.

-David and the other man were Orokin scientist: "I have given it pain and measured its response.  I have crafted then rejected countless like it." this means that they created Warframes and experimented with them.

-The "Beast" is the Rhino PRIME, why prime? because they are the ones who returned from the void aboard of that ship called Zariman.

Edited by Akuarius