The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Player's Hub [1St Step To Dedicated Server?]

Phoenix86

As title says...

Is this a vain hope of mine?

or are HUBs a 1st step to finally end all the p2p connection (and problems) in favor of much stable dedicated servers?

EDIT:

for clarity: it's obvious that HUBs will be running on dedicated servers... it's impossible that a single player can host 100-200 ppl

my hope is that Dedicated Servers will expand to the whole game and HUBs are just the 1st step

Hope it's clearer now

Edited by Phoenix86

How are hubs supposed to work without a dedicated server?

One person can hardly host for 16 players or more (there are examples where exactly this is being done... and it's horrible.).... It would be a mess.

that's why my hopes are for dedicated servers... EVERYWHERE, i tought it was clear that i meant "dedicated server everywhere, not for hubs only"

i'll edit OP for clarity

that's why my hopes are for dedicated servers... EVERYWHERE, i tought it was clear that i meant "dedicated server everywhere, not for hubs only"

i'll edit OP for clarity

Ah okay... sry for getting it wrong... yes, dedicated servers everywhere would be cool.

Host migration usually ends with "connection lost" for me....

I'd rather DE add more funtionality to the game rather than a useless HUB world.

sometimes u gotta look beyond ur nose

Dedicated servers cost money, so doubtful they'll expand it to missions, sadly.

Why not, given their latest financial manouvres and incomes...

they can do it if they want to, imho

Edited by Phoenix86

Hubs to me would be awesome with isolated chat systems, based on distance if you will. I'm not a whizz, so I don't know what that system is called, but it allows people to clump together in small groups even inside the large open space of the hubs.

I'm certain my computer can host one hundred players without any issues. I can not wait till the day when dual core cpu's and ten year video cards will simply not run a game.

The thing is, you can probably host a hundred players, but those hundred players might as well be playing a slideshow. Fundamental issue with P2P is that the rigs won't sync up 99% of the time.

My only problem with switching to pure dedicated servers is that I've played enough with people that using P2P we are perfectly fine.  We switch to a game with dedicated servers and lag everywhere.

The problem being that they would have to start up a *lot* of servers to support everything with minimal lag between players.
In quite a few games I've encountered more lag because of dedicated servers than without because of various issues that only occur with dedicated servers.  Mainly that my connection to my friends are rock solid and no lag, but our connection to their server is horrible because of distance, tons of people, etc.

Plus, there would inevitably be the "Server is full, please wait in queue...." that plagues all dedicated server games that I would rather avoid for playing normal missions.

Edited by Tsukinoki

My only problem with switching to pure dedicated servers is that I've played enough with people that using P2P we are perfectly fine.  We switch to a game with dedicated servers and lag everywhere.

The problem being that they would have to start up a *lot* of servers to support everything with minimal lag between players.

In quite a few games I've encountered more lag because of dedicated servers than without because of various issues that only occur with dedicated servers.  Mainly that my connection to my friends are rock solid and no lag, but our connection to their server is horrible because of distance, tons of people, etc.

Plus, there would inevitably be the "Server is full, please wait in queue...." that plagues all dedicated server games that I would rather avoid for playing normal missions.

I completely forgot about latency issues and other things....

You're right.... one server won't do- They'd have to have one or more servers in every region. :/

@WEREsandrock
Especially for regions like Europe which includes all of Russia.
Quite a few servers needed there to avoid lag for most European players.
Cant leave an entire continent with lag issues.

While I can see hubs working as dedicated servers that are peppered throughout the world, for mission instances I don't see that working.
Especially with cross region friends.

I've played with friends in Europe in a private party just fine.  No lag for anyone and it was a very enjoyable mission.
But other games with them are stymied because of dedicated servers that one of us may have a solid connection to but the other doesnt.

So just so that I am perfectly clear:
-Dedicated servers for hubs?
Sure, go ahead.
-Dedicated servers for all missions?
Hek no.

Edited by Tsukinoki

All hubs are going to be hosted on servers in new york as far as I can recall. EWhich is really cool if you live in a place like New Zealand (Dat ping MMN) 

Regardless, i doubt that DE will actually go for dedicated servers for normal gameplay, given the limitations there (aka, needing servers everywhere to support all locations as well as being abble to roll-out updates etc to those servers)

It is a nice thought, since proper servers bring a lot of stability into a game, but it won't happen any time soon.

As title says...

EDIT:

100-200 ppl

well with all the details and shizzles i doubt  it would be lagfree...

my PC somtimes shakes when people join a map.. no matter if i host or someone else..... imagine 100 people.. wearing all the fancy atachments... lagfest

Edited by Vyra

Actually I'd like to see the P2P part being remained for actual sessions... Dedicated servers would mean a lot more costs for DE, which would eventually be carried by the players and I don't see that going without a radical change in the way DE makes Platinum, which might lead to us having Dedicated Servers but it's not worth playing anymore because of how many things end up with so ridiculous low drop chances that it's almost like if the entire game is Platinum-gated.

I have no problems with stuff like the Hubs though because they don't need a complete server-farm to maintain.

Edited by MeduSalem